• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA |OT2| - Thread of Athletes, Fighters, Personalities, and Sports Entertainment

Chamber

love on your sleeve
I won't let Kandell ruin what was an excellent night of Bad MMA. See you all at ProElite 4.

iuSPpsTB5ByCj.gif

dream

I feel like these shows give me renewed strength and energy to survive another afternoon of UFC prelims. Bring on Clay "Heavy Metal" Halverson. I can take it.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
this ufc commercial aired during the football game

lol

www.youtube.com/watch?v=yA4pBAwlSJU

That's the worst shit I've ever seen.

Would the UFC even allow Jones to lose at this point? They're really spending money on making him the face of the UFC.

Jones is without a doubt the only fighter in MMA who looks unbeatable. His physique and style is simply unmatched. At this point I think the only person who can beat Jones is Steve Mazzagatti, so I don't blame Dana for betting the farm on him.

SteveWD40

Would the UFC even allow Jones to lose at this point? They're really spending money on making him the face of the UFC.

They would rather he didn't, I think Hendo would have the best chance right now and even that would be an outside chance.

With Brock gone, GSP out for a while and Silva probably not far from retirement Jones is their best shot at a legit "MMA Star" they can plaster on game boxes etc...

Just watched ProElite 3 last night and the bad mma lived up to its name. This is the second time now Ryan Martinez has fought a guy that refuses to pull the trigger on him and he wins by default because he occasionally wings out lifeless jabs. He's gonna win the friggin heavyweight grand prix by standing in the center of the cage and doing a little bit more than nothing at all. Ridiculous.

ShaneB

First thing I thought of as well. It's the crux of the UFC/MMA in general, trying to build stars where anything can happen is just asking for bad things. You're building up stars, but then the moment they lose all the hype is gone because you've built up this lone star, not the sport itself. A case of if you're not first, you're the worst. Which also raises questions about depth, which is all too evident here from the amount of "bad mma". In a sport based around going for a single championship, nobody cares if the division is 100 fighters deep if you've got 95 fighters that aren't good enough to beat whoever has the title.

Blah!

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
Carlson Gracie BJJ tournament this weekend in Aurora, IL.

I'm psyched to meet Carlson Jr.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Weapon Related Sponsors Banned From UFC

The MMA Corner has learned from sources close to the situation that the latest impact is that guns and ammunition sponsors, such as The Gun Store and Ammotogo.com, have been banned from events that take place on the Fox family of networks.

*UPDATE * - The MMA Corner has learned that the ban includes companies related to guns, knives, ammunition, and hunting. It will go into effect on Jan. 23. The ban has been extended to all UFC events, not just those broadcast on the Fox family of networks.

Yea-guns.gif

ChiTownBuffalo

Glad Brock isn't bracing the gun on his midsection. The recoil might have killed him.

I don't see a problem with the ban. I think it was bound to happen as the UFC public exposure got higher. Even without the FOx deal, I still think it was going to happen.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.

I, being a civilised British person whom spells civilised with an s, always found it jarring seeing gunstore advertisements. Cultural dissonance I know, but I always considered it the lowest point of sponsorship. Like a guy who's just wandered out of the Midwest Super Cage Challenge and into the big leagues with no time/prestige to get something better.

ChiTownBuffalo

Did any fighters get sponsorships from Bass Pro Shops or Gander Mountain?

ShaneB

I think the Fox event certainly deserves its own thread, it really is the first true event on Fox. And it'll last longer than 60 seconds.

TheNatural

My Member!
I think the Fox event certainly deserves its own thread, it really is the first true event on Fox. And it'll last longer than 60 seconds.

Yeah, maybe some new people will watch. I think if Sonnen and Bisping had more time to talk shit it would get some pretty good hype.

Top Bottom