• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB - Official 2012 Season Thread: Where Curt Schilling & Marlins will never find us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Branduil

LOL

i2LUsNbMgtfmy.gif

It's from last month, but it was too funny not to share.

I can make an excuse for everything in the first half, but when he tries to apply the tag so quick he doesn't even catch the ball, even though the runner is already mounting the base with his torso, it's just too much. Then they have a footrace to the ball haha.

Blearth

Banned
Who should be more embarrassed, the Dodgers who fumbled that play in hilarious fashion? Or the Giants who lost that game to the fumbling Dodgers 9-1?

eznark

Banned
I was laughing pretty hard at the Carinals analysis.

pick 1: "This guy is a winner!"
pick 2: "This guy is an engineer!"

lol.....

They'll be superstars while Coulter will flame out and murder children :(

tc farks

So, has anyone heard why the Pirates are already giving up on Stetson Allie?

I assume it was a combination of being the wildest pitcher ever plus actually being able to hit.

Stetson Allie, the 2nd rounder from last year's Pirates spending binge, is being converted to a hitter. In his short pitching career he had 37 walks in 26.2 IP, including 8 walks in 2 outings this year, totaling 0.2 IP.

Not to mention he had 10 HBP and 10 WP. That is truly a small sample, but christ. I can't even think of a comp. Rick Vaughn throwing it against the backstop in Major League?

tc farks

Found a comp, actually one that went above and beyond exceeding Allie's ability to forget where the plate is: Jason Neighborgall

3 seasons: 42.1 IP, 40 H, 93 R, 81 ER, 2 HR, 128 BB, 48 K, 13 HBP, 59 WP, 17.22 ERA, 3.97 WHIP

eznark

Banned
I assume it was a combination of being the wildest pitcher ever plus actually being able to hit.

Not to mention he had 10 HBP and 10 WP. That is truly a small sample, but christ. I can't even think of a comp. Rick Vaughn throwing it against the backstop in Major League?

He has thrown 22 innings (27, whatever). They gave him a $2m signing bonus. It seems shockingly early to give up on him. A real indictment of the scouting department.

tc farks

Well unfortunately for the Pirates he didn't have this much trouble throwing it over the plate until he showed up at A ball with 2.5 mil in his bank account. His scouting report said he would struggle with command, hard to predict he'd become completely useless at it.

eznark

Banned
Well unfortunately for the Pirates he didn't have this much trouble throwing it over the plate until he showed up at A ball with 2.5 mil in his bank account. His scouting report said he would struggle with command, hard to predict he'd become completely useless at it.

I for one would immediately call him up. 108 bb/9? HE WILL FILL THE STANDS! Come watch the freak!

tc farks

I for one would immediately call him up. 108 bb/9? HE WILL FILL THE STANDS! Come watch the freak!

Haha. Certainly quite disappointing to the Pirates fans who may have believed they basically drafted 2 Tailion's last year. But it's the Pirates, they're used to this shit.

Now for a blurb that no one will really care about:

11:41
Comment From Kyle
Cubs draft so far? Lots to like?

11:42

Kiley McDaniel: They could draft beer league players the rest of the way, Almora is enough for multiple drafts, scouts say he will likely solve time travel within the year and that's conservative

He also said the 3 best drafts so far are the Cubs, Padres and Astros. The first driven behind an incredibly strong and possibly unhealthy infatuation with Almora.

tc farks

Conor Glassey of BA just said the 4 winners of day 1 were the Jays, Pads, Astros, and Cubs.

The Jays FO is a thing of beauty. Anthopoulos can't be stopped.

I don't follow amateur baseball like most folks, but the Brewers draft was interesting in that they picked up 3 RH power bats and the 38th pick was so similar to their 28th pick. It would appear they are looking for some POWER.

Drafting a power hitter with a wrist injury is risky. He might struggle to show off that power for a while.

eznark

Banned
Drafting a power hitter with a wrist injury is risky. He might struggle to show off that power for a while.

Not just like a lingering injury either, he broke the fucking wrist in February. You'd think that the legend of Rickie Weeks would scare them off wrist injuries.

And their first pick was a "toolsy" high school catcher. Kill me now.

tc farks

From my quick perusal Coulter is an under-slot guy. Ranked as the 46th best prospect by BA. Who got a deal in place before the draft to save the Brewers some $. He grunts when he swings though.

Gotta love this new CBA.

eznark

Banned
From my quick perusal Coulter is an under-slot guy. Ranked as the 46th best prospect by BA. Who got a deal in place before the draft to save the Brewers some $. He grunts when he swings though.

Gotta love this new CBA.

His interview was pretty hilarious. "I made it clear that I wasn't going to go to school, that's probably the only reason I went in the first"

You are a dumbass, kid.

tc farks

Oh he's gonna be fun. I hope he makes it.

Draft starts at 12 ET. We get to see the Nats draft a bunch of players they can't sign.

I'm kidding Nats fans, I'm sure Giolito will lower his demands.

tc farks

Continuing with pitying the Pirates: Mark Appel 'made himself unavaible' for a conference call yesterday with reporters, but said this today:

"I’m currently concentrating on winning a national championship and finishing my academic endeavors at Stanford. I will address the possibility of a professional career in due time."

Sure sounds a lot different then the guy who was laughing and having a great time during his expose before the draft about possibly being the 1st overall pick and returning to his home in Houston.

This will be a tough one for Pitt. I don't think they pull it off.

Jayson Stark
@jaysonst
If Pirates were to exceed their pool by more than $1M, they'd get fined $1M+ & lose 1st-round picks in each of next 2 drafts.

All-Star leaders in voting as of this morning:

American League:
1B: Prince Fielder, DET - 1,027,070
2B: Ian Kinsler, TEX - 1,447,171
3B: Adrian Beltre, TEX - 1,179,864
SS: Derek Jeter, NYY - 1,698,777
C: Mike Napoli, TEX - 1,224,565
DH: David Ortiz, BOS - 1,204,904
OF: Josh Hamilton, TEX - 2,587,991
OF: Curtis Granderson, NYY - 1,406,128
OF: Nelson Cruz, TEX - 992,992

National League:
1B: Joey Votto, CIN - 1,314,516
2B: Dan Uggla, ATL - 872,136
3B: David Wright, NYM - 856,887
SS: Troy Tulowitzki, COL - 823,708
C: Yadier Molina, STL - 1,100,048
OF: Matt Kemp, LAD - 1,952,910
OF: Carlos Beltran, STL - 1,212,030
OF: Ryan Braun, MIL - 1,112,971

All-Star leaders in voting as of this morning:

American League:
1B: Prince Fielder, DET - 1,027,070
2B: Ian Kinsler, TEX - 1,447,171
3B: Adrian Beltre, TEX - 1,179,864
SS: Derek Jeter, NYY - 1,698,777
C: Mike Napoli, TEX - 1,224,565
DH: David Ortiz, BOS - 1,204,904
OF: Josh Hamilton, TEX - 2,587,991
OF: Curtis Granderson, NYY - 1,406,128
OF: Nelson Cruz, TEX - 992,992

National League:
1B: Joey Votto, CIN - 1,314,516
2B: Dan Uggla, ATL - 872,136
3B: David Wright, NYM - 856,887
SS: Troy Tulowitzki, COL - 823,708
C: Yadier Molina, STL - 1,100,048
OF: Matt Kemp, LAD - 1,952,910
OF: Carlos Beltran, STL - 1,212,030
OF: Ryan Braun, MIL - 1,112,971

srsly? Is Trumbo on the ballot for 3B?

jakncoke

Banned
He has thrown 22 innings (27, whatever). They gave him a $2m signing bonus. It seems shockingly early to give up on him. A real indictment of the scouting department.

They seen dat arm and didn't care that he only been pitching since his senior year of HS. They thought they could fix it and teach him. so maybe its a combo of our coaches and scouting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom