• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Regular Season 2013 |OT| - Natinals Already Won

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't believe it.
SIERA, Windu's favorite stat, doesn't like the Dodgers bullpen (26th in the majors). But they're 6th in FIP and 15th in WPA. Biggest issue is that aren't dominant despite hardly giving up any HRs so once that HR/FB rate normalizes, the results should look uglier. They also have like the 3rd highest walk rate amongst bullpens so I guess it's mostly the HR thing. But at least you guys play in a big park.

eznark

Banned
And I think it's time we swap Weeks and Betancourt in the order.
Ugh

Brewers have won 9 in a row. Not that anyone cares:

b603c6587fd940818bff31b990721cac.png

Cubs winning a game? Featured story! lol espn

Sephzilla

Ugh

Brewers have won 9 in a row. Not that anyone cares:

Cubs winning a game? Featured story! lol espn

Sports Illustrated is the same way. But I'm not overly surprised, if you're a Wisconsin team that doesn't come from Green Bay you'll never get acknowledged by the national sports media.

Granted, you're also on ESPN whom has terrible baseball coverage.

Sephzilla

I just noticed this. Good for them. Streaks are fun!

It's been mostly against scrub teams though (and the Giants). I don't expect this to last at all, and I expect them to go on a slide again. Here's the teams they play in their next series going into the end of May.

• Dodgers
  • Pirates
  • Cardinals
  • Rangers
  • Reds
  • Pirates
  • Cards
  • Dodgers
  • Pirates
They'll probably be a sub .500 team again by the end of May. Look on the bright side though, the Brewers have a 3 game sweep of the Astros in mid June.

Jays Winning Lineup for today:

Davis LF
Bonifacio 2B
Bautista RF
Encarnacion 1B
Cabrera DH
Arencibia C
Rasmus CF
Lawrie 3B
Izturis SS

Lind's wife is in labour.

I just noticed this. Good for them. Streaks are fun!

The sad thing is, after reeling off 9 in a row, they're only 11-8. Regression to the mean always looks fine from a distance, but in the here and now it would've been really nice to start 5-5 then reel off a streak.

Sephzilla

The sad thing is, after reeling off 9 in a row, they're only 11-8. Regression to the mean always looks fine from a distance, but in the here and now it would've been really nice to start 5-5 then reel off a streak.

Looking at things glass half full, the Brewers are eventually going to get healthier too. Corey Hart & Aramis Ramirez will eventually return from their DL stints. Plus, eventually some of their hitters still in the lineup are going to start hitting again (Rickie Weeks).

The big question is if Milwaukee's pitching can hold up.
It never does

eznark

Banned
Weeks is 30. Probably time to stop pretending he is going to be some breakout offensive power.

This is an aberration. This team is simply not good.

Sephzilla

Yeah, I think it's at the point where they need to trade Weeks while he still has some small worth and call up one of their guys from the minors. I'm only expecting Weeks to break out of his funk and become a competent hitter again, the days where he was built up as Chase Utley 2.0 are long gone.

Honestly, I think they're a team that's better than that 2-8 or whatever start showed. They're going to hover around being a .500 team most of the year, but I'm holding out hope that they might be able to sneak into one of the wild card spots. Heck they could fight for the division simply because the NL Central as a whole isn't that good. That hot run they had at the end of last year gave me some faint amount of hope. They could actually be a dangerous team if their pitching was at least somewhat consistent because their offense is still pretty good, losing Prince Fielder hurt them a lot less than I expected.

Weeks is 30. Probably time to stop pretending he is going to be some breakout offensive power.

I don't think they're 2-8 bad either. I think they're a solid .500 (give or take a few wins) team.

And I'm really worried about Rickie too. Should go get his brother.

Sephzilla

This is entirely just speculation and I have no real proof of it. But while I still don't entirely believe that Braun's a juicer, I think there's a few Brewers who are - specifically Weeks and Hart.

sangreal

This is entirely just speculation and I have no real proof of it. But while I still don't entirely believe that Braun's a juicer, I think there's a few Brewers who are - specifically Weeks and Hart.

You don't believe Braun is a juicer? really? Do you mean you don't believe he is currently juicing, or that he never did?

Sephzilla

You don't believe Braun is a juicer? really? Do you mean you don't believe he is currently juicing, or that he never did?

It's impossible to defend him, don't get me wrong. But I dunno, there's stuff with Braun that just doesn't entirely add up with me. For one, since he was a high school and college player he's always been a pretty decently built guy and he's never had odd growth spurts or anything odd. His growth has been pretty natural as far as I can see, and he's never had any ridiculous power explosions or anything like that like what A-Rod or other big name juicers had (Braun's pretty much always been a top tier player in whatever place he played). And he's remained a top tier player since that whole story got leaked (presumably when he'd now be off whatever juice he was on).

In my mind he's either not on the juice or has been a juicer since he was in his teens. It's entirely possible that he hopped up on something to bounce back from one of his minor injuries, but a lot of his injuries were almost too minor to justify it in my opinion. Like I said, defending Braun is pretty hard to do at this point but something just doesn't add up with it all in my mind - plus MLB's side of the whole Braun ordeal was just as sketchy as Braun's side of the story.

Rickie Weeks in my opinion looks like the prototypical juicer though. He's had to bounce back from a few pretty rough injuries and he's bulked up a ton since he came up from the minors. I wouldn't be surprised if Hart was on the juice for a similar reason, Hart seems to spend every first month of the season on the DL (it's like clockwork at this point) so I wouldn't be surprised if he was doing whatever he could to get back on the field.

eznark

Banned
I don't think they're 2-8 bad either. I think they're a solid .500 (give or take a few wins) team.

And I'm really worried about Rickie too. Should go get his brother.

I said 78 before the season and I'm sticking to it.

Can't trade Rickie because there is no one in the org worth a shit and he has no value.

Sephzilla

Can't trade Rickie because there is no one in the org worth a shit and he has no value.

Yep, that's the big hangup. There isn't really much waiting to replace Rickie since Doug Melvin overspent on a bunch of past trades and cleaned out the farm system.

Hell, I'm still pissed about the Francisco Cordero trade.

Yep, that's the big hangup. There isn't really much waiting to replace Rickie since Doug Melvin overspent on a bunch of past trades and cleaned out the farm system.

Hell, I'm still pissed about the Francisco Cordero trade.

I don't fault him for going for it when he had the chance. I just know that if I'm playing GM for the Brewers in OOTP or something, I blow it all up and start from scratch. Love a good rebuild.

Sephzilla

I don't fault him for going for it when he had the chance. I just know that if I'm playing GM for the Brewers in OOTP or something, I blow it all up and start from scratch. Love a good rebuild.

I don't fault him for doing it, it's just that when he does do it he clearly overspends for the talent he's getting back in return. The only trade Melvin's ever done that I thought was a 'balanced' trade was JJ Hardy for Carlos Gomez, but honestly I think I'd take Hardy over Gomez still.

eznark

Banned

I just started a season with this team and fuck me if I can figure out a way to improve it. There is nothing of legit value to move that doesn't set the team back years.

3N16MA

Banned
Pineda topped out in the low 90's in his first simulated game. May be able to start a 30 day minor league assignment in early May according to Joel Sherman. Earliest date for return is early June but that is the best case scenario.

At least he is making some progress.

Macattk15

So Brendan Ryan lost his starting job at SS for the Mariners according to some twitter feeds.

How the fuck does Eric Wedge have a job? Why can't I manage the Mariners? I think I honestly could do a better job than him constructing a line-up.

Ibanez starting again in the outfield.

Fuck off Wedge. You trashbag.

Malo

Banned
Pineda topped out in the low 90's in his first simulated game. May be able to start a 30 day minor league assignment in early May according to Joel Sherman. Earliest date for return is early June but that is the best case scenario.

At least he is making some progress.
Yep, just read it on RAB. Its encouraging news to say the least. Nova better start improving or his spot as the 5th starter might be coming to an end.

3N16MA

Banned
Yep, just read it on RAB. Its encouraging news to say the least. Nova better start improving or his spot as the 5th starter might be coming to an end.

Hughes has made me feel better about the back end of the roation with 2 straight solid starts. Nova on the other hand needs to stop throwing 90 pitches into the 5th inning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom