• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Playoffs 2016 | Only thing worse than a Trump win is another Giants win

Status
Not open for further replies.
All the fucking things we review in this game and a check swing is up to an umpire sitting behind first base. Unbelievable.

But I mean, what exactly do you want them to check? Even on replays it's not always clear.

That looked like a swing to me, and he wouldn't have run with the ball in the dirt otherwise.

Watch Miller and Allen pitch 200 balls tomorrow and another 200 on Sunday and we get swept and then they're put into the DL before the next series. Thanks Tito.

All the fucking things we review in this game and a check swing is up to an umpire sitting behind first base. Unbelievable.

check swings are 100% judgement calls. And the 1st base ump has a better view of that than the home plate ump.

Also if Pedey didn't think he swung he wouldn't have hauled ass to first base like that.

Dammit it was the right call. Oh well. Red Sox are known to win after being down in a series. They played like shit tonight and only lost by 1

spyder_ur

But I mean, what exactly do you want them to check? Even on replays it's not always clear.

That looked like a swing to me, and he wouldn't have run with the ball in the dirt otherwise.

check swings are 100% judgement calls. And the 1st base ump has a better view of that than the home plate ump.

Also if Pedey didn't think he swung he wouldn't have hauled ass to first base like that.

As to both of your second points, that's exactly what he should do. Years of baseball have trained him to run on check swings on balls in the dirt.

You know what else has been judgment calls over the course of baseball history? Literally everything. If they're going to have replay, a check-swing in the bottom of the ninth should be reviewable. To be clear, I thought the review call at second for the Indians was kind BS too, and I'm not sure replay has a role in the game period, except for maybe HRs where umps can't see. I hate 4 hour 9-inning games, but that's a larger issue.

The rule has always been poorly defined either way, though.

Malo

Banned
Pedro defending Buck a couple days ago and now criticizing Francona for using Miller and Allen too early lol

Pedro pls

Bogey Betts and Bradley went 0-11. They had terrible at bats with runners on. Swinging at balls that weren't even close. And Porcello had his worst start of the year
But that's the thing with baseball, isn't it? Do you blame those guys for going 0-11, or do you give credit to the pitchers who made them go 0-11?

So both the Blue Jays & the Indians won game one.

Not over by a long shot, guys; This isn't Wild Card or the NFL Playoffs/Super Bowl where it's one & done. Comebacks can always happen.

As to both of your second points, that's exactly what he should do. Years of baseball have trained him to run on check swings on balls in the dirt.

You know what else has been judgment calls over the course of baseball history? Literally everything. If they're going to have replay, a check-swing in the bottom of the ninth should be reviewable. To be clear, I thought the review call at second for the Indians was kind BS too, and I'm not sure replay has a role in the game period, except for maybe HRs where umps can't see. I hate 4 hour 9-inning games, but that's a larger issue.

The rule has always been poorly defined either way, though.

I think reviews are great and managers should be able to use them on anything. Want to waste your review on a fucking strike call? Do it. Just change the rule so you only get one (two for playoffs).

I'm just saying that a review of a check swing still might not bring definitive proof.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
If the Jays don't win tomorrow I blame Adele.

pmYgGz1.jpg

neoemonk

I missed both games yesterday. The kids have practices on Thursday evenings, and I pulled a total old man move and fell asleep at 8:30 last night. Now it's 3:30 AM and I'm up for the day and I saw that Porcello is still losing to the Indians lol

jman2050

My prediction: After Cleveland wins their first playoff series, they end up playing Toronto in a decently competitive series. They go ahead 2-0 with ease before letting Toronto even the series at 2-2 making them sweat a bit. They recover and win the series 4-2 to go to the World Series.

There they meet the Giants, a Bay Area team who recently won the championship and who seem preordained by everyone to win it again. Cleveland quickly finds itself down 3-1 with Bumgarner set to pitch game 5 for the series and EYBS seems to strike again. However, during a night in the town a drunken Bumgarner gets into a scuffle with a heckler and kicks him in the nuts, but strains his hamstring in the process and knocks himself out of commission for game 5. Cleveland wins games 5 and 6 and is poised for the comeback, but Bumgarner heals just in time to pitch the pivotal game 7 for all the marbles. He throws an absolute gem, as expected, but behind a bevy of starters and Miller the Indians keep up with him and pull ahead in the late innings. Their comeback is complete when Rajai Davis robs Conor Gillapsie of a go-ahead homer in the 9th to seal the victory and give the Indians their first world series in, I don't know, who cares, it was a long time ago.

Lebron James is named World Series MVP.

Malo

Banned
My prediction: After Cleveland wins their first playoff series, they end up playing Toronto in a decently competitive series. They go ahead 2-0 with ease before letting Toronto even the series at 2-2 making them sweat a bit. They recover and win the series 4-2 to go to the World Series.

There they meet the Giants, a Bay Area team who recently won the championship and who seem preordained by everyone to win it again. Cleveland quickly finds itself down 3-1 with Bumgarner set to pitch game 5 for the series and EYBS seems to strike again. However, during a night in the town a drunken Bumgarner gets into a scuffle with a heckler and kicks him in the nuts, but strains his hamstring in the process and knocks himself out of commission for game 5. Cleveland wins games 5 and 6 and is poised for the comeback, but Bumgarner heals just in time to pitch the pivotal game 7 for all the marbles. He throws an absolute gem, as expected, but behind a bevy of starters and Miller the Indians keep up with him and pull ahead in the late innings. Their comeback is complete when Rajai Davis robs Conor Gillapsie of a go-ahead homer in the 9th to seal the victory and give the Indians their first world series in, I don't know, who cares, it was a long time ago.

Lebron James is named World Series MVP.
: jnc

But that's the thing with baseball, isn't it? Do you blame those guys for going 0-11, or do you give credit to the pitchers who made them go 0-11?

You give credit to the pitching staff for having good gameplans to attack those guys and being able to execute, but you have to fault the hitters for not adjusting their approach as the game went on. They just went up to the plate flailing away at bad pitches without any kind of strategy. All three of those guys had terrible ABs for the most part.

Pretty much outside of Hanley, no one on the Sox roster was effective at all with RISP.

gamz

I will definitely be rooting for them, but trying to temper my excitement. We’ve been this far too many times before and have been burned.

2003 still hurts.

Hell, 84 still hurts. That was my first crushing blow.

We have a windows of about 5 years to win it. Let's do it!

Hobbun

Hell, 84 still hurts. That was my first crushing blow.

We have a windows of about 5 years to win it. Let's do it!

Yeah, ’84 was another one. But I was only 12 then. I remember how much I hated Steve Garvey after that series. lol

It was tougher for my father.

gamz

Yeah, ’84 was another one. But I was only 12 then. I remember how much I hated Steve Garvey after that series. lol

It was tougher for my father.

Killed. Won the first two games and then shit the bed. We easily the better team and I was excited about a Cubs Vs Tigers matchup. Arhhhhh!

Hobbun

Killed. Won the first two games and then shit the bed. We easily the better team and I was excited about a Cubs Vs Tigers matchup. Arhhhhh!

Yeah, I know. I remember how excited my father and I were when they shellacked the Padres that first game. We both went to that game.

Ah well. They have a shot here, let’s finally do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom