• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Regular Season 2013 |OT2| - Revenge of the Umpires

aFIGurANT

School me MLBGaf:

In baseball video games the lateral movement across your body (right to left for a righty) is considered a slider with the cutter being the opposite (left to right for a righty). How does mo's pitch qualify as a cutter if the movement is like a textbook slider across his body. Or is there a distinction in the type of movement between the two pitches that I'm missing?

School me MLBGaf:

In baseball video games the lateral movement across your body (right to left for a righty) is considered a slider with the cutter being the opposite (left to right for a righty). How does mo's pitch qualify as a cutter if the movement is like a textbook slider across his body. Or is there a distinction in the type of movement between the two pitches that I'm missing?

Cutter runs in on lefties and runs away from righties.

School me MLBGaf:

The late movement. I don't know, can't explain it.

School me MLBGaf:

A cutter doesn't break towards the pitcher's throwing side.. that's like a screwball or something. Most pitches don't break that way. A cutter is just closer to a fastball than a slider is, with later movement.

School me MLBGaf:

Cutters also move mainly on a horizontal plane. Sliders actually break vertically.

http://deadspin.com/all-star-game-i...source=deadspin_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

Well, he is a man of his word

edit:

ku-xlarge.gif

aFIGurANT

see my post. The run is unimportant, it's the break on the vertical plane.
Gotcha, I think that was the quickest I've gotten a grasp on something with the forum's help so thanks.

Slider equals earlier and more vertical break while a cutter moves horizontal, late, and is going to run away from a righty. Can a lefty throw a true cutter then?

Edit: I guess that a lefty's cutter would just run away from lefties, into righties. So nvm.

Gotcha, I think that was the quickest I've gotten a grasp on something with the forum's help so thanks.

Slider equals earlier and more vertical break while a cutter moves horizontal, late, and is going to run away from a righty. Can a lefty throw a true cutter then?

Yes, either your video games or your eyes are lying to you, a cutter moves toward the pitcher's glove side. Pettitte throws a cutter.

Top Bottom