• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB - Official 2012 Season Thread: Where Curt Schilling & Marlins will never find us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sangreal

0Yepu.jpg

That's neat I guess

Jayson Stark did a poll of team executives asking what the most immovable contracts of questionable players were.

1. Albert Pujols - LAA (10 years, $240 million left)
2. Prince Fielder - DET (9 years, $214 million left)
3. Carl Crawford - BOS (6 years, $127 million left)
4. Ryan Howard - PHI (5 years, $125 million left)
5. Alfonso Soriano - CHC (3 years, $54 million left)
6. Barry Zito - SF (2 years, $46 million left)
7. Jayson Werth - WSH (6 years, $112 million left)
8. Joe Mauer - MIN (7 years, $161 million left)
9. Alex Rodriguez - NYY (6 years, $143 million left)
10. Vernon Wells - LAA (3 years, $63 million left)
11. John Lackey - BOS (3 years, $45.75 million left)

ToxicAdam

Jayson Werth is #1 to me. At least with Pujols, Crawford and Fielder there is All-Star player upside.

Mauer and Howard are close behind Werth, imo.

--- /// ---

On Monday, the Indians are going to exercise a very little reported wrinkle in the latest CBA:

Teams are going to be allowed to expand to a 26-man roster for day-night doubleheaders -- assuming those doubleheaders are scheduled with at least 48 hours' notice. That's a recommendation of Bud Selig's special committee for on-field matters.

Which is cool, so now you don't have to shuffle guys around to make room for a AAA spot starter.

Jayson Stark did a poll of team executives asking what the most immovable contracts of questionable players were.

1. Albert Pujols - LAA (10 years, $240 million left)
2. Prince Fielder - DET (9 years, $214 million left)
3. Carl Crawford - BOS (6 years, $127 million left)
4. Ryan Howard - PHI (5 years, $125 million left)
5. Alfonso Soriano - CHC (3 years, $54 million left)
6. Barry Zito - SF (2 years, $46 million left)
7. Jayson Werth - WSH (6 years, $112 million left)
8. Joe Mauer - MIN (7 years, $161 million left)
9. Alex Rodriguez - NYY (6 years, $143 million left)
10. Vernon Wells - LAA (3 years, $63 million left)
11. John Lackey - BOS (3 years, $45.75 million left)
See this is what I hate. Why is Pujols up there? Does one bad month destroy his whole season?

EDIT: I understand why Fielder is up there (fears about weight), but he's producing. Crawford stilll has the tools to return to All-Star status.

Howard... ok, Soriano has proven he can't live up to the contract years ago. Zito, same thing. Werth was overpaid the minute he signed the deal and left CBP. Mauer got hurt but they HAD to sign him. A-Rod is getting paid to break the HR record. Wells... ok, Lackey... yikes.

My whole point is Pujols is adjusting to a new league, and realistically could still hit 30+ homers. He has no real injury bothering him and you assume his issue is discipline right now... for a mechanical swinger like him he needs to iron it out?

sangreal

There is a Soriano missing from that list. Also Vernon Wells garbage contract was already moved so it clearly is not immovable

See this is what I hate. Why is Pujols up there? Does one bad month destroy his whole season?

No, but he wasnt worth 10/240 anyway and he may Adam Dunn the whole season

ToxicAdam

My whole point is Pujols is adjusting to a new league, and realistically could still hit 30+ homers. He has no real injury bothering him and you assume his issue is discipline right now... for a mechanical swinger like him he needs to iron it out?

Performance aside, how many teams can realistically afford his contract? Especially when three of the big clubs (I'm including Detroit) are already committed to fantastic 1st basemen.

That pretty much insures that Pujols is always going to be on that list, no matter what his current performance is. It's an 'immovable contract' list.

sangreal

So his whole career is the fluke instead of one month?

No, I'm saying there is a chance he has a really shitty season and not just a really shitty month. I think he'll be fine in the long run either way, but I do not think he was worth 10/240 even at his normal level of play. He will almost certainly decline during the end of that contract, so losing time now during his good years really makes it look bad. The list is for contracts nobody wants, not players

No, I'm saying there is a chance he has a really shitty season and not just a really shitty month. I think he'll be fine in the long run either way, but I do not think he was worth 10/240 even at his normal level of play. He will almost certainly decline during the end of that contract, so losing time now during his good years really makes it look bad. The list is for contracts nobody wants, not players
I think 'immovable contract' in sports tends to imply you'd want to move it based on performance though. Yes he was overpaid massively, but there's no reason to think he's going to magically fall off the table right now. To say he'll go Adam Dunn is a big reach, especially if you look at his stretches last year.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I think 'immovable contract' in sports tends to imply you'd want to move it based on performance though. Yes he was overpaid massively, but there's no reason to think he's going to magically fall off the table right now. To say he'll go Adam Dunn is a big reach, especially if you look at his stretches last year.
Contracts have nothing to do with performance!

Pujols contract has to be number one. The number of years and salary per year makes it hard for any team to trade for him. Even if he were producing it would be hard to move if u ask me.

I think most teams are turned off by the fact that he's 46.

That's a good point. Dude is either a genetic freak or there was some fibbing going on with his age. Would be great for the Angels though if Albert is really past his prime and the Angels could dig something up about his true age. If that wouldn't void a contract, I dunno what would.

That's a good point. Dude is either a genetic freak or there was some fibbing going on with his age. Would be great for the Angels though if Albert is really past his prime and the Angels could dig something up about his true age. If that wouldn't void a contract, I dunno what would.

Most contracts are iron clad. If a team can't get out of a contract with a guy with a fake name, fake age won't do it.

Meier

I'm okay with the Abreu signing. Obviously not a long-term answer and our offense is still absurdly imbalanced but he adds another bat. Worst case scenario, we cut him too.

@Toxic Adam: Can you guys please play Kipnis at SS a few times? I desperately need another SS eligible player..Alexei Ramirez is killing me thus far.

sangreal

It's hard to argue against signing anyone for prorated league minimum. Especially when your cross-town rivals are paying him $8M to play for you.

Decided to look over the 2009 MLB thread/WBC thread
WTF? Yu Darvish looks like he was designed by Square-Enix
darvish.jpg

So true. :lol

I'm shocked that half Iranian half Japanese works. Figured the genes would clash and the child would self destruct in the zygote stage.
ALWAYS IN THE MOTHERFUCKING FIGHT...

WITH DAVID MOTHERFUCKING WRIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS!!
You're going to do that all fucking year aren't you.

What a GAME! BUM HO LEE!!!!
Bum Ho Lee clutching up!
BUM HO!
BUM HO!
BUM HO!
I just found these funny :D

Sanjuro

I would say Oil Can Boyd has more of an upside than John Lackey at this point. He would never divorce his cancer stricken wife, just take her medication.

sangreal

Did Mo really say that line about "no bitch"?

No

Mariano: "I am coming back. Write it down in big letters. ... I'm not going out like this"

Or his own tweet:
Thank you fans, friends and family for your prayers, well wishes and support. I will be ok. I will be back.

edit: although listening to the audio he actually said 'i aint goin like this' so my joke wasnt so far off

Brinbe

That's awesome news... no fan should want Mo's last memory to be the one from last night.

And Dodgers not done yet. Abreu to the rescue?

Edit: Guess not! hahaha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom