• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Regular Season 2013 |OT| - Natinals Already Won

Status
Not open for further replies.
It'd be nice if Heyward and BJ could get it going this weekend along with everyone else performing roughly the same as they have been. Heyward has had some bad luck with some of his contact though. There is nothing worse then hitting the ball solidly, right at someone.

It'd be nice if Heyward and BJ could get it going this weekend along with everyone else performing roughly the same as they have been. Heyward has had some bad luck with some of his contact though. There is nothing worse then hitting the ball solidly, right at someone.

Yeah. I'm not worried about either of them. B.J. is making more contact lately, but it's at people. Heyward smoked the ball twice at people last night in plays that got called errors. Heyward's April last year was slow too. They will be fine.

It will be interesting to see how the Braves do now that they are facing a competent team. But if you had told me they'd start 8-1 with virtually nothing from BJ and Heyward with both McCann and Venters on the DL, I wouldn't have believed you.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Don't worry about Upton and Heyward. If they keep struggling it'll be okay cause they got Jose Constanza waiting to back his rightful place.

Prade

would Mets-GAf give up both Travis D'Arnaud and Wheeler to get Stanton? I know I would. I also really like Carlos Gonzalez. In the article in Daily News, Martino says Sandy really wants to build a team based on power. The man believes in the longball.

No. Filling out an MLB outfield is easier than having a potential MLB all star catcher and Ace.

BJ is a career .250 hitter. It's not like he's going to automatically become Ted Williams all of a sudden. That guy has too much of a big swing for a guy of his stature. He should be slapping the ball, getting on base, stealing bases, and scoring runs. How can you even justify paying him all that money if he doesn't do the very thing that would make him worthwhile?

Rosenthal is reporting the Mariners are close to acquiring Aaron Harang from the Rockies. The Mariners will also receive cash considerations from the Rockies. The Rockies will get a minor league, right-handed pitcher from the Mariners.

bluemax

Banned
Aaron Harang huh? Can't be worse than Blake Beaven.

Well...

Aaron Harang was once very good. He didn’t walk anyone and he struck a lot of guys out, so his HR problem wasn’t too big of an issue. But, then, in 2010, he stopped striking people out, and now he’s turned into a guy who nibbles at the corners of the strike zone. His walk rate is up, his strikeout rate is down, and his success the last two years was almost entirely due to low HR rates. His career HR/FB rate is 10.3%, but last year, it was 6.3%, which allowed him to put runners on but not let too many score.

Unfortunately, HR/FB rate isn’t particularly predictive, and is nowhere near as predictive as BB% and K%, both of which suggest that Harang isn’t particularly good anymore. Mixed in with Harang’s below average ground ball rate, that put his xFIP-, which is park adjusted and relative to league average, at 126 last year. That’s basically replacement level. For context, Blake Beavan‘s career xFIP- is 117.

Now, that’s just one year, and Harang has been much better than he was last year before, so there’s a pretty good chance that Harang is better than Beavan. But, don’t be fooled by the ERA. Harang isn’t good, which is why the Dodgers dumped him and the Rockies had no interest in keeping him. He’s an innings eater trying to hang on to the remains of his career. As a #5 starter, he might be okay for a while, but he’s certainly not any kind of salvation. He’ll be better than Beavan, most likely, but not particularly good. If Erasmo Ramirez ever gets healthy, then Harang will also have to be better than Brandon Maurer to stay in the rotation. Harang might be better than Maurer too, the kid can’t figure out how to get his breaking balls to stop hanging in the middle of the strike zone, so maybe Harang sticks around for a while.

But, Harang is basically a worse version of Jon Garland, the guy who the M’s let go a few weeks ago. It’s the same idea, just without the same ability to throw strikes. Hooray veteran mediocrity.

http://www.ussmariner.com/2013/04/11/mariners-to-acquire-aaron-harang/#comments

Good thing we dumped Garland for nothing!

Brashnir

BJ is a career .250 hitter. It's not like he's going to automatically become Ted Williams all of a sudden. That guy has too much of a big swing for a guy of his stature. He should be slapping the ball, getting on base, stealing bases, and scoring runs. How can you even justify paying him all that money if he doesn't do the very thing that would make him worthwhile?

BJ is definitely the lesser of the Uptons at the plate, but he has enough power to make a difference over the course of a season. He's in a good place now - a team where there will likely be guys on base in front of him when he does get ahold of one.

Of course, as a Nats fan, I hope they all get the flu every time they play us.

Brashnir

Party pooper. We can beat the Dodgers, their allergic to scoring.

So far. they've got too much talent for that to continue all year. (though with a trip to SD coming up, it may well hold a while longer.)

I have Panda in fantasy. now would be a great time for him to crush one for me.

edit - alright we'll take the walk for OBP

cashman

Banned
DarvishWallace.gif

Syrinx

would Mets-GAf give up both Travis D'Arnaud and Wheeler to get Stanton? I know I would. I also really like Carlos Gonzalez. In the article in Daily News, Martino says Sandy really wants to build a team based on power. The man believes in the longball.

This is a tough one. Wheeler looks like a stud and it's incredibly tough to find a catching prospect as good as d'Arnaud. But on the other hand...Stanton's, what, 23 years old? I think he might be younger than d'Arnaud. I may have to say yes to that trade if the Mets can give him a long-term deal when they get him.

Brashnir

This is a tough one. Wheeler looks like a stud and it's incredibly tough to find a catching prospect as good as d'Arnaud. But on the other hand...Stanton's, what, 23 years old? I think he might be younger than d'Arnaud. I may have to say yes to that trade if the Mets can give him a long-term deal when they get him.

Giancarlo Stanton is a freaking monster. He'd hit 50 if he played in Cincinnatti. Not sure if a move to the Mets would do much to his numbers, though they're still pretty impressive as they are.

edit - hell, he might hit 50 anywhere if he gets the PAs.

Syrinx

Giancarlo Stanton is a freaking monster. He'd hit 50 if he played in Cincinnatti. Not sure if a move to the Mets would do much to his numbers, though they're still pretty impressive as they are.

Well the new park in Miami isn't exactly a bandbox, and he hits them as hard as anybody, so I really don't think the size of the park would be that big an issue.

Maybe Sandy can work some magic in the offseason after he only hits 25 or so because absolutely nobody pitched to him lol. Though there will almost certainly be a competitor or two that will give the Marlins more or less whatever they want, so that probably wouldn't work. But a package of d'Arnaud and Wheeler would probably be as good as any other team could come up with.

I've been excited about Wheeler for awhile and it would suck to see him go...but for Stanton...my trigger finger would get pretty damn itchy if I were in Sandy's shoes.

Brashnir

Well the new park in Miami isn't exactly a bandbox, and he hits them as hard as anybody, so I really don't think the size of the park would be that big an issue.

Maybe Sandy can work some magic in the offseason after he only hits 25 or so because absolutely nobody pitched to him lol. Though there will almost certainly be a competitor or two that will give the Marlins more or less whatever they want, so that probably wouldn't work. But a package of d'Arnaud and Wheeler would probably be as good as any other team could come up with.

I've been excited about Wheeler for awhile and it would suck to see him go...but for Stanton...my trigger finger would get pretty damn itchy if I were in Sandy's shoes.

He can hit them out of anywhere, sure. I was suggesting that the giant new park in Miami was hurting him. He'd put up scary numbers in a hitter-friendly park (not that Citi is such a park)

He hit 30 playing in that big ass ball park in Miami. I'm sure there's other teams that are willing to offer more than The Mets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom