• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter Generations |OT| Generation X

Kinsei

Banned
You know, I was just fighting Teostra and S. Magala and they reminded me of the level 140 quests in MH4U.

They need to bring those back. It was so much fun. The best quests in the franchise's history.

Fuck guild quests.

If they want to bring back super monsters then just have super monster quests. None of this RNG grind bullshit.

I hope Capcom boots some of those 1st/2nd gen trash monsters like Dromes for superior Jaggis.

They are animated like shit, and still act like their old ass jank from 1st gen. They look especially awful compared to better animated monsters from 3rd gen and up.

Hugstable

Banned
Finally started getting more into the game and getting better with the controls and fighting big monsters. Fought the Tetsucabra and he took me to my last life, was so hard to get that Sub Quest where I gotta take out his fangs in front. End of the fight was really cool since he did his jump at the same time I went for mine and basically knocked him dead right in the sky. Loving this game alot, though I should probably not do as many of the gathering and collection stuff. Seems like there is alot and I ended up doing all of them in both 1 and 2 star quests in the village.

Salaadin

Finally started getting more into the game and getting better with the controls and fighting big monsters. Fought the Tetsucabra and he took me to my last life, was so hard to get that Sub Quest where I gotta take out his fangs in front. End of the fight was really cool since he did his jump at the same time I went for mine and basically knocked him dead right in the sky. Loving this game alot, though I should probably not do as many of the gathering and collection stuff. Seems like there is alot and I ended up doing all of them in both 1 and 2 star quests in the village.

Gathering can be a drag but I also love seeing that little checkmark indicating that I completed an entire rank...so yeah. I do them all too.

Gathering can be a drag but I also love seeing that little checkmark indicating that I completed an entire rank...so yeah. I do them all too.

Same. I try to do all the required quests to open the next rank first, then I take my time cleaning up the leftovers. At least with a Prowler it's pretty easy to do the gathering quests while watching TV. It's actually kind of relaxing.

Salaadin

Same. I try to do all the required quests to open the next rank first, then I take my time cleaning up the leftovers. At least with a Prowler it's pretty easy to do the gathering quests while watching TV. It's actually kind of relaxing.

Ha! This is exactly what Ive been doing.

Mupod

How do you get Kut Ku ears? I've broken his stupid head in multiple fights but no ears. Stupid desire sensor!

can't get it from body carves or captures, only ear breaking and shiny drops.

is there a quest with a subquest to break ears? That'd be the first thing I try.

I hope Capcom boots some of those 1st/2nd gen trash monsters like Dromes for superior Jaggis.

They are animated like shit, and still act like their old ass jank from 1st gen. They look especially awful compared to better animated monsters from 3rd gen and up.

Yup. They plain stink. I miss Qurupeko as well and breaking it's stupid big bill. I'm kind of wanting to go back to MH3U but then I stop myself when I remember the underwater fights.

Moondrop

Banned
This game is triggering my OCD. Just cleared all village quests through 5* and then the urgent to 6* and I still haven't entered the hub. Send help.

The pre-credits scene is glorious.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
This game is triggering my OCD. Just cleared all village quests through 5* and then the urgent to 6* and I still haven't entered the hub. Send help.

The pre-credits scene is glorious.
I don't know how you do it. I'm going back and finishing the rest of the village quests right now to get the hayabusa feather and the gathering/fishing quests are boring the pants off of me.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
Thank you!!

What HR to fight him?
You don't fight deviljho. Deviljho fights you.
fiestajho_by_nch85-d8x9uhr.gif

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
After playing to village 4 and guild 3 solely with the hunting horn I finally decided to try aerial switch axe and I see why Gaijin Hunter was so excited about it. It's insanely fun. SA was my weapon in 4U and I was (and still am, honestly) disappointed that the new charge hunting art basically negates the need to ever use axe mode. I don't really consider playing with it this way to even be the same weapon that I loved so much in 4U to be honest. It's very different, but very fun in its own right. Definitely going to use it more for solo hunts but I think I will stick with the horn online.

CTLance

It's so strange. This game feels so different, which I didn't expect at all.
I had more trouble with Tetsucabra in Generations than I ever had with him in 4U, but on the other hand I just completely owned Mr giant enemy crab on my first unprepared encounter with him in some gathering quest, even with a hunting horn which I haven't used in for-freaking-ever and no hunting art because I'm a stupid poopyhead that forgot to add one back in after switching weapons. I loathed fighting him in 4U, but here I am, smacking him around like a little bitch. Two quests later, I get my ass handed back to me by freaking Gypceros of all things. Gypceros! What is happening here, help, nothing makes sense anymore!!!111

Still trying to grok Adept style with SnS though. I just seem to run off in a random direction after a successful dodge, and the boosted attack feels rather dangerous with the changed attack timings. I'll get used to it eventually, and it's been really fun with the Hammer, but I think I'll stick with Aerial style. The extended reach, the free monster rides, the ability to just dodge into most attacks with at worst some minor scratch damage. So good. :D

That 3* fishing quest though. Sitting in area three in the Jungle, hoping for that last farking brocade fish to finally spawn. Why did they only give you two golden fish baits, dammit. Spent like fifteen minutes emptying that tiny pool of all life. Gah.

burgerdog

Fuck guild quests.

If they want to bring back super monsters then just have super monster quests. None of this RNG grind bullshit.

Truth. I can understand grinding to get gear, but grinding to fight the toughest monsters in the game? Nope. Wasted dev time in my opinion because they just created content that only 1% of the player base will see.

redcrayon

Yeah, I find them far more tedious to fight than Great Jaggi/Bhaggi etc. They are so thin and quick than lining up hits with some weapons is annoying when they are facing you, even if they offer no real threat. My first MH was Tri, and I found Great Jaggi a much better first large creature as it just looked physically more imposing and lethal too.

redcrayon

It's so strange. This game feels so different, which I didn't expect at all.
I had more trouble with Tetsucabra in Generations than I ever had with him in 4U, but on the other hand I just completely owned Mr giant enemy crab on my first unprepared encounter with him in some gathering quest, even with a hunting horn which I haven't used in for-freaking-ever and no hunting art because I'm a stupid poopyhead that forgot to add one back in after switching weapons. I loathed fighting him in 4U, but here I am, smacking him around like a little bitch. Two quests later, I get my ass handed back to me by freaking Gypceros of all things. Gypceros! What is happening here, help, nothing makes sense anymore!!!111

Still trying to grok Adept style with SnS though. I just seem to run off in a random direction after a successful dodge, and the boosted attack feels rather dangerous with the changed attack timings. I'll get used to it eventually, and it's been really fun with the Hammer, but I think I'll stick with Aerial style. The extended reach, the free monster rides, the ability to just dodge into most attacks with at worst some minor scratch damage. So good. :D

That 3* fishing quest though. Sitting in area three in the Jungle, hoping for that last farking brocade fish to finally spawn. Why did they only give you two golden fish baits, dammit. Spent like fifteen minutes emptying that tiny pool of all life. Gah.
Why not just take your own goldenfish bait? Once I saw what was in the supply box, I quit the quest, bought some from the trader and went in with five, after eating for felyne fisher to make them bite more quickly. Actually being able to buy it makes it much easier- in previous games I remember farming snakebee larvae to make bait because of the bloody goldenfish quests!

Same goes for egg/Boulder delivery quests- I don't even start them without a full set of dash juice, armour tooled for transporting and eating for felyne lander to avoid dropping them if I run over a bump in the ground. I kinda look at it that the proficiency required for those quests is in the prep, rather than enduring the tedium of trying to do them without any.

jonjonaug

So I managed to craft and upgrade a full set of Rhopessa armor after enough of those bugs showed up in my trading carts. I also got a +8 stun talisman with a slot available in it, so I was able to use the empty slots on the armor and my weapon to get +15 Expert and +15 Stun, giving me +20% affinity and immunity to stun. The stamina regen skill that comes with the armor set is really useful, stamina regens so fast that it might as well just be infinite.

After I had all that together I took on the *6 "kill all the flagship monsters" mission. I feel like I cheated, it was really easy. It was also really funny watching these big intimidating monsters get killed by a woman in a silly butterfly dress.

ohlawd

had my fill of terrible messages in a single lobby

two dudes had shit like
daughter mounted
fuck u asshole
eject your cartridge (lol'd at this one when the fourth member ragequit after dying)
shitstain

Teknoman

two dudes had shit like
daughter mounted
fuck u asshole
eject your cartridge (lol'd at this one when the fourth member ragequit after dying)
shitstain

Btw....there isnt a mounted monster message like in 4?

ChrisD

two dudes had shit like
daughter mounted
fuck u asshole
shitstain

Game needs a report function not just a block list

Beat the Fated Four Village Quest. 25 mins, though once you remove the despawn times it's more like 22. Gammoth is actually really... really boring. And annoying. And I will never fight him again without Aerial style where I can just spam mounts while avoiding his numerous Tremor skills.

Other three new Flagships are a blast.

Difficulty
Glavenus>Astalos>Mizutsune=Gammoth

Glavenus is really just most difficult because I've not fought him much, but he also has the most damage output from normal attacks it seems. He's like Jho with those quick forward snapping bites and stepping on you in general. They add up fast.

Astalos is fast and nimble but his hitboxes seem really forgiving and his biggest moves are super telegraphed.

Mizutsune is just easy in general, makes me think of Royal Ludroth and/or an easier Lagiacrus.

Gammoth is really easy to abuse mounting on. Without it I guess he goes above Mizutsune on difficulty.

Fun
Mizutsune>Astalos=/>Glavenus>>>>>Gammoth

Royal Ludroth was my favorite thing to fight in Tri. I fought them like 80+ times in the Moga Woods just because. Mizutsune is like a slightly tougher R. Ludroth. I love 'em.

Astalos is a pretty fun fight because you have like a mini game in trying to take out his charged points. Glavenus is fun in general, it's like a Jho that doesn't want to eat you all the time. Also he has the same mini game aspect with the neck. Can't decide which I like more.

Gammoth sucks because he's just a big dumb bullet (er, Hammer?) sponge. Easy to abuse but annoying to fight.

redcrayon

Fought Nargacuga for the first time. Reminds me a bit of fighting Barioth, in the way that both are very fast and use circular/feline charges/claw swipes in addition to tail attacks.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Wow, I never realized how fun the hunting horn could be.

I thought I was going to be the only horn user I ever saw in this game when I started playing it. I've run into at least 5 other horns in the last 2 days. Somehow I've never overlapped song lists with any of them too, so having 4-6 buffs up on the entire team at the same time has been pretty neat.

Is there a list somewhere of all the weapons (Switch Axe specifically) that I can buy from the store or forge from scratch? I hate upgrading a weapon then getting to a new village rank and find out I could just buy it, such a waste of materials! Haha.

cheesekao

Is there a list somewhere of all the weapons (Switch Axe specifically) that I can buy from the store or forge from scratch? I hate upgrading a weapon then getting to a new village rank and find out I could just buy it, such a waste of materials! Haha.
Can you really call it a waste when upgrading requires less materials than creating one when advancing to a different stage?

Also, just download Ping's Dex from the OP.

thefil

Almost done making a SnS for each element. Then gotta farm for the first upgrade to each of em. HR3 opens up a lot.

Still on village 3* though.

Top Bottom