• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB - Official 2012 Season Thread: Bringing in Bobby V to Change Our Culture |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alucard

Banned
So, what's up with the Jays? Every time I've looked at them in the standings the past 3-4 years, they've always sat at that 2-3 games above or below .500 mark. Doesn't seem like they've made any progress. Jays fans?

The Mets will activate Mike Baxter from the 15-day disabled list in time for tomorrow night’s game against the Giants in San Francisco.

Baxter has been on the disabled list since June 1 after displacing his collarbone and breaking his rib cartilage on a catch against the left field wall to preserve Johan Santana‘s no-hitter.

To make room for Baxter on the active roster, the Mets will option Kirk Nieuwenhuis to Triple-A Buffalo.

In 91 games this season, Nieuwenhuis is hitting .252 with seven home runs and 28 RBI in 282 at-bats.

However, Nieuwenhuis is just 4-for-38 with 18 strikeouts in 16 games during July, and just 24 for his last 122 with eight walks and 44 strikeouts since June 1.
Kirk will probably be gone until September callups. He's going to needs to learn how to read the ball and some semblance of plate discipline. Jason Bay is probably going to be sent to the minors cut hopefully traded to Pittsburgh relegated to platoon duty against LHP... which he can't hit anyway.
Hey, that's Future Hall of Famer Andrew Jones to you.
AndruwJones.gif

Andruw is a Hall of Famer though.
I'm referring to the name actually. But seriously, IS he a sure HoF? Did he have enough dominant seasons where he was like Top 5-10 at his position? Enough HRs (He at 432, and the Steroid Era made the 400 HR meaningless)? The all-around benchmarks? He's a career .250-ish hitter who might actually fall short of the 2,000 hit mark. He's very iffy to me.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
I'm referring to the name, and really IS he a sure HoF? Did he have enough domination seasons here he was Top 5 at his position? Enough HRs (He at 432, and the Steroid Era made the 400 HR meaningless)? He's very iffy to me.
from 1996 to 2006 he is third in fWAr behind bonds and a-rod. He has the 6th most fwar among active position players (72.6) (Jeter is 75.6 fyi). He is 9th all time in CF fWAR. etc... etc... etc... one of the best, if not the best defensive center fielders of all time and an above average hitter, dude deserves to be in the hall.

Windu

CF fWAR rank

1998 1st
1999 1st
2000 1st
2001 6th
2002 1st (T)
2003 3rd
2004 3rd
2005 1st
2006 3rd
2007 9th

His last decent season was 2007, where he had 26 HRs and 94 RBIs... and hit .222. The Hall is gonna have to sift through a lotta crap.

I like to use BR's Hall Of Fame monitors because alot of the time they give accurate representations of the player's chances/if they actually make it.

Black Ink - Batting - 10 (239), Average HOFer ≈ 27
Gray Ink - Batting - 47 (534), Average HOFer ≈ 144
Hall of Fame Monitor - Batting - 109 (138), Likely HOFer ≈ 100
Hall of Fame Standards - Batting - 33 (240), Average HOFer ≈ 50

After reading to breakdowns of how each test is calcuated, does he have a chance to make it? Yes. Is it a sure thing? Not at all, which is just what I was trying to say earlier. That huge mysterious dropoff in production after 2006 and hiim hanging on isn't helping him any.

Windu

yeah he is not a sure thing because voters are dumb, but he most definitely deserves to be in, one of the best players of his generation. I try not to predict what the voters will do though.

ianswoody

yeah he is not a sure thing because voters are dumb, but he most definitely deserves to be in, one of the best players of his generation. I try not to predict what the voters will do though.

Yeah, the Santo debacle just furthered my distrust in the Hall to do the right thing. Went to the Braves/Yankees series a couple months back and was surprised by the lack of love the home crowd showed a visiting Andruw though.

Yeah, the Santo debacle just furthered my distrust in the Hall to do the right thing. Went to the Braves/Yankees series a couple months back and was surprised by the lack of love the home crowd showed a visiting Andruw though.

No one's going to cheer a Yankee. Teixeira gets booed out of the stadium.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
There's a report out of Pence to the Giants. Seems legit.

http://bit.ly/PeDTwG

Also:
@JeffPasan
Sources: Boston called Texas and Atlanta within last 48 hours trying to dump Josh Beckett. No deal is imminent. Red Sox gauging Interest.

Lol

Edit: Haha, nevermind, already shot down by the Giants.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Why? He's at best marginally better than Pagan and Blanco this year. Doesn't make a whole lot of sense but I suppose thats the norm.

edit: missed your edit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom