• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA |OT2| - Thread of Athletes, Fighters, Personalities, and Sports Entertainment

agrajag

Banned
sien916 said:
-Anyone making an argument that Chael doesn't deserve a rematch is an Anderson apologist.

-If the fight doesn't happen Anderson's legacy is tarnished.

-If he was really injured he should want to prove his detractors wrong and destroy the biggest question mark on his UFC resume.

In before TheNatural. :)

Nope. He is one fight removed from his loss. He needs to build his record back up before he deserves a rematch. He was FINISHED. It wasn't a draw or a controversial decision that warrants an immediate rematch.

DKehoe

agrajag said:
Nope. He is one fight removed from his loss. He needs to build his record back up before he deserves a rematch. He was FINISHED. It wasn't a draw or a controversial decision that warrants an immediate rematch.
Who would you rather get the next title shot?

agrajag said:
Lesnar was supposed to be fighting JDS in a #1 contender fight before he fell ill and Cain fucking destroyed him one fight prior.

No other fight at 185 makes a lick of sense for Anderson.

tass0

Banned
MjFrancis said:
That's how you go from being in 2010's Fight of the Year to being a snoozefest no one cares about. From being a noted fighter to a boring points man.

That's because he joined the UFC.

To defeat the disease that is wrestling, you must become a wrestler yourself.

Boogie

For GSP/Diaz, please refer to Macdonald/Diaz.

Oh, Nick will be taunting GSP to start off the fight, no question. But after getting tossed around like a ragdoll for a couple of rounds, his attempts at mockery will have ended.

agrajag

Banned
polyh3dron said:
Lesnar was supposed to be fighting JDS in a #1 contender fight before he fell ill and Cain fucking destroyed him one fight prior.

What does that fight have to do with anything, I'm not the UFC matchmaker! I'd sooner give the shot to Mark Munoz who's on a 4 fight winning streak and Bisping if he gets past Mayhem. You know, guys that Anderson hasn't fought and beat recently.

Boogie

My position regarding Mark Munoz is that no one who gets KO'd by a Matt Hammill head kick deserves to fight Anderson Silva.

Heel

agrajag said:
I'd sooner give the shot to Mark Munoz who's on a 4 fight winning streak and Bisping if he gets past Mayhem. You know, guys that Anderson hasn't fought and beat recently.
cmon60eff.gif

let's be honest, Anderson is probably going to run through anyone with ease (even Chael) but at least a rematch with Chael, especially if it's in Brazil, will make for a more entertaining event. Munoz or Bitchping? Give me a break.

agrajag

Banned
Ninja Scooter said:
let's be honest, Anderson is probably going to run through anyone with ease (even Chael) but at least a rematch with Chael, especially if it's in Brazil, will make for a more entertaining event. Munoz or Bitchping? Give me a break.

Sorry, I'm trying to look at it as a legitimate sport, not for fabricated Chael Sonnen drama.

That's a compelling argument... Care to elaborate?

agrajag said:
Sorry, I'm trying to look at it as a legitimate sport, not for fabricated Chael Sonnen drama.

and somehow Bisping is "legitimately" more deserving than Sonnen? The same Sonnen who dominated Anderson for 4 1/2 rounds the last time they met?

Heel

agrajag said:

Do you think Bisping or Munoz has a better chance at beating Anderson than Chael? We want to see the best fights possible.

Bisping got Hendo'd and lost to 2010's Wanderlei Silva, Munoz lost to Okami less than a year ago.

agrajag said:

That's a compelling argument... Care to elaborate?
Bisping only gets shots because he is British nothing more, Chael deserves it way more.

agrajag

Banned
Ninja Scooter said:
and somehow Bisping is "legitimately" more deserving than Sonnen? The same Sonnen who dominated Anderson for 4 1/2 rounds the last time they met?

It doesn't matter if the juiced-up pig "dominated" an injured Anderson for 4 1/2 rounds, he got FINISHED. He tapped. End of story. Bisping is on a three fight win streak. He's climbed up the ranks, paid his dues, that's how match making is supposed to work in a sport.

sien916 said:
Do you think Bisping or Munoz has a better chance at beating Anderson than Chael? We want to see the best fights possible.

Bisping got Hendo'd, Munoz lost to Okami less than a year ago.

I want to see Anderson fight people he hasn't already fought and beat. Chael can come back and have his shot when he has a couple more wins under his belt.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone who loses to the ghost of Wanderlei Silva has no place in the ring beside Anderson Silva.

This thread just identified one of those nuthuggers poly was talking about.

agrajag said:
It doesn't matter if the juiced-up pig "dominated" an injured Anderson for 4 1/2 rounds, he got FINISHED. He tapped. End of story. Bisping is on a three fight win streak. He's climbed up the ranks, paid his dues, that's how match making is supposed to work in a sport.

I want to see Anderson fight people he hasn't already fought and beat. Chael can come back and have his shot when he has a couple more wins under his belt.

UFC is going to choose a match up that makes the most money and the fight everyone but you wants to see.

Boogie said:
For GSP/Diaz, please refer to Macdonald/Diaz.

