• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA |OT2| - Thread of Athletes, Fighters, Personalities, and Sports Entertainment

dream said:
Is Clay The Carpenter Guida vs Ben Henderson going to be streamed on Facebook?
If you were talking about Ben Smooth Henderson then yes, streamed on Facebook. It'll also be live on Fox Deportes if you get that though. Doesn't matter to me cuz I'll be in the arena lol

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
One thing Rogan was right about. I seriously don't know the point of stopping the fight for a doctor check if you're just going to leave it up to the fighter anyway. That was just giving Leben a breather and I've seen it fucked up similarly before.

dream said:
Has anyone ever explained why Fox is only giving them an hour for the first show?
Because this isn't even the beginning of their proper Fox deal. That doesn't start until January. This is almost a bonus / work-out-the-kinks kind of event.

Jake.

if wanderlei loses against cung, which he most likely will, it will be a fucking embarrassment. i hope after losing at 139 in addition to seeing crocop give it up, that he follows suite - even though he should have done it about three years ago.

edit: if by some miracle he does win, he still needs to hang it up. it bums me out that all these pride dude's just won't admit that they are (sadly) past it and therefore don't know when to stop.

yacobod

Banned
Conduit never earned a title shot, he got his shot by way of circumstance, let him beat kos if he wants a crack at the strap. Nick had to beat mma legend bj penn for his shot. Better than sitting on the sidelines inactive than rashad.

Jake. said:
if wanderlei loses against cung, which he most likely will, it will be a fucking embarrassment. i hope after losing at 139 in addition to seeing crocop give it up, that he follows suite - even though he should have done it about three years ago.

edit: if by some miracle he does win, he still needs to hang it up. it bums me out that all these pride dude's just won't admit that they are (sadly) past it and therefore don't know when to stop.
Yeah you're right, Shogun and Hendo really do need to call it quits. Anderson Silva too.

Heel

MMAJunkie: Nate Marquardt vs. Yoshiyuki Yoshida slated for BAMMA 9 in February

Bloody Elbow: Eddie Alvarez vs. Shinya Aoki Rematch Booked For February, Sort Of

442285795pxun5.gif

...and for anyone looking to wash away their memory of Pro Elite last night:

SUNDAY FIGHT SCHEDULE

Ultimate Challenge MMA: Dominican Republic

Main card starts at 11:00 AM PT / 2:00 PM ET on YouTube.com

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
I think Aoki should go ahead and fight whoever wins the Chandler/Alvarez fight. They should also put the title on the line and not have another champion lose in a non-title fight.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
BigKaboom2 said:
Condit vs. Koscheck is just going to boil down to whether Kos goes for the takedown at all (he should and thus won't).
Yeah, I think Kos could easily beat Conduit but he's one of those wrestlers that's prone to forgetting his base and trying to land KO blows instead.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Nice to see that Leben honed his quitting on the stool skills from his time training with BJ in hawaii.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Chamber said:
Yeah, I think Kos could easily beat Conduit but he's one of those wrestlers that's prone to forgetting his base and trying to land KO blows instead.
I hope so. But the Thiago fight it's not like Thiago was known for any stand-up ability whatsoever unlike Conduit. The Daley fight is probably the more appropriate template from the Kos side.

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
Was last night's UFC the final appearance of the Gladiator? If so, he went out with a damn entertaining card.

Jake.

polyh3dron said:
Yeah you're right, Shogun and Hendo really do need to call it quits. Anderson Silva too.

i generalised slightly, but you still know what i meant - no need to be a smartass. shogun, silva, and hendo remain largely in their prime, or they have at least not been getting worse. on the other hand, crocop and wanderlei - in addition to a bunch of other pride dudes who are still fighting but are not in the UFC (saku, caol etc) - have been on a downhill trajectory that started a long, long time ago. whether that is because of age, injuries, motivation or whatever is irrelevant - they simply cannot realistically compete at the level in which they once used to. saku goes out and just gets annihilated fight after fight - his body is a mess. wanderlei has a glassjaw etc etc. its beyond depressing, and as mentioned, i wish they would just admit that they are done and go out somewhat gracefully (although i'm sure bj will be back, his 'retirement' speech is a good example of this).

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Eggo said:
Was last night's UFC the final appearance of the Gladiator? If so, he went out with a damn entertaining card.
I think UFC 141 will be the final appearance of our beloved Gladiator.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
mujun said:
Random question. What's the consensus on Aoki?

A few here will say he's a can because he lost to Gil. I think he could be decent if he trained for fights over here and not be so one dimensional. I think he'll win against Alvarez.

tass0

Banned
mujun said:

Def. a Top 10 LW.

Amazing grappler, but one-dimensional. He's training at Evolve MMA now, and improving his Muay Thai, so that's good.

Good wins over Hansen x2, Eddie Alvarez, Tatsuya Kawajiri, and JZ.

Loses to any good wrestler.

Jake.

he is my favourite jp fighter by a mile, but as mentioned he can be one-dimensional - although this is improving. despite him being a gaping pussy, he is a gaping pussy that i love (nh).

edit: forgot i made this fb page about him a year or so ago, you should go and 'like' it.

https://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/pages/Shinya-Aokis-Pants/169217129776029

Heel

It's hard to gauge Aoki as a top 10 lightweight when:

A) His biggest wins have never made a huge impact in the UFC.
B) His biggest wins have never beaten anyone who have had a huge impact in the UFC.
C) He has some dramatic losses against fighters who have never made a huge impact in the UFC.

There's probably a few exceptions, but even then the MMA math is extremely weak. I see a lot of guys ranked #10-30 that I'd pick to beat him. He's in there somewhere in my opinion.

That said I still enjoy watching him fight. MMA needs more throwback, "specialized" fighters like Aoki.

mujun

Jake. said:
he is my favourite jp fighter by a mile, but as mentioned he can be one-dimensional - although this is improving. despite him being a gaping pussy, he is a gaping pussy that i love (nh).

edit: forgot i made this fb page about him a year or so ago, you should go and 'like' it.

https://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/pages/Shinya-Aokis-Pants/169217129776029

Thanks for the responses guys!

I am the opposite to you Jake.. Dislike the guy intensely. My mate who up until recently was the only person I could talk to about MMA feels the same way. Recently I've had lots of chances to talk to some Japanese people who know their stuff when it comes to MMA and I was surprised (pleasantly I'll add) that they seem to dislike him as much as I do. They also went on to say that those in the know pretty much don't like him.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Chamber said:
I'll put Aoki in the top 10, especially in a world where Clay freakin' Guida is borderline top 5.

Don't worry, Benson will make sure he is never a co-main event again.

mujun said:

I am the opposite to you Jake.. Dislike the guy intensely. My mate who up until recently was the only person I could talk to about MMA feels the same way. Recently I've had lots of chances to talk to some Japanese people who know their stuff when it comes to MMA and I was surprised (pleasantly I'll add) that they seem to dislike him as much as I do. They also went on to say that those in the know pretty much don't like him.

So what's your reasoning for disliking him? Do you not like his style? I don't know too many Japanese fighters so I'd be open to hearing some names to check out.

Jake.

mujun said:

that isn't surprising, aoki for a long time was very unpopular with domestic japanese fans - especially the older ones.

Heel

sazabirules said:
I don't know too many Japanese fighters so I'd be open to hearing some names to check out.

Current fighters? Hiroyuki Takaya, Tatsuya Kawajiri, Kazuyuki Miyata, Masakatsu Ueda, Masakazu Imanari and Minowaman is a good list to start from.

Jake.

although not at a top-tier level yet, i'd also check out wicky's (akiyo nishiura) fights - i find him really entertaining. maybe lion takeshi too, who i didn't like much of at first but has impressed me more and more.

mujun

sazabirules said:
So what's your reasoning for disliking him? Do you not like his style? I don't know too many Japanese fighters so I'd be open to hearing some names to check out.

As others have mentioned he's one dimensional and seemingly proud of it.

He's both arrogant and a cry baby (weird and irritating combo).

He seems to get help from refs and goes down softer (and with worse acting) than your average pro soccer player.

Don't like the pants he wears either. Rules shouldn't allow them imo.

I will admit he's one of the best jitsu guys I've ever seen though.

I must say that I don't have many Japanese guys I can recommend. I do like Gomi, Kawajiri, Sakurai and Uno though.

dream

I do not believe Shinya Aoki-san is a good fighter.

That said, I love the shit out of him for

a) understanding MMA and pro wrestling are the same thing
b) turning a K-1 mixed rules fight into a complete spectacle by throwing dropkicks and shit in order to survive the kickboxing-only round then getting KTFO'd once the rules switched to allow grappling.

Fifty

I'd give Aoki respect far before I'd give Minowa(man?) props. Aoki can excel at one form of MMA. Minowa can fight cans for the Yakuza's amusement.

I really want Aoki to win his fights. But that CBS fight against Melendez still leaves me a little sick inside.

Heel

dream said:
b) turning a K-1 mixed rules fight into a complete spectacle by throwing dropkicks and shit in order to survive the kickboxing-only round then getting KTFO'd once the rules switched to allow grappling.

Speaking of, Nagashima was at UFC 137 talking to Dana. You can watch it here. I really doubt Dana knew who he actually was though, haha.

Fifty said:
I'd give Aoki respect far before I'd give Minowa(man?) props. Aoki can excel at one form of MMA. Minowa can fight cans for the Yakuza's amusement.

Haha, absolutely. He's well past his prime. I enjoy the spectacle of it all, though.

Jake.

sazabirules said:
Why is Aoki flicking everyone off after putting Hirota in the hammerlock?

hirota, in addition to most japanese fans, talked shit about him and how he was a pussy cop who wouldn't stand a chance. the win was a big 'fuck you' to everyone who doubted him - he took the 'fuck you' a level further by breaking hirota's arm.

dream

Plus it was this DREAM vs Sengoku thing where all parties involved deluded themselves into thinking they were fighting to represent something of value.

Jake.

flipping off. never heard of 'flicking off' in that context - flicking off reminds me of a girl diddling her twat ('flicking the bean').

Jake. said:
flipping off. never heard of 'flicking off' in that context - flicking off reminds me of a girl diddling her twat ('flicking the bean').

I remember in school kids used to say "flicking off" and it used to bug me.

also:

flicking off reminds me of a girl diddling her twat ('flicking the bean').
2igf96h.gif

mujun said:
I enjoy watching his fights, his grappling skill is unmatched. Watching him maneuver and pull off a submission is every bit as entertaining to me as watching a great striker do his thing. I think the Melendez loss was a loss to one of the best lightweights out there and he gets a bit too much shit for it. Let's not forget that he tapped out Eddie Alvarez.

Also, it's "flipping off".

Aoki flipped off Hirota because it was somewhat of a grudge match for him since Hirota was coming off of beating his good friend Satoru Kitaoka. Aoki was also pissed that they made him fight Hirota due to the DREAM vs. Sengoku theme of the NYE event. Aoki was expecting to fight Kawajiri, a top lightweight at the time and instead had to fight someone he considered to be a scrub.

sien916 said:
Speaking of, Nagashima was at UFC 137 talking to Dana. You can watch it here. I really doubt Dana knew who he actually was though, haha.

Haha, absolutely. He's well past his prime. I enjoy the spectacle of it all, though.
Yeah I was sitting a few rows behind some dude in a royal blue cross dressing sailor costume at 137, I wasn't sure if it was someone in a Jienotsu costume or if it was actually him.

Top Bottom