• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB - Official 2012 Season Thread: Bringing in Bobby V to Change Our Culture |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

cashman

Banned
Now, if they traded us...Olt AND Juruckson Profar...and maybe someone like, Ogando...then we could have something brewing.

In that case, you better include Hamels, along with cliff Lee, and the proceed to pay for half of their contracts.

Jon

Haha, I am not, truly, but if we are unloading, I want as close to a sure thing prospect as I can get! Lee is still an elite pitcher...I wish we could keep him. If they are committed to trading him, then it's time to loot someone's system. No more Phillippe Aumonts or J.C. Ramirez(s).

I'd take Profar and Ogando and call it a day...he could take over for Jimmy in 2 years and be the franchise shortstop -- although a lot of teams could say the same thing. I think Texas wants him more than they are leading on...to get to the World Series twice and lose twice has to have a sour taste. They want to finish the deal.

eznark

Banned
Haha, I am not, truly, but if we are unloading, I want as close to a sure thing prospect as I can get! Lee is still an elite pitcher...I wish we could keep him. If they are committed to trading him, then it's time to loot someone's system. No more Phillippe Aumonts or J.C. Ramirez(s).

I'd take Profar and Ogando and call it a day...he could take over for Jimmy in 2 years and be the franchise shortstop.

I think that is possible. As long as you pay every last cent of the Lee's salary for the next 4 years.

c'mon dude

Jon

I think that is possible. As long as you pay every last cent of the Lee's salary for the next 4 years.

c'mon dude

What is the Rangers plan with Profar, seriously? Elvis Andrus is only 23 years old. Are they going to trade him? A proven commodity at SS, entering the prime of his career? The Rangers would get a top of the rotation starter (at a discount, considering the Phillies will probably pay a chunk of the salary). Then, the Phillies who also need some bullpen help could ask for Ogando, who has had injury issues and some inconsistency. I think it isn't THAT big of a stretch. Granted, it would be a tough deal, but if the Rangers want their man, they'll pay up.

JABEE

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/a-hypothetical-rangers-trade-for-cliff-lee

Fangraphs predicts candidates to come to Phillies if Lee trade to Texas happened.

One from:
• Mike Olt, 3B, B (although, who’s likely more of a B+ now, given his rating in Sickels’ midseason prospect list)
• Leonys Martin, OF, B

Plus two from:
• Cody Buckel, RHP, B
• Justin Grimm, RHP, B-
• Luis Sardinas, SS, C+

They did a pretty good job of predicting the return for Greinke. For people who watch a lot of minor league baseball, how good would this deal be for the Phillies?

cashman

Banned
What is the Rangers plan with Profar, seriously? Elvis Andrus is only 23 years old. Are they going to trade him? A proven commodity at SS, entering the prime of his career? The Rangers would get a top of the rotation starter (at a discount, considering the Phillies will probably pay a chunk of the salary). Then, the Phillies who also need some bullpen help could ask for Ogando, who has had injury issues and some inconsistency. I think it isn't THAT big of a stretch. Granted, it would be a tough deal, but if the Rangers want their man, they'll pay up.

They would have Profar move to second and Kinsler to left. They could also trade Andrus in a blockbuster deal for someone like Justin Upton. One thing is for certain though, Profar isn't going anywhere.

Jon

I guess I don't understand it. Wouldn't most teams kill for Andrus? This guy is the proven player...Profar (although he looks legit) is still an unknown. Why not trade the question mark and sign Andrus to the extension?

I'm not saying this to help make my argument, I'm just honestly curious as to the thinking behind it. Rarely do you see two guys so close in age at the same position in one system.

Scott Miller of CBS Sports says the Dodgers and Cubs are "gaining momentum" on a deal that would send Ryan Dempster AND Alfonso Soriano to the Dodgers. However, Dempster's still hanging up things and isn't communicating with the Cubs as much as they'd like, despite the Dodgers being Dempster's "first choice". He says the Cubs are "bending over backwards" trying to deal Dempster to a playoff contender, but he's really frustrating them with his lack of decision-making.

Braves and Nationals are still rumored to be in it for Dempster, although the Braves will now not offer Randall Delgado.

eznark

Banned
I guess I don't understand it. Wouldn't most teams kill for Andrus? This guy is the proven player...Profar (although he looks legit) is still an unknown. Why not trade the question mark and sign Andrus to the extension?

I'm not saying this to help make my argument, I'm just honestly curious as to the thinking behind it. Rarely do you see two guys so close in age at the same position in one system.

I think fans are way higher on Andrus that most scouts/teams. Plus, Andrus is not cheap and is a FA soon.

Jon

I think fans are way higher on Andrus that most scouts/teams. Plus, Andrus is not cheap and is a FA soon.

If I were a Rangers fan, given their financial situation, it'd be a tough pill to swallow to allow Andrus to walk as an FA.

Jon

Amaro is the nervous paranoid methhead of baseball GMs.

Having him at the helm is both exciting and terrifying at the same time. You don't know what he's going to do. You really have to praise his first Lee deal, giving up garbage prospects. Then, the Halladay deal worked out pretty well.

On the flipside, we have the two Houston deals which were fucking terrible.

All I know is that it keeps things interesting, at least.

EDIT: Dylan Bundy for Blanton. Who says no?

JABEE

Having him at the helm is both exciting and terrifying at the same time. You don't know what he's going to do. You really have to praise his first Lee deal, giving up garbage prospects. Then, the Halladay deal worked out pretty well.

On the flipside, we have the two Houston deals which were fucking terrible.

All I know is that it keeps things interesting, at least.

EDIT: Dylan Bundy for Blanton. Who says no?

The Cliff Lee trade the Phillies made to Seattle was awful though.

cashman

Banned
Andrus is a great player imo. Spectacular defense and with a good bat, and mature approach. The thing is though, Profar is just better.

Keith Law on Profar

Profar has the ultimate mark of an elite prospect. He keeps improving even as he is challenged with better competition. In this case, the Rangers jumped the 19-year-old two levels to Double-A, where he has continued to hit for average, get on base, make contact, show surprising power for his size, hit from both sides of the plate and play plus defense. There's no real hole in his game, and he looks as if he'll be more than ready for the majors before he turns 21 -- another mark of a potential superstar -- if the Rangers can create a spot for him.

The Rangers would want to keep both if they could, but I don't know if that's really possible since Andrus becomes a free agent at the end of 2014, the same time when Jeter should be ready to retire for the Yankees.

eznark

Banned
If they lose Andrus it would almost certainly be through a huge trade and a decision Texas would make to go in another direction. How could they let him go for just compensatory picks?

They obviously wouldn't. An established SS is massively valuable in today's MLB.

That's my point, exactly. That's why Profar is even more valuable as a trade chip.

This makes zero sense to me in the context of this conversation.

Jon

This makes zero sense to me in the context of this conversation.

Well, I see your point that he won't be cheap, but you agreed with me that they are likely to keep Andrus when he becomes a FA. So that's why I think Profar should be valued as a super-prospect that could net a top-tier current MLB player. Granted, this will not be Cliff Lee, but I think it could happen down the road.

EDIT: Coincidentally, Ben Badler was just asked this question on Twitter, and he believes they will trade Andrus once Profar is ready.

eznark

Banned
Well, I see your point that he won't be cheap, but you agreed with me that they are likely to keep Andrus when he becomes a FA. So that's why I think Profar should be valued as a super-prospect that could net a top-tier current MLB player. Granted, this will not be Cliff Lee, but I think it could happen down the road.

I...no. I never once said that.

eznark

Banned
Ahhh, my mistake! I took your "On what planet would they let that happen" to mean they'd keep them. Misunderstanding on my part. Well then, it's safe to say Andrus will be in pinstripes by 2014.

