• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA |OT2| - Thread of Athletes, Fighters, Personalities, and Sports Entertainment

mujun said:
Random question. What's the consensus on Aoki?
I dislike him but honestly a lot of that might come from the fact that everybody he fights gets yellow carded and he always gets special treatment (ie when he fought Razor Rob the round ended it but Aoki was close to sinking a choke so they let the time keep running until he finally got it). Also I just don't think he's an exciting fighter and I assume the majority of the people in the UFC at his weight could beat him. Sure he has ubelievable bjj but he has zero stand up, questionable cardio, and shoddy takedowns that only work in the Japan can circuit. I personally like Aoki's training partner Imanari a lot more. That guy is crazy and has a ton of heart.

Aoki's shitty takedown worked on Kawajiri who is the last guy Gilbert Melendez fought. Kawajiri dominated the shit out of Josh Thomson at last year's Dynamite and isn't exactly a can. And again, Eddie Alvarez.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
polyh3dron said:
Aoki's shitty takedown worked on Kawajiri who is the last guy Gilbert Melendez fought. Kawajiri dominated the shit out of Josh Thomson at last year's Dynamite and isn't exactly a can. And again, Eddie Alvarez.

Besides Aoki, who has Melendez fought recently against that is decent?

yacobod

Banned
sazabirules said:
He could become another Cesar Gracie failure in the UFC. We don't know if Melendez can fight the best either.

while i don't give a lot of credit for beating japanese cans like crusher and aoki, i think gil has what it takes to be very successful in the ufc. but we will see.

and nick diaz is the next champ at 170#.

Heel

I think Aoki, Gil, and Eddie are all similar in that for the most part they're ranked on skillset and not quality of opponent. The difference in my opinion is that Gil and Eddie have a skillset conducive to hitting the ground running in the upper echelon of the UFC, where as Aoki would struggle.

Then again, if Eddie can't replicate Gil's sprawl and brawl strategy for his rematch against Aoki, maybe he doesn't belong either.

TheNatural

My Member!
sazabirules said:
So the answer is nobody.

He could become another Cesar Gracie failure in the UFC. We don't know if Melendez can fight the best either.

ibpkPy.gif

dream

heel916 sums it up perfectly. Gil may be a bit of a cancrusher but he is just about good enough of a wrestler to do -- at least -- okayish in the ultimate.

MjFrancis

Wife wanted to watch some MMA last night so I loaded up WEC 53 for us. That really was one of, if not the best card of 2010, even if there was only one submission and three decisions on the four-fight card. Even without the famous matrix kick from Pettis it would have been a good night. The lighter weight classes have some real spunk and fire to them. Great to watch.

12_medium.gif

yacobod said:
maybe when nick diaz defends his 170# strap for the first time in vegas in 2012 we can have a mma-gaf get together.
So you're saying you never want to meet up? Because he isn't beating GSP. He doesn't have the power, has no tdd, not strong enough off his back, lacks wrestling, and I honestly don't think he has good enough BJJ to over come GSP's defensive BJJ. Once GSP starts dropping elbows Diaz is going to swell up worse than he did in the BJ fight.

yacobod

Banned
CaptYamato said:
So you're saying you never want to meet up? Because he isn't beating GSP. He doesn't have the power, has no tdd, not strong enough off his back, lacks wrestling, and I honestly don't think he has good enough BJJ to over come GSP's defensive BJJ. Once GSP starts dropping elbows Diaz is going to swell up worse than he did in the BJ fight.

don't be scared homie.

Takuan

CaptYamato said:
My guess is Nate loses due to doctor stoppage, throws a fit over it, and then does something stupid to get kicked out of the UFC.

dream

Nick beating Georges' ass in the ER would be the greatest thing in the history of this form of sports entertainment.

yacobod

Banned
nick's a fun fight because he's dangerous off his back and standing up. most of gsp's opponents have been one dimensional for the most part besides lightweight mma legend BJ Penn.

Jake Shields - Good wrestling, top control BJJ, and K1 level striking.
Fitch - Good wrestling, piss poor striking
Thiago Alves - Good Striking
Kos - Good wrestling, shit striking.
Hardy - Boxing with shit wrestling and bjj.

Nick can attack from all phases so it should at least be an entertaining fight. I don't see how the fight can be boring at least.

DKehoe

dream said:
Nick beating Georges' ass in the ER would be the greatest thing in the history of this form of sports entertainment.
Welterweight title is now contested under 24/7 Hardcore rules.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
MjFrancis said:
Wife wanted to watch some MMA last night so I loaded up WEC 53 for us. That really was one of, if not the best card of 2010, even if there was only one submission and three decisions on the four-fight card. Even without the famous matrix kick from Pettis it would have been a good night. The lighter weight classes have some real spunk and fire to them. Great to watch.

http://cdn3.sbnation.com/imported_assets/614072/12_medium.gif
Except Pettis only cares about laying on people to win now. All thanks to Guida.

MjFrancis

Plywood said:
Except Pettis only cares about laying on people to win now. All thanks to Guida.
That's how you go from being in 2010's Fight of the Year to being a snoozefest no one cares about. From being a noted fighter to a boring points man.

Takuan

yacobod said:
nick's a fun fight because he's dangerous off his back and standing up. most of gsp's opponents have been one dimensional for the most part besides lightweight mma legend BJ Penn.

Jake Shields - Good wrestling, top control BJJ, and K1 level striking.
Fitch - Good wrestling, piss poor striking
Thiago Alves - Good Striking
Kos - Good wrestling, shit striking.
Hardy - Boxing with shit wrestling and bjj.

Nick can attack from all phases so it should at least be an entertaining fight. I don't see how the fight can be boring at least.
Depends on who you ask. A lot of people might consider Georges laying on Nick for all 5 rounds pretty boring, even if he's making him eat elbows and knees to the body. However, I have a feeling GSP is going to stand with him, because he's a competitor and wants to beat Diaz where he's strongest - and then take him down and pound on him. I just hope he's training to do more than throw wildly predictable overhand rights (which is what the Shields fight devolved into) because Diaz is capable of timing a counter.

It's going to be really funny seeing Diaz egg GSP on in the ring before one too many clean superman punches force him to stop.

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
yacobod said:
Have you seen GSP fight in the past 3 years? If It were up to Nick, the fight will be entertaining, but the Greg Jackson gameplan will be to play it safe and blanket him for 25 mins so Diaz becomes frustrated and makes a mistake.

Nick has got to have the most proven bottom game out of anyone GSP has fought. But then GSP oozes grease
and is very skilled in avoiding submissions
. I always look forward to seeing Nick fight though. The press alone will be very entertaining.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Always a pleasure to see GSP's latest opponent get hyped up by his detractors. This must be how I sounded when I was hyping Okami against Anderson.

Takuan

CaptYamato said:
Diaz won't be able to egg on GSP because he is going to be eating elbows until the doctor stops the fight.
He'll probably get to mock GSP a few times before wising up. It's his thing, and it'll get the crowd going. I'm hoping GSP will beat Diaz's ass standing up before schooling him some more on the ground. I hope he doesn't push him up against the fence to tire out his shoulders or something.

yacobod

Banned
Takuan said:
However, I have a feeling GSP is going to stand with him, because he's a competitor and wants to beat Diaz where he's strongest

LOL
LOL
LOL

are we talking about the same guy who stood with dan hardy for 30 seconds in their 25 minute fight? the same fight who was afraid to take down K-1 level striker jake shields?

Takuan

CaptYamato said:
One day Diaz is going to mock someone and they are going to Anderson up-kick him to hell. Hopefully GSP does it.
I'd actually like to see him add more kicks to his arsenal. I remember when he put Matt Hughes on his ass using a really nifty sweep when he beat him. I don't think Georges needs to worry about Diaz's takedowns, so he can practice imitating "right kick hospital, left kick cemetary" and see how many he can eat before hitting the canvas.

yacobod said:
are we talking about the same guy who stood with dan hardy for 30 seconds in their 25 minute fight? the same fight who was afraid to take down K-1 level striker jake shields?
I know, I know. I'm buying into the idea that Diaz actually has Georges incensed and motivated to beat ass. I realize it could be 5 rounds of wrestlefucking, but I choose to remain optimistic.

Takuan said:
I'd actually like to see him add more kicks to his arsenal. I remember when he put Matt Hughes on his ass using a really nifty sweep when he beat him. I don't think Georges needs to worry about Diaz's takedowns, so he can practice imitating "right kick hospital, left kick cemetary" and see how many he can eat before hitting the canvas.

I know, I know. I'm buying into the idea that Diaz actually has Georges incensed and motivated to beat ass. I realize it could be 5 rounds of wrestlefucking.
Funny you mention that, I was just watching this video last night: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3N5Rnx37O0

Heel

yacobod said:
LOL
LOL
LOL

ibpkPy.gif

I knew as soon as I read that line you'd have something to say about it. Hilarious.

GSP is a master of all trades. If his opponent has a weakness he's going to exploit it. I'm expecting Nick to do his "watch the birdie" bullshit at some point and get power double-legged for his efforts.

yacobod

Banned
DKehoe said:
Nick was protected in Strikeforce, more specifically he was protected from wrestlers.

He was facing superior fighters like former UFC Champ Frank Shamrock, Mirko Crocop redux Marius Zaromskis, pro boxer KJ Noons, japanese mma legend Mach Sakurai,
Paul Daley, and LHW Cyborg Santos.

Heel

Takuan said:
I'd actually like to see him add more kicks to his arsenal. I remember when he put Matt Hughes on his ass using a really nifty sweep when he beat him. I don't think Georges needs to worry about Diaz's takedowns, so he can practice imitating "right kick hospital, left kick cemetary" and see how many he can eat before hitting the canvas

I'm betting GSP takes some pages from Cyborg's playbook and blasts Nick with leg kicks while it's standing. I doubt he's worried about Nick's offensive wrestling so he's going to tee off.

yacobod

Banned
Nuts that JDS/Cain is happening this week, and there has been 0 hype for the fight on GAF, or relatively 0 hype.

I'm gonna say Cain by decision or 4th or 5th round stoppage. I don't think JDS has the cardio to go 2 or 3 hard rounds with Cain. JDS hasn't really been pushed in a fight in the UFC, but he has shown signs of gassing or slowing down in his fight with Big Country and Carwin. I think Cain retains.

and i'm absolutely picking guida to outwrestle bendo.

Heel

-Anyone making an argument that Chael doesn't deserve a rematch is an Anderson apologist.

-If the fight doesn't happen Anderson's legacy is tarnished.

-If he was really injured he should want to prove his detractors wrong and destroy the biggest question mark on his UFC resume.

In before TheNatural. :)

I have JDS via 2nd round TKO.

Cain will have problems keeping JDS on the ground and the frustration will set in for the 2nd round where Cain finally decides "aww fuck it, time to use my K-1 level striking" and he'll get blasted.

I also have Ben Henderson by decision. Clay won't be able to hypnotize Ben with his long-haired instant stamina-depleting caveman dance because Ben has even longer hair. Also Clay will have trouble taking Ben down to do his now infamous and inexplicably crowd-inspiring lay-n-pray.

yacobod

Banned
Trying to tarnish Anderson's UFC legacy is a fool's errand friend, they will be about as successful as trying to diminish Fedor's Pride run.

I will be disappointed if he duck's Chael though. Sonnen/Silva II is one of my most anticipated fights, and I think Chael has a fair chance to win the rematch. Sonnen can potentially take the sport to new levels of sports entertainment.

Heel

The #1 heavyweight of all time will take the #2 heavyweight of all time into deep water and break his will. Wrestling is the base of the MMA pyramid.

yacobod said:
Trying to tarnish Anderson's UFC legacy is a fool's errand friend, they will be about as successful as trying to diminish Fedor's Pride run.
I'm not your friend, buddy!

Anderson is trying his hardest to do it on his own by attempting to duck this fight. He won't be able to however I don't think. If Dana says "you fight this guy", you gotta fight him.

Watch what happens if Andy takes a fight with Bisping, Mayhem or Munoz. The MMA fanbase will turn on him yet again.
sien916 said:
-Anyone making an argument that Chael doesn't deserve a rematch is an Anderson nuthugger.
Fixed that for you because it's one of the few times where this shitty Sherdog slang term is perfectly fitting.

Takuan

sien916 said:
-Anyone making an argument that Chael doesn't deserve a rematch is an Anderson apologist.

-If the fight doesn't happen Anderson's legacy is tarnished.

-If he was really injured he should want to prove his detractors wrong and destroy the biggest question mark on his UFC resume.

In before TheNatural. :)
I agree. I want to see Chael put to sleep, and Anderson has every reason to want to show us that Chael got lucky, not the other way around.

Top Bottom