• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Tale |OT| Taking care of your metroidvania pet!

Yuterald

I'm 50% in right now and I have 3 of the Kid Crowns. This game can be really addicting. Word of advice for people looking to get 100%. The max level for a monster form is LV30. Do not level up a form to LV30 until you unlock all branching form evolutions. If you level up the base form to max level before unlock its corresponding evolutions you are screwed from unlocking these new forms and new forms add to your total game percentage. So, no 100% unless you unlock every form.

Overall, I can't say too many bad things for this game. One thing I would have liked to see was more environment hazards/obstacles. Pretty much every area is designed the same. Why not make the ice world have slippery floors and slopes? The tube/factory area could have had damaging steam coming out of the walls, etc. Shit like that, I mean, come on, it's still a platformer.

Kandinsky

Well thats too bad, but most games dont have an spanish option per se, they just boot in the language of your system's OS, can anyone with the game check if it works, thanks.

Sorry, I didn't know some games did that. I did change my DS language option to spanish and the game was still all in English. That's too bad because I'd estimate that this is pretty much the perfect game for kids.

Kandinsky

shichishito said:
Sorry, I didn't know some games did that. I did change my DS language option to spanish and the game was still all in English. That's too bad because I'd estimate that this is pretty much the perfect game for kids.
Well, thanks alot for trying I really appreciate it.

D:

Salsa

Kandinsky said:
Well, thanks alot for trying I really appreciate it.

D:

RaidenZR posted this earlier:

RaidenZR said:
We provided the European language support in the game itself, but it's 100% Majesco's decision at this point. I really don't know, though. Last I've heard through other publisher grumblings is that the DS release scene in Europe is next-to-impossible (piracy being rampant) and a guaranteed loss for them. I really don't have any insider information for you, sadly. :(

Im guessing that Spanish is one of those European languages, so i guess that if the games does come out in Europe, it'll have a Spanish option.

Adamator

I'm dying to buy this game, but my DS backlog is ridiculous. This could be the last DS game I buy for awhile though, which is probably a good thing. When your back log includes Dragon Quest IX (and VI), Okamiden, and more. Maybe it's time to stop buying games for awhile.

I've been following this game since it was announced though and reviews I have found have all been positive.

Chocoboko

Was totally about to come in here and complain about the water boss and how you can't dodge his "tidal wave" attack. Then I suddenly remembered you can
wall jump then hug the corner
. Duh. So far I am loving this game. I am loving the calls to other games
princess peach and sora characters
. I wish it was a tiny bit easier to get money but I really havn't been grinding that much so that may just be the way I am playing it.

Overall though, completely love it!

wazoo

Just received my copy.

I like lit a lot.

It is a shame this game will get lost in gen transition (and piracy).

JEKKI

I just found out about this game yesterday!!!

I remember waaaay back in the days (not really waaaay back btw, jus not too long ago) I read the Henry Hatsworth doods were working on a new game.

I love the Hatsworth and was hype for the new game!!

I had no idea that that actual game came out a few weeks ago!!!

so yes! backlog be damned! I impulsively bought this and will push back all other games in gametime for this game!!

I'm in what I believe to be the home stretch of this game now, and Henry Hatsworth fans are in for a surprise.
This game is not only set in the same universe, but Hatsworth is Ellie's great-grandfather
. I've also enjoyed the references to R-Type and Blast Processing. This is a real gamer's game.

It's no classic, and has issues, I feel - the backtracking is laborious, as there is no way to "warp" between areas, you have to make your way on foot each and every time. There's a lot of combat and not a huge amount of variety, but it's still pretty enjoyable.

Chocoboko

Just beat it. Kinda ran into the last boss not really expecting to. Honestly I really loved it. It took me about 9.5 hours. It felt just right time wise. My only real complaint is that there was an awful lot of back tracking. I can't wait for
Monster Tale 2
. I liked this game a lot more than hatsworth so I am sure I will love whatever the next game DreamRift does. Keep the awesome platforming comin!

I finished it last night and overall, I wasn't all that satisfied. It just fizzles out,
you don't even get to see Chomp's mother, unless there's a better ending for 100%.
The gameplay never varies throughout the entire game, and the upgrades don't really do anything to switch up play style.

Stupacabra said:
I finished it last night and overall, I wasn't all that satisfied. It just fizzles out,
you don't even get to see Chomp's mother, unless there's a better ending for 100%.
The gameplay never varies throughout the entire game, and the upgrades don't really do anything to switch up play style.
I just beat the game last night as well and was also disappointed that
we didn't get to see Chomp's mother.

