• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB - Official 2012 Season Thread: Where Curt Schilling & Marlins will never find us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

G-Fex

I've Played Base Wars. And I picked up RBI baseball.

Hmm...I saw Bases Loaded over there at the shop, I'll need to pick it up next time.

You're like an entirely new person!

and yeah, the Nats play at 7:10est vs the Marlins tomorrow. It's Chien-Ming Wang's first start this season.

Ooh, sounds good buddy.

I'll catch it tomorrow, for sure.

McNei1y

I
Ooh, sounds good buddy.

I'll catch it tomorrow, for sure.

Nice! They're an exciting team. It's hard to sell em but they're a young squad and are only getting better. This is the first year they've actually been in first place like this since moving to D.C. in 2005. If you were to start following a team, the Nationals would be a good option since they have young talent that will be here for a good amount of time.

G-Fex

Nice! They're an exciting team. It's hard to sell em but they're a young squad and are only getting better. This is the first year they've actually been in first place like this since moving to D.C. in 2005. If you were to start following a team, the Nationals would be a good option since they have young talent that will be here for a good amount of time.

That does sound good, a young team.

Guess I'll be rooting for them tomorrow. *high five*

LOL Dodgers so botched it out there today, couldn't even bunt right!

316xnxhjpg.gif

that's it I'm outta here.

G-Fex

You know Frankman this is like a blessing or like Fate.

Now we can get closer and really bond. We can become like great friends. Sports fan friends.

You know Frankman this is like a blessing or like Fate.

Now we can get closer and really bond. We can become like great friends. Sports fan friends.

I approve if only because I enjoy frankman melting down. and since the Mets look like they have their shit together this year....

G-Fex

shit, it's a shame it's so late, UFC and a replay of the Yankees/Angels game is coming out.

Where was this earlier when I was bored? Smh.

ZeroRay

Hey, uh...G-KOG, please join Mets-Age.

They're young like the Nationals, their games produce some good drama, and their fanbase deserves someone the likes of you.

verbum

I'm nominating Jose Constanza for NL MVP right now. If not for his run the Braves would have been tied in the 9th and who knows what the Atlanta bullpen would have done. Recent history suggests them giving the Cardinals the lead.

Big jobs usually go to the men who prove their ability to outgrow small ones.
Theodore Roosevelt

The Braves fans are speaking out:
I was going to post something about this too. No Constanza = 8 losses in a row. With Constanza = win. JOSE CONSTANZA IS THE KEY TO WINNING THE WORLD SERIES.
Rep

He should wear a cape in the next game he plays.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Whats going on in here? Enough Wrasslegaf weirdos as it is in here if you ask me.

And yes Jose Constanza will be the savior of the Braves. They should have never sent him to AAA in the first place. But his initials aren't the same as John Cena for no reason, he will overcome the odds and rise above the hate of baseball stat nerds living in their mothers basements and carry the Braves to another heartbreaking September collapse.

Looks like instant replay will be expanded. Players and manager have finally snapped at all the blown calls by the umps. Leyland wants the media to hold umps accountable for bad calls and James Loney believes robot umps will be making the calls in 50 yrs. Also said umps would have better view of strikezone from CF. We need the expansion.
Business Insider said:
REPORT: Widespread Instant Replay Is Finally Coming To Major League Baseball
By:Cork Gaines

During a spot on the "Mike and Mike in the Morning" radio show, Jayson Stark of ESPN.com discussed how Major League Baseball plans to expand instant replay.

And the level of expansion just might surprise you.

Stark revealed that expanded instant replay is coming when he was asked about the horrible call that may have cost the Detroit Tigers a chance to beat the Boston Red Sox yesterday.
Here are the details of what MLB is planning according to Stark (via ESPN Radio):

A group of umpires will watch games from a central location

On plays that are "clearly wrong" the group would then signal the umpires at the game and let them know there is an obvious call that needs to be changed

MLB hopes to implement an introductory version of the system in 2013

The initial system would only review home runs, whether a ball is fair or foul, and whether or not a player caught a ball

The system would then be expanded "after a year or so" once the system is optimized

At that point, the system would be expanded "to all sorts of calls." However, Stark says exactly what would be included would have to be negotiated

There are two important points here. First is the use of umpires at the central location. This is clearly a move to placate the umpires' union, who would likely be against expanding replay. By using umpires, MLB will be increasing the number of umpiring jobs, something the union would have a hard time turning down.

Also, the use of a central location will keep the game from being slowed down too much. One person watching a monitor in New York will work much faster than four umpires going into the clubhouse to review a play on a monitor.

But the most important point is when Stark concluded by saying this system "is being discussed, and is going to happen."

It's about time.

http://deadspin.com/5914094/dear-te...urself-half+naked-in-a-towel-to-my-girlfriend

Man that boyfriend is a total asshole. Going through your girlfriends phone and email account then sharing it with Deadspin. Really? So happy Francona probably nailed his chick at some point. Or at least got titty pictures.

Yeah, that was a backfire.

Guys, I saw the cnnsi power rankings, and I notice they use something called WAR wins... I was hoping one of you could explain what a WAR win is. (WAR is related to the stat 'Wins Above Replacement.')

Guys, I saw the cnnsi power rankings, and I notice they use something called WAR wins... I was hoping one of you could explain what a WAR win is. (WAR is related to the stat 'Wins Above Replacement.')
You're using it wrong. A WAR win according to them is when you beat the opposing team so bad it's like you went to war against them.

You're using it wrong. A WAR win according to them is when you beat the opposing team so bad it's like you went to war against them.

Got it.

BTW, the shit going down with Chapman is no coincidence. By many accounts, he has some serious enemies from Cuba. If what they say is true, he may have Count of Monte Cristo'd a guy to get rich. If you read the book, you'd know what I'm talking about. He may have sold an innocent man and friend out to authorities to earn the trust of the administration to get back on the national team in Cuba. That guy went to a political prison, and Chapman abandons his family and makes 50 million dollars.

tc farks

I did not know FanGraphs were doing SI power rankings. WAR wins is just their adaptation of Bill James' pythagorean formula.

b0da4b28fff6eb1edcdc59da5cff7934.png

James' formula accounts for how many runs a team scores and allows, giving you an expected amount of wins a team should win.

What FanGraphs is doing is replacing runs scored/given up with cumulative WAR, and outputting expected wins.

I did not know FanGraphs were doing SI power rankings. WAR wins is just their adaptation of Bill James' pythagorean formula.

b0da4b28fff6eb1edcdc59da5cff7934.png

James' formula accounts for how many runs a team scores and allows, giving you an expected amount of wins a team should win.

What FanGraphs is doing is replacing runs scored/given up with cumulative WAR, and outputting expected wins.

Beat the other team so bad, it was like a war. got it.

joking aside, it basically puts a lot of weight into run differential...

Three hit batters in the last two games on the Royals by the Indians. The game before that, Chris Perez pulled his cute John Cena taunt routine. This is a few weeks after the team's social media spokesman proclaiming that our tap water "tastes like ass".

Operation drill em in the neck is about to begin, I think.

McNei1y

They're young like the Nationals, their games produce some good drama, and their fanbase deserves someone the likes of you.

The Mets are good and entertaining but they don't have the second coming of Jesus, A guy named Strasburg, a guy that looks like Edge, and a guy that looks like Randy Orton!

I hope Hochevar can put it together though and I love a good blood feud. Same thing going on in the Rays game today.

Yeah, as young as both teams are a grudge could last a loooong time. And as for Hochevar, ah, I'm done waiting for him to "turn the corner". I hate to say that, but I'm afraid it's never going to happen.

G-Fex

The Mets are good and entertaining but they don't have the second coming of Jesus, A guy named Strasburg, a guy that looks like Edge, and a guy that looks like Randy Orton!

We'll see.

The King of Games will have to catch a Mets game first.

tc farks

If WAR is so great how come it's not on the scoreboard?

Bra. Seriously, bra. [expletive] these nerds. For serious. True story, bra -- I'm at the game yesterday. I'm wasted. Seriously, bra, I've had like eleven brews. I'm there with my boy Donnie -- awesome guy. Solid guy. The papers call him the "Laundry Room Rapist." So Donnie's like, "Bra, you want another one?" And I'm like, "[expletive], dude! I ain't driving!" And Donnie's all, "Bra, you are driving, remember?" And I was like, "Ohhhh [expletive]!" And we high-five, right?

So basically everything was awesome. We were crushing it, bra. And then, this little [expletive] nerd in front of us is like, "Can you be careful? You're spilling beer on my daughter's head," and I'm like, "Whatever dude -- it's a ballgame. Shut up and enjoy the ride!" and he's like, "Just try to be more considerate," and then his little nerd son is like, "Daddy, look, Manny's up!" and his nerd dad is like, "Let's go Manny!" and his nerd son is like, "His batting average is down to .288" and that's when I just lost it, bra. Those [expletive] nerds and their numbers. So I pull my rod out -- you know, because I have to piss, right? -- and the guy is all, "Hey! You can't do that here!" and I'm like, "Sorry, nerdbra, the only statistic I care about is how many brewskis I've had and how much piss I've pissed" and the next thing you know security is dragging me out and they're all like, "You're banned for life" and I'm like, "Bra, what the hell?" and they're like "You pulled your penis out and urinated at your seat and there's vomit on your forearm, and also you can't smoke in the stadium, and your friend is wearing a shirt and shoes but no pants," and I'm like "He's Donald Ducking it, bra -- it's classic!" and they're like, "Get out of here and never come back."

And that's when I realized: nerds have ruined baseball.

McNei1y

Everyone's dying in this Rays - White Sox game.

KOG, the decision is up to you. Just know that you'll be joining Frankman's ranks... So you should probably join them.

G-Fex

Everyone's dying in this Rays - White Sox game.

KOG, the decision is up to you. Just know that you'll be joining Frankman's ranks... So you should probably join them.

We'll see. I like judging on performance.

Like....the dodgers..and their efforts last ni...PFFFTAHAHAHAHHA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom