• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB - Official 2012 Season Thread: Where Curt Schilling & Marlins will never find us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sanjuro

Will Middlebrooks.

3N6ZN.gif

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
Game was lost when we couldn't score those runners in the top of the 8th, but man, fuck Durbin, fuck Fredi for using him, and fuck Wren for keeping both of those guys around.

Opiate

Carlos Beltran and Rafael Furcal are making 19.5M combined average per year over the next two years with the Cardinals.

While that is higher than what Pujols is technically making this year (12M), it's still far lower than what the AAV of the contract is (24-25M, depending on whether you include his post-career bonuses). The point is: I think it's reasonable to think of Beltran+Furcal as the players the Cardinals got when Pujols did not sign with them.

So far this year, the value is as follows:

Furcal: 1.6 WAR
Beltran: 1.5 WAR
Combined: 3.1 WAR

Pujols: -.7 WAR

Difference: +3.8 WAR for the Cardinals

Thus far, the Cardinals have done much better with Pujols' replacements than they would have done with Pujols. Also importantly: The aged Beltran/Furcal will be off the Cardinals' books at the end of 2013. Pujols would have remained on the docket until 2022.

Mrbob

I can't believe how well Samardzija has done as a starter. Suck it, Eznark!

Now the Cubs and Brewers are tied at 12-17, so good. Cubs finishing with a better record than the Brewers this season makes it all worthwhile.

Thus far, the Cardinals have done much better with Pujols' replacements than they would have done with Pujols. Also importantly: The aged Beltran/Furcal will be off the Cardinals' books at the end of 2013. Pujols would have remained on the docket until 2022.

Contract length is the biggie but you also have to consider the fact that we have an easier time plugging in a quality player at 1B compared to SS. Tyler Greene would probably be the everyday starter at SS if Pujols signed and when Craig was out rehabbing his knee, the starting RF would've been Komatsu Schumaker/Robinson. Yuck.

Carlos Beltran and Rafael Furcal are making 19.5M combined average per year over the next two years with the Cardinals.

While that is higher than what Pujols is technically making this year (12M), it's still far lower than what the AAV of the contract is (24-25M, depending on whether you include his post-career bonuses). The point is: I think it's reasonable to think of Beltran+Furcal as the players the Cardinals got when Pujols did not sign with them.

So far this year, the value is as follows:

Furcal: 1.6 WAR
Beltran: 1.5 WAR
Combined: 3.1 WAR

Pujols: -.7 WAR

Difference: +3.8 WAR for the Cardinals

I appreciate this analysis. Thanks!

I'm really so angry abut the Tigers bullpen I can't sleep. How do you blow a 4 hit performance from Fister in 7 and a 1-2-3 inning from Phil? I hate you Octavio

Carlbeego

I'm really so angry abut the Tigers bullpen I can't sleep. How do you blow a 4 hit performance from Fister in 7 and a 1-2-3 inning from Phil? I hate you Octavio

I hate when my team has games like this.

I remember when Mo blew a game to Ichiro back in 2009 after AJ pitched a gem. Mo was walking around the clubhouse eating an ice cream cone and I was steaming.

zulux21

it makes the double header sweep of the white sox a little more bearable for me, but now the Indians look so far away @_@

Damn them and their spunk.

To be fair I really don't want to see the Tigers lose right now either. I would love to see at least one of the wild cards come out of the central as no one expected any from it. in order to do that though the tigers and white sox need to start winning more games as even with 2 wild cards it's doubtful that a .500 team will make the playoffs as a wild card.

What a waste of a great start by Fister.

Tigers bullpen..

The M's offense continues to be awesome at screwing Fister out of wins. Didn't we tell you guys this when we traded him? Fister never ever gets the win at Safeco. He's cursed or something. Soooooooooo we'll take him off your hands if you don't mind, the beloved son returning home

Kingbrave

How good is the At Bat app? I get tired of missing games due to me being sick and in the hospital or at the ladies house....I have Gameday Audio, is it at least equal to it?

eznark

Banned
I can't believe how well Samardzija has done as a starter. Suck it, Eznark!

Now the Cubs and Brewers are tied at 12-17, so good. Cubs finishing with a better record than the Brewers this season makes it all worthwhile.

It's times like these I wish the Brewers were a hopelessly shitty organization like the Cubs so that I could be happy with 12-17.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom