• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA |OT2| - Thread of Athletes, Fighters, Personalities, and Sports Entertainment

TheNatural

My Member!
God this exchange between this caller and Ariel is horrible. Talking about how Condit's kicks weren't effective, but pitter patter Nick body shots were?

Heel

Alan Belcher vs Rousimar Palhares is on Fox.

Nice fight right here.

Alistair Overeem is a Blackzillian.

LINK

Also, Mike Kyle is injured AGAIN.

Mousasi vs. Kyle is Strikeforce's Rivera vs. Sakara

Eh, this is more about Overeem signing with Authentic Sports Management than anything. It's like saying you're a part of the Black House gym when you sign with Ed Soares. He's still going to need to bring in heavyweights to help with his grappling.

Mousasi vs. Feijao is the only worthy replacement. Not holding my breath that he'll take it on short notice. MOUSASI vs. JARDINE II INCOMING.

Eh, this is more about Overeem signing with Authentic Sports Management than anything. It's like saying you're a part of the Black House gym when you sign with Ed Soares. He's still going to need to bring in heavyweights to help with his grappling.
My understanding of the article was that he is actually going to be training in Boca Raton at the facility full time, so no it's not a Soares management situation like Aldo being with Nova Uniao or JDS primarily working with Luiz Dorea. From what I gathered in that piece The Reem will be training at Imperial Athletics in Boca Raton, FL and will be living there.

Heel

My understanding of the article was that he is actually going to be training in Boca Raton at the facility full time, so no it's not a Soares management situation like Aldo being with Nova Uniao or JDS primarily working with Luiz Dorea. From what I gathered in that piece The Reem will be training at Imperial Athletics in Boca Raton, FL and will be living there.

Seems like a mistake if they don't bring in bigger guys. He's a big fish in a small pond. Who the hell is he going to grapple with, Mike Van Arsdale? I'm sure he's in the position to bring people in to push him.

Seems like a mistake if they don't bring in bigger guys. He's a big fish in a small pond. Who the hell is he going to grapple with, Mike Van Arsdale? I'm sure he's in the position to bring people in to push him.
Well yeah of course he'll bring in people, but Imperial Athletics will be his home base. Also, Bigfoot Silva trains there and was one of the first guys there along with Evans.

Heel

Well yeah of course he'll bring in people, but Imperial Athletics will be his home base. Also, Bigfoot Silva trains there and was one of the first guys there along with Evans.

Forgot about Bigfoot. I'm sure the guys at Imperial can help him a lot through coaching, but there's only so much you can learn without having talented grapplers his size to progress his game.

When it comes down to it, Overeem vs. JDS might come down to grappling. If Overeem is getting outstruck he's going to need to get it to the ground. If he's outstriking JDS he's going to want to keep it standing. MMA 101 right there, but I think JDS' grappling is pretty underrated at this point. This could turn out to be a lot more than a kickboxing match if it makes it to the later rounds.

Heel

Dave Herman's middle eastern hipster era has begun. I pray for you, Mr. Struve.

dave-herman-5.jpg

Hipster Herman was pissing hot for weed before it was cool.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
◉_◉ Awesome! Blackzillians is about 20 minutes from my house! I'm definitely gonna drop by there one day and try to catch a glimpse of The Reem training.
Ask him to knee you. Thats like a Reem autograph.

Heel

Suddenly it all makes sense.

@FrontRowBrian - Blackzillians are paying Overeem to train there. They don't hold his management contract. They budgeted 500K for Overeem+team to be there

@BloodstainLane - @FrontRowBrian ...Yes they are PAYING Overeem HUGE money..I have TWO sources one in Holland and one here in the states

Three-year agreement with YouTube...hahaha. Bad MMA never die!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9Os9oJ6ph4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvmr-8g47UU

ibjwyGRhZRXrXq.jpg

Forgot about Bigfoot. I'm sure the guys at Imperial can help him a lot through coaching, but there's only so much you can learn without having talented grapplers his size to progress his game.

When it comes down to it, Overeem vs. JDS might come down to grappling. If Overeem is getting outstruck he's going to need to get it to the ground. If he's outstriking JDS he's going to want to keep it standing. MMA 101 right there, but I think JDS' grappling is pretty underrated at this point. This could turn out to be a lot more than a kickboxing match if it makes it to the later rounds.
JDS has proven that he can keep the fight one the feet, and that is where he is most comfortable fighting. Overeem has a good submission game so I don't know why JDS would want to go to the ground where he could be at a disadvantage. This is gonna be a fight that stays on the feet almost the whole time, calling it now. Maybe JDS tries to pull a Conduit and run away the whole time to gas The Reem out or something though, who knows.

And speaking of the Reem, LOLOLOL at Imperial Athletics paying HIM to train there. Also, WTF @ Bloodstain Lane apparently being a friend of Alistair and putting his business out there at the same time... That's pretty fucked. WTF kind of business model is that? Is Rashad pissing all his money away? Or Maybe Rashad wants to use him as a sparring partner for to prepare for JBJ..

Speaking of that fight, just booked my flight and room for Atlanta.. can't wait. Tix go on sale this Wednesday for fight club members.

Big news guys - according to a hard hitting article on mmajunkie, just because Mendes lost to Aldo doesn't mean he plans on quitting!

(I'm guessing mmajunkie contributors must be paid by the article)

Big news guys - according to a hard hitting article on mmajunkie, just because Mendes lost to Aldo doesn't mean he plans on quitting!

(I'm guessing mmajunkie contributors must be paid by the article)
I hope they will have a follow-up article that even though he lost a championship fight, he will not be dropping down to 135. Or maybe he will. Whichever, let's get an article up!

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
Ronda Rousey.

Rawr.

yacobod

Banned
I'll chime in on the JDS/Reem fight.

Stylistically it seems like it should be a stand-up affair. Reem has better "technical" striking on paper, but JDS's wild, looping, punches from all angles style has been very effective thus far in his UFC career. Will Reem be able to exploit JDS's wild chin up style? JDS seems to have a pretty good chin though.

The biggest question imo is can Overeem's weak chin standup withstand getting hit by the best KO artist at HW? And if the fight gets out of the first round does he have the gas tank to fight rounds 2-5?

I'll chime in on the JDS/Reem fight.

Stylistically it seems like it should be a stand-up affair. Reem has better "technical" striking on paper, but JDS's wild, looping, punches from all angles style has been very effective thus far in his UFC career. Will Reem be able to exploit JDS's wild chin up style? JDS seems to have a pretty good chin though.

The biggest question imo is can Overeem's weak chin standup withstand getting hit by the best KO artist at HW? And if the fight gets out of the first round does he have the gas tank to fight rounds 2-5?

If Carwin can last 3 rounds than Reem can last 6 rounds.

dream

Yeah, I think that's the key. Too many people have gone the distance with JDS for me to believe he's really that much of a killer.

yacobod

Banned
Yeah, I think that's the key. Too many people have gone the distance with JDS for me to believe he's really that much of a killer.

who's ever knocked out big country nelson? we might as well add him to the granite chin list. werdum put a huge beating him last ppv and he was still standing.

and carwin's lost some luster after gassing and losing to lesnar than getting beat up by JDS.

either way I'm pinning all my HW hopes on mma legend frank mir beating Sugar Cain and then reclaiming his title against the JDS/Reem winner.

Heel

I don't think JDS pushes the cardio game enough to make it a real factor. His endurance has never really been tested either. Dictating one-sided kickboxing matches for 3 rounds says nothing. Overeem can do that all day.

Stolen from trondealhunter @ Slickdeals.net

Free 3 months access to UFC.TV
Go to UFC's official facebook page and look for the "UFC Valentine's Day" option and just follow the steps.

you get access to the whole fight library and everything. this is the real deal!

the "UFC Valentine's Day" option is on the left side under the profile picture

http://www.facebook.com/UFC

I just thought I'd share this in case anybody here is interested.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Reem via Round 2 TKO. I have foreseen it.

who's ever knocked out big country nelson? we might as well add him to the granite chin list. werdum put a huge beating him last ppv and he was still standing.

ivDo9i2qRGdco.gif

Nelson does have a great chin which is why this gif is so interesting to me.

yacobod

Banned
I don't really see how a dude getting punched in back of the head or eating a shit load of punches=weak chin

Bas Rutten said:
I think Alistair, everything he does is one single shot because he knows he’s got that glass jaw as well. He’s been knocked out quite a few times in the past, even by Chuck Liddell as well. Every time when he punches, one hand is up. He throws single shots; he doesn’t throw combinations. You saw that when he fought Werdum. Werdum was actually tagging him more than he did to Werdum. I think that Junior dos Santos, with his combinations, his reach, I think he’s going to tag him and he’s going to throw combos and I think that yeah, he’s going to take this fight.

It's not like I'm the only one saying it.

I finished my picks last night, expecting the site to be down today, especially with all the new layouts. It looks good though. Easier to see their records.

Balehead

Golden Glory has been pretty pathetic in general about Alistair's departure. They sue him before his biggest fight and Bas has been talking smack ever since the news broke. Obviously we don't know how terrible Overeem has been to them (if at all), but they sure are doing everything to bring him down.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
I'm totally there for Sapp vs Thompson, just need to be reminded when it's close to happening.

As for Tim Sylvia, him vs Pat Barry would be funny then sad to watch.

Heel

I actually think Struve would get tooled by Timmy. Bad match up for him.

Struve is one of those UFC pet projects where they let him bottom feed in the division instead of throwing him to the wolves, hoping he develops into greatness. I guess he's finally reached 265 lbs. so will be interesting to see where he goes from here. I think he has a pretty good chance to pull off an upset in a few days. This is coming from a big Herman fan.

Top Bottom