• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Postseason 2013 |OT| - Chicken n Beer-less Diet

BFIB

Which near no-hitter are you talking about? Dude has had a couple I believe.

Also, yeah Opiate, Pujols leaving has been paying dividends recently.

One thing that I think is also get overlooked is the amount of money coming off the books. No more Carpenter, Furcal, Beltran (hopefully he comes back). Cards obviously can't go crazy with arbitration, but hopefully they can get a few wayward vets to help fill the bench some.

One thing that I think is also get overlooked is the amount of money coming off the books. No more Carpenter, Furcal, Beltran (hopefully he comes back). Cards obviously can't go crazy with arbitration, but hopefully they can get a few wayward vets to help fill the bench some.

I guess I missed that Carpenter officially declared retirement through his agent a few weeks ago. Totally sad to see him go out like this, but it only made sense at this point. Whatever is messing with his shoulder seems unidentifiable or at least non-repairable. I'd hope for Beltran to return for two more seasons, but we'll see. It's not saying much, but he's either going to come back, go to the AL, or retire... and I don't see him retiring.

I can't tell which part of the Pujols contract I like more: the fact that the Cardinals aren't paying it, or the fact that the Angels sacrificed the draft slot the Cardinals used to draft Wacha as compensation for the esteemed honor of giving Pujols 250 million dollars.
And that Piscotty fellow (the other compensation pick from #5's departure) isn't doing too badly in the minors. If he makes it to the majors and contributes, letting Pujols walk has got to be the best non-move in the history of the sport, right? And probably one of the best "transactions" since the Babe got traded?

I guess I missed that Carpenter officially declared retirement through his agent a few weeks ago. Totally sad to see him go out like this, but it only made sense at this point. Whatever is messing with his shoulder seems unidentifiable or at least non-repairable. I'd hope for Beltran to return for two more seasons, but we'll see. It's not saying much, but he's either going to come back, go to the AL, or retire... and I don't see him retiring.
I love Beltran and all he's done for us but you don't want to give him multiple years. Qualifying offer and be happy with a one year deal or an extra draft pick. We pushed our luck with Berkman and got burned but it was only one year.

Plus, our RF depth right now is in a limbo-like state with Craig/Taveras where we can find ABs for Beltran in 2014 but that position should be filled in 2015 and beyond.

Opiate

Or Westbrook. That's another 8M off the table. Combined, that's a savings of 44M, all of which has been dead weight save Beltran, whom I also hope we bring back, but preferably on a yearly basis given age and fragility.

Oh dear..

iU16jgi.png

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
"All funds raised will go to St. Louis Cardinals Nation" ...which is a charity of some sort? A google search turned up nothing except blogs and message boards.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Gold Glove nominations out, and no major laughers in the list?

But then we can't label these kinds of plays as Gold Glove caliber!

michaelyoungdefense.gif

myisbad2.gif

MICHAEL-YOUNG.gif

young070212.gif

iq7njRItgCvao.gif

michaelyoungthrow.gif

The Braves are telling teams they'd be willing to pay $20 million of Dan Uggla's remaining $26 million in a potential trade where Uggla is the only piece that goes from their side. But if the other team insists on the Braves sending a prospect along with Uggla, the Braves will expect the other team to pick up more than $6 million of Uggla's salary.

The current talk is a deal where the Braves would send Uggla and a prospect to the Reds in exchange for Brandon Phillips.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Why would anyone want Brandon Philips? Guy is on a major decline, no?

His contract isn't that horrid. He's still a 3 war player and thats roughly his salary. It's a fair deal, perhaps slightly overpaid but hardly the awful deal most people make it out to be.

Of course theres all the other shit teams might not want around. But it'd totally be worth it for the Braves to do a an Uggla + Prospect swap for Phillips.

Well this is embarrassing, but I've never actually looked at their account, just whatever was reposted here in GAF. I hardly know how Twitter works. But I just checked the BFIBB Twitter out now and it does depress me.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Why would anyone want Brandon Philips? Guy is on a major decline, no?

I really hope somebody wants him. Two or three years ago I probably would have been completely devastated if the Reds dealt away Phillips. However, my opinion changed this year. My stepdad was at a game this year with his son, they were sitting down the first base line just at the end of the dugout next to some attractive girls. Throughout the whole game Phillips and these chicks were passing notes written on baseballs they were throwing back and forth. I'm not trying to hate on the guy but it's a pretty unprofessional thing to do. The glares my stepdad described from the other players on the bench was not a loving one.

