• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA |OT2| - Thread of Athletes, Fighters, Personalities, and Sports Entertainment

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Gravedigger winning the title would be such a great summation of the HW division -- a part-timer taking the title. I'd take the +450 or whatever on him pulling it off too.

Heel

AAYus.png

I was just telling my friend today that this season of TUF needs Junie Browning. The non fighting part is soooo boring this season.

And I don't know who'd be the best choice at this point to fight JDS but I wouldn't be too excited about Mir. I'd rather see top 10 HW Mark Hunt.

What the what.

You don't understand why steroids would make you a better fighter? Or are you trolling?
It doesn't improve skill. Like at all. Taking steroids isn't going to make you fight better. My friends that cycle for bodybuilding are never going to be able to beat me up because they cycle.

Skill matters more in a fight than strength. The reason Reem beat Brock wasn't because of his strength. It was because of his in ring IQ and game plan. He knew Brock was a power double guy that couldn't take a hit. So he came out with a wide stance and started throwing punches.

Anderson Silva beat a roided up Chael because he knew he had shitty sub defense. He played the waiting game because he knew this. He just waited.

It's used for recovery more than anything else. Athletes mostly use it after events to gain back what they lost while training. This goes for all sports. There is a reason athletes show up to training camps 15 pounds heavier than they were at the end of the season.

Roids don't make you a better fighter. They help your body recover from the three months of intensive training plus the fight you were just in. Most people that get caught usually just fuck up their cycle. This is also why so many of them get injured closer to fights.

How is he a cheater? Does steroids make him a better striker? Shit he's in the gym working harder than most of the people in the UFC.

Uhhh, perhaps he's a cheater because he knowingly tried to break the rules? He's also a complete idiot for doing that crap when he knew he was going to be random tested.

ugh, Overeem you're making decent coin. get Lance Armstrong's people on your side so I can watch you fight JDS you fucking asshole. if I am deprived of this heavyweight fight, I will be upset.

They real question is why is he on it now. He should have cycled off it few weeks ago like everyone else probably did.

My guess is he fucked up his cycle and was probably a week off of it.

They real question is why is he on it now. He should have cycled off it few weeks ago like everyone else probably did.

What's his excuse for the missing the test for the Lesnar fight then? Does he constantly fuck up his cycle? The guy has obviously been doing roids for years and getting away with it, at this point he thought he was invincible.

What's his excuse for the missing the test for the Lesnar fight then? Does he constantly fuck up his cycle? The guy has obviously been doing roids for years and getting away with it, at this point he thought he was invincible.
He had tickets booked two days before his assistant got the call. Why does everyone forget about that part of the hiring? It's like the whole reason they let him get a license.

Pretty convenient story when your juicing and don't want to take a test
Did you watch the hearing? He had to show proof when he got back to the states.

Anyways, Go back to your fake fighting thread. where you can talk about the glory days of the WWE. Reminiscent about all the times you hid in your mothers closet licking cream off of the crotch of your Brock poster.

TheNatural

My Member!

Anyways, Go back to your fake fighting thread. where you can talk about the glory days of the WWE. Reminiscent about all the times you hid in your mothers closet licking cream off of the crotch of your Brock poster.

HAHA wow.

Seriously though, what is up with wrestling thread people coming in here to protect Brock. People that only watched MMA (or didn't and just heard of it) because of him.

Anyone who watches MMA knows roids had absolutely nothing to do with Brock losing, but everything to do with Brock was just a super heavyweight fighting guys 30 pounds smaller than him when he won, and got tore up by anyone near his size with decent standup. No steroids change that shit.

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
Damn Overeem, disappointed but not surprising, I was really looking forward to the fight. Wonder who will get the nod now?

Your that hurt about this that you resort to childish name calling? Pathetic. Open your eyes! This guy had obviously been using for years. You just don't go from an average sized 205'er to looking like he did. I'm sad the fight is off, but happy this guy is finally exposed.

Your that hurt about this that you resort to childish name calling? Pathetic. Open your eyes! This guy had obviously been using for years. You just don't go from an average sized 205'er to looking like he did. I'm sad the fight is off, but happy this guy is finally exposed.
But he isn't "exposed"

T/e=/= roids.

yacobod

Banned
the funniest development of the post overeem steroid fallout is CaptFranca trying to claim taking steroids doesn't improve in cage performance.

TheNatural

My Member!
Funny thing is, I've watched all three major PPV "sports" (wrestling, MMA, and boxing) for a long, long time so I'm not bashing one over the other. But people from the wrestling thread coming in here or that weird bastard of a Lesnar thread in the OT to yell and shout about Lesnar sounds like a bunch of comic book fans arguing that Batman could beat up Spider-man or some shit.

Brock is done here, in MMA land. He had a nice spurt of a run, but the caliber of fighters he was fighting improved and he couldn't keep up. His whole career in a nutshell: he got a title shot over a 40 something year old Couture off a huge ass layoff and had a good 50 pounds on him and won the title. He evened up his loss to Mir, because he had a huge ass weight advantage on him. Carwin was just as big and beat the fuck out of Lesnar but wore himself completely dead doing it and Lesnar took advantage, luckily, for the fight not being stopped.

After that, lots of things changed, Cain destroyed him and Overeem destroyed him. And chances are, JDS would, a bigger Mir would in a third fight, Big Foot, Barnett, Courmier, Werdum all probably would now.

He was there at an opportune time after Randy destroyed Sylvia and left, brought a lot of popularity to the sport and new fans, and made a shitload of money himself. But the division has passed him by, so lets move on. To say anything otherwise than this, whoever is frontrunning for Lesnar, flat out doesn't know the sport.

GoutPatrol

Forgotten in his cell
Roids don't make you a better fighter. They help your body recover from the three months of intensive training plus the fight you were just in. Most people that get caught usually just fuck up their cycle. This is also why so many of them get injured closer to fights.

What part of BEING ABLE TO TRAIN MORE>>>>>>GET BETTER AT FIGHTING don't you understand?

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Dana can't be surprised. Sounds like he had a concern when he signed Overeem in the first place. Puts UFC in a terrible spot. You lost Brock, now you can't possibly put Overeem in the main event any time soon.

A shitty fighter isn't going to magically become the best by cycling.

So you think that training more has no effect on what happens in the octagon or are you just trolling? You think that faster recovery won't help in training? PEDs are an competitive advantage that is why they test.

yacobod

Banned
why are you guys having a serious debate with the other sports entertainment friends coming into the thread and trolling. they are getting revenge for the brock thread.

brock was fatally flawed as a fighter because much like tito ortiz he didn't like getting hit. and really their career arcs are very similar in that both fighters dominated underdeveloped divisions by being oversized wrestlers.

who knows if brock would have improved as a fighter over time though. his drumming of hw legend frank mir was very impressive at the ultimate 100. 2 bouts of diverticulitis and real long layoffs submarined his career. to say he was a bum or a bad fighter is being disingenuous. he walked in off the streets and won UFC gold and defended the title. not many people could do that.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)

It's the middle of training camp. The fight isn't until the middle of May. He's still a dumbass because they told him they would be randomly testing him.

TheNatural

My Member!
Also, I'm unsure what the claim about Overeem is specifically for the Lesnar fight. It's been brought up he skipped the country after the fight, but here it says he was tested twice prior to the event and then on the day of the fight.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/news?slug=mmaweekly-41ca03f1507a36b513641eb4285016c1

Overeem was drug tested twice prior to UFC 141, again on fight night, and must undergo two more post-fight tests over the next six months to satisfy the conditions set forth by the Nevada commission.

So I'm not sure exactly what the claim for the Lesnar fight would be. Ubereem probably said to himself he was going to lay off the juice for the fight because he doesn't need it, it's not like he was fighting someone who could do damage on his feet. And he probably didn't want to fuck around for his very first fight, and thought he could get back into his cycle for this one.

What part of BEING ABLE TO TRAIN MORE>>>>>>GET BETTER AT FIGHTING don't you understand?
It's not how much you train though. It's how you do it. GSP is considered special because he never stops training. Most of these dude only train for a few hours a day until four to three months out.

Roiding obviously has a great effect, otherwise so many people wouldn't do it. I just think they should cut the bull and legalize most of this shit. It's just science. It's scientific breakthroughs that allow people to train harder and be better athletes, we should be applauding that, instead of kidding ourselves into thinking that all "clean" athletes are doing nothing but eating steak and potatoes.

yacobod

Banned
A shitty fighter isn't going to magically become the best by cycling.

LOL.

So steroids and 50 pounds of lean muscle didn't make Overeem a better fighter?

And so I'm not accused of trolling. Would Dan Henderson be having the same success after 40 if he wasn't legally taking steroids under the guise of TRT?

The guys in the UFC are already the best fighters in the world competing in mixed martial arts. So all the guys are skilled at different disciplines. Why exactly wouldn't steroids make them fight better?

LOL.

So steroids and 50 pounds of lean muscle didn't make Overeem a better fighter?

And so I'm not accused of trolling. Would Dan Henderson be having the same success after 40 if he wasn't legally taking steroids under the guise of TRT?

The guys in the UFC are already the best fighters in the world competing in mixed martial arts. So all the guys are skilled at different disciplines. Why exactly wouldn't steroids make them fight better?

PEDs wouldn't be a multi-million industry if it didn't give you a huge advantage.

dream

Capt is wrong. At the very least, this raises questions about every one of alistairs fights since he started juicing.

Heel

Claiming PEDs don't help is almost as funny as claiming wrestling is real and a sport. Sports Entertainment GAF is the best.

yacobod

Banned
At the very least, this raises questions about every one of alistairs fights since he started juicing.

Calling can crushing exhibitions against bums likes of Gladiator Thompson, Gary Goodridge, Grim Rodgers, Fujita, and Todd Duffee fights is questionable.

TheNatural

My Member!
Roiding obviously has a great effect, otherwise so many people wouldn't do it. I just think they should cut the bull and legalize most of this shit. It's just science. It's scientific breakthroughs that allow people to train harder and be better athletes, we should be applauding that, instead of kidding ourselves into thinking that all "clean" athletes are doing nothing but eating steak and potatoes.

I don't agree, because if you let anything go, then you open the gates where just to be even with someone else you may have to put something potentially hazerdous for your long term health in just to be equal to the guy you're fighting. I don't want that.

If this were some sort of strict regime hitting some guys harder than others for miniscule things and bad timing it would be one thing. But the rules are ALREADY lax. They're about as weak as they get right now to the point of allowing it. 1 to 1 ratio is normal for a person, 6 to 1 is what Nevada allows, which is more lax than other states.

Overeem already had his slack with these rules. Maybe it was bad luck they caught him on a bad day, but that's his own fault. It's not like these rules are all that strict, a random test every once in a while, a test on fight night, it's not rocket science.

So I'll subscribe to Dana's theory that yeah, you're a fucking idiot, a fucking moron if you get caught because it's not like they're on everyones asses here. Otherwise they would be asking questions if it were even a little outside normal testosterone ranges. No different than the guy who smokes weed in the comfort of his own home compared to a guy driving around with a car full of smoke broadcasting it.

yacobod

Banned
Mr. Natural, if you are worried about fighters safety you wouldn't want them participating in human cock-fighting to begin with. Let's see how punchy Frankie Edgar is in 10-15 years.

cortizone shots are bad for you but Brett Favre and Curt Schilling are heroes for taking those in order to play. Lets not pretend we care about these guys' well being that much. And I'm not talking using back alley roids, but some stuff administered under a doctor's care can actually have a beneficial effect, yet it's considered bad and illegal.

TheNatural

My Member!
cortizone shots are bad for you but Brett Favre and Curt Schilling are heroes for taking those in order to play. Lets not pretend we care about these guys' well being that much. And I'm not talking using back alley roids, but some stuff administered under a doctor's care can actually have a beneficial effect, yet it's considered bad and illegal.

So get a TRT scrip, it's not that difficult. If Overeem is too dumb to get caught by lax rules it's his own fault. Then again, if everyone is doing it, and no one looks close to what Overeem looks like, that guy probably not only has back alley roids, but probably Elephant roids or something.

Top Bottom