• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB - Official 2012 Season Thread: Bringing in Bobby V to Change Our Culture |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Talon

What's the average WHIP in the MLB and what is the WHIP that elite pitchers should be around?
Average last year was 1.32 - lowest in ten years. The twenty year peak is 1.47.

1.10 is around where elite pitchers will land. Maddux and Pedro had a few years where they dipped under 1.00. Their career averages were around 1.10.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
the yankees are DOOMED said:
With 337 runs scored, they have the fourth-most productive offense in baseball the American League, behind Texas, Boston, and Toronto.
DOOMED. Even with the Run Scored stat that statement is laughable.

Rangers lead wRC+ at 113, Yankees 2nd with 112. DOOMED.

lead the league in SIERA at 3.38. DOOMED.

have the payroll to make a mid season acquisition. DOOMED.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmZRDUO1wGQ

tc farks

ok. a lot of players get called up at that age. (he turns 22 in august).

Most players are older than 21 when called up. In fact, go ahead and post the entire list of 21 year old players in the MLB right now and examine the length of that list.

Any results at this age are practically worthless, still being so early on in their development.

jman2050

As much as this article sucks, it would be nice for the Yankees to return some balance to their lineup so we could get runs across without HRs. That 2009 team could mash you to death with HRs, but it could also kill you softly with walks and singles/doubles.

Maybe if/when we get Gardner and Nunez back, we can do that.

The point is that RISP numbers are bullshit and don't mean anything insofar as hitter skill goes. Hitting tons of home runs is a VERY GOOD THING and should not be considered a weakness in any way, shape, or form. That it's being framed as such is total nonsense.

DOOMED. Even with the Run Scored stat that statement is laughable.

Rangers lead wRC+ at 113, Yankees 2nd with 112. DOOMED.

lead the league in SIERA at 3.38. DOOMED.

have the payroll to make a mid season acquisition. DOOMED.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmZRDUO1wGQ

Yeah, all this pretty much.

Talon

The point is that RISP numbers are bullshit and don't mean anything insofar as hitter skill goes. Hitting tons of home runs is a VERY GOOD THING and should not be considered a weakness in any way, shape, or form. That it's being framed as such is total nonsense.

Yeah, all this pretty much.
bu...bu....bu...HOME RUNS KILL RALLIES!

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Most players are older than 21 when called up. In fact, go ahead and post the entire list of 21 year old players in the MLB right now and examine the length of that list.

Any results at this age are practically worthless, still being so early on in their development.
yeah i know it is still a early age, but its not "wow" worthy to me. Maybe its just that the braves have had Heyward, Freeman, Teheran, Delgado, McCann all called up at 21 or younger in the last few years. (and jurrjens with detroit) And then there is Minor, Hanson etc.. at age 22. 22 is probably the norm though with good prospects, but still 21 isn't that rare. Its certainly not worthy of announcement.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
http://www.chopnation.com/boards/showthread.php?t=1658
Send the Brewers Freddie Freeman, Mike Minor, Zeke Spruill and Todd Cunningham. Get Zack Greinke and a negotiation window. Sign him to a 5-year, $85M deal. Yes, a massive underpayment...but I will contend he represents himself and he may not be in it for the money. Being from Florida, Greinke may like the idea of heading south.

The Brewers get a 1B, pitcher they can keep, a nice arm for the future and an OF the will supplant Logan Schafer as their top OF prospect.

In the interim, the Braves can call upon Ernesto Mejia at Gwinnett and platoon him with Hinske if they want and then search the trade market for a 1B rental that can be had for minor league pitching depth like a Hale or Carlos Perez type package that will hopefully hold down the position for a Terdoslavich in a couple years who will work his way back to Triple-A the hard way.

Go git'er done, Frank. That is all.

oh lord

tc farks

yeah i know it is still a early age, but its not "wow" worthy to me. Maybe its just that the braves have had Heyward, Freeman, Teheran, Delgado, McCann all called up at 21 or younger in the last few years. (and jurrjens with detroit) And then there is Minor, Hanson etc.. at age 22. 22 is probably the norm though with good prospects, but still 21 isn't that rare. Its certainly not worthy of announcement.

