• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter Generations |OT| Generation X

Smilebomb

Neo Member
Likely the Assisting forte cats. Does the cat have the purple type icon?

Edit: Forgot Support type was called Assisting now.

Assisting type palicos do that, and they have their base skill which acts like a free auto-detect for a few seconds.

Hmmm thats odd. Was playing online with my assist type palico and the other hunter was aswell, but my palico was a mute while the other one was constantly calling stuff out.

JP_

Banned
Hmm, my assist cat has never called out when it can be captured afaik -- maybe I just don't pay attention. Most of the time they just talk nonsense. It's laid traps that I've used to capture though.

Dak'kon

Eh, no ones up for HR2 stuff. Will go do village stuff and check back later. =)

I'm up for it again! I'll let you make a room since there was little lag last time we played with that setup. I'll check back in a bit and can hunt for a couple of hours before dinner :)

Oh man, if you can, I'd definately like to get in on the action.

Sure! Do you want to make a room and I'll join and send them to you? Or else if I'm playing with Xaos and there's space you can pop in and I'll send them to you quickly.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Yesterday while fighting a Malfestio me and a friend managed to stack paralyze and KO, on top of him already being downed from a mount, all within the span of literally 2 seconds. It was like, successful mount, very next hit para, very next hit KO. Wasted so much of the CC duration but that was hilarious. SnS coatings are absolutely busted. He was using a para SnS along with the KO coating and I was using horn to exhaust + KO and it made most of the monsters we killed a total joke.

XaosWolf

I'm up for it again! I'll let you make a room since there was little lag last time we played with that setup. I'll check back in a bit and can hunt for a couple of hours before dinner :)

Sure! Do you want to make a room and I'll join and send them to you? Or else if I'm playing with Xaos and there's space you can pop in and I'll send them to you quickly.

I'll make a room in a minute or so. Just need one more Goldenfish... =(

Menthuss

Okay, Deviant monsters are not what I was expecting. Redhelm Arzuros kicked my ass pretty fucking hard. Felt like I was facing a high-rank monster in low-rank gear.

Unsheathe attack is your go to. If you feel you have the time charge it if not just roll to the side. Charging will always be stronger than multiple hits. On traps or knockouts go for the super charge after a sword slap or a horizontal slash.
Roll to slap is great for movement. Horizontal is nice since you can reangle while moving one step forward and the over head is for hitting tall targets like tails.

I'm just getting destroyed, and I feel like I have so few windows to actually attack. I don't know how people use this thing!

XaosWolf

I'll tag along if you'll have me.

Aha, is that the Prowler quest where you can't use Goldenfish bait? I got fairly lucky but fishing without bait is the worst :(

Of course! Just finished. Entering and exiting makes it much easier and at least you can spot Goldenfish from a mile away.

Anyway, rooms up:

ID: 51-7415-4674-8859
PW: 9267

If anyone wants to pop in to get some good cats then feel free. =)

Boney

Banned

Awesome you still on? Post the room, I can play for a bit as well!

Nvm saw the room!

I'm just getting destroyed, and I feel like I have so few windows to actually attack. I don't know how people use this thing!
Hmm it's hard to explain in just words. The weapon is usually quick charged unsheath attacks or an unsheath (to slap) and roll away. Especially if the monster is angry. When it's getting exhausted or you knock it down is when you do the hyper charge and deal insane damage.

The gist is attack and sheath the weapon again so you can run around the monster while it attacks and get to the side. Usually monsters will either turn at slow speeds to target somebody after the attack and you can get a nice level 2 or 3 charge during that instance and they're pretty strong so after 2 or 3 the monster will get knocked down. Slaps are great to diminish the monster's stamina.

But if it's not going well you might use another weapon and when you hop online try to notice how GS players work. I'm sure there's good YouTube videos of GS hunters around.

Anyone down for helping me farm Snowbaron Lagombi? I'm getting my butt kicked solo, lol.

Only doing level 1 right now so I can make the set, but we can work our way up.

Edit: Room closed.

jonjonaug

It gives you evasion +1 but if you get hit by another bubble attack while it's active you'll become slippery. I have no clue what slippery does.

You slide around frantically, unable to do much. A cleanser can be used to fix it.

The bubbles have other effects too. Red bubbles increase your attack while green ones heal you. So it can be worth getting hit on purpose.

thefil

I could just be very, very lucky with the Plates but even without those they constantly steal webbing/claws/low drop parts which makes farming less of a chore :)

Edit: I think Pilfer Boost unlocks as you level them? It's a 3 Memory Skill so I just equip that plus Stam Drain on them both.

I can just share them with you if you want to try them out, just make a room and I'll come on :)

Yeah, looks like you gotta hit palico level 15 to unlock the move. Do shared palicos come at the same level? If so, I'd love to get yours. Otherwise I found my own with the skills so I'll just grind them up myself.

It gives you evasion +1 but if you get hit by another bubble attack while it's active you'll become slippery. I have no clue what slippery does.

You slide around frantically, unable to do much. A cleanser can be used to fix it.

The bubbles have other effects too. Red bubbles increase your attack while green ones heal you. So it can be worth getting hit on purpose.

Huh, that's a interesting approach to enemy projectiles.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
In the village quests I keep running into these quests where it's something benign like 'collect x things' and they seem like milk runs but then one of the new monsters shows up. So this one I'm doing to collect 3 popo tongues. I don't even eat before hand cause I'm expecting it to be a quickie. Lo and behold the mammoth monster is there. So I'm like, let's test out this aerial switch axe and try and fight this guy....

This was a half hour ago. I've mounted him about 6 times and dished out what appears to be SO much damage, yet he doesn't even appear to be weak... Do the monsters in these quests just have infinite HP or something? I tried to fight Glavenus the first time he showed up on one of these and that fight lasted 40 minutes and it felt like I did so much damage but I triple carted after the 10 minute warning. Haven't even carted once against mammoth, I've busted the snow off his feet about 10 times... He doesn't even seem weak.

Kinsei

Banned
In the village quests I keep running into these quests where it's something benign like 'collect x things' and they seem like milk runs but then one of the new monsters shows up. So this one I'm doing to collect 3 popo tongues. I don't even eat before hand cause I'm expecting it to be a quickie. Lo and behold the mammoth monster is there. So I'm like, let's test out this aerial switch axe and try and fight this guy....

This was a half hour ago. I've mounted him about 6 times and dished out what appears to be SO much damage, yet he doesn't even appear to be weak... Do the monsters in these quests just have infinite HP or something? I tried to fight Glavenus the first time he showed up on one of these and that fight lasted 40 minutes and it felt like I did so much damage but I triple carted after the 10 minute warning. Haven't even carted once against mammoth, I've busted the snow off his feet about 10 times... He doesn't even seem weak.

These are the invasion quests. The monsters in them are from the 5* tier and on top of that they have triple the health so while it is possible to beat them you're not meant to do it.

Gammoth is a she.

>Finish all 5* Key quests except Gammoth, Astalos, Mizutsune.
>No thought bubbles appear anywhere.
>Those key quests never show up
>Look online to find out that I have to do a whole other sting of quests to unlock them.

fuuuuuuuuuuu. Was gonna be record time to get to High Rank.

LiQuid!

These are the invasion quests. The monsters in them are from the 5* tier and on top of that they have triple the health so while it is possible to beat them you're not meant to do it.

Gammoth is a she.

Aha! I knew something was up. I guess I'll keep trying to kill her for the next 15 minutes or so. I'm probably going to fail this quest anyways because I still have to try and get 3 popo tongues off these dumb cows.

edit: gammoth beat, now I have like 5 minutes to get some popo tongues so I don't fail this quest!

Dak'kon

Yeah, looks like you gotta hit palico level 15 to unlock the move. Do shared palicos come at the same level? If so, I'd love to get yours. Otherwise I found my own with the skills so I'll just grind them up myself.

Ah... that's a good point. I just assumed Palicos would retain their stats and abilities when sent but it makes more sense that they'd be reset. I don't know if Boney looked at the ones I sent him or if anybody else knows?

I'm probably going to fail this quest anyways because I still have to try and get 3 popo tongues off these dumb cows.

...what?

how the fuck did I kill nargacuga when I was going ham on its damn tail all the fight, which i didn't cut by the way.

fuck this i need a rest

thefil

Ah... that's a good point. I just assumed Palicos would retain their stats and abilities when sent but it makes more sense that they'd be reset. I don't know if Boney looked at the ones I sent him or if anybody else knows?

May as well try it. I made a room if you want to hop in.

21-8228-0458-3115

Dak'kon

May as well try it. I made a room if you want to hop in.

21-8228-0458-3115

Coming!

Edit: So Palicos do get reset. Apologies to Boney, but you can still level those ones up until they get Pilfer Boost.

how the fuck did I kill nargacuga when I was going ham on its damn tail all the fight, which i didn't cut by the way.

fuck this i need a rest

I think you need to hit the very tip, I know it's only a tiny bit of the tip that comes off. It's been a while since I've cut one myself though (with a GS).

ohlawd

Clearing up HR4 non-keys. one LR Lagia in HR3 first

help kill 50 bugs, 30 Bullfangos, 20 Rhenoplos, Cephadrome, Bulldrome, and shit. I'll just do all the gathering quests by myself unless peeps are down. I doubt it tho

61-8089-5011-0464

KimChi

Clearing up HR4 non-keys. one LR Lagia in HR3 first

help kill 50 bugs, 30 Bullfangos, 20 Rhenoplos, Cephadrome, Bulldrome, and shit. I'll just do all the gathering quests by myself unless peeps are down. I doubt it tho

61-8089-5011-0464

ill join up on that after I get lunch if your still doing them by then, I only just got into hr3 though.

Kazerei

Banned
I'm 21 hours in and so far I've done all the 1*, 2*, and 3* Village quests (including Prowler quests). Haven't even touched the Guild quests.

I made a mixed Maccao armor set and the Royal Ludroth armor set along the way. I think I'll make the Yian Garuga set next. I probably don't need to make so many sets, but I like to change what I'm wearing every once in awhile :)

I'm really liking the new weapon upgrade system. It's nice to be making incremental improvements on a regular basis.

I'm not a fan of Prowler mode though. It's great for gathering, but I'm dreading having to hunt large monsters with it. It's like being forced to use a certain weapon type. No thanks.

I've just been using Guild style, but I might try Adept style once I'm more comfortable with the Hammer. I used Hammer somewhat in MH3U, but that was a long time ago.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone up for charm hunting? The sakura method (turn in 24+ coal one at a time). I have the quest. Let me know and I'll make a lobby.
24+ is for all at once. The sakura method is turning in 12 one at a time, so if you have a group of 4 each person can farcaster back after only getting 3 coal each

Got a ton of great charms yesterday doing it

Top Bottom