Phillips is best described as the Chad Johnson of baseball. Sure he had some good seasons, is fun to watch, and makes flashy plays but dude is a cancerous leech on the organization. His personality is not a good fit for the Reds, and now that his production numbers are in a free fall it's time to offload him.

ps. St Louis keeping it classy as always smh.

I really hope somebody wants him. Two or three years ago I probably would have been completely devastated if the Reds dealt away Phillips. However, my opinion changed this year. My stepdad was at a game this year with his son, they were sitting down the first base line just at the end of the dugout next to some attractive girls. Throughout the whole game Phillips and these chicks were passing notes written on baseballs they were throwing back and forth. I'm not trying to hate on the guy but it's a pretty unprofessional thing to do. The glares my stepdad described from the other players on the bench was not a loving one.

Phillips is best described as the Chad Johnson of baseball. Sure he had some good seasons, is fun to watch, and makes flashy plays but dude is a cancerous leech on the organization. His personality is not a good fit for the Reds, and now that his production numbers are in a free fall it's time to offload him.

ps. St Louis keeping it classy as always smh.

I was with you on the hate bandwagon, until that story about the baseballs.

Now I like him again.

As for the St. Louis Stronger thing, I would almost guarantee that the person responsible for those shirts doesn't realize where the "Boston Strong" thing came from. He probably thinks it's a team-saying. No need to throw the entire fanbase under the bus.

Sanjuro

Too much bitching in Boston about one loss. It's been rather spectacular.

In a series where both of our starters outpitched the Cardinals and have gotten some offensive product, there isn't much to blame on Farrell.

Nava instead of Gomes? Valid. Nava is a bit worse defensively, terrible on the base paths. Still, one of the best players in the league at the plate. We've been winning though up until that game...moot point overall, but debatable.

Taking out Lackey too early? Nope. Almost anyone would have taken him out there. Breslow had been great up to the outing, still not opposed to putting him back in that situation. Lackey outpitched Wacha. May have had some juice in the tank still. Who knows. Monday Morning QB shit.

Taking Drew out of the lineup? Nope. Replace him with who? Xander isn't lighting the world on fire and you would need to out Middlebrooks back in the lineup who is equally as streaky. Also, regardless of his 4th worst batter in MLB postseason history record, you have no damn lefties outside Ortiz.

Ross over Salty? Nope. I prefer Ross, but at this point you're going with which ever pitcher feels more comfortable and pitching efficiently. Salty provides a larger offensive gamble similar to Napoli. Ross has a wizard beard.

Start Napoli as catcher? Lolololololololololol. I do this in MLB: The Show for a reason!

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I hope Beltran hits like the game winning hr in game 7 with two strikes just to stick it to the mess again.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
I hope Beltran hits like the game winning hr in game 7 with two strikes just to stick it to the mess again.

Beltran was one of the only reasons the Mets were even relevant all those years. It still makes me laugh to see Mets fans make fun of the guy, you'd think the years of irrelevance since would make people appreciate how great he is.

JCizzle

Too much bitching in Boston about one loss. It's been rather spectacular.

In a series where both of our starters outpitched the Cardinals and have gotten some offensive product, there isn't much to blame on Farrell.

Nava instead of Gomes? Valid. Nava is a bit worse defensively, terrible on the base paths. Still, one of the best players in the league at the plate. We've been winning though up until that game...moot point overall, but debatable.

Taking out Lackey too early? Nope. Almost anyone would have taken him out there. Breslow had been great up to the outing, still not opposed to putting him back in that situation. Lackey outpitched Wacha. May have had some juice in the tank still. Who knows. Monday Morning QB shit.

Taking Drew out of the lineup? Nope. Replace him with who? Xander isn't lighting the world on fire and you would need to out Middlebrooks back in the lineup who is equally as streaky. Also, regardless of his 4th worst batter in MLB postseason history record, you have no damn lefties outside Ortiz.

Ross over Salty? Nope. I prefer Ross, but at this point you're going with which ever pitcher feels more comfortable and pitching efficiently. Salty provides a larger offensive gamble similar to Napoli. Ross has a wizard beard.

Start Napoli as catcher? Lolololololololololol. I do this in MLB: The Show for a reason!

Pretty crazy that Carp didn't bat in the 9th last night. I would have gone Nava, Salty, Carp, but overall I agree that there really isn't much Farrell can do differently other than starting Nava (which is pretty much a no brainer in this series, but Gomes is a WINNAH). I'd also be super cautious about using Breslow in high leverage situations, he's been shaky as fuck since the Rays series.

Top Bottom