• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA |OT2| - Thread of Athletes, Fighters, Personalities, and Sports Entertainment

I don't like where the "sport" is headed. dana needs to increase the bonuses to like 150k or 250k for submission, KO, and fight of the night to encourage these bums to put the Fighting back into the UFC.

or instead of the standard win bonus, they should have a finish bonus.

Honestly, we need some fighter like Rashad to really troll the judging system repeatedly like he did in the Thiago Silva fight. Just keep getting takedowns like Rashad and then run away like Conduit. Troll the shit out of the Unified Rules and maybe then they'll get changed.

yacobod

Banned
Honestly, we need some fighter like Rashad to really troll the judging system repeatedly like he did in the Thiago Silva fight. Just keep getting takedowns like Rashad and then run away like Conduit. Troll the shit out of the Unified Rules and maybe then they'll get changed.

keep talking like that you'll be accused of being a just bleed mma-noob or a pro-wrestling mark, who can't appreciate wrestling, good boxing, solid footwork, and superior game planning.

and jesus poly, didn't you see Conduit throw that spinning back fist and head kicks, he was totally trying to finish the fight.

Boogie

I guess he just got bored shaving..

1288449292337.jpg

Holy crap, and I thought I was a hairy guy!

Betcha he goes back to shaving if he gets to the point of facing, say, Werdum or Mir tho!

ShaneB

I don't like where the "sport" is headed. dana needs to increase the bonuses to like 150k or 250k for submission, KO, and fight of the night to encourage these bums to put the Fighting back into the UFC.

or instead of the standard win bonus, they should have a finish bonus.

It's the sports part butting heads with the entertainment part.

Dana claims he'll give the fans the fights they want, thinking they'll be great scraps. Then the fighters go into the octagon with the knowledge that if they win, they'll move up in the rankings. Ergo, point fighting to just do what it takes to get the victory.

Look at up-and-comers, showing they want to prove something. I mean hell, some of the craziest fights are some TUF fights just to get onto the show, proving they've got what it takes.

When a fighter is on top with a meaningless title, they'll do what they can to stay there.

In the interest of bashing Tim Sylvia, here's a post Joe Lauzon wrote about him

Tim is a dick. Fuck that guy.

My brother stepped up to fight Spencer Fisher at 18 yrs old and only 4 pro fights. He was the youngest UFC fighter ever... and stepping up on 2 weeks notice. Dan won the first 4 and a half minutes of the first round, taking Spencer down and working ground and pound... and then gassed. Spencer got up and TKO'd Dan.

After the fight, Tim bumps into my brother in the hotel and goes "hey nice 30 seconds" and then walks off laughing to himself. He was the champ at the time, and kicking the youngest and most inexperienced kid in the UFC who had just stepped up so his teammate would have an opponent.

There is a reason he catches so much heat... he is a douche and no one on his own team even likes him.

keep talking like that you'll be accused of being a just bleed mma-noob or a pro-wrestling mark, who can't appreciate wrestling, good boxing, solid footwork, and superior game planning.

and jesus poly, didn't you see Conduit throw that spinning back fist and head kicks, he was totally trying to finish the fight.
then just bleed, dagnabbit

TheNatural

My Member!
Brittney is hot, but I knew that Playboy would make her not look like herself though. Why is it a simple get naked in front of a mirror with an iPhone shot way hotter than any professional photos?

Heel

WEDNESDAY FIGHT SCHEDULE

UFC on FUEL TV 1: Ellenberger vs. Sanchez

Prelims start at 3:20 PM PT / 6:20 PM ET on Facebook.com
Main card starts at 5:00 PM PT / 8:00 PM ET FUEL TV

OTHER NOTABLE FIGHTS

Kendall Grove vs. Jay Silva (Thursday, Superior Cage Combat 4)
Justin Buchholz vs. John Gunderson (Thursday, Superior Cage Combat 4)
Jamie Yager vs. Danny Davis Jr. (Thursday, Superior Cage Combat 4)
Terry Martin vs. Tim Ruberg (Thursday, Superior Cage Combat 4)
Brandon Bender (#3 FW prospect) vs. Marlin Weikel (Thursday, Superior Cage Combat 4)
Brett Rogers vs. Jeffrey Kugel (Saturday, Donofrio Entertainment: My Bloody Valentine)
Akihiro Gono vs. Daisuke Nakamura (Saturday, DEEP: 57th Impact!)
Amanda "George's Daughter" Lucas vs. Yumiko Hotta (Saturday, DEEP: 57th Impact!)
Doo Ho Choi vs. Kazunori Yokota (Saturday, DEEP: 57th Impact!)
Daijiro Matsui vs. Hiromitsu Kanehara (Saturday, DEEP: 57th Impact!) Heel's Bad MMA Fight of the Week
Rogent Lloret vs. Bobby Brents (Saturday, Cage Warriors Fighting Championship 45)

It doesn't surprise me that Laurzon hates him when Matt Huges, one of his teammates at the time even hates him and wrote about him in his book.

On the topic of point fighters officials need to look at Pride rules and fighters should be penalized for not trying to finish or should be given points on trying to finish. This octagon control thing is a joke and is vague.

The old ring girls are hotter than the newer ones. WTH Dana

Boogie

On the topic of point fighters officials need to look at Pride rules and fighters should be penalized for not trying to finish or should be given points on trying to finish. This octagon control thing is a joke and is vague.

a

Bu-bu-bu "octagon control" was the main argument for giving the fight to Diaz!

Lol

TheNatural

My Member!
WEDNESDAY FIGHT SCHEDULE

OTHER NOTABLE FIGHTS

Kendall Grove vs. Jay Silva (Thursday, Superior Cage Combat 4)
Justin Buchholz vs. John Gunderson (Thursday, Superior Cage Combat 4)
Jamie Yager vs. Danny Davis Jr. (Thursday, Superior Cage Combat 4)
Terry Martin vs. Tim Ruberg (Thursday, Superior Cage Combat 4)
Brandon Bender (#3 FW prospect) vs. Marlin Weikel (Thursday, Superior Cage Combat 4)
Brett Rogers vs. Jeffrey Kugel (Saturday, Donofrio Entertainment: My Bloody Valentine)
Akihiro Gono vs. Daisuke Nakamura (Saturday, DEEP: 57th Impact!) Heel's Bad MMA Fight of the Week
Amanda "George's Daughter" Lucas vs. Yumiko Hotta (Saturday, DEEP: 57th Impact!)
Doo Ho Choi vs. Kazunori Yokota (Saturday, DEEP: 57th Impact!)
Rogent Lloret vs. Bobby Brents (Saturday, Cage Warriors Fighting Championship 45)

You wanna make a bum Wednesday chat for the prelims in a couple hours?

TheNatural

My Member!
In other, non "woe is Nick news":

White told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) that he'll now have a greater role in the operations of the promotion. And with a female title fight between Miesha Tate and Ronda Rousey on the horizon, White – not always the biggest supporter of women's MMA – is pumped for the contest.

"I never thought I'd say this, but I'm really excited for that fight," White told MMAjunkie.com. "I'm really excited."

"We had a great meeting this week – great meeting – and I'm going to be very involved in Strikeforce," White said.

White refused to reveal precisely what his master plan for the promotion includes. Will it be a feeder league for the UFC? Will there be crossover fights with UFC fighters?

White preferred to keep those answers close to his vest but did say some changes would be evident as soon as the March 3 event.

"This week, when we got together with them, we made a few tweaks, and we're going to slowly tweak this thing until it's dialed in," White said. "So I'm happy. I'm really happy. I'm happy about the Columbus show."

yacobod

Banned
how far have those Columbus shows fallen.

first one was Randy vs Timmeh
second one was Hendo vs Silva

now fucking women's mma is headlining.

TheNatural

My Member!
See I got all excited that prelims started at 3 because of this:

Pacific time never goes first damnit. Bum MMA chat cancelled until further notice.

See I got all excited that prelims started at 3 because of this:

Pacific time never goes first damnit. Bum MMA chat cancelled until further notice.

haha I always put Pacific time first too... too much pro-eastern bias in tv land dagnabbit, gotta offset it somehow

TheNatural

My Member!
haha I always put Pacific time first too... too much pro-eastern bias in tv land dagnabbit, gotta offset it somehow

East = best
West = rest

Maybe if you guys would show up to events on time instead of going to Dodger games in the 7th inning, you would get some respect. Cheese and wine'ers.

Heel

West coast is 1st coast, brah.

I'll catch you guys in the nerd chat sometime during the main card. Weekday UFC cards are ridiculous. How many people do they expect at the prelims at 3:20 1st coast time in fucking Nebraska?

ShaneB

West coast is 1st coast, brah.

I'll catch you guys in the nerd chat sometime during the main card. Weekday UFC cards are ridiculous. How many people do they expect at the prelims at 3:20 1st coast time in fucking Nebraska?

Well the capacity for the venue is 9,300... so.. like 930 people??

yacobod

Banned
from mma junkie:

"He lost two out of three rounds," Palaszewski said. "So I don't know how they gave him a 'W.' I think Roop whooped him. I think Roop pressured him and he couldn't handle it. They were saying (Hioki experienced) butterflies because of the big show, but I was like, uh, isn't he a champ in previous promotions? Promotions that compete with the UFC, (and) promotions that are as big as the UFC.

"So I think he's got a lot more hype behind him than skill."

And what better opportunity could a veteran fighter receive in the fight business? Hioki was the apple of many hardcore eyes before he first stepped into the octagon. Some ranked him at the top of the featherweight ladder.

Please, says his opponent.

"He's got zero standup," Palaszewski continued. "I've seen him get dropped more than once, and if a [featherweight] can drop him, I know that if I connect with him, he's going to go to sleep.

"You watch some of his Shooto fights, the only reason he didn't get finished is because he got a standing-eight count. He got dropped, I think, four or five times in a fight. So, if some of the guys are connecting with him...if I connect with him, he's going to sleep."

But there's the other side of the coin when it comes to Hioki's skill set. Most would agree that it wasn't his punches that beat Roop. It was his grappling, and that's a serious threat for Palaszewski, as much as he scoffs at the hype around the Japanese fighter.

Well, that's if Palaszewski buys into the idea that Hioki is a better grappler, and you know the answer to that question.

"A lot of people are forgetting that I'm a legit jiu-jitsu black belt," he said. "Just because I don't choose to grapple and submit guys, they think I've got no skill on the ground. I've fought way better than Hioki."

Such as Marcio Feitosa, a highly decorated black belt under the Carlos Gracie Jr. Palaszewski narrowly outpointed him in the now-defunct IFL.

"I don't think Hioki's going to be able to take me down in the first place," he said of preliminary-card fight, which takes place Feb. 25 at Saitama Super Arena in Saitama, Japan. "I don't think he's physically strong enough. He was having a hard time taking Roop down, and I think I'm going to be more physical than Roop. He didn't even attempt ground and pound or shoot for a submission. So I think he's highly overrated, and that's it."

I'm so looking forward to Bartimus beating up Hioki. Classic striker vs grappler match-up.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Outside of the main event I didn't feel all that comfortable with any of my picks. Should have just skipped the boosts this time....but I didn't

yacobod

Banned
So he's going to be put on his back the whole fight?

maybe if he was an american wrestler, but he's a feeble Japanese fighter.

i was thinking classic striker versus grappler matchup like a Chuck vs Babulu, when the grappler is totally over-matched.

a modern example would be Gsot vs Dennis Siver.

To be honest I don't think he wins. I'm just fucking with you. Now if he was Korean I would say his wrestling was enough to get the W. Only Asian country that has good wrestlers.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
I wouldn't underestimate his stand up over a mediocre fight against Roop. Marlon Sandro was beat up by Hioki's stand up and he's a decent striker. Bart will win though.

Is there something missing in Bart's head though? What organization that Hioki has been a champ in is as big as the UFC? He sounds like an idiot when he says Sengoku and Shooto compete with the UFC.

Top Bottom