It's worth pointing out that the results of a 21 year old player have almost zero predictive power in their careers. There are multiple All-Stars and Hall of Fame players who have embarrassingly bad numbers at 21. On a whim I looked up Greg Maddux. At age 21, in over 150 IP he had an ERA of 5.61. Oh, and that was his 2nd year in the league. I don't know what you mean by worthy of announcement? Because it is always worth noting that the results of a 21 year old player mean nothing. Lest someone already form the opinion that a player is garbage and think that statement is not void of stupidity.

And to put this in perspective, Rizzo isn't some monster prospect. But he has a very good chance of being a starter for a long time. Including a lot of cheap team-controlled years. His MLE this year is .286/.331/.548/.859. Only fools are expecting him to come in and carry the Cubs' offense.

Those #'s however, would be 8th in the majors in OPS among qualified 1b. And top 40 in all of baseball. Hopefully he doesn't start slow and have the masses turn against him.

AL All-Star Voting Update as of Monday:

AMERICAN LEAGUE ALL-STAR VOTING TOTALS

FIRST BASE
Prince Fielder, Tigers: 2,825,532
Paul Konerko, White Sox: 2,261,388
Mark Teixeira, Yankees: 1,863,873
Mitch Moreland, Rangers: 1,711,659
Albert Pujols, Angels: 1,429,154

SECOND BASE
Robinson Cano, Yankees: 3,559,290
Ian Kinsler, Rangers: 3,462,367
Dustin Pedroia, Red Sox: 1,666,282
Jason Kipnis, Indians: 852,325
Robert Andino, Orioles: 714,560

THIRD BASE
Adrian Beltre, Rangers: 3,073,541
Miguel Cabrera, Tigers: 2,692,047
Alex Rodriguez, Yankees: 1,748,534
Evan Longoria, Rays: 1,688,509
Mike Moustakas, Royals: 968,068

SHORTSTOP
Derek Jeter, Yankees: 4,407,982
Elvis Andrus, Rangers: 2,764,888
J.J. Hardy, Orioles: 1,331,927
Asdrubal Cabrera, Indians: 1,063,137
Alcides Escobar, Royals: 880,111

CATCHER
Mike Napoli, Rangers: 3,008,228
Joe Mauer, Twins: 1,772,228
Matt Wieters, Orioles: 1,623,459
A.J. Pierzynski, White Sox: 1,416,594
Russell Martin, Yankees: 1,156,820

DESIGNATED HITTER
David Ortiz, Red Sox: 3,128,711
Michael Young, Rangers: 2,564,572
Adam Dunn, White Sox: 1,436,643
Raul Ibañez, Yankees: 1,429,894
Billy Butler, Royals: 1,105,870

OUTFIELD
Josh Hamilton, Rangers: 7,310,824
Curtis Granderson, Yankees: 3,812,339
Jose Bautista, Blue Jays: 2,773,442

Nelson Cruz, Rangers: 2,681,019
Adam Jones, Orioles: 2,633,259
David Murphy, Rangers: 1,738,805
Nick Swisher, Yankees: 1,529,349
Austin Jackson, Tigers: 1,212,881
Jeff Francoeur, Royals: 1,183,817
Brett Gardner, Yankees: 1,031,382
Ichiro Suzuki, Mariners: 1,015,482
Alex Gordon, Royals: 901,595
Nick Markakis, Orioles: 888,183
B.J. Upton, Rays: 881,785
Jacoby Ellsbury, Red Sox: 775,261

Top fWAR players at each position:

1B - Paul Konerko
2B - Robinson Cano
3B - Mike Moustakas
SS - Elvis Andrus
C - Joe Mauer
OF - Mike Trout
OF - Josh Hamilton
OF - Adam Jones
DH - Edwin Encarnacion (Konerko and Mauer were ranked higher)

tc farks

MLB Public Relations ‏@MLB_PR
Free agent OF Marlon Byrd has received a 50-game suspension after testing positive for a performance-enhancing substance.

