• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA |OT2| - Thread of Athletes, Fighters, Personalities, and Sports Entertainment

I honestly couldn't remember who I picked for anything except the main event and Hapa, so the picks were inconsequential to my enjoyment of this UFC. Or lack of.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
I have to agree with my good frenemy dream. Picking the main card is ok but I can't be bothered with most of the undercards.

dream

Seriously, you end up picking Portuguese sounding names to win by sub, Dutch sounding names to win by KO, American meathead sounding names to win by decision, then you feel obligated to watch these god awful Legacy level prelims and just get all mad when nothing you predicted happens.

dream

David Meltzer raised a good point yesterday. All these "my doctor injected me with horse steroids by accident" excuses would hold more water if they led to lawsuits.

DKehoe

David Meltzer raised a good point yesterday. All these "my doctor injected me with horse steroids by accident" excuses would hold more water if they led to lawsuits.

Yeh, as Meltzer was saying if he doesn't sue whatever place gave him the medication then obviously something is up (which is already the case really).

DKehoe

Reem is already dead. 6 months is probably the best he could hope for right now.

Thats pretty optimistic. Also, Dana has said that once his suspension is up they will have him reapply for Nevada again. They won't be taking him overseas or to Texas to fight like they did with Chael.

TheNatural

My Member!
52245840.jpg

Heel

Well I for one am glad Junior Dos Santos will be fighting Frank Mir, a guy who put on 20 pounds of muscle overnight thanks to hard work and dedication in the gym, faster than Overeem ever could by cheating. The purity of the sport is sacred to me.

lol

MMA journalism and gaming journalism: the race to the bottom. Ugh, I can't believe I watched this shit for 15 minutes and now I have to leave before I get to hear the decision.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Well I for one am glad Junior Dos Santos will be fighting Frank Mir, a guy who put on 20 pounds of muscle overnight thanks to hard work and dedication in the gym, faster than Overeem ever could by cheating. The purity of the sport is sacred to me.

lol

Get rid of the entire HW division.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke

lol

thats a damn good point , I had forgotten that

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
Apparently first ballot hall of famer Wanderlei Silva is overrated and never had an aura of invincibility. I had no idea.
Or Lyoto Machida until Shogun 2
Cro Cop in PRIDE
Rashad Evans until Lyoto.
Urijah Faber until Mike Brown
Chuck Liddell (Until Rampage broke him the second time)
Tito Ortiz when he wasn't fighting Handy or Chuck.
Fedor Emelianenko.
Georges St. Pierre.
BJ Penn when he wasn't fighting GSP
Shogun in PRIDE
Rich Franklin until the first fight where Anderson Silva really got noticed.
Anyone with the last name Gracie.

There's a lot of people who "couldn't be beaten" or could only be beaten if they were "had mono" got caught by a "flash knockout" or "had to fight in ring/cage", depending on when their star was rising.

Eventually, someone figures them out. Or they get old. Or they don't evolve. Or a combination of the three. The different divisions get more or less interesting as their talent evolves. Boxing does this same shit.

In a sport where anyone can lose there are very few fighters who ever have developed an aura in MMA. I can probably count the number of guys who had anything close to what you could call an aura on one hand. Wand is one of those.

Facts, brah.
Many FotM folks have been "unstoppable" until they were actually stopped. Hell, at one time people thought Gina Carano had no possible competition... until Cyborg ran her out of town.

Top Bottom