• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB - Official 2012 Season Thread: Bringing in Bobby V to Change Our Culture |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

rekameohs

Banned
cgfJN.png

Watch out, Billy! Don't cut your fingers touching that!

Sanjuro

For what it's worth, I like it. It's got problems but it's still got enjoyable qualities.

I'm not saying it's devoid of enjoyable qualities, the show works at making it very difficult to enjoy any of them thoroughly.

Boardwalk Empire can't come soon enough.

Sharp

So apparently Chipper tweeted (and then deleted) the following:
We didn’t hit enuff fly balls to right. Sun was bad out there today, apparently. Headed to airport to go to Wash. Gotta swing bats better!!
:jakncoke

harSon

Banned
I had to leave in the 17th inning of the Pirates game to go watch the Expendables 2 (Missed the Steelers game too...), but I'm glad to see that the Pirates came through in the end.

Hopefully this is the beginning of a turnaround! And we need to get some revenge on the Padres for taking that series...

I thought the Cardinals were like supposed to be the best hitting team in the NL or something.
Feast or famine. Recently, it's been more famine than feast.

I'm mildly surprised our bullpen kept the game going for 19 whole innings though. I had to go out after the ninth inning and I expected to lose 3-2 in the 10th or 11th inning. Sounds like I missed some frustrating extra innings with men on base.

Also, wtf is up with Cardinal managers and switching out good hitters late in the ballgame when it's likely the game goes into extras. I'm sure having Allen Craig come up in extras would've been helpful. God damn it, Matheny.

The Cardinal's left handed relievers suck.
Easily the weakest part of the pen. For a while there, we carried THREE sucky LH relievers! Reports are that the Fuentes pickup was their plan to shore up the left side of the bullpen, which is idiotic considering how shittily he was pitching when we picked him up. Now he's gone for personal reasons or something.

sangreal

One of his homers was in the upper deck.

Of Ichiro's 3 Yankee homers, 2 were in the upper deck and the third was 10 rows back in right-center (Hittracker says they would be out in 23, 29 and 30 parks).

Bringing up the short porch in response to a comment about his average is beyond stupid. Most of his hits are infield grounders anyway

This series with the Nationals is going to be huge. Almost like playoffs. And the Braves have their best three pitchers going: Hudson, Medlen, and Maholm.

Braves looked pretty good the last time they came to DC . They would have won the series if not for Jurrjens getting his asshole blown out. Braves always kick Strasburg's ass too for some reason. And no Gio, which is good.

McNei1y

This series with the Nationals is going to be huge. Almost like playoffs. And the Braves have their best three pitchers going: Hudson, Medlen, and Maholm.

Braves looked pretty good the last time they came to DC . They would have won the series if not for Jurrjens getting his asshole blown out. Braves always kick Strasburg's ass too for some reason. And no Gio, which is good.

Braves are the only team we seem to do well against in the NL East... even better chances when Lannan starts :lol

Anyway, I'm going to the game Tuesday. It'll be my first Strasburg game ever... It's kind of pathetic actually. I've been to about 20-25 games since he came up and I have NEVER seen him pitch live.

Great series, though. Looking forward to it!

It really is sad that Ichiro, one of the best hitters of all time, spent 11½ seasons with the Mariners and they couldn't put anything close to a good team around him.

The fuck? His rookie season the M's put up the highest win total in the history of the game.

As for the other 10 years, I got nothin.

The fuck? His rookie season the M's put up the highest win total in the history of the game.

As for the other 10 years, I got nothin.

Yeah, but too bad they were dusted by the Yankees in the ALCS in 5 games.

I can't even imagine that '01 Mariners team if they still had Griffey, A-Rod, and Big Unit that season.

GAMES TO WATCH -- August 20, 2012

Braves @ Nationals -- 7:05PM
Tim Hudson (12-4, 3.59) vs. Jordan Zimmermann (9-7, 2.38)
-- Braves trail Nationals in NL East by 5.0 games
-- Braves lead NL Wild Card #1 over Pirates by 3.0 games
-- Nationals lead NL East over Braves by 5.0 games

Reds @ Phillies -- 7:05PM
Mike Leake (5-7, 4.29) vs. Roy Halladay (6-7, 3.80)
-- Reds lead NL Central over Pirates by 6.5 games

Royals @ Rays -- 7:10PM
Will Smith (4-4, 5.09) vs. Jeremy Hellickson (7-8, 3.39)
-- Rays trail Yankees in AL East by 5.0 games
-- Rays lead AL Wild Card #1 over Orioles by 1.0 game

Orioles @ Rangers -- 8:05PM (7:05PM local)
Miguel Gonzalez (5-2, 3.38) vs. Ryan Dempster (6-6, 3.12)
-- Orioles lead AL Wild Card #2 over Athletics by 0.5 game
-- Rangers lead AL West over Athletics by 5.0 games

Yankees @ White Sox -- 8:10PM (7:10PM local)
Freddy Garcia (7-5, 4.68) vs. Gavin Floyd (9-9, 4.43)
-- Yankees lead AL East over Rays by 5.0 games
-- White Sox lead AL Central over Tigers by 1.5 games

Marlins @ Diamondbacks -- 9:40PM (7:40PM local)
Mark Buehrle (10-11, 3.74) vs. Joe Saunders (6-9, 3.70)
-- Diamondbacks trail Dodgers in NL West by 4.5 games
-- Diamondbacks trail Pirates in NL Wild Card #2 by 5.0 games

Twins @ Athletics -- 10:05PM (7:05PM local)
Brian Duensing (2-8, 4.69) vs. Brandon McCarthy (6-4, 2.68)
-- Athletics trail Rangers in AL West by 5.0 games
-- Athletics trail Orioles in AL Wild Card #2 by 0.5 game

Pirates @ Padres -- 10:05PM (7:05PM local)
TBA vs. Edinson Volquez (7-9, 4.31)
-- Pirates lead NL Wild Card #2 over Giants by 1.0 game
-- Pirates trail Braves in NL Wild Card #1 by 3.0 games

Giants @ Dodgers -- 10:10PM (7:10PM local)
Madison Bumgarner (13-7, 2.97) vs. Clayton Kershaw (11-6, 2.90)
-- Giants trail Dodgers in NL West by 0.5 game
-- Giants trail Pirates in NL Wild Card #2 by 1.0 game
-- Dodgers lead NL West over Giants by 0.5 game

LOL WHO FUCKIN CARES
Rockies @ Mets -- 7:10 PM
Cubs @ Brewers -- 8:10 PM (7:10PM local)
Indians @ Mariners -- 10:10 PM (7:10PM local)

I can't even imagine that '01 Mariners team if they still had Griffey, A-Rod, and Big Unit that season.

Yeah, and the Yankees lost to the D-backs that year. The best team doesn't always win in the playoffs, and that's more true in baseball than any other sport.

With what we would have had to pay to keep those three, we wouldn't have been able to keep all those other pieces - Boone, Cammy, pre-turncoat Ichiro, etc., and definitely no 116 win season. Addition by subtraction, I guess.

Shit, you could take that exact same team and replay the season and they wouldn't get 116 wins.

rekameohs

Banned

1. Ichiro RF
2. Boone 2B
3. Griffey CF
4. Rodriguez SS
5. Martinez DH
6. Olerud 1B
7. Cameron LF
8. Bell 3B
9. Wilson C

Rotation: Johnson, Moyer, Sele, Garcia, Abbott

Money aside, that pretty much would've been cheating.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom