• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA |OT2| - Thread of Athletes, Fighters, Personalities, and Sports Entertainment

Heel

I WANT TO BELIEVE. K-1 Issues a Press Release: Seven Events This Year, Los Angeles and New York City

Fedor by KO.

Fedor is the only man alive who can defeat Alistair. Belee dat!

Too bad Brock retired or Fedor would've ko'd him as well.

iPF8cRQvyuAGW.gif

Why does everyone think his chin is weak? The one Gif Yaco posts shows him getting clipped in back of the head, the other beat downs from Pride all happen after getting beat the fuck down (most notably Shogun fights), shit he took punches from Badr in the second fight until that punch to the temple, and he got tagged a few times in the HW grand prix.

TheNatural

My Member!
Why does everyone think his chin is weak? The one Gif Yaco posts shows him getting clipped in back of the head, the other beat downs from Pride all happen after getting beat the fuck down (most notably Shogun fights), shit he took punches from Badr in the second fight until that punch to the temple, and he got tagged a few times in the HW grand prix.

Bitterness.

5.gif

yacobod

Banned
well if you're going to play dumb, a fighter's chin never improves over time, it always degrades with punishment. once you've had your lights shut off, the next time it get's shut off even easier. this isn't exclusive to prize fighting, look at concussion cases in the NFL like steve young or troy aikman. At the tail end of their careers a strong wind would give them a concussion.

Alistair was TKO'd several times in PrideFC, now granted he was TKO'd by some of the best guys fighting in the era, but he had his lights turned off by smaller guys. it's not inconceivable to think he can get get TKO'd by bigger and stronger guys at HW. he was also KO'd by sergei when he moved up to HW, and was dropped a couple of times fighting in K1 with larger gloves.

i'm going to play the competition card, the only thing that's changed is he's been fighting a lower level of competition since moving up to HW. his fights with werdum and brock were his first good mma fights since the fall of pride.

TheNatural

My Member!
well if you're going to play dumb, a fighter's chin never improves over time, it always degrades with punishment. once you've had your lights shut off, the next time it get's shut off even easier. this isn't exclusive to prize fighting, look at concussion cases in the NFL like steve young or troy aikman. At the tail end of their careers a strong wind would give them a concussion.

Alistair was TKO'd several times in PrideFC, now granted he was TKO'd by some of the best guys fighting in the era, but he had his lights turned off by smaller guys. it's not inconceivable to think he can get get TKO'd by bigger and stronger guys at HW. he was also KO'd by sergei when he moved up to HW, and was dropped a couple of times fighting in K1 with larger gloves.

Y'all musta forgot.

g_hopkins_195.jpg

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
I think what's freakiest out of the 3 fighters Fedor fought in Strikeforce, I'd say Werdum is the only one to have really changed what with his much improved standup.

Dysun

JDS gets no love.

All he does is KO people and never get in trouble unless it's Roy Nelsons punching bag head getting him tired

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
It makes me wonder if Anderson Silva has ever been knocked out in one of his "knockout prevention" training sessions.

Sergei fight he was clipped in back of the head. It's the only the second time he has ever been straight up KO'd in the last ten years. All those TKO's have been him having his body getting physically destroyed.

He's a lot bigger now too and no longer cutting an ungodly amount of weight.

He's only been knocked down twice in K-1. Shit that second fight against Badr was pretty even until he took that temple shot. He wasn't even knocked down a second time in that fight. He walked out of the ring right after he was told to go to his corner and the fight was stopped.

Heel

i'm going to play the competition card, the only thing that's changed is he's been fighting a lower level of competition since moving up to HW. his fights with werdum and brock were his first good mma fights since the fall of pride.

Let's not forget that he passed the ultimate test in beating the great Mark Hunt, who managed to both ragdoll and guard pass Overeem with his ADCC grappling ability.

Heel

EviLore said:
All the policy of the last several years, basically, has been to address the megathread problem. With such high traffic and such few forum areas, the flow of information that is normally self-regulating (most interesting topics floating to the top) can become clogged up by long-term megathreads, especially those kept active by a small number of dedicated posters. This can drown out new discussion topics and grind the flow of information to a halt.

It's pretty well solved in Gaming now, but Off-Topic is trickier, since megathreads make more sense here than there, and Off-Topic feels more like a set of subcommunities, but the end result is still that Off-Topic has become stagnant just like Gaming had become. So action is being taken here as well, it just can't be done with rules as clearly defined, and so can't be done as cleanly.

ib2DEH187X6SzI.gif

Evil just doesn't want that one extra click he would have to make to get to this thread when he is spying on us.

Edit: Also, Yaco, your avatar time is almost up right?

yacobod

Banned
i think the bet was pretty nebulous in terms of length, and i must admit the bet was pretty stacked against me, but I'd like to keep it for my remaining time on this forum.

it's going to be my scarlet letter.

yacobod

Banned
all i know is that you jabronis kept adding terms and conditions to the bet after the fact. i'm not even sure what i agreed to in the end, i'm going to have to consult with my good friend dream to get his opinion on the matter. i will also have to consult fellow JBJ lover and lawyer AstroLad to see if the terms of the bet were unconstitutional.

and if brock lesnar returns to compete in sports entertainment, i believe i will have fulfilled the last dastardly condition of the bet.

Heel

all i know is that you jabronis kept adding terms and conditions to the bet after the fact. i'm not even sure what i agreed to in the end, i'm going to have to consult with my good friend dream to get his opinion on the matter. i will also have to consult fellow JBJ lover and lawyer AstroLad to see if the terms of the bet were unconstitutional.

and if brock lesnar returns to compete in sports entertainment, i believe i will have fulfilled the last dastardly condition of the bet.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=33872838&postcount=2076

That's an airtight contract, brah. Uncle Dana would be proud.

Also why do I get the feeling that we're going to see Fedor in the UFC before 2013.

So many hints and teases here and there recently.
Nope he'll have a retirement fight in the Supa Fite Leeg, it'll be a rematch with Tim Sylvia that Timmeh will win.

EDIT: oh but teh plot thickenz

https://twitter.com/#!/lorenzofertitta/status/184064819941490688

@CRISPY_PIG: @lorenzofertitta if fedor's management come to the ufc and ask for a contract no co promotion would you discuss it with them or no chamce

@lorenzofertitta: @CRISPY_PIG I would

ohhhhhhhh snap

not like it'll go anywhere though. Vadim defines respect as sucking his dick and copromoting with M-1 not doing any of the work.

TheNatural

My Member!
Nope he'll have a retirement fight in the Supa Fite Leeg, it'll be a rematch with Tim Sylvia that Timmeh will win.

EDIT: oh but teh plot thickenz

https://twitter.com/#!/lorenzofertitta/status/184064819941490688

ohhhhhhhh snap

not like it'll go anywhere though. Vadim defines respect as sucking his dick and copromoting with M-1 not doing any of the work.

That's kind of like saying "would you hire Lindsay Lohan if she stopped being batshit insane and went to college and got a degree?"

We're talking about pie in the sky scenarios here. Vadim not being a batshit ponzi schemer is not going to happen.

TheNatural

My Member!
And oh yeah, about the King Mo racism stuff. Well, he was full of shit. Sorry for giving that fool the benefit of the doubt once the transcripts came out with everything in context:

PL: What were you taking after you had seen the doctor?

ML: Orthovisc, which is some injections the doctor gave me, some anti-inflammatories…

PL: You filled out a pre-fight medical questionnaire before your fight in January did you not?

ML: Yes I did

PL: There are a couple of questions on that pre-fught questionnaire that ask you what kind of prescribed medications you were taking, do you recall that?

ML: Yes I do.

PL: You ticked ‘nothing’

ML: Well... I ticked nothing because I was there by myself, my manager wasn’t there. My manager had the whole list of everything [I was using] and he came late. So I didn’t know everything that was actually injected into my knee by my doctor.

PL: But you knew you were taking something though, right?

ML: Er.. Yes, correct.

PL: Alright. You also said you were taking some stuff over the counter at that point in time, correct?

ML: Uh, I don’t know… I only know what I put on the questionnaire…

Kogan, interjecting: - we didn’t put anything on the questionnaire - I was the one who filled out the questionnaire, I apologise. Orthovisc that he was taking was a lubricant that was administered into his knee, er…

PL: There’s no apologising for falsifying required information on the medical questionnaire. Mr Lawal, my question to you is that you signed this medical questionnaire after it was filled out did you not?

ML: I did, I did

PL: Can you understand English?

ML: Yes.

PL: Can you read English?

ML: Uh-huh.

PL: Then you knew that by signing it that the information on this medical questionnaire is supposed to be true and correct, right?

ML: Er, yes.

Another dumbass bites the dust.

Heel

King Mo is a lot more fun to watch when he's styling on cans like lineal Bellator champion Travis Wiuff and sending Mark Kerr back to the used car lot.

Heel

FRIDAY FIGHT SCHEDULE

Legend Fighting Championship 8

Prelims start at 4:00 AM PT / 7:00 AM ET, free on YouTube.com
Main card starts at 5:00 PM PT / 8:00 PM ET on pay-per-view

Bellator 63

Pre televised fights start at 4 PM PT / 7 PM ET, free on Spike.com and Bellator.com
Televised fights start at 5 PM PT / 8 PM ET on MTV 2, HD on Epix
Post televised fights start at 7 PM PT / 10 PM ET, free on Spike.com and Bellator.com

RFA 2: Yvel vs. Alexander

Starts at 6:00 PM PT / 9:00 PM ET, free on Sherdog.com

The Ultimate Fighter Live

Starts at 6:00 PM PT / 9:00 PM ET on FX

SATURDAY FIGHT SCHEDULE

ONE FC 3: War of the Lions

Starts at 5:00 AM PT / 8:00 AM ET, free on YouTube.com

Amazon Forest Combat 2

Starts at ~5:00 PM PT / 8:00 PM ET, free on RedeTV.com.br

Jungle Fight 37

Starts at 6:00 PM PT / 9:00 PM ET, free on ESPN3.com (Note: Must be an eligible ESPN subscriber)

WMMA 1: McCorkle vs. Heden

Starts at 6:00 PM PT / 9:00 PM ET on pay-per-view

SUNDAY FIGHT SCHEDULE

The Ultimate Fighter Brazil

Archive available at ~9:00 PM PT / 12:00 AM ET, free on TUF.tv

OTHER NOTABLE FIGHTS

Marcus Davis vs. Matt Lee (Saturday, Century Fighting Championship: Davis vs. Lee)
Dan Lauzon vs. Don Carlo-Clauss (Saturday, Century Fighting Championship: Davis vs. Lee)
Shamil Abdurahimov vs. Jerry Otto (Sunday, ProFC 40)

Heel

There's no way in hell I'm missing the WMMA card, but I really recommend you guys check out Jungle Fight this weekend. ESPN3.com usually keeps an archive. Some future killers on that card.

Adriano Martins - Bloody Elbow's #3 ranked LW prospect
Ildemar Alcantara - Bloody Elbow's #5 ranked MW prospect
Neilson Gomes - Bloody Elbow's #5 ranked LW prospect

Also, Wallid.

Heel

A few months back Frye got drunk at a party hosted by Xyience and tried to fight Jon Jones.

Hahaha.

Speaking of WMMA'ers fighting alcoholism, I read that MMA-GAF favorite Drew Fickett showed up drunk off his ass at the press conference. This is the week of the fight. Apparently Karo Parisyan had to carry him back to his hotel room.

This card is going to be amazing.

DKehoe

Speaking of WMMA'ers fighting alcoholism, I read that MMA-GAF favorite Drew Fickett showed up drunk off his ass at the press conference. This is the week of the fight. Apparently Karo Parisyan had to carry him back to his hotel room.

When Karo Parisyan has to be responsible for you things are bad.

Murilo Bustamante vs. Dave Menne on the Amazon Forest Combat 2 card.

In 2012.

Not joking.

Either that or Don Frye's fight with alcoholism on the WMMA card.
Bustamante is back? God damn he's like 45.

And wait, Don Frye is commentating for WMMA? I'm so there.

And Drew Fickett whawhawhawha?? loooool

2dsidcl.gif

Boogie

Sounds like how Chael will be backpedalling like a motherfucker if he loses to Anderson on his "I will leave MMA forever" deal.

Top Bottom