• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB - Official 2012 Season Thread: Bringing in Bobby V to Change Our Culture |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

eznark

Banned
sch84%20Corey%20Hart%20(full)%20.JPG

harSon

Banned
Pirates win, Dodgers lose (obviously), Reds lose and the Cardinals lose. Not a bad day at the office.

If only the season could end today :(

Please stop sucking Pirates.

Oxx

I remember when people were working out how badly Chipper would have to suck in order to fall below 300/400/500 for his career.

dmag1223

I thought that maybe I was being to hard on the Red's bench for their production this year, so I decided to look into it a little more. The players currently on the Red's bench have a combined WAR of -1.5. If I count every player that has been on the bench for the Reds, that total goes up to -1.7. The two backup infielders we have on the roster right now (Wilson Valdez and Miguel Cairo) have a combined wRC+ of 27. Ugly numbers.

McNei1y

Dammit I need money. If we make the playoffs, which we probs will, I want to be there. This is what I've been waiting for but it had to come when I'm an unemployed recent graduate.

RBH

Major League Baseball will begin installing two experimental new replay systems this month at Yankee Stadium and Citi Field in New York to test their viability for reviewing fair/foul calls.

The systems won't be used to reverse or confirm calls at this time, according to MLB officials familiar with the sport's plans. But their installation will enable MLB to determine which system would best fit baseball's needs.

"Hawkeye," the camera-based technology used in tennis, will be tested at Citi Field, both during Mets games in September and on off days. A radar-based system, similar to the technology used to track shots in golf telecasts, will be tested at Yankee Stadium. That technology, officials said, has not previously been used to review calls in any sport.

Baseball also plans to test both systems during the Arizona Fall League and present the results at the next owners meetings in November.

There is no timetable for making a decision on when, or even whether, to begin using one of the two systems to review calls in major-league games, officials said. However, commissioner Bud Selig has said he hopes to expand replay to include fair/foul calls and possibly trap/catch calls as soon as next season.

The use of traditional replay to review calls beyond home runs remains an option, but MLB appears to be leaning toward using more precise technology, as long as that technology proves to be quick and accurate enough to work in baseball.
http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/8278062/major-league-baseball-test-two-experimental-replay-systems

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/08/red-sox-release-mark-prior.html

The Red Sox have released right-hander Mark Prior, according to Brendan McGair of the Pawtucket Times (via Twitter). The move was made in order to create space for the newly-acquired Pedro Beato.

Prior, 31, hooked on with the Red Sox in early May as he looked to attempt yet another comeback. During his time in Triple-A Pawtucket, Prior posted a 3.96 ERA with 13.7 K/9 and 8.3 BB/9 in a small sample size of 25 innings of work. The second-overall pick in 2001 was brilliant in the early portion of his career but has not pitched in the majors since 2006 thanks to a series of shoulder problems.

Aw damn. I hope this isn't the end of the road, I really wanted to see him in the bigs again.

Talon

I had a dream that James Shields threw a CG shut out against the Angels and assumed it was real life.

Now I see he starts tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom