• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monoprice 6ft HDMI cables - 99¢ each

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
No thanks. Best Buy sells them for $75, meaning they must be of way better quality.

SmokeMaxX

Yeah but does it have anti-virus protection?
17tx3242kvfl2jpg.jpg
http://gizmodo.com/5928934/is-there...eve-that-this-cable-has-anti-virus-protection

Digby

Neo Member
They used to be $100 10 years ago.

I think monoprice is also releasing a 34" 21:9 75hz monitor for $499. Which I'd waited... I spent 800 on my AOC that's only 60hz.

Reszo

ohh i forgot all about monoprice didnt get the hdmis but did buy like 5 usb mini cables for my ps4 controller and android for 78 cents each

Mystic654

I thought 2.0 doesn't require new cables and the Category 2 cables are good to go.

They don't unless you want to new features that were added to 2.0. you will not get the better color or framerate without new cables.

my DVR and new 4kTV are constantly fighting when I use 1.4 cables(Which are from Monoprice). Audio constantly drops out due to HDCP 2.2.

I know of only two HDMI 2.0 cables that will support all HDMI 2.0 an 2.0a features. That's the overpriced monster cables and equally expensive Fusion4k cables. They other HDMI 2.0 cables that are listed on amazon are not stable enough for 60 frame feature.

Only reason reason to buy monster is for Free Upgrade policy they use, When the next HDMI protocols are released monster will replace your current monster cables with new monster cables.

I have a 4k Splitter in the middle so I can't use Redmere or active cables.

To people who don't know. (Pretty much everyone here does it seems) there's 4 types of HDMI cords currently.

High speed with Ethernet.
High speed without Ethernet.
Standard speed with Ethernet.
Standard speed without Ethernet

There is no 1.4 cable or 2.0 cable. That's referring to the device's capabilities not the cable.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Can I play games at 4K@60FPS with these?

Maybe. In my experience, short cables are more likely to work at 4k even if they aren't rated that high. But they aren't rated for it, so there is a good chance they won't.

To people who don't know. (Pretty much everyone here does it seems) there's 4 types of HDMI cords currently.

There is no 1.4 cable or 2.0 cable. That's referring to the device's capabilities not the cable.

Oh, I thought it was actually the cable. Maybe I didn't need to spend that extra $5 then. Oh well.

Mystic654

Just need to make sure bandwidth is 18Gbps. Allot of monoprice cables only transfer at 10.2Gbps.

Ashhong

3$ with shipping..I just bought one from Amazon for 5$ too. Probably not worth the hassle of returning and reconnecting the cable. Oh well

Just need to make sure bandwidth is 18Gbps. Allot of monoprice cables only transfer at 10.2Gbps.

The HDMI.org link that was posted a moment ago said that old cables with a data rate of 10.2Gbps will be upgraded to 18Gbps when used with HDMI 2.0:

Can existing HDMI cables support the higher bandwidths of HDMI 2.0 Specification?
Yes, existing High Speed HDMI Cables (wire only) will support the new higher bandwidths (up to 18Gbps).

HDMI 2.0 specification defined a new, more efficient signaling method, for speeds above 1.4b limits (10.2Gbps), to allow higher bandwidths (up to 18Gbps) over existing High Speed HDMI Wire Cables.

http://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/hdmi_2_0/hdmi_2_0_faq.aspx#144

EDIT: And then they go on to say

Does HDMI 2.0 require new cables?
No, HDMI 2.0 features will work with existing HDMI cables. Higher bandwidth features, such as 4K@50/60 (2160p) video formats, will require existing High Speed HDMI cables (Category 2 cables).

Thanks op, gonna scoop some up.

Since I'm here, I need a new power cord for my PS3. Can anyone help me identify which type of cable that is?

Megatron

They used to be $100 10 years ago.

I think monoprice is also releasing a 34" 21:9 75hz monitor for $499. Which I'd waited... I spent 800 on my AOC that's only 60hz.

We bought some of their monitors at work. The idiots reverse the hdmi port so it's basically impossible to squeeze the release button to remove the hdmi cable (because you can't fit your finger between the release and the back of the screen). We had an employee break the port trying to disconnect the cable. What were they thinking?

Top Bottom