• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA |OT2| - Thread of Athletes, Fighters, Personalities, and Sports Entertainment

Heel

polyh3dron said:
I am not a Fedor "hater", I just hate what he did to his career and am fully aware of the limited options outside of Zuffa for him. He should have come to the UFC when he had the chance, the whole landscape of the UFC's HW division would have been different than it is now.

I simply think it's hilarious that his career has come to fighting Jeff Monson.

We're on the same page.

I'm not saying Vadim's not sheisty as fuck, but come on. If Fedor didn't like what was happening in regards to his management keeping him away from a fighter he wanted to fight or turning down deals he wanted to take, he would have done something about it, and if he didn't then the blame should be squarely on him.

Heel

polyh3dron said:
I'm not saying Vadim's not sheisty as fuck, but come on. If Fedor didn't like what was happening in regards to his management keeping him away from a fighter he wanted to fight or turning down deals he wanted to take, he would have done something about it, and if he didn't then the blame should be squarely on him.

The UFC deal was hinging on the co-promotion stipulation. Fedor owns some meager percentage of the company. I'm sure they all believed the co-promotion was worth more than the contract in the long run.

Fedor is definitely at fault for being naive enough to think his "friends" are acting with his legacy in mind.

He could've went to the UFC and lost all of these theoretical dream matches. He could've lost to Overeem. It's still a huge part of fight history we were robbed of. It sucks.

That said, even with all of this backroom negotiation bullshit, you can never take away from him what he accomplished in the ring. He's still the greatest to ever do it at heavyweight.

yacobod

Banned
ya nobody can really question brock's spirit of competition:

for a guy with 7 career fights, lets throw out his first fight in dynamite, he's fought, heath herring, frank mir, randy couture, shane carwin, and cain velasquez. And he actually agreed to fights with JDS and now overeem. it's kind of sad all the hate he gets because he is a former sports entertainment superstar, he should get more respect for being the company's biggest draw.

when he bounces reems head like a basketball with those hammerfists, the net will explode.

DKehoe

polyh3dron said:
M-1 has always said that they always act on what Fedor wants. If M-1 wasn't acting in Fedor's interest he could have dropped them. You can't just blame M-1 and leave Fedor in the clear.

I always got the impression Fedor doesn't really care about his legacy or who he fights and just left it up to M1to sort out who he fights etc. Its just a means to an end for him as a way to provide for his family.

Reem vs Brock is interesting. Has Reem ever fought a decent wrestler? And not just a decent wrestler but one that is big enough to actual keep him on the ground. I don't think this fight will be as easy for Overeem as a lot of people might think.

tass0

Banned
Maklershed said:
Reem vs Brock is interesting. Has Reem ever fought a decent wrestler? And not just a decent wrestler but one that is big enough to actual keep him on the ground. I don't think this fight will be as easy for Overeem as a lot of people might think.

I see a one-sided beatdown by Lesnar.

Overeem has really shitty TDD, and Lesnar is one of the best at taking people down.

It's a no-brainer.

ogf4f9.gif

I forget to consider yesterday how stupid it is that Lesnar is in a title eliminator in his first fight after losing the title. If I were Mir/Nog/Barnett/Kharitonov/Cormier/Silva I'd be pissed.

Would rather have seen Lesnar-Mir III and Overeem-Browne (couldn't care less about Rob Broughton).

edit: DREAM.17 will be LIVE on HDNet Sept. 24 according to MMA-JAPAN. Not sure of the time yet.

Kazushi Sakuraba VS Yan Cabral

Kazuhiro Nakamura VS Gerald Harris

Hideo Tokoro VS Antonio Banuelos

Bibiano Fernandes VS Takafumi Otsuka

Masakazu Imanari VS Abel Cullum

Yusup Saluev VS Rodolfo Marques Diniz

Tatsuya Kawajiri VS Joachim Hansen

Shinya Aoki VS Rob McCullough

Satoru Kitaoka VS Willamy Chiquerim

Caol Uno VS Lion Takeshi

Prisen

BigKaboom2 said:
I forget to consider yesterday how stupid it is that Lesnar is in a title eliminator in his first fight after losing the title. If I were Mir/Nog/Barnett/Kharitonov/Cormier/Silva I'd be pissed.

Would rather have seen Lesnar-Mir III and Overeem-Browne (couldn't care less about Rob Broughton).

4 out of the 6 guys you listed are in Strikeforce (and even if they weren't, Cormier and Kharitonov would have no legitimate reason to be pissed).

Strikeforce will probably fold within two months of the Lesnar/Overeem fight. Do you think there will ever be another SF heavyweight champion? Or light heavyweight? Or welterweight?

Edit: Also just noticed that December 30th is a Friday. That will mess up the buyrate, guaranteed.

Jezbollah

I really hope Brock will be in a better position to take strikes than he was against Cain when he faces Overeem. If he's not I can see an exact repeat of the Brett Rogers fight.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
I was out getting wasted last night and due to time differences I didn't get the Brock vs. Overeem announcement until I went to work today. I can't wait for that fight, it's going to be interesting.

On the other side of the coin, that Fedor fight is just pathetic. The only thing more sad than that matchup in the face of the UFC card is the real potential that Fedor loses.

polyh3dron said:
it'd never happen, Fedor would duck him.

Fedor vs. James Thompson - Dynamite!! 2011

I'm pretty sure that M1 would make big bank by having Fedor vs. Pudzianowski in Warsaw.

The only decent non-Zuffa guys available for Fedor would have been Monson, Konrad, Rizzo, Gonzaga, Abdurahimov, etc.

Maybe Lashley? Satoshi Ishii? Minowaman?

Chamber

love on your sleeve
I'm interested to see if they can get a million buys for Lesnar/Reem. Everything since 129 has been in the 300-350k range and the Rio buyrate was terrible considering the caliber of that card.

tass0 said:
Lesnar is one of the best at taking people down.
ogf4f9.gif

Just totally, totally unproven. And probably false.

Who has he done really well against in the take-down game? Randy? Nope. Carwin? Nope. Cain? Nope. Herring? Struggled to get a number of early takedowns, actually. Mir? Yes! Frank Mir!

Can't believe someone is using a gif of a off balance push to prove Reem has shitty tdd. Let's see gifs of him getting doubled or singled.

If Brock takes him down and can't finish with him with miniature hammerfists, he'll have to repeat the process 4 times while exhausted. Then again maybe Overeem would be too tired to defend. I predict knees though.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Chamber said:
I'm interested to see if they can get a million buys for Lesnar/Reem. Everything since 129 has been in the 300-350k range and the Rio buyrate was terrible considering the caliber of that card.

curious if the higher ppv price has shown a decrease in buys

But Brock has shitty takedowns. He bulldozes his way through them. Brock's problem is how he relies on muscle and not skill. Carwin (before gassing) stopped them and so did Cain.

yacobod

Banned
CaptYamato said:
Can't believe someone is using a gif of a off balance push to prove Reem has shitty tdd. Let's see gifs of him getting doubled or singled.

Ya just like his chin magically got better when he stopped fighting good competition. Guy gets kod every other fight in pride. Starts fighting cans in japan and k1 that would even make fedor blush, and all of a sudden he's got a granite chin. Delusional fans for a guy who has 1 decent mma win in 5 years.

yacobod

Banned
BigKaboom2 said:
If Brock takes him down and can't finish with him with miniature hammerfists, he'll have to repeat the process 4 times while exhausted. Then again maybe Overeem would be too tired to defend. I predict knees though.

I'm sure brocks gas tank is way better than overeems. Reem gassed in the middle of the first round against werdum, and has a history of gassing.

Him not gassing against tomato cans doesn't really tell u anything about his cardio.

BigKaboom2 said:
edit: DREAM.17 will be LIVE on HDNet Sept. 24 according to MMA-JAPAN. Not sure of the time yet.
FUCK YES

I can actually watch DREAM again without knowing the results of the fights.

Thank you, Based Cuban.

tass0

Banned
The next few weeks are epically stacked, the fights that I'm hyped to watch:

Josh Barnett/Sergei Kharitonov
Antonio Silva/Daniel Cormier
Jacare/Rockhold
Roger Gracie/King Mo
Jake Shields/Jake Ellenberger
Shinya Aoki/Rob McCullough
Tatsuya Kawajiri/Joachim Hansen
Sakuraba/Cabral (pity watch)
Takanori Gomi/Nate Diaz
Matt Hughes/Josh Koscheck

and finally Jon Jones/Rampage.

This is probably the best year in MMA history, fight-wise, tbh.

Then a bit later we got GSP/Nick Diaz, BJ/Condit, Hatsu Hioki/Roop, Cro Cop/Nelson, Edgar/Maynard, Jose Aldo/Florian, Chael Sonnen/Brian Stann, Maia/Santiago, Anthony Pettis/Stephens, Cheick Kongo/Mitrione and to end the year Junior Dos Santos/Cain Velasquez, and Alistair Overeem/Brock Lesnar.

I mean, seriously, this year, top to bottom, is fucking amazing.

y2dvd

The Jones/Rampage promo was excellently done. Hype! My friend is mad that I straight out said I'm missing her bday party for this lol.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Man I can't believe Luke Rockhold was the best challenger they could throw at Jacare. Get that boy a UFC contract!

I don't get why everyone's sleeping on Rockhold. He's never been out of the first round.

Hasn't fought for a year and a half but he's a beast.

Frank Shamrock on whether MMA is a sport:
“But it’s not just like those sports,” said Shamrock. “I love MMA. I credit it with saving my life. I think it can and will change the world for the better. But is it a sport? I don’t think so.

“As dear as it is to me,” Shamrock continued, “MMA is still this thing in between sport and spectacle. No, MMA isn’t a sport. Not yet.”
“Not yet,” he responded. “Look, true sports have a serious level of professionalism. The athletes have to answer to somebody. The owners of the sport carry themselves in…a professional manner. It won’t get there unless some serious changes at the top are made.”
http://fcfighter.com/post/frank-shamrock-“mma-isn’t-a-sport-not-yet-”

Throwing everyone under the bus in order to get another jab in at Dana; so good.

Heel

polyh3dron said:
gives GSP a reason to be angry lol

I think Nick should be worrying about pissing off the UFC, not GSP. How many times has Dana said "Nick needs to play the game"? He's playing with fire. He already no-showed something yesterday.

Edit: Speaking of playing with fire...

K1PA4.jpg

yacobod

Banned
Frank is right that mma is sports entertainment, not sure why ppl are upset about that.

And nick no showing the events is part of the plan to hype/sell the fight. It will probably feature heavily into one of the diaz/gsp 360 shows.

Edit: I hope nick or nate slap ariel. Nick already hates him.

Heel

yacobod said:
And nick no showing the events is part of the plan to hype/sell the fight. It will probably feature heavily into one of the diaz/gsp 360 shows.

You think so? I really doubt wasting the media's time is a part of some elaborate angle. Main event headliners not showing up for press briefings doesn't help their cause. They fight for their coverage all the time.

He's had a few hours to show up, so we'll see where this goes.

yacobod

Banned
Nicks too busy training in the 209 to attend. Media would be there w/ or w/out nick, this is just an angle to push the fight. Ufc is going to spin nick into some guy hard from the streets like clubber lang in rocky 3.

Top Bottom