• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Playoffs 2016 | Only thing worse than a Trump win is another Giants win

Status
Not open for further replies.

ViciousDS

Banned
Wonder how many Cubs fans there are who gave up on the game and went to bed before the ninth.

I was in bed long before the ninth. Games run so fucking late.....not like watching basketball at all lol.

I've also learned baseball has the most commercials of any blasted sport.....holy crap

Hi guys. Can I interest you in ketchup?

p3U8bjS.gif

can you imagine trying this with mustard? no, you can't. because she'd probably be burned alive or something.

I was in bed long before the ninth. Games run so fucking late.....not like watching basketball at all lol.

I've also learned baseball has the most commercials of any blasted sport.....holy crap

Its worse in the playoffs when they play ads during every pitcher change and managers feel they have to make a switch every 5 pitches or so.

BigAT

These playoffs feel like they have been especially bad with the lengths of games. Dodgers/Nationals yesterday was 3 hours, 44 minutes. On Monday their game was 4 hours, 12 minutes. Both 9 inning games.

Cleveland/Boston on Monday was a 4-3, 9 inning game that took 3 hours and 41 minutes. It's absurd.

Beckx

Baseball is good again! Otani blew away the Hawks (1 hit over 7 innings) and Sho Nakata homered and aaaaaa baseball is the best.

CukXNgYWgAQEZ31.jpg

Its worse in the playoffs when they play ads during every pitcher change and managers feel they have to make a switch every 5 pitches or so.

Really? It pails in comparison to football in terms of commerical breaks.

These playoffs feel like they have been especially bad with the lengths of games. Dodgers/Nationals yesterday was 3 hours, 44 minutes. On Monday their game was 4 hours, 12 minutes. Both 9 inning games.

Cleveland/Boston on Monday was a 4-3, 9 inning game that took 3 hours and 41 minutes. It's absurd.

You just take it as it is, man.

see5harp

i think strickland has been the biggest disappoint because they have been waiting to give him the closer roll and he has not taken it. he needs another pitch because even tho he throws hard his fast ball has no movement.

He's also the dumbest pitcher on the team. You got the count 0-2 and you serve fastballs down the pipe? He did the same shit that he did in 2014.

Yeah, not even his starter who was dominating all game and just needed three more outs for a complete game...

120 pitches, and even tohugh was was doing well, it's not like it's bumgarner. going to the pen was an obvious move there. even with the shittiest pen, a 3 run lead is almost always converted. the problem was that he handled the pen like shit. i was glad when he took out law for giving up a ground ball. it felt like an immediate break for the cubs.

Grant Brisbee ✔ @mccoveychron
"Bochy is walking out to the mound. Still walking. He just walked past it? Now he's climbing the arcade. He's... yes, he's in the Bay now."
11:53 PM - 11 Oct 2016

Line_HTX

Really? It pales in comparison to football in terms of commerical breaks.

No, not really. On average NFL games last 3 hours total, the same as an average baseball game. The longest a playoff game not including the Super Bowl has gone is around 3:30 hours. If anything, playoff baseball is way longer.

Love love LOVED the end of that game. Nothing better than watching the Giants choke away a sure thing.

Praying for an epic Dodgers-Cubs NLCS.

Doomsayer

Great article on Kershaw performance last night. A must read for idiots who always say he chokes in the postseason.

https://theringer.com/clayton-kersh...ers-2016-mlb-playoffs-4969800e9610#.pzntsmsyq

That was a great article. Kershaw started off shakey but really got his control in the second inning. Victim of circumstance in that 7th inning, for sure. I thought he stroke up Harper twice, honestly.

Thursday is going to be nuts. If we start Urias, do we let him go 3-4 innings or push for 5? Then who comes in? I would throw Hill in there for an inning or 2.

JDeluis

That was a great article. Kershaw started off shakey but really got his control in the second inning. Victim of circumstance in that 7th inning, for sure. I thought he stroke up Harper twice, honestly.

Thursday is going to be nuts. If we start Urias, do we let him go 3-4 innings or push for 5? Then who comes in? I would throw Hill in there for an inning or 2.

The plan seems to be to have Hill start the game and have Urias come in and relieve him once it starts going downhill. I think Urias has been training to come out of the bullpen for the past two months. As opposed to Hill who has only started games.

But for any of this to be effective, the offense needs to step up. The bullpen has been much better this year, but has also been overworked in game 2 and 3.

Grandal and Gonzalez really need to step up. I would also maybe start Kendrick in left field, since he does poorly when pinch hitting. Tolsey is a much better pinch hitter.

Doomsayer

The plan seems to be to have Hill start the game and have Urias come in and relieve him once it starts going downhill. I think Urias has been training to come out of the bullpen for the past two months. As opposed to Hill who has only started games.

But for any of this to be effective, the offense needs to step up. The bullpen has been much better this year, but has also been overworked in game 2 and 3.

Grandal and Gonzalez really need to step up. I would also maybe start Kendrick in left field, since he does poorly when pinch hitting. Tolsey is a much better pinch hitter.

Grandal has been a disaster, honestly. He is super streaky and is and if he isn't hitting homeruns he is pretty useless. Gonzalez looked old this year, I hope his homerun is a sign of things to come.

No, not really. On average NFL games last 3 hours total, the same as an average baseball game. The longest a playoff game not including the Super Bowl has gone is around 3:30 hours. If anything, playoff baseball is way longer.

It's because the MLB has the division series in which it's best of 5 (in which a team can only lose two games) & both the championship series & the world series where it's best of 7 (in which a team can lose at least 3 games). And the MLB doesn't have a time limit like the NFL, the NBA, the NHL or the MLS does.

With both of the NFL playoffs & the Super Bowl however, a team doesn't get a second chance if they lose; It's one & done.

Excellent article, thank you for posting it.

I like how they pointed out how Baez has basically been torpedoing Kershaw's starts for some time now lol

I've been arguing with a guy all day who continues to go on about Kershaw being the difference between the Giants having 3 rings to his none. While ignoring that fact that 8 of his last 11 inherited runners in the playoffs have been allowed to score.

He's a victim of bad circumstance, he's a good playoff pitcher that gets screwed by the fact that his bullpen has never been able to retire that last batter. As evidenced by yesterday.

Of course, that won't stop the idiots from forming the narrative of him being a "bad playoff pitcher" or "not clutch".

Two pronged news bulletin:

Report: Blue Jays plan to offer Encarnacion long-term deal

The Blue Jays reportedly intend to make a long-term offer to Encarnacion, according to Jon Heyman of Today's Knuckleball, who notes they plan to extend both Encarnacion and Jose Bautista a qualifying offer.

According to Heyman, the Blue Jays offered Encarnacion a two-year deal in the spring that included two option years and adds that while Toronto's offer will be competitive, it's not expected to blow him away and it isn't a guarantee that they won't be outbid.

and

Puig interested in playing in the WBC....with Mexico?

The Los Angeles Dodgers outfielder established residency in Mexico after his defection from Cuba in 2012. Cuba will not allow any MLB players or players who have defected to play for the nation in next year's contest.

Mexico manager Edgar Gonzalez also expressed interest to reporter Jon Paul Morosi in several other players, including Texas Rangers' Matt Bush, Oakland A's Khris Davis, Washington Nationals' Anthony Rendon and Danny Espinosa, and Miami Marlins' A.J. Ramos.

anecdotally it certainly seems to have increased in importance for non-US players & programs.

US MLB players still really don't seem to care much, nor does MLB itself.

I think MLB cares for it's abilities to crack into untapped markets, like Brazil, Israel and Western Europe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom