• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB - Official 2012 Season Thread: Where Curt Schilling & Marlins will never find us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Judderman

drawer by drawer
No

Mariano: "I am coming back. Write it down in big letters. ... I'm not going out like this"

Or his own tweet:
Thank you fans, friends and family for your prayers, well wishes and support. I will be ok. I will be back.

edit: although listening to the audio he actually said 'i aint goin like this' so my joke wasnt so far off

3d5b2b432bc1.gif

Nice to see Gee actually mixing his pitches, especially his curve.

EDIT:

clemenx, Dmncnby2k9 i need your honest opinion...

Do you see this chick on WWE Smackdown Rosa Mendes? Have you ever heard her speak Spanish?

Some of the worst broken Spanish I've ever heard in my life.

74S9p.gif

GzyD6.gif

Opiate

Frankman, I agree that it's silly to assume that Pujols' recent poor performance is indicative of a permanent, irreversible decline. I expect him to regress to his mean and perform very well.

However, even he does this, an OPS above .850 / WAR above 4.5 is very unlikely, because this single stretch has dragged him down so significantly. ZIPS has him estimated at an OPS of .836 / WAR of 4.0. Those would be great numbers given the start he's had. This would mean his WAR/OPS totals would look like this over the last five years:

WAR:

OPS:

So we will have seen a decline in his OPS/WAR for five straight years, and in the last four years, significant declines, such that he will be at approximately half his WAR of five years ago.

So in an isolated universe, a WAR of 4.5 for a player is quite good, and definitely worth the 12 Million Dollars the Angels are paying him this year.

But this all assumes that Pujols does recover, and that he recovers strongly -- and even then, it would almost certainly be one more year showing that Albert Pujols is well in to his decline phase now -- in year 1 of a 10 year contract. This is the problem.

McNei1y

I am going to go crazy. Werth has left 5 men on base. Strasburg gives up 2 homers for 3 runs. Our offense is such garbage!!

I am going to go crazy. Werth has left 5 men on base. Strasburg gives up 2 homers for 3 runs. Our offense is such garbage!!

You mean Edge?

Edge_1196386778_display_image.jpg

Seriously convinced a friend who doesn't like sports that Werth and Edge are the same person and he nly wrestles during the baseball offseason. He still believes this after 2 years time

McNei1y

You mean Edge?

Seriously convinced a friend who doesn't like sports that Werth and Edge are the same person and he nly wrestles during the baseball offseason. He still believes this after 2 years time

They're not?
jk.. maybe
They really do look like the same exact person.

I also think Randy Orton looks like Ryan Zimmerman.

E5BHJ.jpg

MbGNf.jpg

But this all assumes that Pujols does recover, and that he recovers strongly -- and even then, it would almost certainly be one more year showing that Albert Pujols is well in to his decline phase now -- in year 1 of a 10 year contract. This is the problem.
We know he's not taking enough walks and is swinging at too many pitches outside the K zone but the real issue is why his plate discipline has deteriorated. If he's simply pressing, it shouldn't be too difficult for he to re-adjust his approach. If he's injured, there may be hope he can return to a reasonable facsimile of his former self. If it's age-related decline, then lol Angels.

And that loud thud is the sound of Kyle Lohse coming back to earth. :[

JABEE

Terrible call! That was fair. Joe Weat calls out sick and they don't officiate the game, Victorino is SAFE too. Year of the UMPS

They stole a run from the Phillies twice.

Binx

I'm so glad Jack Wilson is starting so he can gobble up all the grounders Huddy is inducing.

EDIT: this umpire is a dick!

Puddles

Banned
Billingsley is headed right back to where Dodgers fans knew he'd end up.

His ERA should be comfortably over 4.00 by the All Star break.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom