• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat X |OT| This is NOT a Brutality. This is a FATALITY

Manu

I was planning on using the Master of Souls variation first good to hear that you are finding it working out well. Have you played with all 3 yet? Any comparisons you can give if you have the time?

I haven't even tried the one where he flies since I'm not interested, can't even remember the name atm. But I'll do it and post impressions.

zlatko

Banned
I can't be the only one with this stick..

Isn't the layout of that stick the same as any stick really?

I plan to play like this. Top Row 3 buttons, Bottom Row 3 buttons. All Left from Right:

Light Punch. Heavy Punch. Change Stance.
Block. Light Kick. Heavy Kick.

I think that's what I did in MK9. I can't 100% recall.

Try that.

I can't be the only one with this stick..

People are using whatever they feel with their sticks this game doesn't really have a set layout unless you use the PDP fight stick.

I am going to try to use something like this.

X-1-2
Bl-3-4

Others I've seen are

1-2-Bl
3-4-Stance Change

I prefer to have block closest to my thumb giving me freedom to use my other fingers without feeling stretched out.

I haven't even tried the one where he flies since I'm not interested, can't even remember the name atm. But I'll do it and post impressions.

I believe it's called spectral. Thanks I'll look forward to the post.

Nuszka

it's obviously not Sony's policy dude, it's the developer that decided to region lock the online. And yeah, you'll play in US servers only.

But is it confirmed? Does anyone have a copy of a game from different region? I am still hopeful that the game checks your ip address and assigns you to that region. We live in 2015 , god how hard is it to do it this way.

FaintDeftone

I really wish I could use my SFxT fight stick on the Xbox One. That would have made me purchase that version instantly. PS4 it is.

Quikies83

People are using whatever they feel with their sticks this game doesn't really have a set layout unless you use the PDP fight stick.

I am going to try to use something like this.

X-1-2
Bl-3-4

Others I've seen are

1-2-Bl
3-4-Stance Change

I prefer to have block closest to my thumb giving me freedom to use my other fingers without feeling stretched out.
And @zlatko
Very interesting having block there. I may give that a try. And yeah, the stick is pretty standard - 4 button top and bottom.
Thanks for your post

I'm dying to know, are there any competitive players that prefer controllers to sticks?

I just can't get into using fighting sticks. Is there an undeniable superiority to the control scheme, or is it a throwback to arcades and purely preferential?

The majority of top MK players use pad not stick. You'll be fine playing on pad.

Demoskinos

Glad I finally have a reason to trot this dumb thing out again.
3m9Vu

Khezu

Looks like a broken combo to me . . .

When Reptile turns the screen green, he slows down time, and it reduces gravity in his juggles, so he can basically do what ever the fuck he wants to you, using slide 6 times in a row is probably not the most optimal combo though.

Blueblur1

In the last week I've come to get really excited for this game. I pre-ordered it and will be playing the hell out of it with my Street Fighter buddies. I got the new MadCatz stick pre-ordered, too. Can't wait!

zlatko

Banned
And @zlatko
Very interesting having block there. I may give that a try. And yeah, the stick is pretty standard - 4 button top and bottom.
Thanks for your post

Find what is most comfortable to you is always the best approach.

I prefer block there for my thumb easiness. It's also the closest set up to SF4 for my tastes.

In Guilty Gear Xrd I did this:

Punch.Slash.Heavy Slash.
Kick. Cancel. Dust.(Essentially a heavy kick when crouching)

I think if I had a gripe with MK games in general it's that they have not dropped a block button for just holding the opposite direction to block. I feel they partly won't do it A) because SF does it and B) MK has been doing this for so long.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Yeah I know. The PDP stick isn't the best by a long shot but its fun to play with since theyat least did a good job at making the thing feel like you're playing on a cabinet.

