• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA |OT3| When you lose you're a can, when you win you're unstoppable.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
And Allistair and Valenjn Overeem - they got in big bar fights too. I think Allistair says thats how he got the scar.

The biggest drawback of being a well-known fighter. All the betas in the pub/club want to take a swing at you to prove themselves. You don't even have to be a fighter - I get that shit occasionally just for being tall.

You don't even have to be a fighter - I get that shit occasionally just for being tall.

Being 6'4" 225 I've worried about this being the case (since I'm by no means a fighter) but thankfully in my experience I feel its mostly been a deterrent for other people to try anything with me.

industrian

Being 6'4" 225 I've worried about this being the case (since I'm by no means a fighter) but thankfully in my experience I feel its mostly been a deterrent for other people to try anything with me.

Yeah, 90% of the time it's a deterrent. And a shield. I can't count the number of times that my physical presence has given me a bye to do stupid shit when I'm in a bar/club with my friends.

But I'm actually quite a calm and composed person.

ShaneB

Posted this in the fitness thread, but it's going to get overlooked I bet, figure maybe someone has an answer here.

"First time I've posted in this thread in a while, but need some advice. Went trail running for the first time in a long time last weekend. Ended up really hurting my feet, and what I later figured out to be my Achilles Tendon.

It doesn't really hurt as much as it did, but I'm definitely still have issues walking and pretty much shuffling around at work here like an old man. Should I be concerned more than I am and get to a doctor(I really dont want to), or is it just an issue of needing time and taking it easy and it'll get better with time"

industrian

Check to see if the padding on your running shoes is still there. If not, buy a new pair.

Run on the front of your feet.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Posted this in the fitness thread, but it's going to get overlooked I bet, figure maybe someone has an answer here.

"First time I've posted in this thread in a while, but need some advice. Went trail running for the first time in a long time last weekend. Ended up really hurting my feet, and what I later figured out to be my Achilles Tendon.

It doesn't really hurt as much as it did, but I'm definitely still have issues walking and pretty much shuffling around at work here like an old man. Should I be concerned more than I am and get to a doctor(I really dont want to), or is it just an issue of needing time and taking it easy and it'll get better with time"

Its probably inflamed. If it gets worse you should def go to a doctor. Its free you canadian.

ShaneB

Check to see if the padding on your running shoes is still there. If not, buy a new pair.

Run on the front of your feet.

Thanks for the running shoe advice, but I am aware they are awful :p Just haven't done that sort of running in a long time. My gym cardio generally sticks to the low impact stuff.

Its probably inflamed. If it gets worse you should def go to a doctor. Its free you canadian.

Guess I'll be doing nada this weekend and just relaxing, if it still hurts, I'll go to a doctor on Monday.

FACE

Banned

There are paid professionals that can offer an accurate diagnostic of your condition. They're called doctors, go visit one.

TheNatural

My Member!
There are paid professionals that can offer an accurate diagnostic of your condition. They're called doctors, go visit one.

Key point there is paid.

Ride is out SB. I used to run all the time, even hurt my Achilles pretty bad. You pretty much can't make it any worse if it's hurt, so may as well ride it out.

industrian

Thanks for the running shoe advice, but I am aware they are awful :p Just haven't done that sort of running in a long time. My gym cardio generally sticks to the low impact stuff.

Guess I'll be doing nada this weekend and just relaxing, if it still hurts, I'll go to a doctor on Monday.

Three years ago whilst doing heavy HIIT work I felt a rather constant pain in my right achilles (and what I would call a "feeling that something was about to tear.") I talked to my doctor who gave me the shoe/front feet advice. It went away by itself after I adjusted the "impact" element of running and took it easy for the following few days.

Generally I don't run unless I'm under 230lbs though (my weight has ranged from 190-275 in the last two years.) It's too much for my knees. That and I consider running a stress response more than I do a form of recreational exercise - I'd much rather be cycling, swimming or doing fight training.

FACE

Banned
Key point there is paid.

Ride is out SB. I used to run all the time, even hurt my Achilles pretty bad. You pretty much can't make it any worse if it's hurt, so may as well ride it out.

Paid by the government. They have (mostly)free health care in Canada.

ShaneB

Key point there is paid.

Well as Gr1mLock pointed out, have the luxury of nice free healthcare in Canada, and I've got work benefits and all that, so the paid part isn't so much an issue. Just don't want to deal with all that hospital stuff if it's just a matter of waiting it out. Like I said, it's been just about a week now, so who knows.

Three years ago whilst doing heavy HIIT work I felt a rather constant pain in my right achilles (and what I would call a "feeling that something was about to tear.") I talked to my doctor who gave me the shoe/front feet advice. It went away by itself after I adjusted the "impact" element of running and took it easy for the following few days.

Generally I don't run unless I'm under 230lbs though (my weight has ranged from 190-275 in the last two years.) It's too much for my knees. That and I consider running a stress response more than I do a form of recreational exercise - I'd much rather be cycling, swimming or doing fight training.

Yeah, before I started going to the gym, I went running a lot because that's pretty much all I knew to do, and it was beating up my legs and knees, so yeah, I'm much comfortable with low impact stuff. Guess I'll just see how I feel come Monday.

FACE

Banned
Well as Gr1mLock pointed out, have the luxury of nice free healthcare in Canada, and I've got work benefits and all that, so the paid part isn't so much an issue. Just don't want to deal with all that hospital stuff if it's just a matter of waiting it out. Like I said, it's been just about a week now, so who knows.

Don't do that.

Heel

MANDATORY TACHI PALACE NERD CHAT TONIGHT.

BtheR.jpg

Come early for the tribal blessing!

If Vitor gets injured I bet Wand gets the shot. I think prime Wand would be a good style fight vs Jones, that is if he can use his main weapons. An IYF ballsy fighter. Thats why I find the Jones vs Sonnen fight so fascinating, cuz Sonnen will just be in his grill.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
If Vitor gets injured I bet Wand gets the shot. I think prime Wand would be a good style fight vs Jones, that is if he can use his main weapons. An IYF ballsy fighter. Thats why I find the Jones vs Sonnen fight so fascinating, cuz Sonnen will just be in his grill.

I really hope not. Im tired of watching wand get killed.

It's amazing on how many of you guys are counting out Palharris. Before the Belchar fight he was the scariest MW on the roster. I would love to see Palharris vs Bisping or Stann.

For that dude it was the night he got his ass beat by Renzo. For Renzo..it was tuesday.
The best part was the raccoon and choking him out three times while whispering "this is how it feels to die." Holy shit, that dude is never going to be the same again.

My friend torn his achilles tendon playing ball and didn't even know. Thought he sprained his ankle and was walking around and it didn't heal, so he went to the doctor and found out he torn the tendon. Never the same. Go to the doctor.

Of course if you were in the US, your doctor would feel it, give you ibuprofen and send you on your way even if you'd tore it. Then in a month when you're a cripple, you'd get an x-ray to see if you broke a bone.

industrian

Weidman v Boetsch at UFC 155

If Weidman wins this, I think he should be next in line for a title shot no matter what. Boetsch is still two away, injuries aside.

I would argue that both fighters need one more fight after this to challenge for the title.

And since Dana is trying to "rush" the Silva vs. GSP superfight ASAP I figure that the winner of Weidman vs. Boetsch will fight the winner of Bisping vs. Stann for No. 1 Contender. And if Silva vs. GSP falls through then I figure the winner of Bisping vs. Stann will be No. 1 Contender.

Regardless, UFC 155 is shaping up to be an awesome card. The final three PPVs of this year are all looking great.

Boestch f*ckng sucks. He had no business winning his last two fights. His opponents decided to have the most massive brain farts ever.

Why would Stann and Bisping be ahead of Weidman as #1 contender? Makes no sense.

Maybe but nobody really gives a f*ck about either. Weidman can be built up and made into someone more relevant than those two middle tier talents.

Vitor was plan XYZ

industrian

Maybe but nobody really gives a f*ck about either. Weidman can be built up and made into someone more relevant than those two middle tier talents.

Vitor was plan XYZ

Weidman needs to beat a name to get a name. Right now he's got zero drawing power.

Don't get me wrong, I'm on the Weidman Wagon, but he needs to leave no doubt in the back of Dana's mind regarding his contender status and ability to sell a fight. This is especially apparent when Dana is considering big-money fights such as Silva vs. GSP.

strobogo

Banned
The biggest drawback of being a well-known fighter. All the betas in the pub/club want to take a swing at you to prove themselves. You don't even have to be a fighter - I get that shit occasionally just for being tall.

A real beta would never try to have a bar fight with a well known MMA fighter.

Also, Heightism, bro.

Stop me guys... I found myself opening up to the woman that could have been called my first girlfriend. Its been like 13 years since we chatted like we did tonight.

Please stop me brothers.

Top Bottom