Oh, Nick will be taunting GSP to start off the fight, no question. But after getting tossed around like a ragdoll for a couple of rounds, his attempts at mockery will have ended.
I would love to see Nate get suplex'd into 155

agrajag

Banned
Because he deserves the shot by accumulating a winning streak. He's supposed to fight Mayhem anyway, and there's a good chance he will lose. I mentioned Munoz' name first, why are you all focusing on Bisping?

agrajag said:
Because he deserves the shot by accumulating a winning streak. He's supposed to fight Mayhem anyway, and there's a good chance he will lose. I mentioned Munoz' name first, why are you all focusing on Bisping?

Sonnen's domination of Stann + near win over Silva>>>>anything either of them have done in the last 2 years.

Heel

agrajag said:

I'd agree if you wanted to see him fight GSP or Jones, but Munoz and Bisping are inferior match ups compared to Chael. I'm sure the vast majority of MMA fans would agree (maybe not Anderson Silva fans, haha).

agrajag

Banned
I agree that Sonnen is a better fighter, but he's 1-1 in his last two fights. He's had his chance and he blew it. Let other people have their shot.

Heel

There's no point in arguing really. The UFC has made their decision and want Anderson to fight Chael. It's their decision to make, not Anderson's. They can't make him fight against his will, but you know what I mean. This isn't boxing.

Norml

polyh3dron said:

Lesnar was the champ, so has more reason.

If Silva has a say in it,Sonnen doesn't deserve a shot with all his trolling and losing while cheating.

Boogie

Once upon a time, Randy Couture lost his UFC light-heavyweight title to Chuck Liddell.

He then earned another shot at Liddell by beating Mike Van Arsdale.

Setting up Silva/Sonnen II is not even in the top 10 most "undeserved" title shots in UFC history.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Speaking of Chael, some choice quotes:

http://www.fighters.com/11/07/chael...son-silva-of-disrespecting-brazilian-heritage
“Shocked,” Sonnen replied in an interview with FightHype when asked how he reacted to “The Spider” apparently opting to pass on a rematch in early 2012. “He comes from a fighting culture. I was blown away that he would insult his entire heritage like that. Behind the scenes I knew he was a coward, but in a million years I never thought he would show it publicly.”
“I’m the biggest draw in the industry today,” Sonnen stated. “I sell more tickets, more PPVs, and more merchandise than any fighter in history. Comparing GSP to me is like comparing Kimbo (Slice) to (Muhammad) Ali.”

Chamber

love on your sleeve
185 is so mediocre that Chael actually makes the most sense, even outside of his promo ability. When you're talking about Bisping as a title contender, you know the well is running dry.

agrajag

Banned
Boogie said:
Once upon a time, Randy Couture lost his UFC light-heavyweight title to Chuck Liddell.

He then earned another shot at Liddell by beating Mike Van Arsdale.

Setting up Silva/Sonnen II is not even in the top 10 most "undeserved" title shots in UFC history.

I'm thinking of a saying here, something about two wrongs not making a right..

I would've hoped that UFC has evolved a little bit since the days of Lidell being the champion.

Heel

Shame on the UFC for giving the fans a fight they want, based on the ability of the fighters and not pointless streaks. The best fighting the best is what makes the UFC great.

I would love to see Andy fight any of those guys. But the only one I'd give anything but a fluke puncher's chance to would be Chael. Andy would destroy Bisping and Munoz, and I'm a fan of Munoz.

agrajag

Banned
sien916 said:
Shame on the UFC for giving the fans a fight they want, based on the ability of the fighters and not pointless streaks. The best fighting the best is what makes the UFC great.

Pointless streaks? That's the only objective, factual criterion. Everything else is opinions.

BTW, lol at all you acting like dominating Stann is some huge accomplishment. Who is Stann?

Heel

Chamber said:
He is an NCAA wrestling champion. Munoz should be well capable of wrestlefucking Anderson in training.

Not to mention he was 1 for 15 on takedowns against Okami. You know, the guy Chael ragdolled.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
agrajag said:
Pointless streaks? That's the only objective, factual criterion. Everything else is opinions.

BTW, lol at all you acting like dominating Stann is some huge accomplishment. Who is Stann?
Asking who is Stann just goes back to point about 185 being thoroughly mediocre.

dream

-Georges St. Pierre talked pro wrestling on the LAW last night noting his favorite was Shawn Michaels because he liked the great villains. He said his favorite fighters to watch are also the villains. It's a story I've repeated many times when he basically being led by reporters to try and knock fighters who cut promos like Josh Koscheck and said that you need people like that for the good of the sport and his favorite fighters are Tito Ortiz and Phil Baroni.

Is he foreshadowing a heel916esque sien turn?

Heel

agrajag said:

This is the mentality that had George Sotiropoulos and Jim Miller in the title picture. Get back to me when Munoz or Bisping have wins against quality competition, which is based on the collective opinion called rankings.

agrajag

Banned
sien916 said:
This is the mentality that had George Sotiropoulos and Jim Miller in the title picture. Get back to me when Munoz or Bisping have wins against quality competition, which is based on the collective opinion called rankings.

quality competition like Brian Stann, right?

I would have also been down for a Leben rematch. Who doesn't love seeing Silva destroy people who don't have the skills to beat him?

Heel

agrajag said:
quality competition like Brian Stann, right?

He's getting a rematch because he beat Anderson convincingly for 4+ rounds. You know, something no one has managed to do against him in his whole UFC career? The people want a rematch and the UFC plans to deliver it.

Top Bottom