• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Modder removes PSN requirement for Ragnarok

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
PC gamers aren't a single entity but I'm not the one generalising here. This is what I replied to

And that simply is some grade A bullshit. They did not hate them all. "They" happily accepted it for many many games that weren't Epic or PS. He's using my example of Jedi Survivors and pointing to mixed rating as the scapegoat but that was never hated or review bombed for a login or a launcher, only performance. When you have examples like this

Screenshot-20240925-003614-Chrome.jpg

Screenshot-20240925-003629-Chrome.jpg

Or rockstars games, or Activisions games, or countless other examples you can tell it's bullshit.
>Release date: 2014

Yeah, that should prove your point alright.

Three

Forgive me for using the term normies in this post.

Maybe the consumers of games like The Sims, GTAs and CODs (normies) don't give a fuck about this stuff, but the consumers of games like God of War, Helldivers II or Earth Defense Force 6 (more hardcore gamers) do.

As I said, it's a mistake to generalise when it comes to this stuff, and the same could be said about the Gaiff Gaiff 's post you quoted there.
I think you're generalising by categorising into "normies" more than anybody has done here. God of war is played by "normies". Flight Sim, is that a "normies" game too?

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I think you're generalising by categorising into "normies" more than anybody has done here. God of war is played by "normies". Flight Sim, is that a "normies" game too?
I know it's a shitty term but come on, I think you get my point.

Three

>Release date: 2014

Yeah, that should prove your point alright.
What's that got to do with it? If anything it should be even more of an uproar since it would be retroactive. "Recent reviews" don't go back to 2014 either if you're saying the hate is a new trend. That's a daft excuse if I've ever heard one.

Last edited:

Gaiff

What's that got to do with it? If anything it should be even more of an uproar since it would be retroactive. "Recent reviews" don't go back to 2014 either. That's a daft excuse if I've ever heard one.
How long do you expect the review bombings to last? A whole decade? And I know you ain’t sitting here pretending that PC gamers of all people never had a problem with EA, a company once voted as the most hated one in America and equally despised by console gamer.

Also funny that GOT requires an account for online play but didn’t suffer from review bombing, yet you ignore that.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Sony even released their games on gog in the past...where it is basically a requirement to have NONE of this Denuvo/Anticheat/onlineonly nonsense. So if Sony wants to ever release again something on gog...they would need to patch out this stuff anyway.

But ofc they can also just try even harder as you pointing out.....just dont know if the situation becomes better than or even worse. Sony did everything instinctively right when they entered the PC...and now they wanna be one of these bad cocksucking corpos with bad reputation as well. I dont get it. And I dont get people (aka consumers) even cheering for this nonsense. :messenger_dizzy:

Well the obvious imperative for Sony is to encourage people into their online ecosystem; basically the way MS are moving makes it fundamentally unavoidable for them not to at least make an attempt at establishing themselves as more than just a software developer in the PC space.

Truth is I can see the argument from both sides, and I don't blame Sony for trying even if I cannot see how they can go in that direction without creating friction for themselves.

Three

How long do you expect the review bombings to last? A whole decade? And I know you ain’t sitting here pretending that PC gamers of all people never had a problem with EA, a company once voted as the most hated one in America and equally despised by console gamer.
Sims 4 came to steam in 2020 and reviews are from 2020 onwards not sure what bullshit you're getting at. I think you're really getting off topic there buddy. When have I said people loved EA?
Also funny that GOT requires an account for online play but didn’t suffer from review bombing, yet you ignore that.
I'm not the one claiming they hated all logins and launchers equally and used review bombing when they were powerless to remove it. I just made it clear that "PC gamers" were happy (at least majorities) with countless single player games that required a login and did not use review bombing to show "their" unhappiness with said requirements.

Last edited:

Gaiff

I'm not the one claiming they hated all logins and launchers equally and used review bombing when they were powerless to remove it. I just made it clear that "PC gamers" were happy (at least majorities) with countless single player games that required a login and did not use review bombing to show "their" unhappiness with said requirements.
Except they weren't, but how long do you expect a launcher to get bombed after getting introduced? Because I can guarantee you that the PS review bombings won't last forever, they will eventually become par of the course. The problem is that you framed your argument as if Sony was being treated unfairly. No, they aren't. Pretty much all of those guys got told to fuck off when they came in.

Three

Except they weren't, but how long do you expect a launcher to get bombed after getting introduced? Because I can guarantee you that the PS review bombings won't last forever, they will eventually become par of the course. The problem is that you framed your argument as if Sony was being treated unfairly. No, they aren't. Pretty much all of those guys got told to fuck off when they came in.
The Sims 4 came in with most of EAs games when they decided to came back to steam in 2019-2020. And no if you look at the review history there is no indication that they were told to fuck off in the reviews. They were very positive from launch onwards. I still don't understand your point about the game being from 2014 though but I suspect you don't really have one. You're just trying to dismiss this clear example of PC gamers being happy in the reviews.

Last edited:

laynelane

I think you generalise too much, and that you shouldn't talk about "PC gamers" as if it was a single entity.

Sure there's people that are ok with launchers of all kinds, but there also people that don't and they have they right to complain as much as they want or, in this case, mod the shitty corpo stuff out of the game.

I'm not on PC, but can't stand login requirements for games. I don't have access to mods like the one detailed in the op, so have simply settled for not purchasing any games that require them. It would be wonderful to see this type of bullshit modded out on a wider scale too - and that would be a natural consequence of the absolute refusal of game companies to listen to customers about this matter.

Last edited:

Wildebeest

Imagine spending any percent of your life being angry at people for not having a PSN account. Bu-bu-bu where do you keep your precious trophies?

Last edited:

Three

The Very Positive reviews overall? My only point was that even if they can't remove said requirements if they were truly unhappy about it what happened to using reviews to fight it? This is how I entered this thread:
What happened to using reviews to fight it? They were happy enough not to downvote the crap out of games that required it. Like Jedi Survivor.

Then Gaiff was pretending like they were when they clearly aren't.

Last edited:

Three

Key word. Where do they say one positive aspect of the game is the forced account?
What? Where did I or anybody say the account is some positive aspect? Though I'm sure some people will use saves, achievements etc across platforms and all that jazz as some positive. I don't see the relevance of this though. The majority were accepting of games with logins and launchers to give positive reviews is the point, not that they were pushing positive aspects of account registration.

Last edited:

ProtoByte

Weeb Underling
Sony doesn't need your weird ass licking their boots bruh
It's less about what it does for Sony and infinitely more about what it does for me as a PS user.

Porting to PC is one of the reasons Sony is lagging behind where they should be this gen. In terms of game quality/advancement, game release pace, value behind the console, etc. It's not up for debate. The sooner they get out of trying and failing to reach out to PC-only gamers, the better.

Three

For your moving goal points? Not really.
Nah, no moving goal "points". It's clear your reading comprehension sucks though

"were happy (at least majorities) with countless single player games that required a login"

Doesn't mean they were happy that the login was there. It means they were happy with the game overall even though it required a login. I even clarified this misunderstanding with you but you enjoy being a pedant.

Last edited:

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Nah, no moving goal "points". It's clear your reading comprehension sucks though

"were happy (at least majorities) with countless single player games that required a login"

Doesn't mean they were happy that the login was there. It means they were happy with the game overall even though it required a login. I even clarified this misunderstanding with you but you enjoy being a pedant.
Just like GOT players "overall" are happy with the game but not with the login. So your overall logic means nothing.

pudel

It's less about what it does for Sony and infinitely more about what it does for me as a PS user.

Porting to PC is one of the reasons Sony is lagging behind where they should be this gen. In terms of game quality/advancement, game release pace, value behind the console, etc. It's not up for debate. The sooner they get out of trying and failing to reach out to PC-only gamers, the better.

Its not our fault that Sony went full retard on GaaS games....we dont want them either! :messenger_winking_tongue: In the end Sony made roughly 800mio profit with their releases so far on PC. I am quite sure this money will also benefit you as a PS user.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife

So you saying that Sony is "lagging behind" not because of gigantic flops like Concord but because of the money they are making on Steam with ports that take almost 0 effort and are made by "side studios" like Nixxes or Jetpack?

I have to disagree.

ProtoByte

Weeb Underling
So you saying that Sony is "lagging behind" not because of gigantic flops like Concord but because of the money they are making on Steam with ports that take almost 0 effort and are made by "side studios" like Nixxes or Jetpack?

I have to disagree.
I said "one of the reasons".
And going off the Insomniac leak, I think saying "zero effort" is extremely liberal. Even if it was, free money today costs money tomorrow.

We've already done this dance with Xbox.

TintoConCasera

I said "one of the reasons".
And going off the Insomniac leak, I think saying "zero effort" is extremely liberal. Even if it was, free money today costs money tomorrow.
Maybe not zero effort, but the point I tried to made (badly lol) is that those ports don't take effort from the main studios. It's not Santa Monica who's porting the game to PC, so porting stuff to PC shouldn't affect the pace at which new games come out on the PS5.

That's true. But also I think the Xbox has bigger problems than having all it's games on PC.

Gaiff

The Sims 4 came in with most of EAs games when they decided to came back to steam in 2019-2020. And no if you look at the review history there is no indication that they were told to fuck off in the reviews. They were very positive from launch onwards. I still don't understand your point about the game being from 2014 though but I suspect you don't really have one. You're just trying to dismiss this clear example of PC gamers being happy in the reviews.
And why do you think they returned to Steam like Ubisoft did crawling back? Because a huge chunk of the PC population wanted nothing to do with their launcher and they were losing out on tons of customers. PC gamers by and large hated the EA launcher, so what are you even arguing there? That they loved it? Or should they have begun a review bombing campaign in addition to snubbing the launcher for years?

Sims is 10 years old. After a few years, the reviews will normalize and the review bombs will largely be buried by more positive reviews. Same thing will happen to GOWR. In 10 years, I can guarantee you the game will be either Very Positive or Overwhelmingly Positive. I hope you then won't act like Steam users never protested the PlayStation account requirement.

My point was that PC gamers hated every third-party launcher/account/login. This includes EA. Your retort is that after eschewing Origin for years, Steam users didn't go on a crusade against them. So no, your claim that they "happily" accepted EA is bollocks.

Gaiff

No, we haven’t. What killed Xbox was 10+ years of sheer mediocrity. They decided to port their games to PC because they weren’t selling enough on Xbox. Their decline began years before the PC initiative. In fact, the ports began as a response to save the brand from complete irrelevance.

You have it backwards.

Yep, but console gamers love pointing to those fake double standards they made up in their heads.

>$700 PS5 Pro
>PC gamers say it's too expensive
>But you guys weren't saying NVIDIA cards were too expensive

Except we fucking were lol.
But yall still buy them anyways lmao :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Gaiff

So then the example you listed isnt a fake double standard then :messenger_tears_of_joy:
Not sure what you’re implying. Players largely weren’t happy with the prices, but what are they supposed to do when it’s effectively a monopoly? See how horribly the Pro was received. How much you wanna bet it sells well anyway?

YeulEmeralda

Linux User
It's incorrect because you were basically saying that PC gamers were happy with the other logins, but not PlayStation. That's false. They hated all of them.

As for "capitulating", the others are DRMs. You can't remove them anyway. Ubisoft Connect, EA Play, the Activision login, Rockstar, etc. You cannot just bypass them, so there's nothing selective in there. If they could be easily removed, they would have been, but they can't.
I heard "from a friend" that Rockstar games are all cracked.

Three

And why do you think they returned to Steam like Ubisoft did crawling back? Because a huge chunk of the PC population wanted nothing to do with their launcher and they were losing out on tons of customers. PC gamers by and large hated the EA launcher, so what are you even arguing there? That they loved it? Or should they have begun a review bombing campaign in addition to snubbing the launcher for years?
This is again off topic but they returned because most of the audience was there. Nothing more, nothing less. When they came to Steam they had a launcher

Sims is 10 years old. After a few years, the reviews will normalize and the review bombs will largely be buried by more positive reviews.
Same thing will happen to GOWR. In 10 years, I can guarantee you the game will be either Very Positive or Overwhelmingly Positive. I hope you then won't act like Steam users never protested the PlayStation account requirement.
There was no review bombing past or present for Sims, what don't you get? It was mostly positive from launch on Steam till now. It only launched on steam in 2020 too with a third party launcher and it required third party login, so I don't know why you keep mentioning its age. It has nothing to do with anything.

Last edited:
Not sure what you’re implying. Players largely weren’t happy with the prices, but what are they supposed to do when it’s effectively a monopoly? See how horribly the Pro was received. How much you wanna bet it sells well anyway?
You used PS5 Pro as an example of a fake double standard (which would mean its not double standard btw lol) did you not?

I am assuming you actually meant double standard. So where is the double standard?

Top Bottom