• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB - Official 2012 Season Thread: Where Curt Schilling & Marlins will never find us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tc farks

That's primarily what I remember about him. Statistically his best value was for that Yankees team a few years back.

Not even close. His early seasons as a Cub were seismically more valuable. Namely 1998 and 2003.

In 98', Wood had a K/9 of almost 13 and a 20k game. The guy was as filthy as anyone could be. Injuries are a bitch, and yet he still managed a long successful career.

Sanjuro

Not even close. His early seasons as a Cub were seismically more valuable. Namely 1998 and 2003.

In 98', Wood had a K/9 of almost 13 and a 20k game. The guy was as filthy as anyone could be. Injuries are a bitch, and yet he still managed a long successful career.

Yeah, back when he was a starter. That version of Wood has been long dead.

Score is saying Kerry wants to pitch today and retire tomorrow...

I remember when the Cubs had Wood and Prior at the top of their rotation. FU Dusty. The most imbecilic manager who ever existed. Who laughed in the face of pitcher abuse and helped destroy one of the best 1-5 rotations I've ever seen. Oh did that line drive hurt your elbow Mark? Better keep pitching.

*sigh*

That Cubs rotation was awesome. I miss those fireballers in Chicago...and I miss the young gun As too with Zito/Mulder/Hudson destroying people every game. Remember when it seemed like every team was bustling with young pitching talent?

I think in baseball, the most tragic thing to see is watching that great pitching talent go awry. Boom or bust hitting is whatever...but for me, watching something like the undoing of pitching Rick Ankiel, or watching the downfall of Dontrelle Willis, is more disappointing.

tc farks

Yeah, back when he was a starter. That version of Wood has been long dead.

I didn't know your reference window. 2008 was his last dominant season...66 IP of 11.4 K/9, 2.44 BB/9 and 0.4 HR/9. And secured him a fat contract with the Indians because they were dumb enough to pay it. His stint with the Yanks was very impressive, its only drawback was the duration. That was the 1 year I wouldn't have minded seeing the Yankees win another WS. Still feels weird for me to say that.

Wood was very strong last season as well, K/9 north of 10, 3.59 FIP. It's a shame he didn't have a few more years of that left in him. He's a Cub lifer though, so seeing him in the front office in some capacity will be enjoyable. And I have no doubt he enjoys helping his wife with her Chicago-based charity work.

tc farks

*sigh*

That Cubs rotation was awesome. I miss those fireballers in Chicago...and I miss the young gun As too with Zito/Mulder/Hudson destroying people every game. Remember when it seemed like every team was bustling with young pitching talent?

I think in baseball, the most tragic thing to see is watching that great pitching talent go awry. Boom or bust hitting is whatever...but for me, watching something like the undoing of pitching Rick Ankiel, or watching the downfall of Dontrelle Willis, is more disappointing.

In 2004, the Cubs 1-5 was Kerry Wood, Mark Prior, Carlos Zambrano, Matt Clement and Greg Maddux. The lowest ERA+ in that group was 110. And that was after Dusty abused the hell out of them and was doing it again. E.g. Prior only threw 118 innings that year, Wood 140. It was a disappointing season that would have never went down that way if Dusty hadn't been around to fuck it up.

Pitching is so volatile and has so many cases of what could have been. But it's worse when you see it caused by a manager. I still can't help but cringe at what Dusty put Prior through in 2003-2004.

Sanjuro

I didn't know your reference window. 2008 was his last dominant season...66 IP of 11.4 K/9, 2.44 BB/9 and 0.4 HR/9. And secured him a fat contract with the Indians because they were dumb enough to pay it. His stint with the Yanks was very impressive, its only drawback was the duration. That was the 1 year I wouldn't have minded seeing the Yankees win another WS. Still feels weird for me to say that.

Wood was very strong last season as well, K/9 north of 10, 3.59 FIP. It's a shame he didn't have a few more years of that left in him. He's a Cub lifer though, so seeing him in the front office in some capacity will be enjoyable. And I have no doubt he enjoys helping his wife with her Chicago-based charity work.

The most impressive part is the markets he has played prior, then to go into NY and deliver those type of performances when it mattered the most. Not saying he had a bad end to his career. He was just your usually better than average bullpen guy.

ToxicAdam

And secured him a fat contract with the Indians because they were dumb enough to pay it.

You can't fault the Indians for that. They are located in Cleveland, so they have to overpay any free agent to come there and they were just coming off the Joe Borowski years. So, Kerry Wood looked like the messiah in comparison to what they were used to.

tc farks

You can't fault the Indians for that. They are located in Cleveland, so they have to overpay any free agent to come there and they were just coming off the Joe Borowski years. So, Kerry Wood looked like the messiah in comparison to what they were used to.

You're completely right.

Wait, so is Wood pitching today or does he just "want to"?

And let's do this shit.

dis-gon-b-gud.gif

Agreed, though I'm not sure how attached we should get to Board. Dat Boras pay bump next year may be more than the Braves will spend. He is a huge, huge asset to the club and is worth quite a bit though. Chipper retiring will free up some salary. I wonder if Kawakami is still on the books at all, or Lowe. I think Lowe is.

Also, how the heck is Derek Lowe doing so well so far this year?

Kawakami's contract ended last season.

The Braves are paying Lowe $10 million this season.

After this season, the Braves will have $23 million freed up after the Lowe and Chipper contracts are completed. It becomes $32 million if they don't invoke Hudson's $9 million option for '13, but I'm pretty sure they will.

Wow, an umpire gets punished! And it's Balkin Bob!

Phillies manager Charlie Manuel and umpire Bob Davidson, embroiled in a heated nose-to-nose exchange during Tuesday's game between Philadelphia and Houston, each received a one-game suspension from Major League Baseball on Friday.

Both will serve their suspensions immediately. The Phillies are to play the Red Sox and Davidson will miss the Twins-Brewers game in Milwaukee. A Minor League call-up umpire will fill his spot.

Davidson was suspended for repeated violations of the Office of the Commissioner's standards for situation handling, MLB said in announcing the penalty.

In the eighth inning of Tuesday's game, Philadelphia starter Cliff Lee threw a curveball that struck out Astros catcher Jason Castro, but the ball bounced past catcher Brian Schneider and went to the backstop. Castro reached first base safely on the uncaught third strike.

Manuel argued with Davidson, the home-plate umpire, and was ejected. The Phils' skipper then walked out of the dugout and onto the field to hold a brief screaming match with Davidson.

The argument appeared to stem from Manuel being upset about Davidson inadvertently interfering with Schneider's path to the ball, though the manager wouldn't discuss it following the game.

Davidson, 59, has 22 years of Major League service time and first began working National League games in 1982. He worked the 2009 NL Division Series between the Rockies and Phillies.

RBH

This weekend we've got a few "rivalries" to watch:

-Cubs vs. White Sox
-Giants vs. A's
-Orioles vs. Nationals
-Rangers vs. Astros
-Twins vs. Brewers

fun homerun... hopefully he is ok now... he took that pitch right to the face. It looks like it ended up just above his left eye. It would suck a ton if he was hurt as losing a hitter like he has been this season is a huge blow for any team @_@

I hope they get him back. I have no sympathy for it being a breaking ball. If the guy just hit a home run off of you, be more careful. It's going to be taken as intentional.

Hope they make him answer for it next inning.

zulux21

darn I am torn. I want the white sox to score more, but I wouldn't mind Wood having a good final outing (if this is indeed his final one)

zulux21

I just wish I was watching it. Usually I get out of work early but I got stuck today.

it's a shame you aren't... he managed to get a strike out and is now leaving the game. hand shakes and hugs from his team, it looks like his son came up from the bench to greet him and hug his daddy before wood carried him away. more hugs in the dugout, and coming out for one last goodbye to the fans. I'm sure there will be a video for it later, but still, I am not remotely a cubs fan and it's rather touching.

tc farks

it's a shame you aren't... he managed to get a strike out and is now leaving the game. hand shakes and hugs from his team, it looks like his son came up from the bench to greet him and hug his daddy before wood carried him away. more hugs in the dugout, and coming out for one last goodbye to the fans. I'm sure there will be a video for it later, but still, I am not remotely a cubs fan and it's rather touching.

Wow. Fantastic way to go out. Thanks for describing this.

tc farks

Fun fact in honor of Wood's retirement:

Career K/9

1. Randy Johnson 10.6098
2. Kerry Wood 10.3134
3. Pedro Martinez 10.0398
4. Tim Lincecum 9.8678
5. Nolan Ryan 9.5481

zulux21

and reed makes sure that rios can't screw it up again.

Hopefully reed can continue to pitch well as the closer... it's nice to finally see him there as he was the guy I felt should be the closer coming out of spring training.

zulux21

Daniel Hudson

Gah, just seeing that name makes me so sad @_@

I still don't get that trade at all. Lets trade a young good looking pitcher that we have for dirt cheap for a few years for a pitcher who is decent but shows sparks of greatness, who overall isn't really doing any better than our young talented pitcher... who is over payed and who we would only have control of for a short time @_@

edit: for those who weren't able to see the kerry wood goodbye mlb has a video up now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom