• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter Wilds reportedly running at 30 FPS on Consoles

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
tbh monsters drinking water is really not something that would made the game runs worst or better.
It has more to do the fact that monsters are interacting with their environments and interacting with each other, both and big and small monsters behaving like real animal in wild life.

Is it though? The CPU still has to compute the AI behavior. Multiply that number because small monsters are usually in a pack.
Not to mention weather effects that actually changes entire environments and terrains.

And Monsters react to weather effects.

Last edited:

Lokaum D+

Is it though? The CPU still has to compute the AI behavior. Multiply that number because small monsters are usually in a pack.
c'mon, like i said, its not like hundreds monster roaming around, if that was the case, games like Cyberpunk or RD2 that has a ton of NPCs on the screen, traffic and endemic life would run at 10fps on these new consoles, AI behavior is not heavy on CPU or GPU.

"WOW, LOOK ENDEMIC LIFE HUNTING IN PACKS, DRINKING WATER, INTERECTING WITH EACH OTHER AND THE INVIROMENT, THAT WAS NEVER DONE BEFORE THIS MUST COST AT LEAST 30FPS" meanwhile, rock* 6 years ago

Last edited:

NanaMiku

c'mon, like i said, its not like hundreds monster roaming around, if that was the case, games like Cyberpunk or RD2 that has a ton of NPCs on the screen, traffic and endemic life would run at 10fps on these new consoles, AI behavior is not heavy on CPU or GPU.
AFAIK the most resource-intensive in MH games are the big monsters. World gave us two big monsters on a map. IIRC Wilds will have 3 big monsters or more on a map.

Comandr

Calling an “opinion” “wrong”, is an interesting approach…and also a way to make me not read your shit. An opinion can’t be wrong…welp…because it’s an opinion 🤷‍♂️. Your time, and long ass response, is better equipped for an argument that’s “factual”, and not based on an “opinion”.

Your sarcastic passive aggressive garbage you responded with leads me back to my initial question…except changed this time…

What is your point, numb nuts? I know wtf “active game development” is, believe it or not. My point, is that we are out here judging performance, based on some early ass gameplay of a game that’s not due out for 6+ months…or are you confused about my “opinion”?
You’re not good with jokes are you

For a MH game 30 would be a disaster.

I would rather have PS4 graphics.

It needs to be super smooth 60 like how MH Rise plays.

Reactions: Fbh
Running?? 30fps???
ozf9zsO.gif

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
30fps is totally acceptable and fine on handhelds, portable PCs and consoles

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Being the same engine as Dragon's Dogma 2 I was expecting this already. Capcom should try and optimize it better for open worlds if they really intend to use this engine for all their games.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Hopefully it's because of the advanced world simulation and not because capcom can't optimize re engine for open world games.

The game looks phenomenal so something had to give. I’ll be playing on pc so this is a non-issue but frankly it wouldnt have stopped me getting the ps5 version

(The only reason im not is because my friends are on pc and i doubt this will have cross-play)
Crossplay was confirmed already.

Darsxx82

It's still too early to say much, but even 30fps wouldn't be so bad if they could actually lock it there with proper framepacing this time. We'll see.
This. I dont want other game with a lot of performance options and none of those are worth it or enjoyable even on TV with VRR.

Concern because, usually, it is one of the typical ones that fall into that error.

Only the very first line was a joke. The rest was just being informative. Many people have no idea how game development works. That’s how we got five hundred pages of people shrieking about how awful gta6 looked when it leaked years ago.
I get it…but I was exaggerating about it being in “pre-alpha”. I know it’s not that early in development. It was more of me taking a shot at people who overreact about something so early before release, when that specific thing has a high probability of being fixed/corrected (like performance) beforehand.

there wouldn`t be any raised eyebrows if the visuals of the game would explain the 30fps which they absolutely don`t.
And that touted world simulation is so far only PR talk soooo...
Well See The Undertaker GIF by First We Feast

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
there wouldn`t be any raised eyebrows if the visuals of the game would explain the 30fps which they absolutely don`t.
And that touted world simulation is so far only PR talk soooo...
Well See The Undertaker GIF by First We Feast
People still talked shit on 30 fps for Hellblade 2 even, so I doubt it. But I do agree the visuals in Wilds aren't really blowing me away. Looks good like all Capcom games but doesn't seem like a huge leap.

Most of the series' history was on handhelds running sub-30 FPS at low resolution. World is really when it came to the forefront and beautiful graphics became a staple of the series that people have now come to expect.

I imagine because Wilds is the next-gen of the series and clearly a huge leap forward gameplay-wise, that given everything it is trying to do that is new, that 30 FPS locked but still at a higher-res may be what we get on console. But if the experience is truly next-gen, which is rare this console cycle, I am fine with that. I put it 100+ hours on base Xbox One and it wasn't great to look at, but damn that game holds up well. 🤷‍♂️

If you want crazy framerates, you prolly own a PC anyway.

Last edited:
I'll rather prefer they push their tech LESS, and go harder on FPS lol
This approach is antithetical to good game design, unless your only goal is to make things look prettier, vs pushing the experience forward and offering something new that wasn't possible in the previous game. New experiences are the lifeblood of gaming improving over time. Unless the only thing you want from a sequel is to simply look better. Which sounds like the death of creativity and eventually the hobby we all love, in my mind.

Last edited:

Wooxsvan

ya based on whats at gamescom i see no way this has a 60 mode on base systems. hope the pro can even hit a stable 60. PSSR, if used, may pull it off?

iv also seen lots of textures slow to load in, just like Dragons Dogma 2.

see the rocks on the left:

Last edited:
People should understand that this game will be the next step for the Monster Hunter series. Beyond the monsters looking super crisp even compared to MH World/Iceborn, the world feel more alive than ever with all the dynamic climate changes, monsters interactions (even small monsters doing their own stuff, and being more numerous), and systems revamping like camping/inventory management/double weapons/etc.

No one can look at this and say it doesn't look gorgeous and current-gen looking:

m_img_05_s.png

m_img_04_s.png

The game will be gorgeous in every conceivable way. Gameplay doesn't even need a mention, as the series always deliver in that front.

R6Rider

Gold Member

"WOW, LOOK ENDEMIC LIFE HUNTING IN PACKS, DRINKING WATER, INTERECTING WITH EACH OTHER AND THE INVIROMENT, THAT WAS NEVER DONE BEFORE THIS MUST COST AT LEAST 30FPS" meanwhile, rock* 6 years ago

I have to agree with this overall at least from the angle that the huge maps of Wilds and the animal interactions shouldn't be as CPU intensive as people are making it out to be.

Even take a look at other games from a different perspective:

Battlefield 2042....Say what you want about the game, but 128 players on huge maps, destruction, weather effects (up to TWO tornadoes tearing through a map), vehicles, etc. and keeping mostly solid 60fps (I never notice it dipping) at 1800p+. Hell you can even look back at BFV which still looks fantastic and has very detailed maps and still managed 60fps on base PS4 (with dynamic res).

Or even Hitman 3. Large and detailed maps, with hundreds of dynamic NPCs (and even more generic "crowds" on some maps). With tons of interactions between said NPCs, the map, and gadgets/weapons.
-
We've recently seen how shitty the RE engine handles NPCs that are pretty damn basic in areas of cities (which in themselves aren't even that densely populated).

Last edited:

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
Even though the PS4 Pro version runs at 40-45 fps, I'm considering getting Worlds on PC for >60 fps. Playing it at 30 fps would be like playing Souls games at that frame rate—it just doesn't feel as good. I hope my 9700k processor can handle running it at 60 fps.

Even though the PS4 Pro version runs at 40-45 fps, I'm considering getting Worlds on PC for >60 fps. Playing it at 30 fps would be like playing Souls games at that frame rate—it just doesn't feel as good. I hope my 9700k processor can handle running it at 60 fps.
Playing World on PS5 at solid 60… there’s no going back, it’s glorious

Playing World on PS5 at solid 60… there’s no going back, it’s glorious
The magic of modern backward compatibility. But the issue now is that this new game is built ground-up for current-gen, and it's clearly doing a lot more as well than what was going on in World. So the massive headroom in CPU/GPU is now gone. So people will just need to understand that. In previous generations, we've always understood that, but now it seems to be slipping away.

Last edited:
If true, I really don't think Switch 2 will be able to handle this. Maybe they get their own again like Rise.
Nintendo would prefer that, anyway, honestly. Makes a bigger splash and gives them another great exclusive (timed, anyway). In all honesty, the MH teams have been split in two for years now, so the "B team" or whatever you want to call it that finished Sunbreak and title updates last year is probably already knee-deep in the next game to follow after Wilds, whatever it ends up being. Capcom no doubt loves having this rotation of being able to have a big new MH game available every 3ish years without long gaps between.

Top Bottom