Overall, I did enjoy my time with the game (finished at just under 9 hours with 92.7% complete). My only real complaint would be that there was a little too much backtracking. If there was some way to quickly teleport to areas that you've already been to, that would've been awesome and cut down on some of the tedious backtracking. The game also didn't feel very challenging. Regular monsters didn't feel like much of a threat and were just kind of there as something to kill (in the last hour of the game I found myself running past/jumping over enemies as I just felt tired of fighting them).

Complaints aside, the game was fun. If you like the 2D Metroid games and/or Henry Hatsworth, I'd say that Monster Tale is definitely worth your time.

vgachi57

Kuro Madoushi said:
Hate that fucking rabbit boss...
Haha, I had a lot of trouble with that boss too. Love the sprite of Zoe though.

Right now, i NEED jump rope to unlock the next form. Having a blast so far

warpaint

man this game looks so cute and sweet, so would like to buy this but......damn it i have some many other games i still need to finish BUT IT"S SOOOOOOO CUTE

vgachi57

if someone finds sprite rips from this game, please share the link. my favorite kid boss sprite so far is priscilla, the snooty princess girl.

BentMyWookiee said:
I just beat the game last night as well and was also disappointed that
we didn't get to see Chomp's mother.

Overall, I did enjoy my time with the game (finished at just under 9 hours with 92.7% complete). My only real complaint would be that there was a little too much backtracking.
No, there was a LOT too much backtracking.

Really, that is THE major problem I had with this game. I don't see myself playing it again because of this (I got a 99.6%. I tthink ). Its annoying as fuck and it reminds me of why I made sure I NEVER played the story mode in Brawl again after I got through the 2nd half of it.

Other problems I had ...
Ellie's power ups went from "Cool! I can do that now?!" to "...OK, she can now walk around in that cloudy place I came across that one time that hurts her?". Her skills kinda really dropped in the wow factor at some point.

The enemies were just reskins at some point to appeal to the element chart. I know thats not new to games and that a lot do it but I don't really like seeing just different versions of the same enemy when there are so few types to begin with.

Chomp was under used. Felt like he was FAR too optional.

Final boss was easy as dirt. I had a harder time with
the Rabbit.
But that could be because I grinded the hell out of chomp right outside that room to get the
Dark form and Dark skill mastered

Oh, and I'm also not happy about not
seeing Chomp's mom! :mad:
Over-all it was fun and had great ideas in it. Just feel like it needed a bit more time in the oven so that there wouldn't be a need to backtrack all over the place and maybe Ellie could get more then just minor upgrades after a certain point.

Hopefully there will be a "Monster Tale 2" for the 3DS that fixes these problems and addes even more fun stuff. Would love to see what happens next. :]

This game got me hooked unexpectedly. I think I'm more than halfway done with the game. I'm about to head to that guys secret laboratory in the snowy area with charge beam in hand. Executing long combos is really addictive. The highest combo I think I've gotten is 36 hits.

Az987

all good things
I picked this up today along with Super Scribblenauts (toys r us 2 for $40 sale).

I only played for like an hour but so far I like it a lot.

I'm wondering how long it is though.

IronRinn

Got this game when it was released and played through it pretty religiously, though towards the end I've been slowing down. Currently I'm stuck on the second instance of the game penning you into one screen and sending in waves of enemies. Definitely not my favorite aspect. I hope to finish it, but I'm finding myself distracted by this little difficulty spike.

JEKKI

Az987 said:
I picked this up today along with Super Scribblenauts (toys r us 2 for $40 sale).

I only played for like an hour but so far I like it a lot.

I'm wondering how long it is though.
this game is actually pretty long considering I spend like a whole hour comboing each enemy til they cant be combo'd no more.

IronRinn said:
Got this game when it was released and played through it pretty religiously, though towards the end I've been slowing down. Currently I'm stuck on the second instance of the game penning you into one screen and sending in waves of enemies. Definitely not my favorite aspect. I hope to finish it, but I'm finding myself distracted by this little difficulty spike.

Which one is the 2nd one? I got messed up by one before that had a simple fix.

Grampasso

JEKKI said:
I just found out about this game yesterday!!!

I remember waaaay back in the days (not really waaaay back btw, jus not too long ago) I read the Henry Hatsworth doods were working on a new game.

I love the Hatsworth and was hype for the new game!!

I had no idea that that actual game came out a few weeks ago!!!

so yes! backlog be damned! I impulsively bought this and will push back all other games in gametime for this game!!

yoooo this game is great!!

I got combos!!

whatchu kno about jump canceling?!?!

huh?!?!?!

Navi the Fairy said:

JEKKI

yo man I don't even use jump cancel anymore, I got dat uppercut now.

anyways man unlocking that Dark form is dumb, u basically gotta keep calling and recalling your monster into an enemy so it keeps taking damage o_O

JEKKI

whoo~!!! I beat it!!

100% in just under 10 hours!!

I also managed to pull off a combo so big the game couldnt count it!!!

the counter maxes at 99...

anyways, great game, but not as good as Henry Hatsworth.

at the very least, I wish the bosses were more challenging, coz that should be the most memorable part yet all of them were pushovers...

but other than that, I like all the obscure easter egg references to other games... like Aegis Reflector!!!!

jgkspsx

This is really, really good. I bought it despite reservations about the kiddie artstyle and my backlog because I felt bad for the team and was impressed that Majesco is still trying to publish worthy games. (And, admittedly, my 2D Metroidvania quota wasn't being met otherwise.)

It's about a near-perfect fusion of Metroid and Castlevania. The progression of power unlocks and the way areas are blocked from you feel more Metroid than Vania. The pet evolutions feel much more suited to Castlevania.

The combo-driven combat isn't really associated with either, which makes things a bit more interesting. Killing stuff isn't hard, but getting the optimal drops from them requires getting the timing and combo chaining right. I hardly ever shoot stuff if I can effectively beat it up.

The character and enemy art is meh. Kid-friendly. All the critters look like Pokemon rejects, and Ellie and the other kids aren't anything worth commenting on. The backgrounds and environments are gorgeous, though.

I really like the music. The Sonic 2 Chemical Zone ripoff in Tubeland is probably my favorite piece.

Backtracking and the lack of shortcuts are annoying, but forgivable.

Is it a breathtakingly perfect or particularly original game? No. But it's a deeply satisfying one so far. Pity it will not be a commercial dynamo, but oh well.

I'm surprised it's gotten so little notice here.

Refugio

The colorful and kiddie artstyle was actually what first attracted me to the game.

And yeah the game's great. I just love pulling off combos on enemies and getting all the items they drop. Makes grinding to get all of chomps forms more enjoyable for me.

Definitely looking forward to whatever DreamRift does next.

OnPoint

Glad to see this getting attention again. I'm pretty far in, playing it on and off here or there. Finished the Rabbit boss people seemed to have an issue with no problem (you guys are wimps).

I'm going to probably power through the rest now that I've knocked off Portal 2. I like this game a lot, still.

AwRy108

Heard Patrick K. talking about this on the latest GiantBombcast; and once he expressed his undying love for Henry Hatsworth, I knew I could trust his opinion. Gonna have to track a copy of this one down, though I'm not sure I'll spring for it until it's $20 or less.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
At last, I'm finally able to start playing this title.

Through the first world, I can definitely see why it's an attractive title. It's simplistic, but addictive gameplay. The look of the title is great. Very.. 16-bit era feeling.

Complaints thus far is that the game is really linear. There's not that many secrets to be found, at least on the first trip through.. and it's basically point A to point B.. despite having a very Metroidish map. Likewise, I was hoping the upgrades for both the pet and human would be a bit more RPGish.

Very addictive though, hopefully I'll finish it this week.

jgkspsx

OnPoint said:
Finished the Rabbit boss people seemed to have an issue with no problem (you guys are wimps).
Yeah, totally.
I died twice.

It's an interesting contrast to Shantae. Interesting mechanics, wonderful feeling of momentum etc. for movement and melee combat, potentially deep pet assist system... and yet once you get about 60% into the game the levels become totally uninteresting and repetitive. There's really no "platforming" - you're almost never in danger of environmental hazards, and (with a few exceptions) enemies get harder via elemental affinities and ludicrously increasing their attack/HP rather than interesting changes to strategy.

I'm in priscillaville now, 87% complete, and am very unimpressed with level design and enemy placement. It feels very much like they spent all their time and budget on getting the character's mechanics right and building out skills and attributes for Chomp (most of which are not worth using), and ran out of budget for, you know, making a game.

Shantae, on the other hand, has much more interesting levels, but the combat and motion feel weightless and just don't interest me much.

Not that it wasn't a lot of fun - I may even pick up Henry Hatsworth if it's as good as this. It just makes you appreciate the classic Metroids and Igavanias much more for by-and-large providing both a deep system of combat/movement and for giving you the proper environmental and enemy challenges to make you really need all the tools you've been given.

eXistor

My main criticism of the game would be the boring level-design and lack of secrets. It feels like Metroid 1 in that regard, just randomly placed platforms to jump on,but no real coherence. I love how much variety there is in the levels themselves (graphics-wise) but again, all the levels feel the dame due to the design.

Compared to games like SotN, Super Metroid or Shadow Complex, there is a distinct lack of secrets in the game. You have no reason to search the levels for stuff because there isn't anything to find except for a few useless gems here and there. In Metroid every block could potentially hold an upgrade, here there's nothing of the sort, all you do is grind enemies for gems and buy upgrades. Which brings us to the back tracking: seriously overdone. You need to traverse a big part of the map to go past an obstacle only to get an upgrade you can use back on the other side of the map! This happens several times. Without any secrets to find in the meantime, back tracking becomes very tedious.

And my last part of criticism is the controls. They work fine, don't get me wrong, but when you're playing a game that so obviously wants to be like the aforementioned Metroid or SotN, you can;t help but compare the games and here is where the controls fail: no weight, no momentum. Henry Hatsworth had the same problem. In Super Metroid, everyone could play and finish the game, but to really master the controls took time and skill. Monster Tale controls just fine, but the second you play the game, you've mastered it, there is no nuance to it. Now this doesn't have to be such a bad thing and it might just be me being overly critical, but I never could shake the feeling there should have been more to it.

Now I've noticed myself latching on to the lesser aspects of games and harping on those instead of also mentioning what's good about a game (it's funner to bitch about something I guess) so let me just say this: I actually really like Monster Tale. The graphics are colorful and diverse as are the levels themselves: you never spend too much time in one place, you get a nice, steady flow of upgrades that progress the game, the difficulty ramps up nicely towards the end without ever being frustrating.

Money is actually useful in this game. You use it to get upgrades, but it's rare that you have enough cash to actually but everything you want, which makes seeking out money actually worth something. The music, especially its main theme is very nice, also quite diverse which is always a big plus in my book.

The combat works very well too, I love how the game forces you to use both the blaster and melee attacks in equal measure and how you really can't rely on just one or the other, you have to combine attacks regularly which results in a very nice overall combat flow.

If I seem overly critical, it's probably just my own problem. I can't help but compare a game similar to some of my favorite games (Super Metroid being probably my #1 or #2 game of all time). But grading the game on its own it really does do alot of thing right and if you're a fan of the genre I highly recommend checking it out.

OnPoint

Finished this today. What a
let down of a final boss. It couldn't have been any easier

I think the game was pretty good overall. I felt like it didn't start dragging until
the teleport areas in Pricilla's Castle, where you returned to the previous areas

The lack of secrets kind of sucks. But the game was overall a pretty darn fun time, despite being relatively easy.

jgkspsx

Finished it today. I don't think it's a spoiler to say that the final boss was one of the easiest in the game.

I still feel that the mechanics are the part that felt right. It was like what Metroid would feel like with melee attacks. Is there momentum in Igavanias or Metroid? I don't remember there being, unless you're talking about dashing/shinesparking in Metroid. But if you run into an obstacle, you stop cold, not bounce off or trip or anything.

But the level design was completely boring and unchallenging. I don't know how you can compare it with Metroid 1, which is chock-full of obscure secrets and which has a pretty sensible level design. It also has actual platforming challenges.

It was a worthwhile game. They would have done much better spending less time on different forms and actions and more time on making the levels interesting. Maybe the last boss too.

HYDE

Banned
this thread answered a topic i had in mind.
i was gonna ask, are there any games releasing for the DS that are going unnoticed at the end of it's life cycle?
perfect answer thanks.

i remembered shantae for the GBC, and drill dozer for the GBA, and got thinking there had to be one for the DS.

Finished a few days ago. Took 9 and a bit hours.

I like the game, but it got really tedious in the middle portion with too much backtracking. Combat gets repetitive too, which is why I don't really like these combo based action games too much. If they do a sequel it should be based more on platforming and enviromental hazards than just enemies. But overall it was an enjoyable game. I'd say worth buying for $20 or less.

I unlocked all the forms now (and level upped till I mastered their attack), bought all upgrades and filled all trait slots, but I'm still at 94.6%. I think I'm missing the Special Attacks, but I have zero idea what they are or how to activate them. Just know they exist from the upgrade shop.

EDIT: nevermind, beat it again and got 100%. Still have no idea what the special attack upgrade means.

Top Bottom