Its not a bad stick. My friend bought two when mk9 came out. You'll just end up with a really beefy left forearm.

zlatko

Banned
Glad I finally have a reason to trot this dumb thing out again.
3m9Vu

No you don't have a reason. Send that thing to a dumpster. Ugly as sin. How did I miss this thing being made? Wow. Worst stick of all time I've laid eyes on.

That has to be the most awkward way to play the game lol.

No you don't have a reason. Send that thing to a dumpster. Ugly as sin. How did I miss this thing being made? Wow. Worst stick of all time I've laid eyes on.

That has to be the most awkward way to play the game lol.

That's how the arcade cabs have been laid out for over 20 years.

Everyone is talking about mains already. Am I the only one who is going to just do story first to get a feel of everyone then decide after that?

I assume a ton of us, if not most, will do story first just because we have raging MK boners to see it ;P Not to mention completing it unlocks a character. I'm sure a lot of people will want to try a number of characters if not all of them before fully deciding their mains but it's natural to see at least one or two that really appeal to you before the game comes out. Whether you end up liking how they play or take to them easily is another story.

SOLDIER

Is the Goro pre-order bonus a code printed on the receipt, or is it something available in all Day One editions? Could I just walk into a Best Buy tomorrow and get the game plus Goro DLC, or does it have to be pre-ordered in advance?

Is the Goro pre-order bonus a code printed on the receipt, or is it something available in all Day One editions? Could I just walk into a Best Buy tomorrow and get the game plus Goro DLC, or does it have to be pre-ordered in advance?

It's included in the game case AFAIK.

Tall Paul

Must stop watching Twitch streams. Entirely new level of intellect on the comments section.

On track though, looks to be an awesome update, will be the first MK I've played for years on console....since Snes Days!!

Circinae

Neo Member
I'm dying to know, are there any competitive players that prefer controllers to sticks?

I just can't get into using fighting sticks. Is there an undeniable superiority to the control scheme, or is it a throwback to arcades and purely preferential?

There are a few, Wolfkrone is one and he plays Street Fighter with it, which is quite unusual. For MK players, an awful lot use controllers.

The main thing with sticks, is that a lot of the notable fighting game scenes are US based and many of the players grew up playing in arcades, so that is what they're used to. You'll find more Europeans on pads compared to US players for instance.

Use whatever you feel comfortable with.

EDIT: More Europeans using pads compared to Americans using pads I mean, not Europeans using pads more than sticks.

DWinn7

I see the digital version for 59. but the premium edition is 10% off at 80.

I really want to play as Jason and Predator, but 80 bucks is pushing it...sheesh

Happ sold their operation to China. Those sticks you used to play on in the arcade are not representative of the current Happ brand.

Check out iL joysticks. Much better "American" sticks. Made in Europe.
Been away from fighters for a while. When did they sell? I've got a crate of shit in the closet from early 2000 for a supergun I never got around to.

Kinsei

Banned
I see the digital version for 59. but the premium edition is 10% off at 80.

I really want to play as Jason and Predator, but 80 bucks is pushing it...sheesh

Just wait until Jason and Predator are released indiviually. If you don't want every DLC character and every costume pack there's no reason to get the Kombat Pass/Premium Edition.

DWinn7

Just wait untiol Jason and Predator are released indiviually. If you don't want every DLC character and every costume pack there's no reason to get the Kombat Pass/Premium Edition.

You're absolutely right. I can wait a bit and enjoy the default roster.

Been away from fighters for a while. When did they sell? I've got a crate of shit in the closet from early 2000 for a supergun I never got around to.

At least 10 years ago. Probably longer ago. The quality and longevity just wasn't there after a while and people did some research and found their switches and materials weren't up to par. I think the optical 360 stick was the last new stick the true Happ company produced.

Edit: I misspoke. Happ moved their production facility from Europe to China, and about that time their quality control seemed to go down the pooper. The European facility rebranded themselves as iL. They're not much more expensive than Happ and I would very much recommend them as a drop in replacement on those terrible MK9 sticks.

Top Bottom