• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Regular Season 2013 |OT| - Natinals Already Won

Status
Not open for further replies.

Macattk15

I wish Iwakuma's blister would fucking heal.

Having to be taken out after 70 pitches in a game he is pitching well in is pretty annoying.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Or maybe let the voters make up their minds the way they always have.

Baseball isn't played on spreadsheets.
The voters have proven themselves to be idiots time and again, though.

Baseball isn't played on spreadsheets. But you can plug the data from games played into spreadsheets and find interesting data. It's no different than counting dingers and ribeyes.

Brashnir

The voters have proven themselves to be idiots time and again, though.

Baseball isn't played on spreadsheets. But you can plug the data into games played into spreadsheets and find interesting data. It's no different than counting dingers and ribeyes.

I can't think of a single time in my lifetime the voters have chosen a player who I thought was worthy. There have been plenty of years where I may have disagreed with the winner or the order, but it's always been one of the guys who are among the best in the league, going by the "Duh" metric - which is the only metric that should matter in a conglomeration of opinions.

I'm not saying there isn't value in stats, advanced or otherwise. Baseball is a game that holds its numbers higher than any other, and there's plenty to be dissected and analyzed. But slavishly devoting yourself to them to the point where you won't even give a player the eye test is more idiotic than the voters you criticize.

Friggz

I can't think of a single time in my lifetime the voters have chosen a player who I thought was worthy. There have been plenty of years where I may have disagreed with the winner or the order, but it's always been one of the guys who are among the best in the league, going by the "Duh" metric - which is the only metric that should matter in a conglomeration of opinions.

I'm not saying there isn't value in stats, advanced or otherwise. Baseball is a game that holds its numbers higher than any other, and there's plenty to be dissected and analyzed. But slavishly devoting yourself to them to the point where you won't even give a player the eye test is more idiotic than the voters you criticize.

the eye test only works on defense. there is hardly ever a need for the eye test with pitching and hitting becuase of all of the advanced metrics.

turnbuckle

Avila is a good catcher but not so much a clutch hitter or a hitter at all.

Damn it, I'm complaining again.

lol

I've been unimpressed with verlander this year and even today until the last couple innings. I keep worrying we're going to get the 2008 guy back at any time.

set the bar too high, to the point where whenever his whip is above 1 I'm not satisfied. I haven't expected Avila to do anything since that opening series against Boston last year.

I still use Martinez as my catcher in the show even though he keeps getting injured for me.

spoke too soon on verlander. he's trash

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member

Oh, I give players the "eye test" but I try to corroborate my thoughts with actual facts. Thinking the "eye test" is a replacement for hard data is about the most idiotic thing I can imagine.

I might be biased because the front office of my favorite baseball used the "eye test" to make numerous foolish personnel moves that lead them to lose 195 games the last two years.

20 year old has been impressive. Just notice he's facing the Reds too. Cigrani kid a big prospect?

He's posted really good numbers in the minors so far. 26 Ks in 14.1 IP so far this year in AAA IIRC. I was reading in this year's Baseball Prospectus if he develops a third pitch he has a bright future as a starter.

I typically don't know a whole lot about the guys til they debut in the majors, though. I couldn't have told you who either of these guys were a few weeks ago for instance :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom