• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA |OT3| When you lose you're a can, when you win you're unstoppable.

Heel

So you read battle royale first right?

I watched the movie. I take it the book is better?

image.php

LOL. Thank you Scooter, I needed that.

Heel

This thread is hilarious for reasons we will discuss later. I'm sure half of you know what I'm getting at.

The movie is crap. The book is much better.

The thing is I'm not really driven to read a book after I've seen what generally happens. Same reason I'm not jumping to read Game of Thrones even though I know the book series is supposed to be great.

FACE

Banned
I had planned to read the Gibson story at lunch today but got busy and ended up working through half of my lunch and then just wanted to relax and not read. I'll try to read it tomorrow.

TheNatural

My Member!
TheNatural brings Motion to Pass Statute 376.51 to the MMA OT. Aforementioned Statute states:

In no, way, shape, or form should anyone reference, link, or post any threads in regards to the following: hentai, homoerotic anal sex, male masturbation peripherals, Timedog related posts, or anything resembling likeness of all of the above.

Statute 376.51 is now up for votes, speaker may I hear those who vote yay?

How about we acknowledge Pitbull Barao's book club selection? Add Life of Pi to the shelf dream.

No need for the guilty conscience, friend. This is not about you or your love of ass play. That ship has sailed.

Oh there are some things from that thread we must discuss.

Heel

TheNatural brings Motion to Pass Statute 376.51 to the MMA OT. Aforementioned Statute states:

In no, way, shape, or form should anyone reference, link, or post any threads in regards to the following: hentai, homoerotic anal sex, male masturbation peripherals, Timedog related posts, or anything resembling likeness of all of the above.

Statute 376.51 is now up for votes, speaker may I hear those who vote yay?

Motion denied.

Let's get the ball rolling then. Must we cower in the shadows like a bunch of women. We are above the law.

I refuse to fall victim to rape culture on NeoGAF. So many of our brothers' dead bodies lay in its wake.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Looks like Brendan Schaub is looking for a fight with Lavar "Big" Johnson. You would think the Hybrid would learn to to fuck with anybody with the name "Big" as he got KTFO by Big Country, Big Nog and Big Ben.

I would put Schaub against World of Morecraft (if he's still around.) It's essentially a loser-gets-cut fight, with the winner getting the esteemed position of entry-level gatekeeper to the HW division.

Heel

Showtime Sports Boss Wants to See UFC Champ vs. Strikeforce Champ Superfights, Denies Fighter Exclusivity List

I can't help but think his denial is for some kind of legal reason. I mean, would the Strikeforce deal have gone through if the roster was completely gutted? It's pretty clear that the new Strikeforce deal hinged on some stars remaining on the roster. I doubt you could actually put that kind of thing down in writing, though. Fighters were used as bargaining chips and are being paid well for it.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
The very idea of these superfights cheapens UFC belts. That and Strikeforce actually needs champions first.

I have an idea for reinventing Strikeforce. It's basically about making Strikeforce the "Second Division" to the UFC's "First Division." The very top fighters are in UFC - no more than say 6-7 per weight class. This includes the champion and guys that are within easy contention for the championship. However when one a guy loses too many - OR - loses a title shot they get relegated to Strikeforce.

Strikeforce, in this setup, would follow a Bellator model of tournaments, with the winner being promoted to the UFC.

This way you could run a healthy non-saturated UFC model with purely top contenders, and at the same time give Strikeforce the reinvention it badly needs. It would also breathe new life into both the UFC and Strikeforce and help fighters in promoting themselves and would allow them to be easier ranked.

Just an idea. I know that promotion/relegation models are kinda alien to Americans though.

TheNatural

My Member!
Motion denied.

I refuse to fall victim to rape culture on NeoGAF. So many of our brothers' dead bodies lay in its wake.

Too late. I'm bringing this motha fucka down now.

With MMA OT hero Phil Collins. $0.99 for his greatest hits on Amazon here:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001RHPJBU/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Oh make that free, with $2.00 free Amazon MP3 credit:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.ht...slicinc-20&tag=slicinc-20&docId=1000815541#gc

Then you can use the remainder on this hit single:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000VRPFS4/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Don't say I've never did anything for you guys.

Heel

Too late. I'm bringing this motha fucka down now.

With MMA OT hero Phil Collins. $0.99 for his greatest hits on Amazon here:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001RHPJBU/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Oh make that free, with $2.00 free Amazon MP3 credit:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.ht...slicinc-20&tag=slicinc-20&docId=1000815541#gc

Then you can use the remainder on this hit single:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000VRPFS4/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Don't say I've never did anything for you guys.

Hahaha, the slickest of deals.

Approved alternate. DAT HOOK.

Heel

OK bought Phil Collins. I just need a new album to add to this threads mantra for a dollar or under.

Friend, I think we should host an 80's soundclash with our MMA-GAF brothers.

Cheesy love songs vs. cheesy thrash metal

Who do you ride for? A line must be drawn in the sand.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Showtime Sports Boss Wants to See UFC Champ vs. Strikeforce Champ Superfights, Denies Fighter Exclusivity List

I can't help but think his denial is for some kind of legal reason. I mean, would the Strikeforce deal have gone through if the roster was completely gutted? It's pretty clear that the new Strikeforce deal hinged on some stars remaining on the roster. I doubt you could actually put that kind of thing down in writing, though. Fighters were used as bargaining chips and are being paid well for it.

What's pretty crazy is that none of these guys locked into Strikeforce are actually stars who draw money. Melendez/Masvidal pulled a $155,000 gate, Rockhold/Jardine pulled $68,000. Melendez/Thomson III was on the same card as the HWGP Final and still only pulled $225,000.

Nobody is paying to see these people, nobody is watching on Showtime and interest is declining more and more. What's the point of this deal?

TheNatural

My Member!
I think it's mandatory to air drum the part in "In the Air Tonight" where the music picks ups.

Some strangers to you and me ...

BA DUM BADUM BADUM BADUM DUM DUM

SteveWD40

The very idea of these superfights cheapens UFC belts. That and Strikeforce actually needs champions first.

I have an idea for reinventing Strikeforce. It's basically about making Strikeforce the "Second Division" to the UFC's "First Division." The very top fighters are in UFC - no more than say 6-7 per weight class. This includes the champion and guys that are within easy contention for the championship. However when one a guy loses too many - OR - loses a title shot they get relegated to Strikeforce.

Strikeforce, in this setup, would follow a Bellator model of tournaments, with the winner being promoted to the UFC.

This way you could run a healthy non-saturated UFC model with purely top contenders, and at the same time give Strikeforce the reinvention it badly needs. It would also breathe new life into both the UFC and Strikeforce and help fighters in promoting themselves and would allow them to be easier ranked.

Just an idea. I know that promotion/relegation models are kinda alien to Americans though.

I have said the same thing, I was convinced that's why the UFC bought them in fact, to set up a "feeder league" for the UFC.

Drop 3 fights? back into the B league but at least you know you still have a future, win your way back into the UFC.

With Dana's talk of expanding into China, India and other markets they NEED more fighters, you only need to look at 149 to see what injury's can do to a card, but on the other hand they need to keep cutting guys to make the UFC seem "premier", it's like two conflicting realities.

What's pretty crazy is that none of these guys locked into Strikeforce are actually stars who draw money. Melendez/Masvidal pulled a $155,000 gate, Rockhold/Jardine pulled $68,000. Melendez/Thomson III was on the same card as the HWGP Final and still only pulled $225,000.

Nobody is paying to see these people, nobody is watching on Showtime and interest is declining more and more. What's the point of this deal?

I thought Strikeforce had pretty good ratings. Wasn't that why Showtime wanted to keep it going?

FACE

Banned
fine purveyors of vintage 80s thrash metal like young pitpull and i can also appreciate the wonders of classical music. i seen a stirring performance of ludwig's ninth at the CSO 2 years ago, but i must admit my favorite is the 7th.

The classy third party was the thrash Metal brigade!

shyamalantwist.jpg

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
Would you believe a man who champions Bad MMA actually has some standards?
No. Not really.

I honestly see these warnings as personal challenges.

The thing is I'm not really driven to read a book after I've seen what generally happens. Same reason I'm not jumping to read Game of Thrones even though I know the book series is supposed to be great.
I like Game of Thrones as a book and as a series, for much different reasons. The TV show is visually masterful and has very good cinematography, even when it's being pruient. For the books... originally, I approached the books like I would any other fantasy series and I found myself lost in all the different characters, viewpoints, and schemes. When I backed off of it and reapproached them as like Russian novels, it was a bit easier to get a handle on. It's really not anything I'd experienced in a fantasy book series short of maybe the first three Dune books... before Frank Herbert went batshit.

You know, I like this idea, and it's a way I thought they were going to go with the WEC, but at the end of the day, I think personalities like Scott Coker and Showtime's management may take it as a personal affront if they officially make Strikeforce or another organization into the UFC Bush League, even if that's the purpose they ultimately serve.

Top Bottom