• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA |OT2| - Thread of Athletes, Fighters, Personalities, and Sports Entertainment

Heel

Based off of Heel's work:

ajzrk.png

You are a wizard sir.

Nerd chat up yet?

Dysun

Looks like it's Nelson/Cain instead of Werdum or Bigfoot.

Terrible

Why does Nelson keep getting noteworthy fights? All he does is lose badly

dream

Look, I knew Chad Griggs was a terrible fighter all along but I'm still shocked at just how horrible he was there. Literally did everything wrong.

yacobod

Banned
link me you polish goon

check your PM

and the official event thread is so bad because you have all these drive by posters who don't watch mma, so they don't know what they are talking about.

most posts basically boil down to why don't you like JBJ as much as i do

Chamber

love on your sleeve
check your PM

and the official event thread is so bad because you have all these drive by posters who don't watch mma, so they don't know what they are talking about.

most posts basically boil down to why don't you like JBJ as much as i do

Our move to community was a blessing in disguise. Insular-GAF is where it's at.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Looks like it's Nelson/Cain instead of Werdum or Bigfoot.

Terrible

Why does Nelson keep getting noteworthy fights? All he does is lose badly

Nelson's carving out a decent niche of jobbing for the stars.

The lol-factor of him defeating Cain would be incredible.

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine
Oh man someone in the Jones thread pulled the Technical card. Said only dudes with sharp eyes for MMA could see it...

LOL just read that post.

Anyway just caught up on the card and some of my thoughts for our insular community:

-Gravedigger :( terrible way to showcase your lack of jits mang. DAT FLAILING. Still Uncle Dana or Tio Silva throw him some cans for interesting slobberknockers. I gots a soft spot for underdogs.

-Wonderboy geeze. Talk about lack of TDD.

-Haha at the Hybrid. Dude's chin/temple is so suspect. Also at that invisible man grabbing HAHAHAHA. I had Rothwell on this one, and can't lie was kind of sweating when he ate that weird spinning back elbow, but DAT LEFT which didn't look like much came through. Keep Rothwell around weeding out chumps in the HW division IMO. Definition of gatekeeper.

34g7rqrwrzl2.gif

-Poor Miguel AngHell Torres :( I bet he heard McDonald talking smack about changing his style, so he came aggressive. All according to Keikaku. During the fight you can see McDonald studied aggressive Miguel Anghell Torres and kept trying to land that inside uppercut in the pocket. Well, it worked out. Sucks for Miguel Anghell Torres, but I'm still a fan of the guy. Just hope that when he watches the tape that he notices McDonald just focusing on catching him with that inside uppercut and to watch out for that from now on. I also believe he was screwed over on the Mighty Mouse fight. FYI active sub attempts from bottom >>>>>>>>>>>> Rubbing your head on chest from top

-Everyone is hyping Rory to the high heavens, but I still believe he has more to prove IMO. Throw him against some top 10 Welterweights and if he is dominant than yeah the the crazy hype is more understandable. Or maybe he'll bust a George Sot aka one of the biggest hype train derails. I also don't think his demolition of Nate Diaz was anything special. Nate at 170 is like a baby Gap kid shopping at the regular Gap store. Basically undersized big time.

-I had Jones winning by TKO somewhere in the 1st 3 rounds, but was surprised with Evans surviving some of those hard rights and elbows especially with Evan's suspect chin. Got to give props to Evans for landing some of the hardest shots Jones has been hit with, but Jones made it look easy in there.

DKehoe

Overeem got pulled from the card because UFC found out that he was changing up his story about why he failed the test so realised he probably wasn't getting licensed.

His latest excuse? He failed because he was taking something for erectile dysfunction.

smurfx

get some go again
how come yacobod changed his avatar? you were supposed to wear it until brock lesnar won another fight in the ufc right?

yacobod

Banned
how come yacobod changed his avatar? you were supposed to wear it until brock lesnar won another fight in the ufc right?

i rather have a semi nude female, but i got this avatar instead.

but if you really know, brock lesnar returned to sports entertainment, and alistair overeem has been outed as being a cheater. vindicated.

ShaneB

Fuck Bones. Blah!

Other than that, fun card. Sad to see Hominick lose the decision after a hell of a brawl, but was glad to see other Canucks win, Bocek and Rory namely. Torres got absolutely rocked(something I wish I could say in the NHL thread.), Schaub is a glass.. well.. that's it I guess, he's glass, went down in a hurry. Prelims were decent as well, the Brown/Thompson fight was good, despite how unbelievably gassed they both were.

That pic looks straight out of a movie, at least the way every one is positioned.

You never been in a club/restaurant where they have a photographer going around taking pics? Usually those dudes take really good pictures. Only cheap places take those ones you see over exposed with a midshot of a group.

TheNatural

My Member!
We need to make a MMA drama chalkboard similar to "Sony exclusives" chalkboard that they had on the gaming side.

It's like it goes from one thing to another when an event ends. From Jones-Rashad to will Ubereem even have a license or job Tuesday and where the Silva-Sonnen fight will be.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
You never been in a club/restaurant where they have a photographer going around taking pics? Usually those dudes take really good pictures. Only cheap places take those ones you see over exposed with a midshot of a group.
Well what really made the picture for me was Machida's father on the right.

Heel

"I felt awkward and gangly" - Bones at post presser
"I was flat" - Shad at post presser
"It was a beautiful chess match" - Apologist

Overeem got pulled from the card because UFC found out that he was changing up his story about why he failed the test so realised he probably wasn't getting licensed.

His latest excuse? He failed because he was taking something for erectile dysfunction.

image.php

"I felt awkward and gangly" - Bones at post presser
"I was flat" - Shad at post presser
"It was a beautiful chess match" - Apologist

image.php

TheNatural

My Member!
I didn't think it was a great fight, but damn. I think Heel's poisoned some of you with BadMMA every week that you can't get any fight other than a Leonard Garcia brawl or ending in a quick KO. Bones hit some good shots and Evans didn't get dropped really for him to capitalize. It's not like it was the worst fight in the world, it was just a standard 'safe' defense.

I bet the fights on FOX next week are worse than this card actually.

Heel

I didn't think it was a great fight, but damn. I think Heel's poisoned some of you with BadMMA every week that you can't get any fight other than a Leonard Garcia brawl or ending in a quick KO. Bones hit some good shots and Evans didn't get dropped really for him to capitalize. It's not like it was the worst fight in the world, it was just a standard 'safe' defense.

I bet the fights on FOX next week are worse than this card actually.

Haha well I think there are technical fights and there is such thing as good fights that go to a decision. This was not one of them.

Something like Shogun vs. Machida was way more technical.

TheNatural

My Member!
Haha well I think there are technical fights and there is such thing as good fights that go to a decision. This was not one of them.

I agree. The undercard before Browne pretty much sucked, except for that second Facebook fight. And then the Bocek fight was horrible. But the rest was solid, not horribad. I think an event every week burns people out and makes them ADD for KO's and trading shots wars because it's on CONSTANTLY.

And plus, theres so many fighters and irrelevent fights that when someone wins you're just like 'wtf, ok what does this even mean?' Rothwell and Browne won, so what does that mean, they move up into the top 15 of HW's or something?

Dana should have created a 'middling heavyweight tourney' with all the guys stuck in the muck. Browne, Rothwell, Huntu, Nelson, Struve, etc. Have about 8 guys fight in a tourney to decide who gets a HW title shot at some point - but leave a couple of top contenders in the division open to fight for the title in the meanwhile.

It would at least give a little meaning to the division and actually give someone something to fight for.

Ya, or a fight like Diaz Conduit where there is clearly a struggle between styles, both guys are trying to execute a game plan and one guy is just doing it better. Idk what Shad and Bones were trying to do. Trying to not get hurt?

I enjoyed the Yagin Hominick fight.

TheNatural

My Member!
White declined to name Velasquez's new opponent but did confirm he'll remain on the card. And while he promised some shuffling of the evening's all-heavyweight main card, White said a Mark Hunt vs. Stefan Struve fight will remain intact.

yacobod

Banned

I think the issue is that we've seen in the past that Rashad's chin isn't the best. He got rocked badly in his fights with Thiago Silva and Rampage Jackson, and got stanky legged by Machida. JBJ has been a killer in all but one of his UFC fights, which was his debut. So yes the expectations are high. He fought a safe fight and kept the title, only time he really opened up was in the 2nd round when he had those nice elbows out of the patty cake offense.

No reason for everyone to make excuses for a tepid fight. We can call a spade a spade.

Top Bottom