• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Regular Season 2013 |OT2| - Revenge of the Umpires

Untitled_zps1d69a277.png

MLB's graphics guy needs to get his shit together. Is he going for the Face Off composite look or is he trying to create Facebook profile pics?
DARVISH + MASTERSON 4EVER

Syrinx

So...do the Mets actually have any interest in trading Bobby Parnell? The only time I've heard his name mentioned in terms of trade deadline deals was when Buster Olney namedropped him alongside Glen Perkins as really the only decent relievers available at the deadline should the Mets and Twins decide to make them available. I haven't heard any rumors or anything mentioning his name since.

So...do the Mets actually have any interest in trading Bobby Parnell? The only time I've heard his name mentioned in terms of trade deadline deals was when Buster Olney namedropped him alongside Glen Perkins as really the only decent relievers available at the deadline should the Mets and Twins decide to make them available. I haven't heard any rumors or anything mentioning his name since.
I think they said they wouldn't but if it brings in a legitimate OF I'm doin it. A few ppl match the Mets n Tigers as partners. Parnell for Castellanos.

Syrinx

I think they said they wouldn't but if it brings in a legitimate OF I'm doin it. A few ppl match the Mets n Tigers as partners. Parnell for Castellanos.

I'd do that deal in a heartbeat.

Maybe Sandy's playing this coy and is going to make other teams come calling for him instead of shopping him around. And if they don't get a good offer...oh well. They still have control of him for another year or two after this one.

Opiate

Kershaw is simply unfair.

For me, he's the only active starting pitcher I'm confident will be a hall of famer sans horrible injury.

Pitchers like Wainright or Felix Hernandez or Greinke or even youngsters like Harvey are people I feel are on the right track for a hall of fame career but could easily, unexpectedly lose a few MPH on their fastballs and fall in to mediocrity too soon. They are "if they keep this up for another few years..." type players. Lincecum fit that description, too, and he has indeed fallen in to mediocrity too fast. I don't mean his career is over, but he'd need at least a few more all star years mixed in before hall candidacy was strong.

Kershaw's fundamental statistics are so strong that even a dip in performance would still make him an all star.

For me, he's the only active starting pitcher I'm confident will be a hall of famer sans horrible injury.

Pitchers like Wainright or Felix Hernandez or Greinke or even youngsters like Harvey are people I feel are on the right track for a hall of fame career but could easily, unexpectedly lose a few MPH on their fastballs and fall in to mediocrity too soon. They are "if they keep this up for another few years..." type players. Lincecum fit that description, too, and he has indeed fallen in to mediocrity too fast. I don't mean his career is over, but he'd need at least a few more all star years mixed in before hall candidacy was strong.

Kershaw's fundamental statistics are so strong that even a dip in performance would still make him an all star.

You dont think Doc is going to get in the HoF?

Felix's fast ball velocity has been steadily declining and he's still pitching well.

Even if Harvey lost 4 MPH on his fastball he throws 3 other plus pitches: one of the best sliders in the game, a power curve, and a damn good change. It's not all about velocity as it is about stuff.

Even if Harvey lost 4 MPH on his fastball he throws 3 other plus pitches: one of the best sliders in the game, a power curve, and a damn good change. It's not all about velocity as it is about stuff.

Harvey's stuff is so insanely good that a loss of FB velocity wouldnt affect him at all. Short of injuries I cant see anything else that could stop him from being great.

Umm...Justin Verlander?

This piece on closers = ripe fruit is fantastic

Opiate

You dont think Doc is going to get in the HoF?

I do. Good point.

Felix's fast ball velocity has been steadily declining and he's still pitching well.

Yep, if he keeps it up great for him.

Umm...Justin Verlander?

Possibly. He's already declining substantially and he just hit 30. His career ERA Is nearly three quarters of a run higher than Kershaw's, and his xFIP is half a run higher.

There just aren't many pitchers in this day and age that are great sub-30 and can even claim to be very good post 30. Doc is one of those; Verlander doesn't appear to be. Lincecum isn't. We'll see if Cain returns to form. Felix could be. Wainright could be. I suspect Kershaw will be, which is my point.

IPossibly. He's already declining substantially and he just hit 30. His career ERA Is nearly three quarters of a run higher than Kershaw's, and his xFIP is half a run higher.

There just aren't many pitchers in this day and age that are great sub-30 and can even claim to be very good post 30. Doc is one of those; Verlander doesn't appear to be. Lincecum isn't. We'll see if Cain returns to form. Felix could be. Wainright could be. I suspect Kershaw will be, which is my point.
I just think it's silly to say Kershaw will absolutely age gracefully, barring injury. Players can fall off a cliff rather quickly (see Lincecum, Tim). Before this season, you could've said that Verlander is one of those rare pitchers who can be very good, even in his 30s.

And I think Verlander is HOF-worthy as long as his decline isn't drastic or steep. His ERA isn't pretty this year but his FIP- and xFIP- numbers are similar to 2009/2010 Kershaw's. Just because he's in decline, it doesn't necessarily mean he'll be a replacement level pitcher in 2-3 years. That contract is going to be hilarious if salary inflation doesn't continue though.

Top Bottom