Byrd on his relationship with Victor Conte:
“I’m always going to watch what I take. I’m not going to say I have a bull’s-eye on my back, but I think a lot of people are waiting for me to get my first positive test and miss 50 games. They’d like that just so they can say, ‘We told you so.’ I know that won’t happen. I know I’m clean. I know the supplements I take are clean. I’m going to make sure of that.”
"To be honest with you, he could tell me how to beat the system. But then he would have to put himself in that situation again," Byrd said. "He wouldn't want to do that, and I wouldn't want to do that."
"[They said] 'Why in the world are you working with Victor Conte? It was a choice I made, to work with him," Byrd told "Real Sports." "It's me believing in him which a lot of people do not.

"I'm not afraid of Victor Conte."

Marlon Byrd suspended 50 games for failing a drug test. People have been waiting for him to get busted because he still employs Victor Conte as his personal trainer.

Byrd tested positive for Tamoxifen, an estrogen-blocker that steroid users use to help offset steroid side-effects.

sangreal

AL All-Star Voting Update as of Monday:

Top fWAR players at each position:

1B - Paul Konerko
2B - Robinson Cano
3B - Mike Moustakas
SS - Elvis Andrus
C - Joe Mauer
OF - Mike Trout
OF - Josh Hamilton
OF - Adam Jones
DH - Edwin Encarnacion (Konerko and Mauer were ranked higher)

well Trout isn't on the ballot

The list doesn't seem as bad as recent years

sangreal

Marlon Byrd suspended 50 games for failing a drug test. People have been waiting for him to get busted because he still employs Victor Conte as his personal trainer.

Byrd tested positive for Tamoxifen, an estrogen-blocker that steroid users use to help offset steroid side-effects.

maybe he has breast cancer

(its used during post-cycle-therapy to prevent getting moobs while your testosterone production is shut down. Also known as Nolvadex)

McNei1y

So Rizzo is finally up! I can now place him in my fantasy lineup after all of these weeks!

Oh yea, DeRosa is finally back too. X man Nady on to the DL :lol

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
*picks up Rizzo in fantasy league*

Some prick in the mlbGAF roto league I'm in stashed him like 3 weeks ago.

I'm stuck with Adrian Gonzalez riding the bench and Lucas Duda + Joe Mauer as my lethal 1B combo.

He sucks anyway so I ain't too mad.

gaming_noob

I know the Yankees have not been scoring as much in their own stadium this year (compared to previous years), and run support has been ass when Kuroda's on the mound, but do you think they can score 5 or more runs against the Indians tonight? I wanna place a bet.

RBH

The Padres are getting calls on third baseman Chase Headley, reports Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com. San Diego will listen to offers but it will require "a lot" to part with him.

The 28-year-old Headley has hit .269/.373/.415 with seven homers and eight steals this season. The switch-hitter quietly owns a career .300/.366/.444 batting line away from Petco Park and his defense at the hot corner is well-regarded. FanGraphs says he's been the 13th most valuable position player in baseball this season at 3.0 wins above replacement, or WAR.

Headley will earn $3.475MM this season, his second as an arbitration-eligible player. Since he's a Super Two, he still has two more years of team control remaining before becoming eligible for free agency after the 2014 season.
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/06/padres-getting-calls-on-chase-headley-will-listen.html

so Trout is not on the ballot but will the coach be able to name him as a reserve? That's stupid if it's the case. He deserves to start. I ended up having to vote for Reddick.

MIAMI • Cardinals starter Chris Carpenter explained that he woke up Sunday morning and felt a renewed sense of weakness in his right shoulder and that it persisted as he attempted to play catch later that day.

The lack of strength came two days after the righthander and the organization was buoyant about his pitches to hitters Friday in Kansas City.

He said it would not be wrong to see the similarity between these events -- throw well, but have trouble recovering -- and the ones in spring training that led to his prolonged absence. He has been unable to maintain the strength in the shoulder that he needs to pitch.

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/base...cle_56ed1788-bf01-11e1-8e50-0019bb30f31a.html

Yeah, he's probably not going to pitch at all this season. It's too bad there wasn't a solid free agent pitcher that wanted to pitch in a Cardinals uniform this season.

That's why we have offense. We just need to hit enough and pitching won't be a problem!
That's easy to say after bludgeoning Royals pitching for 30 runs in 3 days. Get back to me when the offense scores 34 runs over 12 games like it did before this past weekend.

It's a lot harder to win consistently with bad pitching compared to winning consistently with bad hitting. *looks at Pirates and Nationals*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom