• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Regular Season 2013 |OT2| - Revenge of the Umpires

jakncoke

Banned
Somebody needs to punch Hurdle in the throat.

Also, the Pirates are likely going to go on a slide. 4/5ths of the rotation we came into the season with are injured due to Burnett being placed on the DL :/ And it's not like we've been getting by on our offense.

Edit: Zagurski has to be the worst person to ever pitch in baseball.

Jesus

Branduil

On May 16th, the Rangers were 7 games up. Tonight, they are 2 games behind.

If we extrapolate this data, by the end of the season the Rangers will be 37 games out of first place.

rekameohs

Banned
c5Jepwg.jpg

troll-2-oh-my-gooood-o.gif

Opiate

Cardinals are currently first in the NL in all three categories by primary/standard stats. Cardinals pitching staff is 1st in ERA, batters are 1st in runs scored, fielders have the lowest error total. Cardinals are already sporting more than a +100 run differential.

It doesn't get much better than this. I suspect that there will be regression (if nothing else but RISP), and I still think our chances of making the world series are only marginally better than 1/8, as the odds of winning a 5 or 7 game series between two good teams can barely be distinguished from a coin flip.

Cardinals are currently first in the NL in all three categories by primary/standard stats. Cardinals pitching staff is 1st in ERA, batters are 1st in runs scored, fielders have the lowest error total. Cardinals are already sporting more than a +100 run differential.

It doesn't get much better than this. I suspect that there will be regression (if nothing else but RISP), and I still think our chances of making the world series are only marginally better than 1/8, as the odds of winning a 5 or 7 game series between two good teams can barely be distinguished from a coin flip.
From now till the All Star Break, we're going to have 3 games against the Rangers and 3 games against the A's. The remaining 21 games are against the likes of the Marlins, Cubs, Astros, and Angels. That easy schedule should soften any expected regression somewhat. Barring injury (I say that a lot, don't I?), we could be in better shape by the time the second "half" begins. Now if only the Reds or Pirates would go on a long cold streak...

Also, fielding errors are a horrible defensive metric but I'm sure you know that.

Does anyone know why CBS Sports created a fake heavyweight championship belt to give to the "champion" in baseball. To win it, you have to take a series against the champion. Cards have been champs for most of the season.

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/blog/e...s-fake-handshake-retain-eob-heavyweight-title

Cardinals are The Dark Lord confirmed

edit: http://deadspin.com/mets-approached-cougar-site-about-stuffing-ballot-box-f-512966052

Come on, cougars. Vote that sexy cub David Wright in

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
So Ryan Madson thinks injured players should be allowed to take HGH. What an idiot. I doubt that the FDA would even give baseball players an exemption from the rules against using it. I know that they only allow it in extreme cases as it is, and a sore shoulder does not qualify as an extreme case. MLB better test the fuck out of him if he ever comes back. http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/blog/e...peaks-out-in-favor-of-hgh-for-injured-players
players already take steroids for injuries. Cortisone Shots.

players already take steroids for injuries. Cortisone Shots.

Right and the FDA doesnt have any rules about using Cortisone, there are rules about HGH. Clearly he must at least think there would be some extra benefit to taking HGH or he would just take the Cortisone.

MiKeD

Banned

"The fourth-through-seventh hitters in the Yankees lineup went 0-for-28 in Thursday's 18-inning loss at Oakland: Mark Teixeira went 0-for-5 (he drew two walks and was hit by a pitch), Travis Hafner was 0-for-8, Kevin Youkilis 0-for-7 (with a walk) and Vernon Wells 0-for-8. Each of those players also struck out three times.

Here it is: It was the first time in modern major league history (reminder: in baseball, that means "since 1900"), in a game of any length, that four starters batting in consecutive lineup slots went hitless in a combined total of 28-or-more at-bats. It was also the first game in modern history in which a team had three different players each go hitless in at least seven at-bats, with each player striking out at least three times. Finally, it also marked the first game in Yankees history in which they had four different players who struck out at least three times."

"The fourth-through-seventh hitters in the Yankees lineup went 0-for-28 in Thursday's 18-inning loss at Oakland: Mark Teixeira went 0-for-5 (he drew two walks and was hit by a pitch), Travis Hafner was 0-for-8, Kevin Youkilis 0-for-7 (with a walk) and Vernon Wells 0-for-8. Each of those players also struck out three times.

Here it is: It was the first time in modern major league history (reminder: in baseball, that means "since 1900"), in a game of any length, that four starters batting in consecutive lineup slots went hitless in a combined total of 28-or-more at-bats. It was also the first game in modern history in which a team had three different players each go hitless in at least seven at-bats, with each player striking out at least three times. Finally, it also marked the first game in Yankees history in which they had four different players who struck out at least three times."
Atleast the Mets got hits in the 20 inning game!
fuck you Marlins :(

Link

The Autumn Wind
Apparently, this was the first time in 40 years we had three 18+ inning games in a month.

Poor Harvey man, poor Harvey.
I don't even want to talk about it. I imagine he's destroyed several stress balls by now.

MiKeD

Banned
Ok, so this is something my buddies really hate when I say this: To me, 2-1 is an even count.
I don't care that everybody says 2-2 is one, I literally have programmed myself that whenever I see 2-1, the next pitch is going to put someone in front.

I can't be the only one that has this, can I?

rando14

Ok, so this is something my buddies really hate when I say this: To me, 2-1 is an even count.
I don't care that everybody says 2-2 is one, I literally have programmed myself that whenever I see 2-1, the next pitch is going to put someone in front.

I think you are right and your friend is wrong, 2-1 is in favor of the hitter.

MiKeD

Banned
I think you are right and your friend is wrong, 2-1 is in favor of the hitter.

I'm actually more talking in the sense that you always hear announcers say 2-2 is an even count. Which I feel is wrong, since at 2-1 you're 2 strikes away from getting the batter out and 2 balls away from drawing a walk. I know it doesn't make much sense in convential 'count-talk', but still, a 3-1 count becomes a hitter's count and 2-2 a pitcher's count.

I agree with you 100% I hate when the announcers say that 2-2 is even. 2-2 definitely favors the pitcher.

rando14

I'm actually more talking in the sense that you always hear announcers say 2-2 is an even count. Which I feel is wrong, since at 2-1 you're 2 strikes away from getting the batter out and 2 balls away from drawing a walk. I know it doesn't make much sense in convential 'count-talk', but still, a 3-1 count becomes a hitter's count and 2-2 a pitcher's count.

Oh yes I think you're right here also, 2-2 certainly favors the pitcher. It's only "even" at an artificial level

Link

The Autumn Wind
I think you guys are overthinking it. The count is "even" in the sense that both numbers are the same.

Top Bottom