• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA |OT3| When you lose you're a can, when you win you're unstoppable.

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
Yeah I don't go to BE anymore since they started including borinxing and WWE stuff. I just come here now. At least it's funnier here lol.

And those comments, my god. The WWE PG era ladies and gentleman. A bunch of smalltown america fat ladies, old men, and kids.

Kids who don't yet know it's fake, and old people who have forgotten, if they've ever known, that it's fake. Fantastic!

If you want to build new stars on FOX, how about have the winners return for the next FOX card? There's no progression to their build. Putting #1 contenders fights on FOX and sending them to title fights on pay-per-view is too short of a progression.

Preach.

If Dana has got such a hard on for never ending title rematches in the LW div, why cant we see Diaz Pettis on the next fox card?

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
These FOX cards are nothing but a bunch of should'ves we can see a mile away. Dana and Joe are slacking if we're making better matches.

TheNatural

My Member!
I just read the Armageddon news about the horrible ratings (a 1.6?!? that's WCW Saturday Night territory!) and read misinformed comments from MMA sites comment pages saying it was because of Mayweather, Avengers, Cinco De Mayo, no marketing of the card or the fighters, or hell maybe it was the supermoon.

This is pretty easily explained with what everyone here knows, and that's with this FOX deal there are way, way too many cards and Dana is thrusting guys into the spotlight who haven't been properly built up on the undercards of major PPV's. Zuffa doesn't seem to grasp this simple concept.

The perfect example is on the Mayweather card you had this 21 year old prospect with a belt fighting on the undercard against an all time great who's over the hill. Alvarez destroyed Mosely on a card that had near two million buys and several million people watching. If you take that same fight and God forbid, try to put it on a PPV of it's own, or on it's own HBO card with another similar marginal fight as an attraction - you probably have about 50,000 TV's tuned in to that. Maybe less, just seeing the non factor the Marquez and Rios dual card was a few weeks ago.

But that's basically what Zuffa is doing. All these guys who would have been watched on a major card are being siphoned off as main events of their own card. That doesn't get them more exposure, it gets them less. People just don't tune in to see that because they haven't been built up. Diaz-Miller should have been on the undercard of a bigger PPV, not main eventing it's own card. Same with Zombie-Poirier coming up. These guys should be stacking a bigger card and getting the rub off of established guys.

Maybe eventually they'll get why ratings didn't do well, and probably won't do well in future cards looking at the lineup. If Zuffa wants to throw me a few grand I'll explain this simple concept to them.

Heel

Silver KO's Legal NY Ultimate Fighting This Round

The source said after eight people had spoken in favor of legalizing MMA and eight against, Silver called on members who don’t support the bill to raise their hands. About 25 members did.

Then he asked for a show of hands of those who support it before saying that it looked even, the source said.

An upstate member who supports the measure complained it didn’t look even to her, the source said. When Silver asked what she wanted, a city Democrat joked, a “slow roll call.”

The speaker took another informal vote, with 25 again raising their hands against. The “ayes” seemingly had more than 60, the source said.

Silver then said others had expressed opposition privately and that the votes weren’t there to move the bill.

A “very, very disappointed” Marc Ratner, vice president of the Ultimate Fighting Championship, said he was looking for was an up-or-down vote.

“I feel 150% if we had a vote on the floor of the Assembly we would win,” Ratner said. “Not to get a vote is un-American.”

heEtn.gif

Heel

This is pretty easily explained with what everyone here knows, and that's with this FOX deal there are way, way too many cards and Dana is thrusting guys into the spotlight who haven't been properly built up on the undercards of major PPV's. Zuffa doesn't seem to grasp this simple concept.

That's a bingo. You guys think the ratings would be this abysmal if they put together a stacked card? Bork pls. The competition is not to blame.

As dream might say, who the fuck is Lavar Johnson? He had one fight on a UFC undercard prior to this. The only way to salvage this booking is to keep Lavar on FOX now that he's been seen knocking someone's head off. The sad thing is you can almost guarantee they'll send him straight to a main card on pay-per-view.

The UFC has no idea how to build new stars. Think more long term and let these guys build some sizzle. Then you send them to pay-per-view.

yacobod

Banned
I'm just annoyed that Bloody Elbow is running endless articles providing updates on Brock's WWE storylines.

Brock has more charisma and drawing power than the entire combined UFC Roster. That's why Bloody Elbow is still covering him, and Brock draws more hits in MMA-OT for his WWE appearances than these half-assed Zuffa Ultimate cards.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Brock has more charisma and drawing power than the entire combined UFC Roster. That's why Bloody Elbow is still covering him, and Brock draws more hits in MMA-OT for his WWE appearances than these half-assed Zuffa Ultimate cards.

Brock has the charisma of a pencil sharpener, other than that you're right though. Bad move to use Fox time to push inconsequential fights.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Brock has the charisma of a pencil sharpener, other than that you're right though. Bad move to use Fox time to push inconsequential fights.

Truth. Brock wouldn't have been a draw in the UFC if he wasn't a former WWE Champion with a built in fanbase. He, himself, is about as interesting as sandpaper. All the talk about his charisma is way off.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
That's a bingo. You guys think the ratings would be this abysmal if they put together a stacked card? Bork pls. The competition is not to blame.

As dream might say, who the fuck is Lavar Johnson? He had one fight on a UFC undercard prior to this. The only way to salvage this booking is to keep Lavar on FOX now that he's been seen knocking someone's head off. The sad thing is you can almost guarantee they'll send him straight to a main card on pay-per-view.

The UFC has no idea how to build new stars. Think more long term and let these guys build some sizzle. Then you send them to pay-per-view.

You and TheNatural are both making way to much sense..

dream

The irony is I actually knew who Laverne Johnson was because Strikefarce did a great job at building up his character as some sort of East LA gangbanger.

Boogie

Oh yeah?

Will Smith has bucketloads of charisma too. Should Bloody Elbow start spamming their site with articles about his upcoming movies?

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine
The irony is I actually knew who Laverne Johnson was because Strikefarce did a great job at building up his character as some sort of East LA gangbanger.

Do you now? LOL

Anyway i agree with the whole UFC not building up their fighters.

Bellator does a way better job of building fighters. I know Bryan Baker survived cancer. How could you not at least root for the guy fighting after dealing with that.

Do you now? LOL
If you haven't realized by now that dream's gimmick is to not remember the real names of most fighters and only know them by their nicknames, and even pretend not to know who a fighter is just to point out how insignificant he is, then I don't know what to tell you.

Do you now? LOL

Bellator does a way better job of building fighters. I know Bryan Baker survived cancer. How could you not at least root for the guy fighting after dealing with that.
Both of these examples had pretty good pieces done on them by Inside MMA too so HDNet did help with both of them.

Heel

Oh yeah?

Will Smith has bucketloads of charisma too. Should Bloody Elbow start spamming their site with articles about his upcoming movies?

Is Will Smith a former undisputed UFC heavyweight champion of the world and now working in a related Sports Entertainment arena and also drive traffic thus driving ad revenue which is the whole purpose of putting up articles yes or not.

dream

If you haven't realized by now that dream's gimmick is to not remember the real names of most fighters and only know them by their nicknames, and even pretend not to know who a fighter is just to point out how insignificant he is, then I don't know what to tell you.

It's really not a gimmick. How is anyone supposed to know who these joes are when they're all the same?

ShaneB

Do you now? LOL

Bellator does a better job because of the tournament format, these guys fight fairly consistently. There is a clear progression to follow. You know what happens when guys win. Unlike the UFC where it's basically come down to winning = good, losing = bad. It's not like there are points ladders where rankings are actually standard and it's whatever Dana says is for a title shot.

Also, UFC lets fighters sit out and pick their own fights so each division becomes a clusterfuck.

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine

I know his gimmick, especially by now.

Just the part where he says he knows Lavar and then preceded to misspell his name cracked me up.

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine
Yeah that's fucking bullshit. They should have pulled Poirier from his fight with Jung.

Both Poirier and Hioki have gone on record that they want more tune up fights before facing Aldo.

With that said, I wouldn't count Koch out, but he is coming back from injury to fight Aldo.

dream

I legitimately have no idea who Erik Koch is. I'm sure I've seen him fight, as I watch a lot of Ultimates, but it probably just got lumped in with all the mediocrity.

As my good friend yacobod recently said to me in one of our long, intricate, complex, and warm private discussions, perhaps this form of sports entertainment really has passed us by.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Franko Trigg on Fyodor

"A lot of my stories are usually weird stuff from after parties that you really can't talk about but going to Japan a lot you really learn about a lot of different people. You see Jake Shields over there all the time, you see Gilbert Melendez over there all the time and it's just a weird situation when you're in this foreign land with all of these Americans but the most interesting thing was drinking vodka with Fedor. [We] are sitting there in the hotel bar and we're talking and we're having a great time and all of a sudden I realize that this fool speaks English.

I was like ‘Come on man, you're really going to pull this?' It's not good English or clear English but you can definitely understand it enough to talk to him. He was just like ‘Nah, I don't like doing it because I don't feel comfortable on the microphone' and we were just talking for five minutes in a straight English conversation without a translator. Then he goes ‘You know it's funny' and I go ‘What's that?' and he says ‘The more you drink vodka, the better you think your Russian is.' That was when I first started realizing how the world works."

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Let's be honest though. Who the fuck is Erik Koch and why is he headlining a fucking PPV?

Doesn't matter. When you're fighting Aldo, your only job is to get knocked out in as entertaining a fashion as possible. Erik Koch will do just fine.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Doesn't matter. When you're fighting Aldo, your only job is to get knocked out in as entertaining a fashion as possible. Erik Koch will do just fine.

Skeletor and the Canadian jobber did a fine job then since they didn't get knocked out by him.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Let's be honest though. Who the fuck is Erik Koch and why is he headlining a fucking PPV?

I just had to Wikipedia him myself. Two fights in the Ultimate. One of which was a prelim.

Even in his four fights in the WEC he only had one main event fight.

Featherweight is such an empty weight class.

TheNatural

My Member!
bzzzzt wrong

Bzzt right.

"On November 19, Chavez faced Peter Manfredo Jr in Houston. The fight drew a 2.66 rating for males 18-49, and 1.5 million viewers total.

Two things to keep in mind here: Chavez vs Manfredo was paired with the Pacquiao vs Marquez III replay, meaning it may have received a little bump from that fight airing. Usually, the major pay-per-view replays do pretty decent numbers, and that was a much-talked about fight that entire week."

http://www.badlefthook.com/2011/12/...s-julio-cesar-chavez-jr-hbo-boxing-tv-ratings

Keep the boxing little penis syndrome to its own thread anyway, it's not needed or wanted here. It's no large surprise that boxing is still big in Hispanic communities, doesn't mean anyone else cares about it outside of Mayweather and Pacquaio.

Baby Milo

Bzzt right.

"On November 19, Chavez faced Peter Manfredo Jr in Houston. The fight drew a 2.66 rating for males 18-49, and 1.5 million viewers total.

Two things to keep in mind here: Chavez vs Manfredo was paired with the Pacquiao vs Marquez III replay, meaning it may have received a little bump from that fight airing. Usually, the major pay-per-view replays do pretty decent numbers, and that was a much-talked about fight that entire week."

http://www.badlefthook.com/2011/12/...s-julio-cesar-chavez-jr-hbo-boxing-tv-ratings

Keep the boxing little penis syndrome to its own thread anyway, it's not needed or wanted here. It's no large surprise that boxing is still big in Hispanic communities, doesn't mean anyone else cares about it outside of Mayweather and Pacquaio.

Canelo fought the week before and drew the same numbers and they both fight several times a year. but ill leave yall to your wrestling discussion lol

Top Bottom