• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

mortal kombat: deception intro vid

BuddyC

Cool stuff. Strange as it may be, I was always intrigued in the story of the MK series...going so far as to read the books they released way back when.

it's a good thing i got the MK6 intro out of the way in advance... when i saw that they killed liu kang in the MK5 intro, i turned off the system, walked away from the tv and didn't play the game for month...

Notorious

evil ways said:
Sadly........
Liu Kang is back

pukey.gif

evil ways

Maybe it's his alternate costume but in the video he's shown, he looks exactly like he did on the Deadly Alliance intro when he gets killed. I don't like him, but if he's back at least I hope there's a twist to his return, like now he's evil and allied with The Dragon King.

I may finally buy another MK after being betrayed many times by Midway in the past. MK3, UMK3 and Trilogy all pushed me away from the series. MK4 was a step forward but not nearly enough and I think MK5 was a good start but it needed much more polish. This looks to have everything I ever wanted.

Anyanka

You thought MK4 was an improvement? I think you're the only person I've EVER seen say that.

I think it's ok, but don't like it more than the 2D games. MK3 is the best!

Anyanka said:
You thought MK4 was an improvement? I think you're the only person I've EVER seen say that.

I think it's ok, but don't like it more than the 2D games. MK3 is the best!
In my opinion MK3 sucked it hard and only lived on because of the massive hype keeping it alive. I mean, Stryker? What the fuck? That dude was clearly the janitor who cleaned Midway's studio after hours. And the goddamn robots were wearing Motocross protection. And the whole dial-a-combo shit was far less interesting than make-it-up combos from MK2.

EDIT: Had to correct the janitor's name.

Anyanka

An earlier video showed him actually fighting in the game. He was pretty big. He grabbed Shujinko, flew up into the air and slammed him down.

LakeEarth

I don't know why... I really DON'T know why, but Stryker and Nightwolf are back in Deception. In my opinion, Nightwulf is the worst MK character ever in design, I know you can really kick ass with him, but for the love of god, Native American, yeah that hasn't been done before a hundreed thousand fucking times.

Anyanka

evilromero said:
In my opinion MK3 sucked it hard and only lived on because of the massive hype keeping it alive. I mean, Stryder? What the fuck? That dude was clearly the janitor who cleaned Midway's studio after hours. And the goddamn robots were wearing Motocross protection. And the whole dial-a-combo shit was far less interesting than make-it-up combos from MK2.

Stryker's cool, one of my favorite characters.

The robots really are Sal Divita wearing bmx stuff and their "dreadlocks" are funny...but I still think they are really cool. I love their noises and the way they short out when they're dizzy after losing.

I like MK3's combos more than II. Not just dial-a-combos, but it has better juggles. Especially UMK3.

MK3 has the best story and backgrounds in the series too.

Let's compile a list of the worst characters from the MK series:

Nightwolf
Stryker
Sindel
Shiva
Jade
Every goddamn ninja from UMK3
The MK3 Sub-Zero design

But Deadly Alliance definitely bumped it up with some pretty interesting new characters. Did they bring back the robots in Deception? I didn't mind them so much because of their great moves but it'd be a relief if they got a major overhaul. As if MK3 was just a bad dream.

Anyanka

LakeEarth said:
I don't know why... I really DON'T know why, but Stryker and Nightwolf are back in Deception. In my opinion, Nightwulf is the worst MK character ever in design, I know you can really kick ass with him, but for the love of god, Native American, yeah that hasn't been done before a hundreed thousand fucking times.

They wanted to bring back lesser known, rarely used characters. Notice Sindel and Kabal, also characters who debuted in MK3 and were never seen again, are in. I like it. I wasn't a huge fan of Nightwolf, but it's cool seeing people return other than the same old same old.

Stryker is only back in a background, standing in a jail cell. As far as we know he isn't playable or fightable. At least not yet.

Apparently EVERYONE is back in some capacity. Most being in Konquest.

Anyanka

evilromero said:

Nightwolf
Styker
Sindel
Shiva
Jade
The MK3 Sub-Zero design

But Deadly Alliance definitely bumped it up with some pretty interesting new characters.

Stryker and Sindel are favorites of mine and the unmasked MK3 is my favorite incarnation of Subby.

My list of the worst:
Noob Saibot
Ermac
Rain
Bo' Rai Cho
Kai

I thought Kai was insanely boring and lame looking. Bo' was just plain unfunny. I hate the halfassed, cut and paste ninjas. Like I understand having Scorp, Sub and maybe one more as a hidden character like Reptile. But when you've got like 5-7 it's just ridiculous. Especially when they share so many animations and moves.

Ristamar

MK II was the first, last, and only incarnation of the series I really enjoyed. Deadly Alliance wasn't bad, just not my cup of tea.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
I really really liked MK3. Cyrax (he was the yellow one, right?) had some SICK combos if you could time his grenades right. I'd lay those bitches in such a way that it fucked my friends over and over...

evil ways

I always thought MK4 was the worst out of the series. The animations look like crap, the characters act like lifeless dummies and the music was not up to par with the previous games.

Plus Shinnok was a lame boss, especially since you could play as him.

Anyanka

I hate how he doesn't even have any of his own moves. When you fight him the CPU never does the impersonations either. I don't get that. Did Boon just forget to program it into the AI? Sad.

The story is really good though. The build up is good. MKM was basically an entire game hyping him.

I like 4 more than DA. From best to worst it's 3, II, 1, 4 and DA for me.

Matlock

Banned
Call me crazy, but the guy that lamented about creating the Dragon King looked kind of like Kung Lao. Knowing that that the Lao/Kang bloodline had a thing for dragons, it's entirely possible that that's the case. :p

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
evilromero said:

Nightwolf
Stryker
Sindel
Shiva
Jade
The MK3 Sub-Zero design

But Deadly Alliance definitely bumped it up with some pretty interesting new characters. Did they bring back the robots in Deception? I didn't mind them so much because of their great moves but it'd be a relief if they got a major overhaul. As if MK3 was just a bad dream.

Rain and Ermac were good. hatar. ok maybe rain was pretty cheap because of his lightning rise then roundhouse 3 times in a row move. but ermac was awesome i thought ;/

evil ways

Matlock said:
Call me crazy, but the guy that lamented about creating the Dragon King looked kind of like Kung Lao. Knowing that that the Lao/Kang bloodline had a thing for dragons, it's entirely possible that that's the case. :p

No, it's Shujinko, the character you play as in Konquest mode as you train, learn new moves, fighting styles and travel the different worlds to learn more of the story. When you start Konquest he's a kid, and when you're finished and have mastered all the skills, secrets etc. he's an old man you can play as in all other modes.

Top Bottom