Yeah, Andrus will be traded. They'll obviously keep the guy they like more and control longer.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Rob Neyer - Memo To Chipper Jones: Please Don't Quit! said:
Jul 30, 2012 - According to Baseball-Reference.com, here are the 12 best seasons in the majors since 1901 by players in their last major-league season; I've added a brief note after each player to explain why it was his last season ...

1. Joe Jackson (7.3 Wins Above Replacement) - Banned
2. Happy Felsch (5.2) - Banned
3. Roberto Clemente (4.7) - Died
4. Jackie Robinson (4.3) - Traded / Retired
5. Roy Cullenbine (4.2) - Released
6. Chick Stahl (3.9) - Suicide
7. Will Clark (3.8) - Retired
8. Ray Chapman (3.7)- Killed
9. Barry Bonds (3.2) - Embarrassing
10. Hank Greenberg (3.2) - Retired
11. Buck Weaver (3.2) - Banned
12. Jim Doyle (3.2) - Died

Of those dozen players, only three simply quit: Jackie Robinson, Will Clark, and Hank Greenberg.

Robinson quit because he'd been traded from the Brooklyn Dodgers to the New York Giants, and simply didn't want to play for a new team. Well, there was that; also, Robinson had already decided to retire even before the trade, had accepted a significant amount of money to tell the story of his retirement in a magazine, and didn't want to give the money back.

Greenberg actually quit a year later than planned; he agreed to play one season with the Pirates only after they agreed to a whole set of demands, including no train travel, his own hotel suites, and a sterling $100,000 guaranteed income plus attendance bonuses. The Pirates were terrible that season, but Greenberg played pretty well despite a couple of nagging injuries. After the season, he got another offer to come back and play but declined, and instead went into management as an executive with, and minority owner of, the Cleveland Indians.

I don't have the slightest idea why Will Clark quit.

Roy Cullenbine was simply unappreciated, in his time. In 1947, Cullenbine batted just .224 and struck out 137 times in 142 games. He finished fourth in the American League with 24 home runs, and third in the league with a .401 on-base percentage. The Tigers released him. He went to spring training with the Phillies in 1948, but they released him too. And he didn't continue his career in the minors, which veterans players often did in those days. I've always figured there was more to this story, but I've not yet seen it.

Cullenbine's one of the nine players on that list who didn't really have a choice. He and Bonds were both unwanted, while three Black Sox were banned from Organized Baseball and four were dead: Stahl drank carbolic acid, Doyle died after suffering a burst appendix, Chapman died after getting beaned, and Clemente was killed in a plane crash, while on a relief mission to earthquake-stricken Nicaragua.

Chipper Jones is on pace to finish the season with 4.2 Wins Above Replacement, which would give him one of the five or six best last seasons in major-league history, and place him among the very best players to voluntarily leave the majors. He's played in only 62 of the Braves' 100 games this season, but still ranks among the better third basemen in the National League; rate-wise, he's been among the league's three best-hitting third basemen. He's got a 136 OPS+, just a few points lower than his career mark (141).

The problem is, it would be difficult for Chipper to come back for one more season, because he's told everyone he's not coming back, and so he's been gathering trophies and commemorative third bases and the like. Hey, maybe he did this on purpose. Maybe he thought he wanted to retire after the season, but was afraid that if he didn't go through the whole farewell tour and wound up having a good year, he wouldn't be able to resist coming back for another go-round in 2013.

I'm a baseball fan. And I will say, right now, that I won't hold it against Chipper if he wants to come back. I won't hold it against him if keeps all the swag, and I won't hold it against him if he comes back next season and doesn't play nearly as well as he's played this season. I just want him to keep playing for as long as he's still good, and he sure looks like he can be good for yet one more season, even after turning 41.
http://mlb.sbnation.com/2012/7/30/3200876/chipper-jones-retiring-best-last-seasons-braves

Link

The Autumn Wind
If I'm Cliff Lee, I'd be pissed. He took less money to go to Philly, and this is after they already traded him away once before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom