• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter Generations |OT| Generation X

Fought Nargacuga for the first time. Reminds me a bit of fighting Barioth, in the way that both are very fast and use circular/feline charges/claw swipes in addition to tail attacks.

Nargacugas deviant subspecies even gets ranged attacks like barioth had in snow.

I miss barioth. He had a kick ass looking set.

Can you really call it a waste when upgrading requires less materials than creating one when advancing to a different stage?

Also, just download Ping's Dex from the OP.

Depends on the weapon, because some are just available to buy from the shop for zero materials. And just knowing I can buy or forge something from scratch can save me time because then I don't have to level up basic weapons again 2+ levels to get the next weapon.

This list will at least tell you the upgrade path, not exactly what you're looking for, but probably a bit helpful.

http://mhgen.kiranico.com/switchaxe

Yeah, that's what I've been using on my phone, it's a little slow sometimes and doesn't have a big list of what will be for sale, I have to delve into each thing to see. Thanks though!

I was just hoping someone had compiled the list already. Oh well!

cheesekao

Depends on the weapon, because some are just available to buy from the shop for zero materials. And just knowing I can buy or forge something from scratch can save me time because then I don't have to level up basic weapons again 2+ levels to get the next weapon.

Yeah, that's what I've been using on my phone, it's a little slow sometimes and doesn't have a big list of what will be for sale, I have to delve into each thing to see. Thanks though!

I was just hoping someone had compiled the list already. Oh well!
If you just want to know what'll be on sale then these are the ones.

Petrified Axe
Iron Axe
Bone Axe
Elite Switch Axe
Power Gasher

If you just want to know what'll be on sale then these are the ones.

Petrified Axe
Iron Axe
Bone Axe
Elite Switch Axe
Power Gasher

Oh, so nothing new will be added? That Power Gasher was the reason I was asking. Haha.
*shakes fist at store*

Know what ones can be forged from scratch too by chance? ;P

cheesekao

Thank you very much!
I just took a closer look and it seems that the list is missing a few like the Aksa Switch, Power Gasher, Bolt Axe, Rex Slasher and Ludroth Axe.

My advice is to find a weapon you like and plan for it. Seriously, download Ping's Dex on your computer. It's very useful.

Dak'kon

So I've been taking two Gathering Palicos with Plunderang and Pilfer Boost since around 2* Village and they are insane! Here's a list of what they stole for me yesterday:

1x Rathalos Plate (on second hunt)
1x Astalos Plate (first hunt)
1x Mizutsune Plate (first hunt)
2x Glavenus Plate (first hunt)
1x Gore Plate (first hunt)

The Gore I just fought this morning. They're both level 20 (don't know if that has an effect) and I'm going to continue to bring them to every Village hunt as I haven't even needed to grind monsters with their steals + Meownster Hunter after every quest for basic mats.

thefil

So I've been taking two Gathering Palicos with Plunderang and Pilfer Boost since around 2* Village and they are insane! Here's a list of what they stole for me yesterday:

1x Rathalos Plate (on second hunt)
1x Astalos Plate (first hunt)
1x Mizutsune Plate (first hunt)
2x Glavenus Plate (first hunt)
1x Gore Plate (first hunt)

The Gore I just fought this morning. They're both level 20 (don't know if that has an effect) and I'm going to continue to bring them to every Village hunt as I haven't even needed to grind monsters with their steals + Meownster Hunter after every quest for basic mats.

I'm gonna try this!

*edit* How do you unlock pilfer boost?

Dak'kon

I'm gonna try this!

I could just be very, very lucky with the Plates but even without those they constantly steal webbing/claws/low drop parts which makes farming less of a chore :)

Edit: I think Pilfer Boost unlocks as you level them? It's a 3 Memory Skill so I just equip that plus Stam Drain on them both.

I can just share them with you if you want to try them out, just make a room and I'll come on :)

MouldyK

Velocidrome Head Chances:

Body Carve x1 2%
Low Wound Head x1 10%
Low Capture x1 5%

[Village★4] Hunt-a-thon: Velocidrome x2 50%
[Village★4] Hunt-a-thon: Velocidrome x1 25%

In the TEN times I have tried the quest, I have got only TWO Velocidrome Heads...both from a BODY CARVE (a 2% Chance)...

...fuck this game.

...I need 10 more...

If there's one thing I didn't miss about the old MH games it's farming for drome heads. I need two Velocidrome heads to upgrade one of my DBs T_T.

Try wanting ALL the Dual Blades, so needing 7 Vprey Claws...TT_TT

I tried to google the cover art sets but see no result.
Anyone knows what specific weapons and armor sets in the opening CG/cover each hunter wear?

Thanks a lot.

I just took a closer look and it seems that the list is missing a few like the Aksa Switch, Power Gasher, Bolt Axe, Rex Slasher and Ludroth Axe.

My advice is to find a weapon you like and plan for it. Seriously, download Ping's Dex on your computer. It's very useful.

Ok thanks!

Yeah I downloaded it just now. I had tried using the web version, but it was slow or all in Japanese, but when I saw your picture, I assumed it was from the application. Now that Im back at my PC I downloaded it, it seems very nice and clean and most importantly, FAST.

Thanks again for the help!

Man I just love Adept Hammer, yu are pretty much dancing around the monsterrs at all times, there's ltierally no downside, brilliant.

I have some issues with the monster selection though. Gen 3 made a huge effort to modernize the monsters, Dromes turned into Jaggis which had better movets and hitboxes, Kut ku into Peco which ahd way more mechanics and was unique and not just a toned down rath. Khezu turned into Gigginox and so on so forth. So why do they bring back trash like Bullfango(drome) back. That thing is utterly unredeemable. Same thing with the other Dromes and prey. And then other staples are left out, like Diablos, or even great newcomers like the Nerscylla. Just what gives?

It just seems to be done for the sake of nostalgia to the first few games and not to improve the game, which is a shame. MH3G still has the GOAT monster selection.

Oh well, at least they got rid of Basarios and Gravious for the superior armoured monsters, Uragaan and Agnaktor
Preach my friend.

Bulldrome was actually the first monster to cart me in this entry because I didn't expect its moveset to still be so one note, I was just trying to get some distance and take a swig of health restoration only to be rapidly mugged off by insta-charges, the embarrassment!

It's a shame about monster selection, as good as 4 ultimate was I realised that I still preferred 3U since 4U threw in too many sloppy early gen monsters and generations may be even worse on that front.
Like does anyone in the entire universe actually enjoy Cephadrome?

vareon

Am I doing something wrong? I ran out of everything (Honeys, Mushrooms, Plants, etc--but Honeys mostly). The Palico I sent brought back meager 1 or 2 items Order Item rounds and I don't know how to unlock more slots. Never had this problem in 3U/4U.

deim0s

Am I doing something wrong? I ran out of everything (Honeys, Mushrooms, Plants, etc--but Honeys mostly). The Palico I sent brought back meager 1 or 2 items Order Item rounds and I don't know how to unlock more slots. Never had this problem in 3U/4U.

Check their enthusiasm, the icons should tell you right away. Get more cats to cycle them.

Oh no, Hammer's just the Petrified Hammer, and LBG's the Maccao one. Not sure the GS.
The female hunter is wearing basically the starter kit, I count that as a set:p
I think the material required for male sets should be from the same monsters. Malfestio set is so beautiful...

So I just made the Elite Switch Axe. Currently going through Village chapter 4 (got access to the volcano aka dragonite ore)

Is there anything better I should be shooting for around this level?

Mupod

Shit, I was wrong about sting s. That's what I get from going off a fan translated list of ammo types.

Saw this list of built-in ammo posted elsewhere:

Wyvern S - Ammo derived from the Wyvern’s Fire mechanism
Slicing S - Ammo that ejects blades on impact, and deals cutting damage to the area it hits
Blast S - Ammo that causes explosive reactions
Force S - Does Heavy damage but strong recoil.
Heavy S - Can flinch monsters from critical range.
Sting S - causes Heavy damage to soft parts.
Cannon S - Explodes on impact.
Long S - Ammo has farther critical range.
Stone S - Simple weak ammo but high capacity stored.
Flaming S Lv2 - Strong Fire Elemental ammo.
Water S Lv2 - Strong Water Elemental ammo.
Thunder S Lv2 - Strong Thunder Elemental ammo.
Ice S Lv2 - Strong Ice Elemental ammo.
Dragon S Lv2 - Strong Dragon Elemental ammo.
P.Flaming S - Piercing Fire Elemental ammo.
P.Water S - Piercing Water Elemental ammo.
P.Thunder S - Piercing Thunder Elemental ammo.
P. Freeze S - Piercing Ice Elemental ammo.
Triblast S - Ammunition that Explodes three times on impact.
Shrapnel S - Same effects as Pellet S on impact area.
Dazzling S - A high-speed light round.
Poison Smoke S - Emits Poison Smoke on impact.
Demon S - Boosts the targeted ally’s Attack.
Demon Affinity S - Boosts Attack and Affinity.
Armor S - Boosts the targeted ally’s Defense.
Super Armor S - Boosts Defense, negates Knockback.
Flash S - Same effect as Flash Bombs.
Dung S - Same effect as Dung Bombs.
Remedy S - Heals status; boosts Natural Recovery.
Group Recover S - Heals all allies in an area.
Demon Armor S - Boosts Attack and Defense.

I really like the return of piercing elemental ammo. Water S and Thunder S used to work like that naturally.

Mupod

So I just made the Elite Switch Axe. Currently going through Village chapter 4 (got access to the volcano aka dragonite ore)

Is there anything better I should be shooting for around this level?

That thing upgrades into the Seregios axe which is honestly overpowered for low rank.

Other than that the Obsidian axe (upgraded from Petrified) had ridiculously high raw for when it was available. Dragon phial though.

Any good switch axes and armor for a beginner? Still rocking the petrified and bherna set.

Make Ceanataur when you can, but really early on anything is fine. This is the most popular beginner set atm.

Hedge

Can you do the entire game as a felyne or aren't they powerful enough?
I'm not sure if they are just a bonus aspect or if they're a fully viable "character".

Fistwell

Walks into room, posts something completely unrelated to room tag.

"pls"

"help please"

"pls halpm pleasse pls"

"help me"

"plse?"

Some of them pubs need jesus.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Deliver 20 unique ferns in 2 star village

Finish all 3 star village quests > quest girl: "before you go here's a new 3 star quest to deliver more unique ferns"

God damnit capcpom

XaosWolf

Gonna do some relaxed HR2 hunting for anyone to join.
I'm gonna get round to ticking all the boxes but if you wanna do a specific quest just go ahead. and I'll help. =)

ID: 60-5333-4479-4522
PW: 9267

Will also hand out some viable godcats if people want em, including Gaijin Hunter's cat PoogieP if they want.

Ah I see. Thank you.
Maybe I should just stick to a regular hunter! :)

Don't let it deter you, the Prowler is wonderful to play as.
That Godcat setup people are always looking into is a legit damage dealer that brings them up to Hunter levels.

And Palicos can be shared to reduce some of the setup required, effectively making it another weapon in itself. =)

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Try wanting ALL the Dual Blades, so needing 7 Vprey Claws...TT_TT

Uhm, if you're just doing it for OCD/collection's sake, just wait until high rank when the drop rates get better...

Mupod

I mean I like playing as a cat, hell I am right now. But even with a good boomerang setup their damage output isn't going to match a hunter on most monsters. And before you get a properly built cat, even an Arzuros is going to take a while. But they are godlike for small monster and gathering missions early on.

Their moveset is actually really neat though, there's more combos than you'd think. Pierce Boomerangs feel like some kind of combination of pierce bowgun shots and the Castlevania cross.

The best part about them is with just one monster kill you basically have the entire set and the weapon. It doesn't take many scraps to make anything.

Smilebomb

Neo Member
Does anyone know what causes palico's to call out monster statuses?
Some palico's will keep you updated on when you can capture it or at how much fatigue the monster is, but I have no clue why some palico's do and some dont

XaosWolf

Some palico's will keep you updated on when you can capture it or at how much fatigue the monster is, but I have no clue why some palico's do and some dont

Likely the Assisting forte cats. Does the cat have the purple type icon?

Edit: Forgot Support type was called Assisting now.

spiritfox

Assisting type palicos do that, and they have their base skill which acts like a free auto-detect for a few seconds.

Mupod

All this time played and I only just now realized that you can look at the villager quest rewards from the hunter notes menu. Going back and getting all my food recipes now...

tuffy

Which reminds me that the overhauled canteen could use some improvement. I spend time paging through dishes looking for the Attack Up food, then need to page through sauces looking for one of the shot up bonuses, and I have to do it again every time. As with the armor sets and item sets, let me save a few favorite food combinations so I can get through that faster.

Boney

Banned
I could just be very, very lucky with the Plates but even without those they constantly steal webbing/claws/low drop parts which makes farming less of a chore :)

Edit: I think Pilfer Boost unlocks as you level them? It's a 3 Memory Skill so I just equip that plus Stam Drain on them both.

I can just share them with you if you want to try them out, just make a room and I'll come on :)
Oh man, if you can, I'd definately like to get in on the action.

Tendo

I'm trying to learn SnS but struggling to break animal parts like I could in 4 with the hammer. Trying to get bulldrome tusks but just can't get them to break

I'm trying to learn SnS but struggling to break animal parts like I could in 4 with the hammer. Trying to get bulldrome tusks but just can't get them to break

Are you using oils? Stamina oil is a huge help in stunning monsters and making it easier to focus on breaking parts.

Top Bottom