• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Regular Season 2013 |OT| - Natinals Already Won

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluemax

Banned
You're drunk. There is ZERO hint of power in him. All he does is pull the ball now on the ground.

Finally, I’ll note that you still shouldn’t be too worried about Dustin Ackley. His 92.5% contact rate is 8th best in the majors, and pretty much any hitter who can make contact 90% of the time can be reasonably productive as long as they aren’t also chasing pitches out of the strike zone. Even if Ackley never develops any power, his current offensive skillset isn’t so different from a guy like Marco Scutaro, and he’s been a useful, underrated middle infielder for years. I know it’s annoying to watch him keeping rolling balls over to second base, but there just aren’t examples of guys with Ackley’s skillset who didn’t eventually see better results than he has in the last year and change. The power remains a question, and if he doesn’t drive the ball regularly like he did when he first came up, he might not ever be more than an average second baseman, but you shouldn’t be jumping off the bandwagon yet. He’ll be okay. Give him time.

http://www.ussmariner.com/2013/04/08/first-week-thoughts/

After Harvey, we have a #5 starter in Gee and two minor leaguers. How does that not worry you?
Gee sure didn't pitch like a #5 last year, he's coming off a rather serious procedure done on him. He's not immediately going to be the same bulldog pitcher, he may need another month or so to right himself. Hef can be a good #5, just had a bad outing.

Gee sure didn't pitch like a #5 last year, he's coming off a rather serious procedure done on him. He's not immediately going to be the same bulldog pitcher, he may need another month or so to right himself. Hef can be a good #5, just had a bad outing.

Gee at 3 aint too bad. Hefner and Laffey do not belong in MLB.

ROYALS-DOUBLE-BIRD.gif

Classy.

Gannd

Banned
Have there been any bets yet on whether the Angels or Dodgers will end the season with a better record?

They both seem like strong candidates to underperform their payrolls/roster expectations.

Over 300 Million in suck going on in LA. It feels good.

How happy must Rangers fans be that they dumped Josh Hamilton. They dodged an expensive bullet.

We're 10 games in and all there is to look forward to is bitching about the M's on MLB-GAF with Rando and Mac for the next five months. It's like Groundhog Day.

cashman

Banned
Look on the bright side, you've got king Felix going against shitty Justin grimm tonight. M's can't possibly screw that up!

dubc35

I can't stop watching it. The sheer disappointment in the kid behind him that doesn't catch it, his friend vibrating at the end he's so effing excited, is that his dad at the end of the row? "I'm going to put my fist in the air and just leave it there." Then the bottom one, generation gap (was titled "Generations" on sbnation), is he disappointed in the action? the fact he didn't catch it? the fact he is pouring a $10 beer all over himself? The 15 yo loves it, can't get enough!

Sanjuro

I can't stop watching it. The sheer disappointment in the kid behind him that doesn't catch it, his friend vibrating at the end he's so effing excited, is that his dad at the end of the row? "I'm going to put my fist in the air and just leave it there." Then the bottom one, generation gap (was titled "Generations" on sbnation), is he disappointed in the action? the fact he didn't catch it? the fact he is pouring a $10 beer all over himself? The 15 yo loves it, can't get enough!

The price of the ball makes up for the beer cost. I mean, that is what you're supposed to do at that moment. Best fan moment in sports.

dubc35

The price of the ball makes up for the beer cost. I mean, that is what you're supposed to do at that moment. Best fan moment in sports.

It's the highlight of the M's season. In the past decade Felix's perfect game is the only thing that tops it.
...maybe exaggerating a bit

mlbtraderumors.com said:
Mets Monitoring Giancarlo Stanton, Carlos Gonzalez
By Tim Dierkes

The Mets "retain an unfilled craving for a marquee outfielder," writes Andy Martino of the New York Daily News, and are monitoring superstars such as Giancarlo Stanton of the Marlins and Carlos Gonzalez of the Rockies. One Mets person told Martino "there is heat there," in regard to the team having a preliminary discussion with the Marlins about Stanton. Still, Martino is unsure whether GMs Sandy Alderson and Larry Beinfest have discussed the powerful right fielder.

To acquire four years of Stanton, the Mets would likely have to part with their two best prospects, pitcher Zack Wheeler and catcher Travis D'Arnaud. An associate of Alderson's told Martino the GM "did not have any extra attachment to those players, simply because he traded for them."

According to Martino, the Mets debated using Wheeler to get Justin Upton or Wil Myers, during the Winter Meetings. They also considered asking for the Dodgers' Andre Ethier in an R.A. Dickey deal, and this spring checked in on the Cubs' Alfonso Soriano. So, it appears the Mets' long-term interest in improving the outfield runs the gamut, from the game's best young stars to overpaid veterans. The Mets were willing to increase payroll to the $125MM range last winter for the right players, writes Martino.

Keep in mind that no deals are close, and the idea that Stanton or CarGo could become available this year is speculation.

would Mets-GAf give up both Travis D'Arnaud and Wheeler to get Stanton? I know I would. I also really like Carlos Gonzalez. In the article in Daily News, Martino says Sandy really wants to build a team based on power. The man believes in the longball.

McNei1y

How do people get these gifs? Do they have the archive footage from MLBtv?

I love the beer cup one. They just seem so excited cheering him on.

would Mets-GAf give up both Travis D'Arnaud and Wheeler to get Stanton? I know I would. I also really like Carlos Gonzalez. In the article in Daily News, Martino says Sandy really wants to build a team based on power. The man believes in the longball.

D'arnaud to the Marlins would really make them the young jays

McNei1y

The ones I posted were from sbnation. They usually have a few a day, and also have a gif of the week contest.

I've made a lot of Nationals gifs but the only footage I get is from the videos on MLB.com.

I would trade so much for Stanton. When the Marlins were giving away their entire team to the Blue Jays, I was hoping we'd attempt to make a move for him. I really loved when Harper tweeted him and he responded something along the lines of "Unfortunately my last name is Notnats backwards." Werth - Harper - Stanton would've been beautiful.

Parch

They really should make an effort to schedule April games in domes or southern climates. It's going to be a long, cold, soggy day in Detroit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom