• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter Wilds | [Hands-On] Preview Thread

Lokaum D+

one of the highest quality captures iv seen. some Switchaxe. This game is going to struggle on base systems for sure.

c'mon this game should run just fine on base systems, 1440p@60fps is perfect doable from what they showed.

the focus on 4k was a mistake this gen.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
35% + of systems are at least as strong or stronger than the consoles and that´s only considering the top 50sth nvidia spots in the steam hardware survey and steam has a "few" more users than the consoles.

I think PC users will not really struggle with this game unless Capcom royally fucks up their tech, which absolutely is a possibility, though.
I´m actually somewhat susprised that there isn`t a confirmation for a 60fps mode on consoles so far, because...well it doesn`t exactly look "cutting edge".....the visual progress over World is minimal.
on reddit one user said there will be 60fps but we shall see.

tbh, most games like 99% has a performance mode so far except for games like kingdom come deliverance, RDR2 which the devs dont bother to update their game.

I still believe there is a performance mode for Mh Wilds or it will be include in upcoming update like pacific drive.

Last edited:
Well I appreciate that they kept the MH tradition and made the food tasty af.

monsterhunterwilds-20240821-307011-header.jpg
sayonara dangos. we're back to eating real food for hunters.

NanaMiku

I'm not gonna watch any stream, official trailers are spoilery enough.

But i want to hear impression boys.
I''ve watch a portion of it. The Palico is kinda noisy. He always tells you something "the monster is moving," "the monster is almost dead," and "use this item!"

There's a damn good chance I am going to be carrying a long sword, and a great sword. SNS in the running, but damn do I love to slice tails.

Thick Thighs Save Lives

NeoGAF's Physical Games Advocate Extraordinaire
Interesting game dev tidbit shared by one of the former MH producers which was picked up and reported by Automaton West

Post translation: Underwater combat. If the game already has ground-based battles, then it (adding underwater combat) is like making a separate game. It’s difficult. It’s really super hard.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Interesting game dev tidbit shared by one of the former MH producers which was picked up and reported by Automaton West

Post translation: Underwater combat. If the game already has ground-based battles, then it (adding underwater combat) is like making a separate game. It’s difficult. It’s really super hard.

I dont blame them, you are essentially asking them to make two separate combat system in one game and they are limited by time and resources so one of them is going to suffer.

Last edited:

NanaMiku

They should just make a spin off that are full underwater combat only lol

I just want Lagiacrus to be back

They did show underwater exploration in the last of their MH Gamescom streams, so I would believe that underwater combat could make a return for the expansion. Not holding my breath though, as it is a big ask.

Last edited:

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I dont blame them, you are essentially asking them to make two separate combat system in one game and they are limited by time and resources so one of them is going to suffer.
Underwater combat too hard. Jetpack Gunlance is possible though.

Lokaum D+

Just started MHWI to scratch my itch of playing this and i ll say this, If Wilds performance is anything close to World or DD2 we are fucked.

Last edited:
Just started MHWI to scratch my itch of playing this and i ll say this, If Wilds performance is anything close to World or DD2 we are fucked.
Well, there is always the PC route to help you if your rig is up to it. I'm dreading the PC specs for Wilds tbh with all the simulations for the environment and endemic life. I just want it to be better than DD2.

Lokaum D+

Well, there is always the PC route to help you if your rig is up to it. I'm dreading the PC specs for Wilds tbh with all the simulations for the environment and endemic life. I just want it to be better than DD2.
Even on high end PC DD2 is a broken mess, my hope is that Capcom ll give MHWi a special treatment since MH IS way bigger than DD.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
As someone who bought rise but never got the time to start it, I might give it a try. Heard combat is fast paced due to wirebugs and all the changes but this looks so silly that I might finally make the jump.
With Rise and Sunbreak it's expansion there is a lot of content to enjoy. Probably the 2nd best MH after 4U IMO.

GymWolf

Gold Member
I'm not even worried about performances, but i'm terrified at the idea of the game being too streamlined and easy, i heard many things that i don't like.

The double weapons was already something that i didn't wanted, but they are doubling down on the shit that made rise a joke in terms of challenge, like the dog\seikreet being TOO useful, even the focus mode making 360 movements possible even for slow, clunky weapons like the ds is not optimal imo.

Even a superfanboy like rurikhan hope that the game is gonna be much harder at launch, and that dude would eat a real life rathalos turd and lick his mustaches in awe type of shiller...

And it's not the player job to handicap itself and not use everything the game has to offer, the devs need to be good with balancement.

I really hope capcom doesn't turn wilds into another braindead easy game like dogma 2, i would fucking die if they do that.

Last edited:

Danjin44

but they are doubling down on the shit that made rise a joke in terms of challenge, like the dog\seikreet being TOO useful,
In Wilds the map is MUCH bigger than World and Rise. So tracking/chasing the monster or going expedition in a huge map you need a mount.

Also what made Rise easier was mostly because of wirebug which you can pull off moves like wire fall.

GymWolf

Gold Member
In Wilds the map is MUCH bigger than World and Rise. So tracking/chasing the monster or going expedition in a huge map you need a mount.

Also what made Rise easier was mostly because of wirebug which you can pull off moves like wire fall.
I'm not against a mount, i'm against a mount that you can call at any time during combat, mount on it, and heal\sharp the weapon with the mount having a fucking auto-evade function...

Leave the mount for traversal and nuke all its other functions.

And make the monsters more aggressive, it's the only way to counter focus mode, stealth attacks and all the other stuff they added in favour of the player.

Last edited:

Danjin44

I'm not against a mount, i'm against a mount that you can call at any time during combat, mount on it, and heal\sharp the weapon with the mount having a fucking auto-evade function...

Leave the mount for traversal and nuke all its other functions.

And make the monsters more aggressive, it's the only way to counter focus mode, stealth attacks and all the other stuff they added in favour of the player.
In Rise there were monsters that would actually punish wire-fall, so I would imagine Wilds will do the same for focus mode.....in fact when you use focus mode your movement become very limited so it will be difficult to use on more aggressive monsters.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
In Rise there were monsters that would actually punish wire-fall, so I would imagine Wilds will do the same for focus mode.....in fact when you use focus mode you movement become very limited so it becomes difficult to use on more aggressive monsters.
Remember me again what was wire-fall?

Was it the move to recover mid-air when knocked down?

Hopefully wilds has nothing like that, although i saw some quasi-wire insects movements in the hammer showcase...

Last edited:

Danjin44

Remember me again what was wire-fall?

Was it the move to recover mid-air when knocked down?

Hopefully wilds has nothing like that, although i saw some quasi-wire insects movements in the hammer showcase...
Yes but in Wilds there no such thing as wirebugs you have slingers which function similar to World.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Yes but in Wilds there no such thing as wirebugs you have slingers which function similar to World.
But they added focus mode that make missing way harder because you can 360° basically, using the main weapon to create wounds when grappled to a monster (before it was just the knife attack and knockdown), the clashes that end with you doing damage when you block some attacks, stealth attacks, the seikreet functions, some op evade moves, some ammo types and coating being kinda infinite and so many other things that help the player and penalize the monsters.

Even when they walk in packs, you just need a poop projectile to free them from the pack and hunt them alone, so it's not something hard to do, you always chose if you wanna fight 1vs1 or vs a pack.

They have to counter with more damage, more aggressivity and moves that are harder to dodge or something else, i'm not a dev :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Like don't get me wrong, i like having more options and moves in combat, it's great, but i also want monsters to fuck me up greatly :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:

Danjin44

But they added focus mode that make missing way harder, using the main weapon to create wounds when grappled to a monster, the clashes that end with you doing damage when you block some attacks, stealth attacks, the seikreet functions, some op evade moves, some ammo types and coating being kinda infinite and so many other things that help the player and penalize the monsters.

Even when they walk in packs, you just need a poop projectile to free them from the pack and hunt them alone, so it's not something hard to do, you always chose if you wanna fight 1vs1 or vs a pack.

They have to counter with more damage, more aggressivity and moves that are harder to dodge or something else, i'm not a dev :lollipop_grinning_sweat:
Again Focus mode really limits your movements so I cant imagine using that in middles of the battle, you still need to find good opening.

Another thing is that clashing with Monster only works with weapons that can block, so for someone like me that uses LS I can't do that.

Will just have to see how features works when we finally get a demo.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Again Focus mode really limits your movements so I cant imagine using that in middles of the battle, you still need to find good opening.

Another thing is that clashing with Monster only works with weapons that can block, so for someone like me that uses LS I can't do that.

Will just have to see how features works when we finally get a demo.
Focus mode make you turn easily in any direction, so weapons that are already clunky like the gs or the gunlance or whatever, are gonna be able to turn and not miss hits, rurikhan and many other MH experts explained better in some videos, it's a clear help in not missing hits because even if your position or when you start the attack is not optimal, you can just press r2 and turn to the monster without whiffing, of course a complete noob is not gonna notice that, but experienced players are gonna abuse the shit out of it.

You know what, i thought that clashes were only with weapons that have shields but i'm not sure, i don't think it's an official info and every weapon now has a block\counter move, so maybe to use clashes with no shield you just have to use the block move that a weapon has instead of a shield block.

Last edited:

Danjin44

Focus mode make you turn easily in any direction, so weapons that are already clunky like the gs or the gunlance or whatever, are gonna be able to turn and not miss hits, rurikhan and many other MH experts explained better in some videos, it's a clear help in not missing hits because even if your position or when you start the attack is not optimal, you can just press r2 and turn to the monster without whiffing, of course a complete noob is not gonna notice that, but experienced players are gonna abuse the shit out of it.

You know what, i thought that clashes were only with weapons that have shields but i'm not sure, i don't think it's an official info and every weapon now has a block\counter move, so maybe to use clashes with no shield you just have to use the block move that a weapon has instead of a shield block.
In weapon videos I only saw weapons and use block that clashes with monsters but I never saw in LS or Dual Blades videos. I dont think they added block for those weapons.

GymWolf

Gold Member
In weapon videos I only saw weapons and use block that clashes with monsters but I never saw in LS or Dual Blades videos. I dont think they added block for those weapons.
Not a proper block, but all weapons now have like a guard parry or how you wanna call it, so maybe to not left any weapon without a feature like clashes (it sound severely wrong that only some weapons have a new feature don't you think?) they are gonna use those moves for clashes, maybe harder to pull off...

I hope not, i don't wanna be able to clash with a fucking hammer :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:

Danjin44

Danjin44 Danjin44 rurikhan just said that he saw a clash with the switch axe, so it seems like even weapons without a shield can do clashes.
Does that mean even LS can do this even tho it has no block button? From previews they said you have to use perfect block to get cash with Monsters but if the weapon doesn’t have block how can they clash?

Last edited:

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Does that mean even LS can do this even tho it has no block button? From previews they said you have to use perfect block to get cash with Monsters but if the weapon doesn’t have block how can they clash?
Probably give weapons a parry counter or dodge counter clashing move. Switch seems to have maybe a perfect block move. I'd imagine Dual Blades will have a dodge counter thing. Maybe during Demon or Archdemon mode.

I could see them giving LS a clash attack to feel Spirit gauge faster but we will see.

I am curious if we can still do the Mind's Eye Overcharge Sword combo cheese. Depends if they keep Condensed Element Slash.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
LS is gonna have some guard point shit like every weapon...or maybe during counters:lollipop_fire::lollipop_fire::lollipop_fire:

dba3bd89-a43d-4861-af73-2d2853a23d1a_text.gif

GymWolf

Gold Member
Yo Danjin44 Danjin44 , little clarification, so basically weapons have both clashes and reposte (not sure if i wrote the word right) attacks that are like parries, what rurikhan saw with the switch axe and wrongly called a clash was really a reposte not a clash and he then confirmed that not every weapons have clashes but most of them have reposte attacks, some weapons don't have neither like the insect glave.

So yeah you need a shield for clashes and strangely enough some weapons don't get any of the new features :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:

Danjin44

Yo Danjin44 Danjin44 , little clarification, so basically weapons have both clashes and reposte (not sure if i wrote the word right) attacks that are like parries, what rurikhan saw with the switch axe and wrongly called a clahs was really a reposte not a clash and he then confirmed that not every weapons have clashes but most of them have reposte attacks, some weapons don't have neither like the insect glave.

So yeah you need a shield for clashes and strangely enough some weapons don't get any of the new features :lollipop_grinning_sweat:
It’s basically any weapon who can block can use clash feature like, Lance, Gun Lance, Great Sword, Sword & Shield and Charge Blade.

GymWolf

Gold Member
It’s basically any weapon who can block can use clash feature like, Lance, Gun Lance, Great Sword, Sword & Shield and Charge Blade.
Yeah and some weapons (probably the heavy one?) have reposte that are like counters that you have to make at the last second to get a similar effect.

It's just strange that some weapons don't get neither of the two, fighting moron had a list with all the weapons and what they get in the stream he made with ruri.

Danjin44

Yeah and some weapons (probably the heavy one?) have reposte that are like counters that you have to make at the last second to get a similar effect.

It's just strange that some weapons don't get neither of the two, fighting moron had a list with all the weapons and what they get in the stream he made with ruri.
It makes sense, it would be strange trying clash with the monster using Bow or Dual Blades. Clash is meant to stop the monster and create opening for your team to attack.

GymWolf

Gold Member
It makes sense, it would be strange trying clash with the monster using Bow or Dual Blades. Clash is meant to stop the monster and create opening for your team to attack.
I think all the weapons that don't get clashes and reposte attacks get special dodge skills to counter that.

Danjin44

I think all the weapons that don't get clashes and reposte attacks get special dodge skills to counter that.
I mean weapons like LS don’t need it since it already has enough counters. I know both Bow and Duals Blades has special dodge, Bow is specially really good since it refills you stamina when you do successful dodge.

About the framerate, most Monster hunters games are running with an uncapped framerate. World was running at like 35 fps on PS4 and it did not prevent it been the most successful Monster Hunter ever on console and loved by many. I really hope they still have an uncapped framerate for Wilds.

Danjin44

Yo Danjin44 Danjin44 listen to the growl of rey dao in this video

I hope they made more horror-ish screams for other monsters.

Yup I love roar for Rey Dao it’s eerie but also fits him very well.

In some ways he reminds me of Astalos with insect like look to him.

Last edited:

Danjin44

game looks like a ps2 game. no reason for it to be 30fps reeeeeeee
Yeah, I dont know how some people can think like that while looking at the game......it like they have short term memory how games used to look like.

Last edited:

Comandr

Yeah, I dont know how some people can think like that while looking at the game......it like they have short term memory how games used to look like.
I'm mostly frustrated by the drive bys from people that can't understand or appreciate WHY the game would be limited to 30FPS. For instance, you might recall in one of the trailers that a Balahara opens up a sand pit and a few characters fall into a lower level. We have yet to see that again, but there could be an entirely explorable area UNDER the map, with dynamic ways to access it. These sort of processes and calculations aren't FREE. You just take one glance at it and say "looks ugly" and assume it's just an unoptimized mess from a developer that doesn't know what the fuck they're doing.

Capcom has consistently given us amazing looking games with this engine; and on top of that, it's proven to be HIGHLY moddable. This game is coming from an extremely talented team that puts an enormous amount of care into the product.

I can't wait.

Last edited:

.Xeno

Neo Member
I think I'll go PC this time for Wilds because of the same release date. Hopefully they do a 60fps mode for consoles.

Top Bottom