• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter Wilds reportedly running at 30 FPS on Consoles

Draugoth

Gold Member
Novo-trailer-Monster-Hunter-Wilds-01.png

Monster Hunter Wilds seem to be limited to 30 FPS on consoles like Dragon's Dogma 2 according to a content creator who played the demo:
Demo was on a ps5, didnt run at 60fps but felt like a stable 30fps

There's still hope it might have other frame rate options at release:
I saw no option to switch to performance mode but that might change in the full release
Dragon's Dogma 2 was also tested to be running at 30 FPS at the showcase demos and reported to be running at 30FPS prior to release so i woudn't be surprised at all if it turned out the same for MH: Wilds.

Codes 208

The game looks phenomenal so something had to give. I’ll be playing on pc so this is a non-issue but frankly it wouldnt have stopped me getting the ps5 version

(The only reason im not is because my friends are on pc and i doubt this will have cross-play)

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
New gen only like Dogma 2, so understandable. Probably might be unlocked fps like Dogma 2 too.

The game looks phenomenal so something had to give. I’ll be playing on pc so this is a non-issue but frankly it wouldnt have stopped me getting the ps5 version

(The only reason im not is because my friends are on pc and i doubt this will have cross-play)
They confirmed crossplay a few months ago.

Skifi28

It's still too early to say much, but even 30fps wouldn't be so bad if they could actually lock it there with proper framepacing this time. We'll see.

jcorb

Eww... I can certainly take 30fps for more cinematic experiences, but Monster Hunter seems like a series that really needs that higher fps to really feel good to play.

Not saying it's a deal-breaker, but I would happily take worse visuals for a higher frame-rate. As good as the RE Engine looks, I personally think there's a threshold where the more detailed things look, the *worse* they look. I still hold that the Ninja Gaiden reboot back on original Xbox still holds up, despite being more "realistic", because I think it doesn't get carried away with over-designed, over-textured nonsense.

tmlDan

That’s a bit disappointing to be honest. They couldn’t push it to 40 for people with VRR TVs/Monitors? 😞
just cause a demo was in 30 doesn't mean the final game wont have multiple gfx modes, it still has no release date ppl need to chill

Last edited:
Reactions: Fbh
I don’t like Monster Hunter at all, to me it’s one of the most overrated big franchises in gaming history. That said, the performance hasn’t really seemed like an issue much in the past, and the game isn’t even due out for probably 6+ months. Why are people calling this out on a pre-alpha demo? This is why devs are so hesitant to show anything to anyone these days. Someone always trying to get clout and clicks… 🤡 🤦‍♂️

Last edited:

Lokaum D+

If Its anything close to DD2 performance fuck Capcom.

From what they showed this game should run just fine at 1440p@60, no need for 4k or RT modes imo.

Last edited:

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
why tho? The game looks like it was made for ps4

Comandr

I don’t like Monster Hunter at all, to me it’s one of the most overrated big franchises in gaming history. That said, the performance hasn’t really seemed like an issue much in the past, and the game isn’t even due out for probably 6+ months. Why are people calling this out on a pre-alpha demo? This is why devs are so hesitant to show anything to anyone these days. Someone always trying to get clout and clicks… 🤡 🤦‍♂️
Well for starters I'd like to point out that your opinion is wrong.

Secondly, the game is definitely not pre-alpha, and neither is this demo. So often game trailers say "pre-alpha" footage, and that's simply ... not true. Let's talk briefly about what game development looks like.

Prototype:
7753373.png
This is an image of Horizon Zero Dawn's prototype phase. Looks pretty different, huh? At this point they are just testing things to see what works, what feels good, getting a better idea of how they want the game to feel to play. The "game" is probably little more than a small demo area to run around and mess with stuff.

Pre-Alpha:
pre-alpha-means-that-the-game-is-in-early-stages-of-v0-wnk757vdpwic1.png
Here's Control in pre-alpha. It's rough. It's coming together though. Assets are still missing, designs aren't final, it looks and runs like ass. The game is overwhelmingly unlikely to be considered "playable" at this point. Of course you can control the character and do stuff, but many triggers, quests, objectives, etc probably don't really function at this point yet.

Alpha:
pre-alpha-means-that-the-game-is-in-early-stages-of-v0-7dqevyjrkwic1.png
Now we're really cooking. Alpha is when a lot of systems and elements start to come together and the developers are pushing for a complete product. Some assets are in, many placeholders are still in use, but the game should be playable to some extent. You might be able to play one or two levels. You're still going to find areas that lack collision, you're going to fall through the world, or suddenly get launched four hundred feet in the air when you get attacked. Think Skyrim. At some point during Alpha is generally when a company will release a game to their internal QA team for testing and bug hunting/reporting. Each build of the game will have many iterations, Alpha 1, 2, 3, and depending on the game or developer, you might move through these pretty fast. It might only be a day or two between versions as massive game crippling bugs get ironed out and features implemented.

Beta:
ZWC9dHi.jpeg
Here's a beta screenshot of GoW2018. Beta is a tough one, because the word means different things to a lot of different people. Typically, a beta is when the game is considered "feature complete," and can be played start to finish. In Dad & Boy of War's case, a lot of things can still change and improve during this period. Entire models might change or details added to characters and environments where there weren't any previously. This is the stage where everything really cooks and becomes pretty. Beta is when QA testers will push the limits of the game, doing all sorts of weird shit to try to break it. They'll open and close menus as fast as they can, mash every button on every screen, run and jump endlessly into every seam and piece of geometry they can find to try and fall through the world. At this point, the game should be fully playable from beginning to end; generally all quest triggers and flags should work, the game has minimal crashing, and should operate as expected. Many graphical bugs and oddities will persist during early betas, for which there are many. A game will typically be in a "beta" phase for several weeks to several months, before entering the final phase

Release Candidate. After the poor QA team has hammered this game as hard as they could and reported every minor nitpicky spelling error, geometry seam, game crash, freeze, stutter, unusual character traits like a character having hilariously large hands... The game finally moves to RC1, then 2, 3, and so on. These RC builds will be pushed hard, and everyone on the development team is trying to break the game any way they can so that it holds up in the hands of players. After a period where no major bugs are being found the game can finally, jesus, finally...

Going Gold: The approved RC build of the game is submitted and considered "good enough," to ship to be pressed and sealed up in boxes and put on shelves. At this point, the developers will go home and binge drink and try to forget all about those horribly large hands, god, those hands haunt them so. The following Monday, the team will get started on any day one patches or upcoming fixes that have been found since going gold and that build being shipped off. If a devastatingly critical bug is found during this time, the whole process is halted and a new RC will have to be submitted and approved for printing. This is expensive and time consuming and no developer, or publisher, wants to have to go through it.

And that's basically active game development in a nutshell

uh what was your question again?

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
why tho? The game looks like it was made for ps4
Wilds
tKqfRsZ.jpeg

World
yluCQRk.jpeg

1hSYpy9.jpeg

the_handler_by_scarletcavaliere_dddprpy-fullview.jpg
c_img_03_t.png

Not to mention the scale of Wilds MUCH bigger than World.

hese games have always looked like 360 games, there shouldn't be any excuse for this to run less than 60 on PS5.
Please show me 360 game that looks like this....
Monster-Hunter-Wilds---1st-Trailer-_-PS5-Games-0-41-screenshot.png

monsterhunter-wilds-promotional-video-3-1.jpg

Monster-Hunter-Wilds_20240820_27.jpg

Last edited:
Well for starters I'd like to point out that your opinion is wrong.

Secondly, the game is definitely not pre-alpha, and neither is this demo. So often game trailers say "pre-alpha" footage, and that's simply ... not true. Let's talk briefly about what game development looks like.

Prototype:
7753373.png
This is an image of Horizon Zero Dawn's prototype phase. Looks pretty different, huh? At this point they are just testing things to see what works, what feels good, getting a better idea of how they want the game to feel to play. The "game" is probably little more than a small demo area to run around and mess with stuff.

Pre-Alpha:
pre-alpha-means-that-the-game-is-in-early-stages-of-v0-wnk757vdpwic1.png
Here's Control in pre-alpha. It's rough. It's coming together though. Assets are still missing, designs aren't final, it looks and runs like ass. The game is overwhelmingly unlikely to be considered "playable" at this point. Of course you can control the character and do stuff, but many triggers, quests, objectives, etc probably don't really function at this point yet.

Alpha:
pre-alpha-means-that-the-game-is-in-early-stages-of-v0-7dqevyjrkwic1.png
Now we're really cooking. Alpha is when a lot of systems and elements start to come together and the developers are pushing for a complete product. Some assets are in, many placeholders are still in use, but the game should be playable to some extent. You might be able to play one or two levels. You're still going to find areas that lack collision, you're going to fall through the world, or suddenly get launched four hundred feet in the air when you get attacked. Think Skyrim. At some point during Alpha is generally when a company will release a game to their internal QA team for testing and bug hunting/reporting. Each build of the game will have many iterations, Alpha 1, 2, 3, and depending on the game or developer, you might move through these pretty fast. It might only be a day or two between versions as massive game crippling bugs get ironed out and features implemented.

Beta:
ZWC9dHi.jpeg
Here's a beta screenshot of GoW2018. Beta is a tough one, because the word means different things to a lot of different people. Typically, a beta is when the game is considered "feature complete," and can be played start to finish. In Dad & Boy of War's case, a lot of things can still change and improve during this period. Entire models might change or details added to characters and environments where there weren't any previously. This is the stage where everything really cooks and becomes pretty. Beta is when QA testers will push the limits of the game, doing all sorts of weird shit to try to break it. They'll open and close menus as fast as they can, mash every button on every screen, run and jump endlessly into every seam and piece of geometry they can find to try and fall through the world. At this point, the game should be fully playable from beginning to end; generally all quest triggers and flags should work, the game has minimal crashing, and should operate as expected. Many graphical bugs and oddities will persist during early betas, for which there are many. A game will typically be in a "beta" phase for several weeks to several months, before entering the final phase

Release Candidate. After the poor QA team has hammered this game as hard as they could and reported every minor nitpicky spelling error, geometry seam, game crash, freeze, stutter, unusual character traits like a character having hilariously large hands... The game finally moves to RC1, then 2, 3, and so on. These RC builds will be pushed hard, and everyone on the development team is trying to break the game any way they can so that it holds up in the hands of players. After a period where no major bugs are being found the game can finally, jesus, finally...

Going Gold: The approved RC build of the game is submitted and considered "good enough," to ship to be pressed and sealed up in boxes and put on shelves. At this point, the developers will go home and binge drink and try to forget all about those horribly large hands, god, those hands haunt them so. The following Monday, the team will get started on any day one patches or upcoming fixes that have been found since going gold and that build being shipped off. If a devastatingly critical bug is found during this time, the whole process is halted and a new RC will have to be submitted and approved for printing. This is expensive and time consuming and no developer, or publisher, wants to have to go through it.

And that's basically active game development in a nutshell

uh what was your question again?
Calling an “opinion” “wrong”, is an interesting approach…and also a way to make me not read your shit. An opinion can’t be wrong…welp…because it’s an opinion 🤷‍♂️. Your time, and long ass response, is better equipped for an argument that’s “factual”, and not based on an “opinion”.

Your sarcastic passive aggressive garbage you responded with leads me back to my initial question…except changed this time…

What is your point, numb nuts? I know wtf “active game development” is, believe it or not. My point, is that we are out here judging performance, based on some early ass gameplay of a game that’s not due out for 6+ months…or are you confused about my “opinion”?

Lokaum D+

Please show me 360 game that looks like this....
Monster-Hunter-Wilds---1st-Trailer-_-PS5-Games-0-41-screenshot.png

monsterhunter-wilds-promotional-video-3-1.jpg

Monster-Hunter-Wilds_20240820_27.jpg
i ll give u that Wilds has a great art direction, now fidelity speaking its just Ok.

look at Horizon FW

it has way more elements then anything we had seeing on these Wilds trailers atm and the game runs great at 60fps on PS5, tech speaking i didnt see anything in Wilds that would make a PS5 "suffer".

Last edited:

LectureMaster

Gold Member
I will be very interested if anyone is doing a deep dive into the RE engine.

It was often praised as one of the best optimized engine for linear games, i.e. all RE remakes, DMC 5, etc. But it seems to struggle quite a bit when transioned to open world , i.e. the DD 2 case, and Wilds is likely continue this trend.

People: we want real next gen games!! Tired of cross gen!! (Most of the ones that play at 60fps are)

Game: here it is. An entirely new gen experiece. *plays at 30fps*

People: “nah im good”

Can’t wait for the reactions when GTAVI releases at 30fps and people will pretend to be shocked and outraged lmao

Last edited:

Bojji

People: we want real next gen games!! Tired of cross gen!! (Most of the ones that play at 60fps are)

Game: here it is. An entirely new gen experiece. *plays at 30fps*

People: “nah im good”

Can’t wait for the reactions when GTAVI releases at 30fps and people will pretend to be shocked and outraged lmao

Does it look next gen to you?

DavJay

I can’t go back to 30 fps. Even Arkham City, my favorite game of all time I can’t go back too. It’s only playable on PC now.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
i ll give u that Wilds has a great art direction, now fidelity speaking its just Ok.

look at Horizon FW

it has way more elements then anything we had seeing on these Wilds trailers atm and the game runs great at 60fps on PS5, tech speaking i didnt see anything in Wilds that would make a PS5 "suffer".

I only played original Horizon, does the second game wild life ecology like World and Wild does? Like Monster hunting other monster, drinking water, sleeping, fighting each other?

In Wilds even small monsters are hunting herbivores.

Sorry to me nothing about Horizon impressive other than surface level eye candy.

NanaMiku

I only played original Horizon, does the second game wild life ecology like World and Wild does? Like Monster hunting other monster, drinking water, sleeping, fighting each other?

Sorry to me nothing about Horizon impressive other than surface level eye candy.
From the demo at Gamescom, the small monsters also attack the big monster when it's down.
Sand particles will stick to your body and weapon;
You can SOS support hunter up to 3 AI.

Lokaum D+

tbh monsters drinking water is really not something that would made the game runs worst or better, my point is that we have way more impressive game technically speaking running better than Wilds ( supposedly )

like LectureMaster LectureMaster said it looks like RE engine suffers to deliver on open world game, just look at DD2, its pushing nothing technically aside from RT and yet runs like shit.

Last edited:
Top Bottom