• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Regular Season 2013 |OT| - Natinals Already Won

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenix

He is the heart and soul of the franchise.

I've seen your bullpen on paper and off, they are still lousy. Jays still have some work to do.

???

Bullpen (active roster, i.e. including fucking Ramon Ortiz over Sergio Santos) is 2nd in MLB by fWAR and has a 2.81 ERA/2.73 FIP/3.88 xFIP. The bullpen is fine and managed by someone who is actually competent at managing a pen. The questions are more of the health variety.

Sanjuro

???

Bullpen (active roster, i.e. including fucking Ramon Ortiz over Sergio Santos) is 2nd in MLB by fWAR and has a 2.81 ERA/2.73 FIP/3.88 xFIP. The bullpen is fine and managed by someone who is actually competent at managing a pen. The questions are more of the health variety.

We are one month in. Do you have proof that he is competent at that duty? I just see the same lousy manager you had several seasons ago when Cito was bored.

Fenix

We are one month in. Do you have proof that he is competent at that duty? I just see the same lousy manager you had several seasons ago when Cito was bored.
Consensus was back then that he was competent at managing the bullpen. Not sure why that would have changed.

Gibby's main problem is that he sometimes relies on micro-splits too much. But that's pretty much the same as any non-Maddon manager.

Sanjuro

Consensus was back then that he was competent at managing the bullpen. Not sure why that would have changed.

Gibby's main problem is that he sometimes relies on micro-splits too much. But that's pretty much the same as any non-Maddon manager.

Maybe he will, we shall see. I'm not shitting on the Jays. Bullpen last year was bad and still largely comprised of the old crew this season.

Friggz

The Pedroia argument makes no sense.

John Valentin was a beast that season. Albert Belle arguably had better stats, everyone hated the scumbag though. Edgar Martinez was a lowly DH.

MVP also doesn't equal best statistical player, as we have seen numerous times in the past.

He played on a All-Star team though.

edgar was a DH, but vaughn might as well have been. Just becuase someone plays the field, doesnt mean they should be. infact vaughn probably hurt the sox more on the field than helped.

ANd MVP should be the best player in the league, not how good your team does, especially when so many other factors play into that. Arod missed out on a few MVPs becuase of this.

Sanjuro

edgar was a DH, but vaughn might as well have been. Just becuase someone plays the field, doesnt mean they should be. infact vaughn probably hurt the sox more on the field than helped.

ANd MVP should be the best player in the league, not how good your team does, especially when so many other factors play into that. Arod missed out on a few MVPs becuase of this.

Wow. Oh, wow. Where do I even begin...

Fenix

Maybe he will, we shall see. I'm not shitting on the Jays. Bullpen last year was bad and still largely comprised of the old crew this season.
Beginning of the year, sure. Santos tried to pitch through injury and then Cordero was named closer over the far better option of Janssen (sidenote: that lasted till like the all-star break, wtf). Second half of the year added Loup, Delabar and Cecil (finally) to the BP. Cecil was the only one that really faltered much, and again it was due to him being exposed to righties when he should be a LOOGY.

Delabar and Rogers still scare me from time to time, but for the worst members of the pen they're certainly not awful.

Etheus

Neo Member

Stupid sexy Friggz making so much sense

Friggz

Not really. He shares a fantasy opinion about how the award is viewed and voted on.

how its voted on isnt how it should be voted on. you think cabrera should have been the MVP over trout last year? Cabrera should have finished 3rd in my ranking.

Sanjuro

how its voted on isnt how it should be voted on. you think cabrera should have been the MVP over trout last year? Cabrera should have finished 3rd in my ranking.

No, but I knew he would be. You're also trying to apply advanced statistics (not used at least up to 2012) in the year 1995.

zychi

Banned
still have no idea how mo vaughn won an MVP. lol. Its about as bad as pedroia winning one.

Pedroia was beastly that year, the fact that Youk got third place, shows how big of a contributor pedroia was statistically for that team. youk got most of his rbi from pedroia's runs

The .326 batting average, 213 hits, 118 runs, 54 doubles, 17 home runs, 20 stolen bases do not tell the whole story of how valuable Dustin was to the team in 2008. He also played gritty Gold Glove defense, and served as the igniting spark plug in our clubhouse all year.

That's MVP worthy.

Friggz

Pedroia was beastly that year, the fact that Youk got third place, shows how big of a contributor pedroia was statistically for that team. youk got most of his rbi from pedroia's runs

That's MVP worthy.

i would have given it to mauer or sizemore. But whats done is done.

Friggz

There still is.

i hate the minute in between posting..real PITA.

and i understand there still is. but again, its not right. there are 100 diffreent ways that baseball can be looked at statistically to not worry about rbi, runs, batting average, etc.

either way, vaughn shouldnt have won in 95.

3N16MA

Banned
Dear Voter:

There is no clear-cut definition of what Most Valuable means. It is up to the individual voter to decide who was the Most Valuable Player in each league to his team. The MVP need not come from a division winner or other playoff qualifier.

The rules of the voting remain the same as they were written on the first ballot in 1931:

1. Actual value of a player to his team, that is, strength of offense and defense.

2. Number of games played.

3. General character, disposition, loyalty and effort.

4. Former winners are eligible.

5. Members of the committee may vote for more than one member of a team.

You are also urged to give serious consideration to all your selections, from 1 to 10. A 10th-place vote can influence the outcome of an election. You must fill in all 10 places on your ballot. Only regular-season performances are to be taken into consideration.

Keep in mind that all players are eligible for MVP, including pitchers and designated hitters.

Basically there is no set in stone meaning of "MVP" in MLB. However it is an individual award not a team award. Where a team finishes should not impact who wins the award in my opinion. Last season many Cabrera supporters played the "he is on a post season team" card as a point against Trout. Made no sense as the Angels finished with a better record than the Tigers and Trout should not be punished for playing in a tougher division.

To me the MVP is the best player in each league regardless of where his team is in the standings. That player did everything they could to help their team achieve success and should not be denied the award because his teammates were not as successful as another team.

Link

The Autumn Wind
What a clusterfuck this entire series has been. Hey Frank, how you enjoying this "good" bullpen?

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
I'd given it to Monreau that year over Mauer.
Mauer's OBP that year was .413 (only the 4th highest in his career). His OPS was 9 points less than Morneau's. Morneau had a shit load of RBI because Mauer was always on base in front of him. Honestly, Mauer or Santana should've won MVP in 2006 instead of Morneau.

Though looking at BB Ref again broke my heart because I had to look at Morneau's pre-injury 2010 stat line again. Through 81 games: .345/.437/.618. 18 HR, 25 2B. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom