• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA |OT2| - Thread of Athletes, Fighters, Personalities, and Sports Entertainment

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
dHWzk.png

To my friends and fans,

I am deeply saddened to announce that on Friday, April 20, I respectfully withdrew from the May 26 event so that I can request a continuance until my situation with the Nevada State Athletic Commission is resolved.

I cannot express how sorry I am to the Commission, Junior Dos Santos, the fans, the owners and employees of the UFC, my friends and family and anyone else who this has affected.

I absolutely do not believe in, nor do I use performance-enhancing drugs. I am a clean fighter and I will do whatever it takes to prove this to everyone.

Prior to the UFC 146 press conference in March, I aggravated an old rib injury on my left side. My doctor prescribed, and I accepted, an anti-inflammatory medication that was mixed with testosterone. I was completely unaware that testosterone was one of the ingredients in the medication. Although I was unaware, I do realize it is my job to know what I am putting into my body.

I respect the Nevada Commissioners and Executive Director Keith Kizer and what they are doing to keep
the sport of mixed martial arts regulated and safe for athletes. I look forward to working with them in the days and weeks ahead.

Friends and fans, I ask for your patience as I work through this matter. Please support me. I promise to return to the Octagon soon.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
I wonder if Overeem will tell us the name of this medication or provide us with his prescription, doctor's note, empty bottle, etc.

shoulda went with the ed defense

I would have went with that too. At least it would have garnered some sympathy and/or given us a good year or so worth of jokes.

Well, if the Reem really wanted to bullshit the commission he'd be using the TRT defense since its proven to work. So I'm inclined to believe him.

yacobod

Banned
I'd have a lot more respect for these guys if they just admitted what they were doing and apologized to the organization, media, and fans instead of playing dumb.

I took supplement or medication XXX that so happened to contain testosterone, I was not aware what I was ingesting or injecting into my body. Bitch please.

What's worse is the rubes like poly who believe it.

yacobod

Banned
Only until one of faves get busted.

My position on steroids has always been the same. I think for the most part all of these guys are cheating. That statement isn't limited to the realm of mixed martial arts, I'm including MLB, NBA, NFL, NHL, etc. Only naive people believe athletes performing at the highest level are clean, there is too much money at stake to believe otherwise.

The testing policy in place in the UFC is such that only the stupid fighters get caught roiding.

If you're too stupid to cycle your steroids properly, or for some unknown reason are ignorant to what supplements or medicine you are taking, shame on you. The rules are the rules, we can all wish we could get back in the Delorean and go back to PrideFC and the wild wild west of PED usage, but that ain't happening.

TheNatural

My Member!
I'm sure Shad spiked Bones water bottle with roids so he'll fail his test or something.

Overeem's excuse is a bunch of bullshit, but I was thinking about how easy it would be to totally fuck someone if you knew they were getting tested. Just slip them some shit in their water and ta-da: failed test.

dream

I have great difficulty accepting the fact that poly believes Overeem is a clean fighter who took tainted medication. I really have trouble accepting that anyone believes this.

edit: also, Overeem can't use the TRT defense because he'd have to explain how he suddenly came up with some condition in between January and March of this year.

rvy

Banned
I absolutely do not believe in, nor do I use performance-enhancing drugs. I am a clean fighter and I will do whatever it takes to prove this to everyone.

lol, come on... just admit it.

What's worse is the rubes like poly who believe it.
what's really worse is the cynics like yacob who just have this knee jerk "NOOO HE'S FULL OF SHIT HE'S ROIDING STICKING NEEDLES IN HIS ASS" without even entertaining the possibility that the athlete in question may actually be telling the truth.

yacobod

Banned
what's really worse is the cynics like yacob who just have this knee jerk "NOOO HE'S FULL OF SHIT HE'S ROIDING STICKING NEEDLES IN HIS ASS" without even entertaining the possibility that the athlete in question may actually be telling the truth.

If he's telling the truth, he could have presented his case to the commission along with his "evidence".

Waving his right to the hearing is basically an admission.

He should have gone with Ryan Braun's "I may or may not have herpes, but I probably have herpes, plus the guy who administered the test is a Brock Lesnar fan" excuse.

My position on steroids has always been the same. I think for the most part all of these guys are cheating. That statement isn't limited to the realm of mixed martial arts, I'm including MLB, NBA, NFL, NHL, etc. Only naive people believe athletes performing at the highest level are clean, there is too much money at stake to believe otherwise.

The testing policy in place in the UFC is such that only the stupid fighters get caught roiding.

If you're too stupid to cycle your steroids properly, or for some unknown reason are ignorant to what supplements or medicine you are taking, shame on you. The rules are the rules, we can all wish we could get back in the Delorean and go back to PrideFC and the wild wild west of PED usage, but that ain't happening.

Reem really needs to find guys that can teach him to cycle. He should have been off two weeks before the presser.

Yaco, I think you're right about Jackson having bones not put together combos. I rewatched the fight yesterday. Bones just doesn't set them up.

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
The good old tried and tested "The doctor gave it to me, I didnt know it had X in it"
Who knew Aspercreme contained Psilocybicin?

I'd have a lot more respect for these guys if they just admitted what they were doing and apologized to the organization, media, and fans instead of playing dumb.
No one is ever going to directly admit they were trying to cheat a sport while they're still playing the sport or directly involved in a sport because they know that doing so may lead to a permanent ban. Maybe after they've left the sport and they realize there's no legacy to tarnish or possibility of a Hall of Fame equivalent, they'll do so.

Heel

I think Jon Jones may have just beat out Machida as having the worst casual fanbase on GAF. The UFC 145 thread is a cesspool.

TheNatural

My Member!
I think Jon Jones may have just beat out Machida as having the worst casual fanbase on GAF. The UFC 145 thread is a cesspool.

Nah Sonnen riders are the worst. Willing to root for a guy with a ridiculously boring style, up there with Jon Fitch, because he has some gab.

Chamber

love on your sleeve

I don't know but there isn't a fighter that inspires more drive-by posting from UFC-GAF randoms than Bones. That's for sure.

yacobod

Banned

It really is, but it might be something unique to the realm of sports entertainment. In stick and ball sports, nobody would have an issue with me hating the Green Bay Packers or the Detroit Lions as a Chicago Bears fan. A Chicago Bulls fan in the 90s was encouraged to hate the New York Knicks or the Detroit Pistons. No respect offered or given.

The basement dwelling fanbase of ultimate fighting needs to get over the fact that people are going to like different fighters. Nobody has universal appeal.

here is a perfect example of somebody that needs to take JBJ's serpentine appendage out of his mouth before posting.

Jones beating ass again, GAF still crying and grasping at straws. Can't wait to see the unwarranted hype Hendo gets. Please GAF as I always beg of you post your Jones-to-lose bets. I don't care how decent Hendo has been on Chaelroids this is still a guy who got tooled by fucking Jake Shields.

:) :) :)

Heel

It really is, but it might be something unique to the realm of sports entertainment. In stick and ball sports, nobody would have an issue with me hating the Green Bay Packers or the Detroit Lions as a Chicago Bears fan. A Chicago Bulls fan in the 90s was encouraged to hate the New York Knicks or the Detroit Pistons. No respect offered or given.

The basement dwelling fanbase of ultimate fighting needs to get over the fact that people are going to like different fighters. Nobody has universal appeal.

Yep. As someone in this thread put it, this sport is no fun if you like everybody.

yacobod

Banned
No different that using the tired "nuts in the mouth", "nuthuggers", or other tired Sherdog phrases when someone actually likes how someone fights either.

The difference is it's easy to be a Frontrunner Scooter and be a JBJ and Lakers fan.

Like Lebron James being a NY Yankees, Dallas Cowboy, and Jordan ERA Bulls fan.

Who doesn't like to cheer for a winner. Especially when the outcome is inevitable.

The indignation of AstroLad coming into the thread trying to claim a piece of crow is completely fucking laughable. NOBODY predicted Rashad was going to win that fight.

TheNatural

My Member!
The difference is it's easy to be a Frontrunner Scooter and be a JBJ and Lakers fan.

Like Lebron James being a NY Yankees, Dallas Cowboy, and Jordan ERA Bulls fan.

Who doesn't like to cheer for a winner. Especially when the outcome is inevitable.

The indignation of AstroLad coming into the thread trying to claim a piece of crow is completely fucking laughable. NOBODY predicted Rashad was going to win that fight.

I agree, but it's no different than people who would have come in to dish out crow when they said nothing before hand if Rashad won.

Hell many people said "I don't think Rashad wins, BUT if he wins I'm going to come in and laugh my ass off and troll everyone that ever said a good thing about Jones."

You can't have it both ways. You can't call someone out if you're a frontrunner, just like you can't call someone out if you're too scared to say shit beforehand.

I will admit I would not have thought it would go to decision. I picked JBJ to win in 4th by tko on Sherdog and was surprised how safe he played it. I don't recall anyone predicting it would play out the way it did.

I don't really understand trolling people for predicting wrong, unless they were a complete ass about it.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
I agree, but it's no different than people who would have come in to dish out crow when they said nothing before hand if Rashad won.

Hell many people said "I don't think Rashad wins, BUT if he wins I'm going to come in and laugh my ass off and troll everyone that ever said a good thing about Jones."

You can't have it both ways. You can't call someone out if you're a frontrunner, just like you can't call someone out if you're too scared to say shit beforehand.

MMA-GAF regulars serve each other crow all the time. We pick on Heel for his Mendes pick or yacobud for his Lesnar pick. That's not the same as drive-by randoms (and AstroLad) trying to serve up crow for a pick that nobody made in the first place.

I will admit I would not have thought it would go to decision. I picked JBJ to win in 4th by tko on Sherdog and was surprised how safe he played it. I don't recall anyone predicting it would play out the way it did.

I don't really understand trolling people for predicting wrong, unless they were a complete ass about it.

Heel called it.

Top Bottom