• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter Wilds | [Hands-On] Preview Thread

Thick Thighs Save Lives

NeoGAF's Physical Games Advocate Extraordinaire
Monster-Hunter-Wilds-Gemma.jpg

Previews:

IGN
From what I did see, Wilds is shaping up to be pretty much what I hoped for: a Monster Hunter that embraces the parts of Rise that made it so much more inviting, but also doesn’t shy away from the larger scale and spectacle that helped make World the more enduring entry for me. It’s hard to tell exactly which way that needle will point after just a few missions (or if these structural changes will swing it somewhere else entirely), but I certainly can’t wait to play more so I can find out.

Noisy Pixel
Even though I only had a brief time with the game, it’s clear that Monster Hunter Wilds is shaping up to be something special. I didn’t get to dive into all the characters or the intricacies of camp development, but what I did experience left me eager for more. The game’s intentional design—where every swing of the sword and every strategy has room for error—creates a sense of depth that invites experimentation.

Monster Hunter Wilds might be a fresh start for some, but it’s also a welcome evolution for others. Capcom has crafted a world where your approach matters and where the adventure feels both grand and personal.

VG247
TL;DR? Monster Hunter Wilds is good. The combat feels scrappier and more in-your-face than ever before, with more tools at your disposal to mess up your prey and more control in your hands to make you feel like a true superhero with your weapon once you’ve got your movement and strings down. This is seriously going to be something special, and I cannot wait to play more.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
Thank fucking god for the pc release, imagine playing this at 30 fps.
Im pretty sure you need a beefy pc if console limit to 30fps, so people with low to mid end PC may not run the game well

Most of the time you can gauge how well a PC runs a game by looking at console optimization

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
Im pretty sure you need a beefy pc if console limit to 30fps, so people with low to mid end PC may not run the game well

Most of the time you can gauge how well a PC runs a game by looking at console optimization
I have no doubt that a ps5 (possibly switch 2 native game) is gonna run pretty well on my monster pc, from what i saw the game really doens't push any major graphic advancement nor physics\interaction groundebreaking tech, herds of enemies and animal ecosystem are nothing new since forever unless they are keeping secret everything about the world simulation, the only possible problem is re engine not being optimal for open worlds, but this not a real open world, it is still divided into big zones, so not like d2.

even dogma 2 wasn't THAT bad on my end, except for the crashes, and that one has big cities with a lot of npcs with schedule etc., and i'm absolutely sure that wilds is being made by the A team of capcom, d2 was a wet fart with probably a small budget\team behind, not the absolute megaton that wilds is gonna be, i expect capcom to put down big money and optimization for it.

Last edited:

lh032

I have no doubt that a ps5 (possibly switch 2 native game) is gonna run pretty well on my monster pc, from what i saw the game really doens't push any major graphic advancement nor physics\interaction groundebreaking tech, herds of enemies and animal ecosystem are nothing new since forever unless they are keeping secret everything about the world simulation, the only possible problem is re engine not being optimal for open worlds, but this not a real open world, it is still divided into big zones, so not like d2.

even dogma 2 wasn't THAT bad on my end, except for the crashes, and that one has big cities with a lot of npcs with schedule etc., and i'm absolutely sure that wilds is being made by the A team of capcom, d2 was a wet fart with probably a small budget\team behind, not the absolute megaton that wilds is gonna be, i expect capcom to put down big money and optimization for it.
i personally think that if dd2 has a performance mode on ps5, mhw should have as well, or the devs could update and include a performace mode later.

MHW looks great but its not mind blowing great in terms of visuals.

I think the world simulation in dd2 is more complex than mhw but i could be wrong.

GymWolf

Gold Member
i personally think that if dd2 has a performance mode on ps5, mhw should have as well, or the devs could update and include a performace mode later.

MHW looks great but its not mind blowing great in terms of visuals.

I think the world simulation in dd2 is more complex than mhw but i could be wrong.
I doubt that d2 is gonna have better world simulation than wilds, at least in the animal ecosystem part.

The creature ecosystem in d2 was super basic.

lh032

I doubt that d2 is gonna have better world simulation than wilds, at least in the animal ecosystem part.

The creature ecosystem in d2 was super basic.
dd2 has several NPCs accompany you at all times which is more complex than mhwild though.
I'm not sure about wilds having loading screen or not but i believe the map in dd2 is bigger with no loading screen linked all the way to the city.

GymWolf

Gold Member
dd2 has several NPCs accompany you at all times which is more complex than mhwild though.
I'm not sure about wilds having loading screen or not but i believe the map in dd2 is bigger with no loading screen linked all the way to the city.
Npcs behaviour has nothing to do with animal ecoystem tho. (unless this wasn't your point)

And i played d2 for 40 hours, i know some people think that the npcs were smart, but they just respond to specific scripts and when the script doesn't activate they just stay there like spastics, they are not really "smart" (and you can tell during combat or a LOT of other occasions were they are just bamboozled and unresponsive or downright suicidal).

Pawns are not exactly famous for being super smart in the dogma series, they do a lot of things, but i would not call them smart at all.

P.s. you can have npcs that helps you in battle in wilds and i'm pretty sure that you need a better IA to handle the actual challenging monsters of MH compared to the lethargic, super easy monsters of d2, so again, i don't know about d2 having better npcs other than their behaviour being more varied because d2 as a game is just more varied than mh because you don't just hunt only monsters in the quests.

The map is way bigger in d2 i think, wilds has various zones that are 2x times the sizer of the coral hines (from a dev interview), so still pretty "small" compared to a huge full fledged open world, of course if you put the size of all the zones together, maybe it's probably bigger than d2.

Last edited:

Wooxsvan

traps are now retrievable and DO NOT get destroyed. woot.

this game def doesnt seem like early 2025 based on what im seeing on this build. was hoping so but i doubt at this point. the wall and environment textures are a mess and pop in is everywhere. also plenty of framerate dips even at 30. i suppose this build just is very very old and the live dev build is close? who knows

Last edited:

lh032

Npcs behaviour has nothing to do with animal ecoystem tho.

And i played d2 for 40 hours, i know some people think that the npcs were smart, but they just respond to specific scripts and when the script doesn't activate they just stay there like spastics, they are not really "smart" (and you can tell during combat or a LOT of other occasions were they are just bamboozled and unresponsive).

Pawns are not exactly famous for being super smart in the dogma series...

P.s. you can have npcs that helps you in battle in wilds and i'm pretty sure that you need a better IA to handle the actual challenging monsters of MH compared to the lethargic, super easy monsters of d2, so again, i don't know about d2 having better npcs other than their behaviour being more varied because d2 as a game is just more varied than mh because you don't only hunt monsters in the quests.

The map is way bigger in d2, wilds has various zones that are 2x times the sizer of the coral hines, so still pretty "small" compared to a huge full fledged open world, of course if you put the size of all the zones together, it's probably bigger than d2.
im watched the live stream but i personally thinks the games should not need a high end hardware to runs well if it actually optimized.

it just looks like a improved version of monster hunter world.

GymWolf

Gold Member
im watched the live stream but i personally thinks the games should not need a high end hardware to runs well if it actually optimized.

it just looks like a improved version of monster hunter world.
I hope it's the opposite, i hope they are squeezing 110% from these machines for the world simulation that we haven't seen yet.

I would be happy if my cpu get hammered because the game is actually nextgen :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

lh032

I hope it's the opposite, i hope they are squeezing 110% from these machines for the world simulation that we haven't seen yet.

I would be happy if my cpu get hammered because the game is actually nextgen :lollipop_grinning_sweat:
why would you want your monster PC to get hammered resulting in lower or unstable fps?

and that is bad for people having lower end machines as well besides console.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
why would you want your monster PC to get hammered resulting in lower or unstable fps?

and that is bad for people having lower end machines as well besides console.
Because i'm happy when devs push nextgen tech, and REAL nextgen tech is HEAVY, no other way around (look at path-tracing, there is no way to make it "light" on any system)

The beauty of playing on pc is that i can upgrade my pc for the right reasons, and as an absolute sucker for videogame animal ecosystems, nothing would make me more happy than to see something that is SENSIBLY better than mh world\fc primal\rdr2. or other games with good animal ecosystem.

Last edited:

lh032

Because i'm happy when devs push nextgen tech.

The beauty of playing on pc is that i can upgrade my pc for the right reasons, and as an absolute sucker for videogame animal ecosystems, nothing would make me happy to see something that is SENSIBLY better than mh world\fc primal\rdr2. or other games with good animal ecosystem.
wait you keep talking about animal ecosystem, what is it so impressive in wilds? i dont see anything that wows me?

GymWolf

Gold Member
wait you keep talking about animal ecosystem, what is it so impressive in wilds? i dont see anything that wows me?
Exactly, that's why i said that i hope they are keeping all in secret.

And that's why i said that i have no fear for the pc version, BUT if they are keeping all the animal interactions between them or the player or the location in secret, maybe the game could be heavier than we think.

GymWolf

Gold Member
I'm not gonna watch any stream, official trailers are spoilery enough.

But i want to hear impression boys.

Thick Thighs Save Lives

NeoGAF's Physical Games Advocate Extraordinaire
I was excpecting a bigger upgrade on how the food looks tbh.

You can barely tell if that thing is a steak or a fucking lasagna :lollipop_squinting:

563u5bozpcb91.jpg
Well, we need to see more of them MH Wilds food dishes, but I'm sure they'll keep improving them. Btw, I've made this gif from yesterday's trailer.

Tagging Danjin44 Danjin44 because I know he loves anything food related in his games. 😋

Zm7Ey2T.gif

Wooxsvan

incredible
-Helm Breaker finisher can be canceled mid air. Also has an extra optional hit that will use 2 gauges
-wound closer focus strike increases gauge

Last edited:

Sanepar

Consoles are from 2020 even a 4060 is more powerfull than consoles.

GymWolf

Gold Member
If that was my only choice then I just wouldn't play it. An action game at 30fps is laughable.
I'm too much of a fanboy to not play a main MH because it's 30 fps.

I was able to wait for the pc version of rise because from the demo on switch i could tell that the game was not as enjoyable as world for my taste.

Last edited:
on steam survey less than 4% have a 4060.

You are overestimating the number of people own a mid end pc lol
35% + of systems are at least as strong or stronger than the consoles and that´s only considering the top 50sth nvidia spots in the steam hardware survey and steam has a "few" more users than the consoles.

I think PC users will not really struggle with this game unless Capcom royally fucks up their tech, which absolutely is a possibility, though.
I´m actually somewhat susprised that there isn`t a confirmation for a 60fps mode on consoles so far, because...well it doesn`t exactly look "cutting edge".....the visual progress over World is minimal.

Last edited:
This game is going to struggle on base systems for sure.
Only if capcom royally fucks up their engine tech.

Have you guys already forgotten how PS4 games like Horizon FW look? MH:Wilds looks like an ugly duckling besides those....
Tech wise the progress we`ve seen over world up to now is within "detail slider" range......barely anything. Unless the world simulation is a giant CPU hog there is nothing we`ve seen so far that would indicate that this game should in any way or shape be taxing for PS5/XSX+ level hardware.

Last edited:

Comandr

Only if capcom royally fucks up their engine tech.

Have you guys already forgotten how PS4 games like Horizon FW look? MH:Wilds looks like an ugly duckling besides those....
Tech wise the progress we`ve seen over world up to know is within "detail slider" range......barely anything. Unless the world simulation is a giant CPU hog there is nothing we`ve seen so far that would indicate that this game should in any way or shape be taxing for PS5/XSX+ level hardware.
These kind of comments come across as profoundly ignorant to the underlying tech running the show here.

The only thing that these hands on impressions have showed us is just how much is going on in the world at any given time. Not only is the map enormous, but there are an incredible number of simulations going on at any given time - tons of creatures wandering about, interacting with one another, high detail models, tons of endemic life and interactables - all of which change and shift in real time as the weather passes between several different phases. When Capcom said this was going to be one of their most ambitious games ever, it really shows. The sheer scope on display is incredible.

While I believe this build is probably from July-ish, and has a number of apparent bugs - texture pop being one of them - the game is already looking very good. And still, this is just one area. A desert area at that. The Scarlet Forest map already looks much more visually full and interesting by sheer merit of ... not being a desert.

Last edited:
Characters look like they're made for a "modern audience". They look like mall teens hanging out in a desert cave, and would be more at home in a new Watch Dogs game.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
incredible
-Helm Breaker finisher can be canceled mid air. Also has an extra optional hit that will use 2 gauges
-wound closer focus strike increases gauge
That’s fucking AMAZING! LS is going to be so fucking fun in Wilds.

Last edited:

Codes 208

This is already looking like my goty for 2025

Im surprised ive been loving the modern MH games as much as I have, MHW was a sleeper hit that my friends and I only started playing because dbfz shit the bed with its servers at launch

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
I'm watching the rurikhan stream and i noticed that they reduced the amount of hit stop on big hits...maybe? the combat seems a bit less impactful than world but it could just be an after product of yt low bitrate or some shit.

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
Looks so damn good. Extremely hyped to play this next year. The drip feed they already released looks fantastic and every time someone updates the weapon thread I hope to see an entirely new weapon.

When Capcom started the SF6 trailers before the game released I gained an instant appreciate for how much they had overhauled their marketing team....the way they are handling the MHWilds marketing is outstanding.

They are simply crushing it imo and I cannot point to a company who is doing a better job of marketing currently. Take2 and R* will be a sight to behold for GTA6 ramp up probably....but for right now, at least for me, Capcom is peerless.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
Looks so damn good. Extremely hyped to play this next year. The drip feed they already released looks fantastic and every time someone updates the weapon thread I hope to see an entirely new weapon.

When Capcom started the SF6 trailers before the game released I gained an instant appreciate for how much they had overhauled their marketing team....the way they are handling the MHWilds marketing is outstanding.

They are simply crushing it imo and I cannot point to a company who is doing a better job of marketing currently. Take2 and R* will be a sight to behold probably for GTA6 ramp up probably....but for right, now at least for me, Capcom is peerless.
I was thinking the same, this is a masterclass on how you should publicize your game.

The only thing that these hands on impressions have showed us is just how much is going on in the world at any given time. Not only is the map enormous, but there are an incredible number of simulations going on at any given time - tons of creatures wandering about
"trust me bro" some PR snippets of some wandering animals and weather effects and that`s proof for tectonic CPU shattering world simulation....riiight. I think I´ve got a bridge to sell you.
high detail models,
Have you played a game in the last 5 years? High detail....compared to what? Certainly not compared to a PS4 game like HFW....... and that`s only the main monsters. the "endemic life" like the herd animals from the first trailer look barely better than in world.
, tons of endemic life and interactables - all of which change and shift in real time as the weather passes between several different phases.
More "trust me bro" parroting PR as if that had any meaning at this point.....Also what year is it that you`re impressed by dynamic weather?
Robin Williams What Year Is It GIF

the game is already looking very good.
The assets, the environmental textures, the geometric detail, the detail density, the lighting (aside from some weather effects maybe) are all in spitting range of World......The texture sharpness and shaders on some monsters and the player figure detail being the only exceptions so far, which really isn`t much considering the generational hardware gulf and the contemporaries.

Bottom line, the GPU side of things definitely doesn`t warrant any form of high system requirements from what we`ve seen so far and the CPU side of things is an unknown thus people like you pretending this is in any way "visbly heavy" have no clue what they are talking about or are at best PR parrots.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Have you played a game in the last 5 years? High detail....compared to what? Certainly not compared to a PS4 game like HFW....... and that`s only the main monsters. the "endemic life" like the herd animals from the first trailer look barely better than in world.
Have you played World recently? I’m currently playing the game and still looks good but no where near close to Wilds when comes density, quality of both Large and small monster models.

in fact both in the trailer and streams show when monster attack the change sand terrain whIch was never a thing in World.

You also see small monsters hunting each other this time around not just large monsters.
Djbpdzh.gif

Last edited:
Top Bottom