• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB - Official 2012 Season Thread: Where Curt Schilling & Marlins will never find us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

eznark

Banned
Pretend it's 2002.

Things were so much easier then. In 2002 I went to 120ish games. I never complained about them being dog shit once, because I knew they were dog shit. This is so much harder.

Braun and Rodgers just announced a new restaurant in Brookfield.

8*Twelve

Seriously, they are using an asterisk in the restaurant name. Fucking imbecile.

Look whose smiling again!

andinorevived.jpg

Sanjuro

Things were so much easier then. In 2002 I went to 120ish games. I never complained about them being dog shit once, because I knew they were dog shit. This is so much harder.

Braun and Rodgers just announced a new restaurant in Brookfield.

8*Twelve

Seriously, they are using an asterisk in the restaurant name. Fucking imbecile.

Best Burgers in Town!*

tc farks

The Cubs don't have a hopelessly shitty organization anymore.

Much to a LaHair detractor's chagrin, his K rate is going down, his BB rate is going up, LD% is up and he's still mashing the ball all over the place. Can he stick in the OF for a few years? The answer is starting to lean towards a surprisingly awesome yes.

Date wasnt set for surgery and nobody has said what these complications were. Hopefully Marchand's sources are right.
Andrew Marchand of ESPNNewYork.com was told by a "high-ranking team official" that the complications Mariano Rivera experienced during a doctor visit on Monday were not that serious.
Rivera had his right knee examined Monday by a trio of doctors in New York. His agent, Fernando Cuza, told the New York Post that his client ran into some complications during the visit, but he declined to go into any specifics. We should hopefully have more clarity on the situation soon.

eznark

Banned
Yes, surely Lahair's BABIP will stay at .535. He is also actually striking out more often than at any point in his career. 31% of the time as opposed to 26% of the time last year. In each major league opportunity, his k rate is increasing.

Seriously though, that babip. Holy shit.

tc farks

Yes, surely Lahair's BABIP will stay at .535. He is also actually striking out more often than at any point in his career. 31% of the time as opposed to 26% of the time last year. In each major league opportunity, his k rate is increasing.

Seriously though, that babip. Holy shit.

Fuck the babip, check out the HR/FB rate.

tc farks

The Cubs really should trade him asap.

No one would trade for him. You just gotta ride the wave. Normalizing LaHair's line still gives him very solid numbers. If his peripherals continue their upward trend they become very good numbers.

Bryan Fucking LaHair is already at 1.9 fWAR and a 1.6 bWAR for the year. Suck it MLB.

eznark

Banned
No one would trade for him. You just gotta ride the wave. Normalizing LaHair's line still gives him very solid numbers. If his peripherals continue their upward trend they become very good numbers.

Bryan Fucking LaHair is already at 1.9 fWAR and a 1.6 bWAR for the year. Suck it MLB.

He needs to get his walk rate up so he can become the new Russell Branyan.

tc farks

He needs to get his walk rate up so he can become the new Russell Branyan.

He is getting his walk rate up...I just said this. It's like talking to a wall.

Fun fact. Branyan's highest season WAR (2.7) came in his 12th season, and was far and away his most valuable season. Next highest was 1.7.

Bryan LaHair already has a WAR of 1.9.

tc farks

Yeah but you also said his strike rate was down, which is false. So I just assumed you were talking out of your ass.

It is going down. And very true. You compared it to last season. I compared it to earlier in the season. Who is the one really talking out of their ass?

eznark

Banned
You compared his K rate week over week? Ok. Considering he already has a fairly small sample size in 300 MLB at-bats I wouldn't expect you to dilute it further by comparing at bats a week at a time. It's nice to be surprised though I guess. His career K rate has increased in each Major League season, however. It jumped a lot this year, so I would guess it will probably normalize a bit back to the 25% range instead of the 31% he is at now.

I like LaHair, I love all 3to guys.

tc farks

I said his peripherals are improving. You have to wait and see where they end up. Yeesh.

What is your point exactly? You try and make a trollish comment about Russel Branyan and then complain when I call you out on it. The guy is putting up great numbers, and his peripherals are falling better in line with those numbers. Ergo, he's looking more and more legit as time goes on. Exactly what I said.

eznark

Banned
Trollish? Branyan is one of my all time favorite players, it was a giant compliment! I'm saying I like him but there is no way he can keep up the current pace, which I'm sure you agree with.

tc farks

Trollish? Branyan is one of my all time favorite players, it was a giant compliment! I'm saying I like him but there is no way he can keep up the current pace, which I'm sure you agree with.

Of course, his pace is unsustainable. I think Kemp only has a better HR/FB rate, and I'm not sure even that's the case anymore. But when the peripherals improve, the projection improves. When his #'s normalize, they don't have to tank. This is the area we are seeing LaHair enter.

I'm still very cautiously optimistic about LaHair. But he's proving he may be able to stick, and the #'s are beginning to suggest he can. Which is fun to think about, considering he was supposed to be AAAA for life. Also, it could mean production in LF again since Soriano is nothing more than a sunk cost at this point.

tc farks

Also, I don't know how many Cubs fans are on here. I'm guessing not many. But this situation feels very similar to Micah Hoffpauir a few years ago, an old non-prospect who subsequently crashed and burned after destroying major league pitching. So we're well aware.

According to George Brett on AM radio this morning, Zack Grienke still owns his apartment in KC and refuses to sell it even though George himself offered to take it off his hands. Grienke becomes a free agent again after this season. Might he come back to KC?

According to George Brett on AM radio this morning, Zack Grienke still owns his apartment in KC and refuses to sell it even though George himself offered to take it off his hands. Grienke becomes a free agent again after this season. Might he come back to KC?

Would KC make an offer on par with what the Brewers are offering?

crpav

SO, I am going to go an watch some 2005 White Sox goodness to relieve me of the terrible play I have to see from them now.... Or would I be better off seeing if I can start for them tonight seeing how the last few games I have no idea what is up with their starting rotation.

Sanjuro

So, going to jump the gun like everyone else. We have Kevin (Nomar) Youkilis in a potential trade situation.

2012: 12M
2013: 13M (Team option)

Obviously we are going to have to eat a majority of that contract. I just don't see him staying on this team in a backup capacity or at another position. He is clearly a DH/1B at this point in the game, with the ability to play some third.

Cleveland or LA being the two destinations if I had to guess. Leaning heavily towards the later.

Fenix

So, going to jump the gun like everyone else. We have Kevin (Nomar) Youkilis in a potential trade situation.

Obviously we are going to have to eat a majority of that contract. I just don't see him staying on this team in a backup capacity or at another position. He is clearly a DH/1B at this point in the game, with the ability to play some third.

Cleveland or LA being the two destinations if I had to guess. Leaning heavily towards the later.
Sup, I hear your bullpen sucks.

eznark

Banned
Brewers could be a nice fit as well. Thing about Youkilis, his upside can be absurdly helpful to almost any team. Looking around the league, his downside is still either better or on par with a majority of the first basemen out there.

He's only valuable this year as a "hey we still have a shot." Next year the Brewers will be true dogshit.

Sanjuro

He's only valuable this year as a "hey we still have a shot." Next year the Brewers will be true dogshit.

Brewers are the less likely scenario, but could be an obvious dump off if our hand is forced. For the Brewers, he is the equivalent of gifted a gift card to Applebees.

Dodgers we would probably have some benchwarmers coming back.

ToxicAdam

That's a pretty friendly contract, actually. I wouldn't mind if the Indians took a crack. It sure beats Casey Kotchman or Matt LaPorta.

No, you can't have Masterson back.

Sanjuro

That's a pretty friendly contract, actually. I wouldn't mind if the Indians took a crack. It sure beats Casey Kotchman or Matt LaPorta.

No, you can't have Masterson back.

It could be worse. Just don't see many (any) teams taking it on until completely desperate. I'm probably undervaluing him quite a bit as well.

Oh, yeah. Give me Masterson, or at least Ubald...nah.

ToxicAdam

I wonder if your FO would have the balls to trade away a fan favorite for some AA-A guys in return. Especially a FO that is in their first year and have already made some controversial decisions.

Seems more likely they would just let Youk play the year out and then deny his option in the off-season if Will the Thrill pans out.

Brewers are the less likely scenario, but could be an obvious dump off if our hand is forced. For the Brewers, he is the equivalent of gifted a gift card to Applebees.

Dodgers we would probably have some benchwarmers coming back.

We'll throw in Guerra for Youk...lol

A red Sox playing for a Yankee? rofl

Could use somebody behind Ethier in the l/u. Having Rivera or Loney after Ethier in the lineup sucks

cashman

Banned

I'd like to see the Rangers jump all over this. They could surely offer up a better prospect package than either cleveland or la.

verbum

Well, the Braves are slowly losing their older starters. Jurrjens is pitching well in the minors but he doesn't have his fastball back to a major league level yet.
"It wasn't like he was going down on a rehab assignment or something," Braves manager Fredi Gonzalez said. "He's, without making it sound cruel, he's a Minor League player right now. He's doing his part. Hopefully, that continues."

Tommy Hansen is losing his fastball,
"with [Tommy Hanson's] fastball still consistently sitting around 89-90 mph and only maxing out at 92 mph in the first two innings, the 25-year-old hurler still lacks the dominant form after he arrived on the Major League scene as the game's top pitching prospect midway through the 2009 season."

Let's hope Hudson cranks it back up and maybe Terehan can come up in June or July.
After a rough first start of the year, he's calmed down and now has a 2.81 ERA and a 1.29 WHIP in 25.2 innings.

Finally, Jose Constanza is making his bid to come back, in 8 games he's gone 14-41 with 2 doubles, 5 walks, and 3 steals. His average is .341. All The Way With Jose!

Sanjuro

I wonder if your FO would have the balls to trade away a fan favorite for some AA-A guys in return. Especially a FO that is in their first year and have already made some controversial decisions.

Seems more likely they would just let Youk play the year out and then deny his option in the off-season if Will the Thrill pans out.

That is what I would like to happen. Youkilis's attitude, this environment, don't see it happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom